“We felt like we had the five star resort to ourselves” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Beloved Hotel

You added The Beloved Hotel to your Saves list
The Beloved Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Condominio Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico (Formerly La Amada Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% Off room rate
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Boston, Massachusetts
“We felt like we had the five star resort to ourselves”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

We just returned from a 6 night stay at La Amada in Playa Mujeres, about 20 minutes north of Cancun's hotel zone. They just opened one month before. We felt like we had the five star resort to ourselves. Although we were told that there were 40 people there, we never saw more than a dozen guests on the resort at any time. The resort truly is beautiful and was the perfect place to unwind, decompress and to celebrate our 12 year wedding anniversary. They brought us champagne and fruit and made us a bath of rose petals for the occasion.

We stayed in the 2 story beachfront casita with 4 foot plunge pool. The plunge pool and roof shower were phenomenal, but be careful on the marble stairs. I was wet from the pool and fell down several steps on the first night; marble does not make for a soft landing. We enjoyed the dual sinks and counter space, but would have preferred a full door for privacy on the toilet. The shower was extraordinary with great water pressure and it had a rain shower head, wall jets and hand held option. The bed was comfortable and there were beds on the veranda and rooftop as well as a rooftop shower. We did not take advantage of the pillow menu.

We received the preopening rate and the included American breakfast, at Aroma ,which would have run an additional $40 per day for two. The generous breakfast included a full fruit/bread/cereal buffet and ala cart egg dishes, mexican dishes or pancakes/waffle/french toast and french pressed coffee/juice. I would avoid the eggs benedict as it was not what you'd expect. The beach restaurant for lunch, Isla Grill, located alongside the infinity pool, was reasonably priced. I recommend the fish of the day - a full red snapper - prepared with garlic or tomato. The filet fish, grouper, was good as well. I would avoid the frozen pizza and the lobster tail was dry. The sangria, in red or white, with lemonade, was delicious. Aroma, for dinner, was also reasonably priced, and much better for food and service. They were very accomodating. The bartender enjoyed experimenting with delicious cocktails, i.e. the kiwi margarita, coconut martini, etc. Roomservice was fast and delicious; I recommend the beef tacquera (? spelling).

The hotel hosted a bonfire night on the beach with sangria followed by a surf and turf dinner, priced at $45 pp and the Lupita lounge had a complimentary cocktail and food tasting. This was an opportunity to meet the GM, Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Manager. Don't forget DVDs for the flatscreen TV and music CDs. If you want more people or variety you are able to buy a day at the Excellence all inclusive resort next door. I think that it was $100 pp from 9 AM to 5 PM or $150 pp for 5 PM - 11PM.

We read that a cab was $70 each way so we rented a car, a Dodge Attitude, for about $160 for the week. Be aware if booking a car online that mandatory liability insurance was not included in the price and was an additional $70. It was pretty easy to navigate to and fro the airport and Cancun and on the 2.5 hours to and 4 hour from ChitzaItza. There is no set up for excursions and they had only a general brochure and very general maps.

Because I do not speak Spanish, there was a bit of a language barrier, but the staff was friendly and tried really hard to help in any way. If you want complete relaxation this is your place.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Korean first
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

My wife and I returned from La Amada Hotel this week and thought the hotel and staff were fantastic. We hope to return there soon.

SERVICE: The service was outstanding. I'm not sure if this was due to the fact that the hotel is new and trying to develop its reputation but the staff really went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. Upon arrival we were greeted kindly by staff with champagne and later the hotel manager came and introduced himself and gave us his card.

LOCATION: The hotel is located about 20 minutes drive north of the main Cancun area and sits in a very quiet location between the partner hotel - the Excellence - and the condos that are being constructed by the hotel. There location is advantageous if you are seeking some peace and quiet (as we were) but is not very convenient for those seeking to travel around and see the greater Cancun area. For those planning to travel around it might be wise to rent a vehicle.

ROOM: We booked a Junior Suite and found the room to be large and very well equipped. We particularly liked the openness of the room which allowed the sea breeze to blow through. The room was equiped with most modern ameneties such as the large HDTV, DVD player, Ipod player etc. The room also contained a bar, jacuzzi, and extremely large shower with multiple jets. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony listening to the ocean except for one evening when we had some noisy neighbors that insisted on playing CNN at full volume on their balcony (I should note that within the room we couldn't hear anything from our neighbors).

