“The smaller the better.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Beloved Hotel

You added The Beloved Hotel to your Saves list
The Beloved Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Condominio Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico (Formerly La Amada Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 35% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
nottingham.
“The smaller the better.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Let me start this review by apologising for its lateness as our visit was nearly a year ago. But as with a couple of my previous reviews I write a rough copy of it and submit it at a later date. Not quite this long though. :-)
We stayed at The Beloved for 14 nights from September 24th 2012 staying in A twin storey Casita. A little side note. We have stayed next door at Excellence Playa Mujeres a few times before so will try to compare the 2.
On first arrival you could see that this was a chic hotel. Small friendly reception, which felt classy but not pretentious. It has a lot less of a business feel than Excellence next door. A well stocked main bar serving Greygoose vodka amongst its premium liquors. It also served excellent coffee, you just choose the flavour pod and hey presto great coffee.
We sent an email requesting twin storey Constendita prior to our arrival. But we're allocated Tierna instead. No big deal, but bare in mind if you stay in ths one its the furthest away from the beach and room 4 is overlooked by apartments on your right.
Accommodation
The room itself is well appointed, quite small but good quality fittings. The room itself is smaller than a Junior suite at Excellence due to the stairs that take you to the rooftop plunge pool and terrace being inside the room.
A minibar fridge containing Coronas, pacificos, Sprite, Coke & lite Orange juice etc. there was also a few bottles which were Whiskey, Tequila, Gin, vodka and red wine. The toiletries were Bvlgari and we spent plenty of time in the wonderfully sized shower. All in all to compare to Excellence Playa Mujeres I think Beloved has a slightly more chic feel about it but both are high quality. One observation. As with EPM the shower has a see through glass door. But unlike Excellence where I think the criticism is harsh I do think at the Beloved any criticism is more justified as its not an adult only property like Excellence is and if you are thinking of taking children I would bare this in mind. As there was only me and my wife it wasn't a concern for us though.
Food and Beverage.
Now this is one area I was a little concerned. Not the quality this was never in doubt, but the repetitiveness. This was down to us staying for 14 nights. We knew having stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres that the choice there was never going to be matched. But there were a good choice of cereals, breads, fruit, salad and cooked items at breakfast. One slight criticism is that there was a small menu if you didn't want to have the buffet at breakfast. But it was all egg based. Don't get me wrong it was lovely especially the huevos rancheros. They even made me my favourite Eggs bennadict even though they weren't on the menu. Just don't tell them I told you. ;-)
Lunch was very nice and there were a choice of the beachfront restaraunt which was lovely as there was a lovely breeze. And a shack on the beach itself serving pizza, burgers, fries etc. it was also in the process of offering themed lunches inc the like of Paella and more Mexican style bites. But this wasn't fully up and running during our stay so most of our meals were taken off the beach. Where the fish tacos in particular were excellent. You could also have room service or a beach waiter would often ask you if you wanted to just stay on your sun lounger and they would fetch it for you.
Evening meal was usually a choice of 2 or 3 open restaraunts or room service. There is also some sushi and cerviche being served at a bar at the back of the property. The food was good, with a themed buffet being offered a few times a week inc Mexican and Italian. The Mexican restaraunt itself perhaps offered the most refined food but even the Steaks etc offered at the beachfront restaraunt were of good quality. But I found they slightly undercooked them for my liking on my first visit. But on the plus side a dessert of Strawberries, cream served on a crispy sweet pancake was to die for. My wife absolutely loved it.
As with all meals room service was a lovely alternative. The menu is in a book in your room.
