“3rd Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Beloved Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Beloved Hotel to your Saves list
The Beloved Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Condominio Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico (Formerly La Amada Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Playa Mujeres
Aurora, Canada
“3rd Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

My wife and I just spent another 14 days at The Beloved. Apart from some delays at the airport everything else was great. The staff treated us like family, checking on us every time we were on the beach or around the pool. We stayed in a two storey beachfront casita. The roof top pool and sun deck are amazing. After breakfast we would go upstairs and enjoy the sun and the wonderful views. The lower deck has a very comfortable bed, table and two chairs. On a few nights I slept outside very quiet with no bugs. The wifi works every where even on the beach although we prefer books or magazines. There were a lot of families with young children but it is actually quieter than most adult only resorts we have stayed at. The staff is very good, always doing there best to make everything perfect. Patricio the guest services manager comes around everyday seeing if everything is okay, The hotel manager comes around most days always asking if everything is okay. I guess the fact that we have stayed here 3 times it goes without saying that we like this hotel. For anyone looking for a quiet vacation in a very comfortable hotel you will not be disappointed with the Beloved.

Room Tip: The hotel has a good map on there web site. We used it to pick our room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

1,661 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Ok so if your an Aussie lets face it, its a long way to go. We made this trip as part of our US trip so not too bad. Otherwise get ready for a long plane ride. Its all worth it. The Beloved is part of a small estate with some private condos and a larger sister hotel. Its a gated community away from the hustle and bustle of Cancun. Really, although not difficult, to me this is the type of place you come to unwind and not to go out and wander the streets. Due to its isolated positioning you need a car to get out and its a good 15 minutes to Cancun. If you want to get out and about don't bother staying here as its all inclusive so what's the point. The service is second to none. To be honest, this was the worst place we could have come because now, nothing else comes close to the perfection of the service we received.

By the second day pretty much every one know our surnames and we were always addressed as Mr & Mrs. As much as this is a 5 star resort its not snooty. You know those places that make you feel like you cant afford to be there. Not at the Beloved. Down to earth friendly employees always meticulous and with attention to the smallest detail. My husband and I used to joke that they had microphones on us because no sooner had we commented on something like gee Id like a drink or that pasta could do with some parmesan that blink and it was infront of you. To be honest I still don't know how they did it.

The hotel was constantly being checked and rechecked. Check the table didn't wobble check the phone works check check check every day someone checked one thing in our room it was incredible. The free wifi is great gets slow at peak times but what do you expect? Besides you should be relaxing so put your iPad/Pod/Pee whatever away.

We had a pool access room OMG. You will see from the photos absolutely beautiful and really bid. Mini bar constantly stocked and my husband put a pretty good dent in it and the next day more. If you get a pool access room try for the building closest to the beach as that pool gets sun for longer and is warmer. We got to our room one night to find a big Happy Anniversary banner on our door and a bottle of champagne on ice. I giggled like a school girl and couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

Food was delicious - now I say this because in Australia we have become accustomed to American size (LA) portions. In comparison the portions were not big however they were the right size and by the time you finished entrée main and desert you were full. We tried all the restaurants and they were great.

If you want a beach that's blue with white sand go somewhere else. Because of the tide the whole coast we were on was covered in seaweed and as much as they raked it away it just kept coming back so you need to tread through knee deep for a meter and a half before getting in the water which is as warm as a bath and clean. If you don't like seaweed there are 3 fabulous pools so stop whining or go with the hoards of tourists to Cancun.

We did a full day tour of Chichen Itza. Fabulous day out very experienced tour guide great lunch and comfortable transport.

By the time we left we felt we had had a 3 year holiday and didn't want to leave. Now I cant remember the waiters name as we went November 2013 and ive been slack but he did ask me to mention his Strawberry Jubilee which he specially made for us on our last night and it was fantastic.

Make sure you take some money to tip. Its not expected but these guys work their butts off and deserve it so don't be a tight wad it wont send you broke. We tipped 20 pesos at Breakfast 40 at lunch and 50 at dinner and 20 to the pool drinks guy

Thank you The Beloved you run a very professional operation and certainly world class service. Hope to be back some day.

Room Tip: Pool access room in building 11 rather than 10 as it gets more sun. If you can afford a casita go fo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Where oh where do I start. As I read on so many other reviews, I can only reinforce that this resort has so much potential… If only it were recognized with the right management.

Arrival and Check-in

We arrived around noon and while I hoped for an early and expeditious check-in, we were met with the expected. Our room wasn’t ready, but we were told we could wait and use the resorts facilities. So without a formal tour of the property (we witnessed other newcomers throughout our stay get tours, where was ours?), we had lunch, changed into our suits, and lounged on the beach until 3:00ish.