RESTAURANTS: Within the hotel complex there are two restaurants with a fairly typical array of meats and seafoods. The service was excellent and when we commented that we wanted some more traditional Mexican food, the Chef created a special menu the next evening for us that was the best food was ate on our trip to Mexico. Another evening my wife commented that she was disappointed Flan was not offered as a dessert - the next evening it was added just for her. Breakfasts offered a variety of options and we tended to opt for the buffet which included fresh fruits, pastries, and cereals.

SPA/FITNESS CENTER: In my opinion the Spa and Fitness Center were simply stunning. Most mornings I used the Fitness Center which was equipped with the most modern equipment. The Spa was enormous and the staff were very friendly and attentive, unfortunately it took three days before we first used the Spa and then we wondered why we took so long.

POOLS: The complex contains a number of infinity pools that are well cared for and a lot of fun. The poolside bar is not yet open but the service staff were eager to deliver drinks to anywhere around the poolside area or beach.

I would definitely recommend the hotel for anyone who wants to enjoy the beach and warmth of Cancun but doesn't want to get involved in the whole "Spring Break" scene.

Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

INITIAL IMPRESSION & ROOM: We stayed at La Amada Feb. 26 - March 2 in an Ocean View Junior Suite and had a very relaxing time. It is located about 30 min from the airport and we were greeted warmly by the staff. Our check in was smooth and we were in our room in less than 10 min. The rooms are gorgeous! We both slept well each night and enjoyed the awesome shower! There is a nice safe to store your valuables and nice HDTV & DVD player. We did not hear noise from other rooms although I would guess the facility was only 20% occupied.
GROUNDS: The grounds are nicely landscaped considernig the facility has only been opened a month. There is construction going on in the condos and marina (cool!)adjacent to the hotel but I really had to strain to hear work going on when I was outside and I never heard any construction noises while in our room. The pools are very nice and kept clean. The infinity pool by the outdoor restaurant is beautiful. We enjoyed staying in the lounge chairs by the ocean. It is very private w/ relatively few people walking along the beach; most of those from the Excellence Playa Mujeres Hotel (which didn't appear as nice to us as La Amada Hotel). Please note that we especially like staying at places that are somewhat secluded and with relatively few people around and these expectations were readily met here at La Amada.
FOOD: The breakfast buffet is a great deal which includes a hot menu item (I loved the Eggs Rancheros) and wide variety of fresh fruit, cold meats including salmon, pastries, cereals and specialty juices for only ~ US$20.00 per person (not including tip). We ate lunch twice at the outdoor restaurant (Isla Grill) and it was reasonable at about $15/entree. We ate dinner three of our four nights at Aroma restaurant. The food was very good and reasonably priced - I would estimate the average entree was ~ $18 to $22 (The beef tenderloin and grilled grouper was great) - generous portions and our bill before tip for two was usually about $65.00 (we don't drink alcohol but did especially enjoy their tropical coconut dessert). There were never any mistakes with any of our orders and the servers were professional and excellent, imo.
GYM & SPA: I used the gym and liked it. Brand new Technogym equipment which was easy to use and plenty of towels and bottled water available. My wife got two spa treatments and was pleased with each. I tried out the sauna and steam room and enjoyed it. Very relaxing place and the aroma makes you not want to leave!!
STAFF: Honestly, we just didn't have any complaints or incidents with the staff. They were all very polite and seemed to genuinely enjoy serving us. Those at the restaurant usually remembered our names and had the right level of conversation that is appropriate and welcomed.
TIPS: 1)Their gift shop was not open yet and we had to have some ibuprofen delivered which was done at a reasonable charge. Do try to take along all the medicine you need so you don't have to send or go for anything. 2)We also had a great day trip to the island Isla Mujeres where we rented a golf cart for $40 and had a blast. The ferry from Puerto Jaurez only costs about $6 round trip and you can pick up some things at the island & take a nice dip at the North Beach. You can actually rent a moped or bicycle or just walk to the North Beach as the island is not all that big.
SUMMARY: We really enjoyed our stay at La Amada, intend to go back, and would highly recommend it!