Drinks on offer were of very good quality. And as with all visits to Excellence group hotels didn't find them to be watered down. I would fully recommend having a drink at the main bar after your evening meal. It's very low key but there's an excellent choice of liquors and the bartender mixes a mean cocktail. And as we did most nights finish the night with a lovely pod coffee.
Service.
For me this is the strongest point of this hotel. The staff were outstanding, professional but non pretentious in the way they greeted or served you. I thought it was a notch above Excellence Playa Mujeres. This is not a criticism of Excellence because as anyone who has stayed there will tell you the service is excellent like its name. It's more a massive compliment to the management and staff of The Beloved.
While we were staying at the Beloved. As we were staying for 2 weeks we were entitled to 2 evening meals at EPM (1 per week I think), I would highly recommend taking them up on this offer. You just pre book at reception the restaraunt and time and you turn up at The Beloved reception before the time you've booked your meal for (so bare in mind if you want a pre meal drink at the Martini bar at Excellence you turn up even earlier) and they will take you across in a golf cart. It only takes a few minutes. We ate at the Basmati (Indian) and chez Isabella (French) and both were wonderful meals.
One other thing in regards to how much they want to look after you. As we have already mentioned we requested the twin story Constendita building but were allocated Tierna. On our first full day which was a Thursday at a meeting with the rep they brought this up and said they could move us into the Constendita building by Sunday. So 10 days or so at our preferred room. A big thanks for that. Oh and let me just say that noisy children were never an issue. Which was another small worry prior to our stay.
In finishing I would like to thank all the staff for making our stay a wonderful one. And if anyone was to ask us would we return they would be met with a big fat Yes. It's smaller, less lively and lacks the choices that Excellence offers. So if these are important take this into account. But if service is key and your a fan of the Excellence brand as we are I would highly recommend this little Gem. We are returning to EPM in a months time with another couple and while we are there will pay a visit to The Beloved to see if our next holiday will be staying with them.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We (me, my wife, and our 4-year old son) spent 6 fantastic days at the Beloved in late August. We have absolutely no complaints with our time there (other than it not being a long enough); in fact, every day we were there we were trying to making plans and choose a time to return. The rooms? Modern, cozy, and comfortable. The staff? Gracious, personable, and anxious to please. The grounds/pools/beach? Gorgeous and spacious. The food? We tried every restaurant + room service and were very pleased with the selection and preparedness (Aroma was our favorite spot for dinner; El Mar was our favorite lunchtime spot; the smoothie bar was a great way to start the morning). This is truly a great destination for families in Cancun.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The rooms are gorgeous with great views. We had a corner suite 2nd floor Suite with Plunge Pool. The beach is great, clean, sandy and a bit of waves. Sometimes easy to get chairs at the beach and once it was impossible so we had to stay at the pool. The service was excellent! The restaurants were very good. We ordered room service for breakfast and honestly it was really delicious. Fresh and you could order as many choices in the menu since it's an all inclusive. The spa is fantastic!!!! Ok...so here is what i didn't like. The plunge pool was warm if not hot.....so it didn't feel good. It wasnt a jaccuzzi so I would have preferred to jump in the plunge pool and feel refreshed. I found at night it was a bit too calm. There was a beautiful exterior lounge. It would have been nice some dance music or a band to enjoy the music and a great drink at the bar. The resort next to this hotel is the same owner and an all inclusive Adults resort, they had a disco but we tried to go there one nite but were told we couldnt cause the hotel was booked 100% and they wanted to charge us like 75.00$ or something like that per person to go over to the disco. If you are looking for a quiet resort, beautiful rooms and great food, and a great spa....perfect place for you....if you are going to for a resort that has lot's of action ....go to the Adults one next to it....i am sure its funner!!

