“Excellent Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Beloved Hotel

You added The Beloved Hotel to your Saves list
The Beloved Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Condominio Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico (Formerly La Amada Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% Off room rate
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
New York, New York, United States
“Excellent Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My friends and I just recently returned from Cancun. I couldn't stop complementing how amazing this resort was. The resort is extremely nice but a little far from the main part of Cancun. Since, all of us was looking for relaxation, this was definitely the place to be. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. This resort has exceeded my expectations. I would recommend to friends and family and will definitely revisit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Korean first
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have stayed at the Excellence Playa Mujeres seven times and used to walk through this hotel when it was the Amada, so thought that I would give it a try (I was there in December 2012). The most positive aspect of my visit was the friendliness of the staff (same as EPM). The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Interestingly, very few people by the swimming pools (there is very little shade available, which kept me away) and most everyone was on the beach (at the EPM, there seemed to be more people by the pools). I was in a 2-story casita, which I liked very much. I asked for one in a quiet location, and that is what I got (Bonita 4). I was very pleased with that - I could sit on my deck or by the plunge pool and drink in the peace and quiet.
The food was disappointing, compared with EPM. There are fewer choices for dining. If found the Lupita to have the most interesting food - some of it was terrific. The food at the Isla Grill was good, but what one can get off a grill in just about anyplace. The Aroma was disappointing - with an Italian buffet one night I was there (I ate somewhere else) and ordering off the room-service menu and eating it in the restaurant one night (I ate somewhere else). They had a buffet for dinner one night - it had far fewer items than the buffet at the EPM. In actuality, there are only two restaurants for dinner, if one wants a good restaurant experience. The outside cocktail area was terrific - and the sushi was also.
The smallness of the hotel is a plus in some ways, but they can seem to get overwhelmed. For example, I had to wait in their waiting area for 45 minutes before I could check in. The two families before me took forever and they did not seem to have a plan for what to do in that situation. I just sat and sat and sat - not even an offer of a drink. It tended to color my whole 5 days there. One afternoon of the five, I was unable to find a lounge chair on the beach - they were all taken.
They were very good in the spa - and by scheduling treatments before you arrive, you receive a 20% discount.
Overall, it was fine, but I will go back to the EPM next time. It is quieter and fewer loud adults, but I think that I will work at getting a room at the EPM in a quieter section and experiencing better food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went here for our honeymoon in August of 2012, and we absolutely loved every minute of it. The staff is attentive and went out of their way to help you, and our two story casita was to die for. We were in the plunge pool every day! When we arrived, we had chocolate dipped strawberries, flowers, a bowl of fresh fruit and a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us. A perfect honeymoon experience.

Room Tip: Get a two story beachfront casita! Totally worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

At The Beloved late May/early June 13.
Fantastic holiday (shame about the last 5 days of rain, and the worrying experience on the plane out, but then the rowdy revellers were never going to be at The Beloved).
We stayed in Bella 2 - trust me everything really is All Inclusive, minibar, spirits, all cocktails you could think of, and choccies and snacks.
From the moment we got there until leaving we had a great time, everyone we met, be they guests or staff were very friendly.
If there were any moans, it was that the menus in the restaurants could do with a weekly shake up and there could be a bit more entertainment. However, why should we moan when we could have steak or seafood everyday. also, I guess if we had more entertainment the price would go up.
From the manager Gabriel (very friendly-knew our name from day 2) to the room girls everyone was so friendly. Special mentions go to Patricio (once again always had time for a chat and knew your names), Conception, Alberto and Aury in the Aroma Breakfast restaurant, all in the Isla Grille. Hayden, very knowledgable barman at the Reception Bar.
But special mentions must go to the beach/pool waiters. Eduardo a good man, but our Gold Star goes to Luis, a true trojan, very personable and worked hard all day, always had time for a chat, but could not do enough for you, whatever you wanted he would go out of his way to sort it out.
Standard of accomodation, servicing, room service, toileteries, condition of hotel were 5 star.
Had passes to the sister hotel The Excellence, this was much larger and not so personable, but the reception was very grand. Not for us, but would definetly go back to The Beloved.
My partner had her birthday when we were there, and they made her feel so special. 2 chocolate cakes, sang Happy Birthday to her on the beach and decorated the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a Sea View Room - you never know, you might even get an upgrade!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