Salt Lake City, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and I spent 5 wonderfully relaxing days at La Amada in just the second week of it's opening. We paid a reduced rate as a "pre-opening special" so we knew they would have kinks to work out. Others that have reviewed have neglected to mention that they paid a drastically reduced rate to stay there while the staff is basically in training mode. I'm giving the hotel 5 stars because I think once they get the gift shop/deli open, the room service operating more smoothly, and the "new construction smell" aired out, this place will be truly amazing. We loved the seclusion of it -- away from the hotel zone and downtown. The spa is one of the most beautiful & relaxing I've ever been to. It has this incredible aqua circuit you can take advantage of if you book any treatments. The rooms are beautiful - just like the photos - and we loved our swim up suite. The only hotel nearby is next door, the sister property Excellence (all-inclusive). If we wanted, we could have bought a day pass to take advantage of all the restaurants and a show next door, but we're not really all-inclusive people and thus didn't book Excellence to begin with. Nice to have the option, though. We enjoyed running on the beach and there's a paved trail that goes for several miles, plus the gym is top notch. The staff tried really, really hard and the service improved dramatically from day one of our stay to day five. I think they'll get there very quickly.

chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

I actually just now arrived home after spending 4 lovely days at La Amada Hotel. I wish I could've stayed longer. Upon our arrival my husband and I were greeted by the hotel manager with glasses of champagne. Our check in was uncomplicated and we were escorted to our room in a matter of minutes. We noticed the lobby was impeccably clean and beautifully furnished in modern decor. Our deluxe Jr. suite was equally beautiful with expansive views of the ocean, tasteful furnishings, a huge shower and bathroom, a stocked mini bar, a large plasma TV, a jacuzzi tub that also overlooked the ocean and a nice sized balcony complete with an outdoor bed for an afternoon siesta.

We thouroughly enjoyed lounging at the pools during the day and did not have a problem with the service. In fact we were approached by Rene, who introduced himself as our personal "pool concierge." Rene was also invaluable with offering suggestions for dinner outside of the hotel. My husband and I also utilized the fitness center. The equipment was top of the line TechnoGym equipment. Our spa experience was relaxing. The actual massage service was adequate, but not stellar. The spa enviornment was an amazing array of steam rooms, sauna, hot and cold plunge pools as well as refreshments and fruit to eat. I particualrly liked the ambience of the spa...an open air room with sheer white curtains that billowed in the wind...I literally could've relaxed there for an entire afternoon.

The food at La Amada was very good to excellent. We ate at both restaurants, Aroma and Island Grill. We enjoyed shrimp tacos, salmon wraps, pasta dishes and simple breakfasts.

Now, I'd be remiss if I did not mention a few improvements that hotel needs to work on. First, I felt the king bed in our room was a bit uncomfortable. The matress was extremely firm and the sheets felt "scratchy." For a five star hotel they should provide top quality linens for their beds. Also, our suite was located on the 3rd floor and we did here, at times, the person above us walking around. It was especially bothersome as she was wearing heels and we could hear the "tapping" of her every move! I'm not sure what the hotel can do about this. Overall, La Amada does have room for improvement. Having a gift shop available would have been convenient as well as a deli or snack shop to grab a quick cup of coffee to go. Hopefully this will come in time. Also, I would not recommend this hotel for families with children under 6 years old as there is no kiddie pool or other kid friendly activities. They do offer a "kids club," however I don't think it's quite up to speed, yet. I hope this review helps! We plan on going back over Memorial Day weekend w/ our kids and are looking forward to it.

eindhoven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

We (my wife, our 8 months old baby and i) have been in La Amada for 1 week now.
We stayed in the swim up suite and had a chance to stay for a couple of days in the Ocean view terrace suite.
The swim up suite is brilliant, the rooms are great (big and beautiful, as shown on the website). The big terrace with a big 2 persons relax bed ends up in a small garden from witch you can directly access the swimming pool from.
This pool has Jacuzzis, relax beds and parasols. All pools are heated. There is a bar from which you can order drinks from. In the time we where there everyday somebody came to us to inform if everything was ok. 2 Times they asked us what they could do for the guests to improve their service. He also could give us a good advise where to go to in Cancun. Very helpful. The shower in the room is an amazing rain shower and has some other “showering features” . It was very big. Every room has an in room Jacuzzi which we and our baby loved!