Room Tip: Ocean View great Views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We celebrated our one year wedding anniversary at the Beloved and the staff made our stay so personal. We were greated by name by each staff member, their service is extraordinary. We couldn't have chosen a better resort to spend some quality time by the clear blue waters and beach. We have stayed at other all-inclusives before but this was the best one. No wrist bands to wear, no restrictions, a la carte dining (buffets and dinner reservations are not the norm here). Its a smaller and remote but intimate and quiet resort, great for couples!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

By far the best property I've stayed in in a long time. I usually stay at 20+ hotels in the course of a year, and while I don't get the chance to comment on all of them, this one was worthy of a write-up. The stay was truly outstanding.

This is a small boutique property, with a spa-like feel. The small number of rooms allow the staff to remember each guest's preferences, and deliver truly outstanding service. I think every interaction with anyone of the staff members ended with a sincere "is there anything else I can do"? If there ever was, it was attended to immediately. I loved the understated feel of the property - the typical formality of resort wristbands, towel cards and pre-reserved restaurants is replaced with staff who remember your name and your favourite drink order, and have plenty of space available at any restaurant.

I know there have been other reviewers who suggest more "kid-friendly" activities and fare would be appreciated. There are many properties who specialize in character breakfasts and teen discos, and I hope this doesn't become one of them. The decidedly "adult" touches - an amuse-bouche before dinner, saxophone (or quiet dance) music in the evenings, and bartenders who are willing to make gorgeous, tasty cocktails instead of mixing rum with something from the slushie machine were all welcome additions to my vacation. That's not to say that the kids were not well looked after, but they are treated as part of the guests rather than the focus of the resort.

I stayed in a two story casita - the room was large and well appointed. Loved the little touches - hooks for wet bathing suits in the shower and plugs at desk level for the electronics. Housekeeping was fantastic - always somehow seemed to know when I'd slipped out of the room, and I returned to perfect order without even thinking abut it. The bathroom area is very open, with glass doors for both the toilet and shower, which is likely important if you are looking to share with a friend or family.

The food at this resort is exceptional. I know other reviewers have commented abut variety, but there are a decent number of selections on each menu. Meals are plated beautifully, and the food is fresh and well seasoned. If you're looking for a huge buffet with everything under the sun, this likely isn't your resort. Quality over quantity (or variety) in this case.

If you are headed here, I would make time for the spa. All treatments include an extra hour of water therapy, with a guided visit through various stations of jets and showers. This makes any of the treatments very good value. The therapists were excellent, and I left the spa with the cutest braid serving as a headband across my bangs - the perfect grown-up equivalent to the full head of cornrow braids featured in many resorts. (And much easier to take out before returning to work!)

Overall, this is a must return to property for me. Guests who are expecting a quiet, mature resort, with service beyond compare, and those staying a week or less will likely do best here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at The Beloved Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at The Beloved Hotel Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

It is a pleasure to know that we had the opportunity to host your recent vacations in Mexico. It is truly rewarding to read your stay with us was wonderful, and that you were pleased with our food quality and the excellent service provided by our staff.

At our hotel we strive to make every stay as close to perfection as possible, and we will continue working hard in this direction. Comments like yours have always been of great assistance in fulfilling this mission. We all look forward to welcome you in the near future.
Grenade-sur-l'Adour, Aquitaine, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at the beloved in April 2013.
Gabriel Garcias has a well trained friendly staff, their added touches really impressed us.
Speedy just order room service it will be there in exactly the amount of time they say if not before.
If you are looking for drinking and dancing all night long, this is not the hotel for you.
Everything else is there.
We were there for a wedding it was perfect, lovely on the beach.
Do not miss the SPA Adrian has magic hands just like the rest of the staff in the spa.
The opening times should be extended to give everyone more time to enjoy the water treatment and massage.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
solihull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We spent 11 nights at the Beloved in early August 2013.
My wife and daughter (15) had the pleasure of staying in a 2 storey casita with roof top plunge pool.
I can honestly say that the hotel, the rooms, the beach were fantastic and the staff were even better.
The restaurants and quality of food again was excellent, although it does get just a little 'samey' after a week or so.
We were always able to get a lounger or palapa at the beach, no matter what time we went. The beach waiters were excellent...special mention to Luis who was so hard working and attentive.
Before we went, we were a little concerned about the number of children who stay at the hotel. There were quite a few whilst we were there but I can honestly say that in the main they were all very well behaved.
Unfortunately, the same could not be said for the wedding party (over 50 guests) that descended before the end of our holiday.
At one point it felt like we were in the middle of a spring break holiday, although the staff at the hotel were very quick to ensure their behaviour was monitored.
The only other point I would make would be just how quiet the hotel is after 9pm.
There really is not a lot to do.There is usually laid back music in the Lupita lounge but not a lot else. I am not one for lots of cheap entertainment or audience participation type stuff, but as others have said, the occasional show, a movie night or concert would really make this place perfection.
Would I go back, yes, but with a little more to do in the evening, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If toilets with glass doors are a concern for you then it can be 'fun'. We found that hangi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Beloved Hotel? Share your experiences!