When we went back to the front desk to check on our room status, we were told we had been upgraded (without any approval from us, mind you). We originally booked a 2 Story Beach Front Casita. We decided it’d be worth at least looking to see what kind of upgrade it was. Room 135 was nowhere NEAR the beach and it had a horribly obstructed view of the beach. My wife went back to the lobby and lit fire and brimstone. She was told there was no 2 Story Beach Front Casita available and it wasn’t until she threatened to report TBH as fraudulent, magically, our casita (Bella 3) was ready in 30 minutes. TBH obviously overbooked and was planning on giving our room to someone else.

While I’ve no concrete evidence, I suspect our booking through Expedia had a lot to do with the lower priority we were given. We bumped into another couple that went through the exact same thing. Their 2 Story Beachfront Casita was not available and TBH was trying to pawn them off on the neighboring Excellence resort. By the way, this other couple had also booked through Expedia.

Our overall check-in experience nearly ruined the trip and cast a dark cloud over the rest of our stay. Grade: F

Rooms

I tried calling numerous times MONTHS prior to arrival to ensure we would have a casita. Specifically, I had been requesting Casita Consentida. Every time I called, I was told they would note my request, but couldn’t guarantee it. Inexcusable. With as much advance notice as I was giving the guarantee should have been a slam dunk. I’m still pissed that we had to go through what we went through before we ended up in the room we paid for.

In the end, Bella 3 is a nice room and from what I could see, was indeed one of the more private Casitas. Consentida 3 (NOT Consentida 4) and Bella 3 most private. Privacy on our plunge pool was important, and we were pleased with Bella 3. Here are a few of our pros and cons in the room.

Room pros:
-As you’ll see in all of the pictures, the room is spacious and clean.
-Tons of water pressure and we had no issues with hot water in any way.
-The walk in shower is amazing. An overhead rain shower head, 3 wall mounted body sprayers, a hand held shower head, and spacious bench to sit on. Easily big enough for a couple (or more if you fancy that sort of thing).

Room cons:
- Restrooms are awkward. Period. No full floor-to-ceiling door basically leaves the bathroom IN the room. Ewww.
- We both like a cool, crisp room at night. Even with the AC on its lowest setting and the ceiling fan on hurricane mode, the room never got cold enough. Bearable, just not as comfortable as we prefer.
–The mattresses are ROCK HARD. You can request a mattress pad, but make sure you request an egg crated mattress pad. Otherwise, they’ll bring you 2-3 duvet covers and call those mattress pads.
–The hotel does have a pillow menu, but I didn’t exercise it, so I can’t comment. I sleep on a Tempurpedic pillow, so when I didn’t see one offered on the menu, I chose not to bother with it.

Overall, the 2 Story Beach Front Casita is a very nice room. Grade: B

There are 3 restaurants on the property. All of which are average to good. Occasionally we had a dish that surprised us, but generally the food is simply OK. Surprisingly the sushi in the lounge isn’t bad. I expected below average from it, but it was decent. I eat sushi at various restaurants in my hometown at least twice a month and am rather picky. Don’t expect much variance or pizazz in any of the rolls, however. It’s very basic.

The breakfast buffet in the Aroma grill is also decent with a good number of offerings, but we only ate breakfast there twice.

My biggest complaint with food at TBH is that the lunch menus don’t open until noon. If you find yourself on the beach at 11 and want chips and guacamole to snack on; you’re out of luck. This happened at least twice during our 5 night stay. Grade: B

Beach

The beach at TBH is nothing to write home about. On day 1 of our stay, there was tons of sea weed. I fully understand that the hotel has no control over that, but the constant back and forth of the tractor raking sea weed got old (literally, back and forth all day long). Perhaps it was the wind and sea conditions throughout our stay, but snorkeling rather sucked. Visibility of maybe 3 feet. If your vacation to the tropics revolves around a crystal clear beach with good snorkeling, continue looking further south on the coast. The sand is clean, but the beach experience is no better than the Gulf side of Florida.

I highly suggest renting one of the 6 private cabanas. Cabana 1 (the south most cabana) is the most private. You’ll get better service from the wait staff and a bottle of champagne with the rental (we saved it and had mimosas in our room the next day). The cabana experience was really pleasant. Grade: C

Spa
If there was one shining example of something exceptional at TBH, it’s the spa. This is by far the largest spa I’ve ever been to. The complementary hydrotherapy offered with couples massage is out of this world. There’s a dry sauna, wet sauna, ice suite, 6 different showers, and a HUGE pool that is both indoors and outdoors loaded with all kinds of jets for aqua massages. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed use of the hydrotherapy, so much we went back 2 additional times. The massages themselves, were just so-so. I’ve had better. I’ve had FAR worse. Kudos to TBH on a spa well done. Grade: A+

Overall service from the wait staff is good. David, the life guard on the beach, is incredibly nice and will go above and beyond find your requests satisfied. However, we found on numerous occasions they’re understaffed and wait service suffered. At one point while lounging on the beach, I started ordering drinks in double because it was taking so long to be waited on.