The ocean view terrace suite is the same but has a huge terrace with a big round relax bed (see pictures) and a small swimming pool. The view on the ocean was amazing.
The big balcony/terrace on front of the room has the relax bed and breakfast table and looks over the pool and the ocean. Housekeeping sometimes forgets something but 1 call to the reception and it was taken care off.
The staff is great!!

The beach is also beautiful (a little bit windy in the time we were here, 20 Feb. – 8 March); lots of beds, towels, beach service etc.
First day we also saw seaweed however the second day it was removed. They did this everyday with a “ seaweed removing machine” ;-)
Sea was too cold for most people this time of the year to swim in I think, I was the only one in the sea.

You have 2 restaurants, 1 by the sea (closes 6:00 hrs PM) and the main restaurant where they also serve the breakfast. Breakfast is good, good quality of coffee.
The menu is nice, food is very good and prices are reasonable. Wines are fine (skip the Mexican ones).
One day the chef organized an evening where we could taste some Mexican cheesy dishes. The food and beverage manager let us taste his choice of wine.
Was a very nice and relaxing evening. (everything complementary on the house)
The spa we have only seen, we did not took a massage (to difficult with the baby) It was very beautiful.

We rented a car so we were free to go to the hotel zone (lots of luxury shops) and Cancun. Sometimes we went to downtown Cancun, it’s a 30 minutes drive. You have lots of nice restaurants there and can do some shopping.

The vegetation is all brand new, this means the plants are small. They brought in quite a lot of big palm trees however.
Our baby had the best time (especially in the Jacuzzi), we all loved the place.
As far as I can judge, this hotel is ready for business, its beautiful, not to big, relaxing, staff is friendly and capable AND you can bring your kids!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

Our stay at La Amada was from Feb 21-25. The property opened to guests on Feb 6, so my husband and I expected there would be some "bumps" in our stay since we were there only 2 weeks after the grand opening. However, we were really disappointed in just how "unready" it truly was for guests still. Suffice it to say, this hotel has a long, long way to go before it can call itself a 5 staf facility. We are a very well traveled couple and have stayed in many fine hotels (Ritz Carlton's, etc).

In our estimation, the hotel was only about 15% occupied, thus you would think extra attention to detail would be given to each guest, but this was far from true.

Pro's:
-The property itself is very beautiful.
-The rooms are very large and furnished beautifully. Huge showers with multipe shower heads, walk-in closets, sleek white leather furniture; overall very chic and classy.
-3 pools with nice lounge beds.
-Good, reasonably priced food (however, read further in "con's").

Con's:
-VERY poor service. 1) We ordered room service several times, and they did not get the order right one time. We would call back for corrections, and they would say someone was on their way with the needed item, yet no one would ever show up. 2) Our minibar was only restocked one time, so we had to call after 2 days to have it stocked, and even then it was only partially filled. 3) We were asked only 1 time (in 3 days) poolside if we would like to order drinks.
-Language barrier. We found that no one really can speak English very well, so communication is somewhat difficult (we don't speak Spanish).
-By the time we stayed, they had installed privacy curtains around the jacuzzi tubs in the rooms (a previous review stated that only shear curtains were present). However, during our stay, they added area rugs to our room one day while we were out. Obviously the rooms are still not completely furnished.
-The beach was filthy with large amounts of seaweed and sand burs. Not anything like the flawless pristine beaches for which Cancun is known. On our last day bull dozers appeared to be clearing the beach rubble, but again, this should have been done before opening day.
-The gift shop was not open yet, which was very inconvenient. So popping in to purchase a pack of gum, bandaids, crackers, etc. was out of the question.
-The spa itself is small, but nice. However, the massages we received were less than satisfactory. In fact, we decided to not book any further appointments.
-The gym equipment was adequate, but they did not have headphones for guest use, nor did they have water available 3 out of 4 days.

The hotel is in an isolated area, which is nice. We stayed on the property the entire time, and although frustrated at times, we did manage to have a relaxing trip overall. We feel that in time (6-12 months), the kinks will probably be worked out. It is our opinion, however, that they were not ready to open when they did, and they should have waited until they could better serve their guests who are expecting 5 star service. The one saving grace for us was that we got a great deal on our stay with reduced rates, so we do not feel we were "ripped off". We hope with time the staff becomes more polished and professional so that this beautiful facility wil live up to all of it's promising potential.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Beloved Hotel? Share your experiences!