At first waking into the Beloved I wasn't impressed - having stayed at the Grand Velas Riviera Maya. But soon I changed my mind! Food is a bit redundant- same at every restaurant but tweaked a little. But overall everything was great! Loved shell picking and lounging on the beach. Great small boutique hotel. 4-5 days was more than enough.

• Stayed December 2012
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I originally booked a graduation vacation present for my twins and I at the Ritz Carlton in Jamaica. We were devastated to find out shortly before our travel date that the Ritz had closed. How surprised and delighted we were with our stay at the Beloved!! Top of the line in luxury, service, food and cleanliness. We had a private transfer to the resort that we booked through the hotel and we felt completely safe. It was a short, half an hour trip to the Hotel. The resort was quiet, the beach and water were beautiful and it was exactly what we were looking for in a vacation. Some might find the food portions to be small, but it was perfect for my family; and you could always order more. The natural bar had delicious smoothies and the sushi was tasty. My family loves mexican food and while they did offer several non-mexican choices, we could not get enough of their cuisine!!! The waiters and waitresses were very, very nice. The beach service was convenient but I felt it probably would have been better if I had tipped them earlier in my stay...not something I felt I should have to do at an expensive, all inclusive resort. I also wished that their walls were a little thicker. Nonetheless, they specialize in making it a memorable trip for their guests; we not only received a graduation cake in our room along with "graduation" favors but the night before we were set to depart, a bottle of champagne and a sweet treat desert with a "safe travels" message. I would highly recommend this hotel and very much look forward to my next stay there!

Room Tip: We stayed in the ocean view terrace suite with plunge pool; more than we probably needed but spectac...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ipswich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We arrived at the tail end of the worst weather the region had seen for 15 years and unfortunately our beachfront casita had borne the brunt of it. However, the excellent guest services team gave us a very warm welcome and were able to offer us an ocean view junior suite for the first couple of nights, then a free upgrade to a penthouse suite for the rest of our stay - thanks Patricio!

We could've gone into the casita after the downpours subsided, but the views from the penthouse were simply breathtaking so we decided to stay. Enough about the weather (we only had to put up with a couple of showers then normal tropical service was resumed), so what of the hotel itself...

I really can't say enough about the friendly staff who couldn't do enough for us and made us feel at home right from the start. Freddy's beaming smile greeting us for breakfast each morning (he makes a mean Bloody Mary too); the speedy beach waiters who greeted us by name and seemed to know exactly the right moment to offer another drink; Diego the concierge's excellent suggestions for things to do and places to visit (it's definitely worth a trip to Isla Mujeres aboard the catamaran with Storm and his crew - if you take on his challenge, two words of advice, "hold fast"); the amazing dinners at the Isla Grill served by Noel and the team (the fillet steak with spicy sauce will live long in our memory!); topped off by delicious ceviche and a margarita or two in the laid back environment of the Lupita Lounge and a nightcap lovingly crafted by master mixologist Hayden in the lobby bar.

It's everything you'd expect from a 5-star all inclusive in an unspoilt tropical paradise - beautiful setting (really impressed by the landscaping and miles of natural beach), spotlessly clean, perfect margaritas, great food (we preferred the beachfront setting of the Isla Grill, but sampled some gastronomic delights in Aroma and Lupita too), excellent service, events and facilities, and a friendly "hola!" from everyone we came in contact with.

I could write more, but probably best if you go check it out for yourself. The only downside is you have to come home at some point!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Beloved Hotel? Share your experiences!