I title this review “Consistently Inconsistent”, because I could not find a common denominator on ANY service anywhere on the property. Whether it was the promptness from wait staff in the restaurants, housekeeping, or the wait staff on the beach, the service was all over the board and usually ended up as slow or non-existent. Not once was our minibar automatically restocked with mixers and juices. It was only restocked when I called. On some nights, we had turn down, some nights we didn’t. Housekeeping either shows up at 9:00 AM or 4:00 PM, if at all. One evening in the lounge there were only 2 waiters. It took 40 minutes to even get a menu (this is no exaggeration). I finally got fed up and fetched our drinks from the bar in the main lobby.

The Beloved Hotel is a BEUATIFUL property. Everyone that waited on us was attentive, polite, and eager to please. There is so much potential in it being an exceptional resort, it makes me sad to see it so mismanaged.

Room Tip: 2 Story Casitas with the most privacy and best beach view: Bella 3 and Consentida 3. Make sure you r...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at The Beloved Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Well laid out hotel with generous sized and very comfortable rooms. Food was as good as I have ever had at an all inclusive although there are only 3 restaurants so you might get bored if you are staying for over a week.

The biggest downside for me was the vvvvveeerrryyyy sssslllllooooooowwww service in some of the restaurants. In one instance it took almost an hour and 3 reminders to simply refill a wine glass (they wouldnt allow us to keep a bottle at the table for some reason). Although we traveled at a busy time (spring break), I would hardly say 4 waiters covering 12 tables is overworked. We resolved this by having dinner outside the 700-830 peak period which was ok but not ideal for what is supposed to be a high end hotel.

Other potential gripes - the wifi was very intermittent and usually I had to go out of my room and down the corridor to get service. I think there are only 2 routers for the whole hotel so this could be an easy fix. Also the location is quite a way out of town which meant the potential activities were slightly limited.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for having chosen The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

This was our second trip to The Beloved. It was a joy to see the devoted, kind and professional Staff again. We have traveled the world and never met such attentive individuals. Thank you Carina, Eddy, Edgar, Patricio, Head Chef Juan Garcia, Sarai, Laura, Paulo, Christian, Abby, Concepcion, Romeo, Lifeguard David and the ever gracious Manager, Gabriel Garcia.

When we visited in late April of 2013, we referred to The Beloved as a small, intimate, romantic hotel. This year, we found many families present with young children. We do look forward to returning, however may schedule at a less busy time of year. The beach, food, property, ambience... are wonderful!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

5 star service in the grandest sense of Mexican hospitality. 1 star reviews are absurd, although I do sympathize with people who do not enjoy their vacations, a hotel can't make you enjoy your vacation. Period. Compared to Dreams in Cabo, which was our last stay, everything was at a much much higher level. Not comparable in any way. My only quibble is that margaritas were usually too sweet for my taste, which was not a problem since I could order Palomas and Don Julio Reposado flows freely everywhere. That includes a bottle in your room which is included.

Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband, myself and our two children (ages 9 and 5), stayed here over Spring Break. March 9th through 14th. We had a beachfront room with plunge pool. Tiernas #3. Beautiful room, very spacious, clean and quiet. All in all, we had a great time. Wonderful, friendly and attentive staff. Good food and drinks. It never felt crowded or loud. If you are looking for a party scene or a true romantic time alone with just adults, this is not the place for you!! Try Excellence next door, it is an adult only all-inclusive and I think is run by the same company as Beloved. If you are looking for a great experience with your kids and family, it is here at The Beloved. Everything was top-notch. We did have a few minor issues that I think, could easily be worked out:
1. They only put $500 on our credit card for incidentals which you can easily run up by ordering special wine or visiting the Spa. This happened to us while we were in Lupita's enjoying a nice dinner with friends. We ordered wine and they said we couldn't put it on our credit card because the $500 limit was exceeded. Very embarrasing and not cool!! This could have been eliminated by putting a higher limit on our card which we easily did the next day.
2. Housekeeping left something to be desired. The rooms were clean, but never on a consistent time basis. At 4:00 PM, I came in to our room still dirty. Had to call for service and they came promptly, but we were going to do the Mojito tasting at 5:00 which I was unable to make because they were cleaning the room. It also was not restocked and we always had to call for towels, which they always brought promptly.
3. We wanted to do the Tequila tasting and did not realize you had to make reservations. They would not let us join the group, which we found a little rude, but they were accomodating and gave us our own private tasting. Very nice!!
These were little issues, but at a 5 star resort, you don't expect it.
Kids Club was great. No reservations needed and my 5 year old loved it!
We will be back. Such a great time with our family. The General Manager greeted us as we left and asked us what they could do to improve. Very impressive.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the ocean and on 2nd or 3rd floor. They are quieter and worth the extra money.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Beloved Hotel? Share your experiences!