“Great with small flaws” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Beloved Hotel

You added The Beloved Hotel to your Saves list
The Beloved Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Condominio Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico (Formerly La Amada Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
All Inclusive Deal!
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
east hampton , ny
“Great with small flaws”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

Let me start by saying Tripadvisor was again spot-on with this resort. I researched different hotels in Cancun and decided on this one and we loved it!!! the resort is more than beautiful the rooms very spacious and clean. we had a room with our own pool, which was big enough for the occasional dip and my daughter loved going for a swim early in the morning. The property is well kept. The concierge staff very competent and very friendly. Highly recommend using them for any activity planning you might consider.
The restaurants on site are very good, we opted against the all-inclusive, because we like eating out. However there is nothing around to go to apart from the surprisingly long and very expensive (usd35 for the taxi one way) drive into Cancun. reading the reviews I didn't realize what a pain it would be to go to Cancun at night. the location of the hotel is very remote, but if you like a quiet hotel and don't want to leave the property too often this is the place for you.
Thing we weren't satisfied with are:
The beach was relatively small and full of black seagrass on the sand and in the water, which neither looked nor felt nice. they started a very sad attempt of cleaning up but never before 11am. The other issue at the beach is the service. Very often we had to wait forever to order drinks and then it took forever before we got them (other days it was faster, normally in the mornings) they have the strangest system of paying your check, after you get it and sign everything to your room, which is normal, they have to take your room key and the check with the signed bill and ring it up and then bring your room key back...what a pain!!!!! takes forever and is very complicated. even if you have the all-inclusive package you have to go through this ordeal.
The swim up bar unfortunately was always in the shade and the pool very cool, so not a good place to hang around. The pool restaurant had a nice lunch menu, however just walking up there from the beach or the pool you weren't allowed in without shoes!!!!! Hello, who wears shoes on the beach or hanging out at the pool?
As I said, small flaws, but overall a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: don't go for the swim up rooms, if you want to spend the money have a room with your own pool
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank queenb66

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Great value-for-money! Modern decoration; relatively small in size (compared at least to the Cancun "behemoths"); large, comfortable rooms; nice pool bar, and beach and outstanding service (i.e. professional, friendly, but not pretentious). Variety of spa options, and despite being "kids-friendly" the ambience was always quiet. Isla Mujeres opposite the hotel is also a good scuba-diving destination.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the best option for two couples is to rent out the villa on the beach.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MintiF
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Hello fellow tripadvisor members, first off thanks for recommending this place it was the best place we have stayed at in Cancun. Without making this a long post...

The good: excellent for families and those wanting a quiet vacation. The hotel almost feels empty. There were never waits for tables, it is a gorgeous room, excellent view, super beach, excellent and very clean pools. Nice high quality guests you can actually have a nice time talking too (Thanks Pam and Kasper for sharing your toys with our son!)

Other pluses: great kids club, VERY nice folks working there, this is the most excellent and well trained staff I have seen in a long time. They cleaned our rooms 3+ times a day, with new sheets and everything, it was embarassingly clean. They searched high and low to find my mum's missing skirt, they really bend over backwards for you, and you sense that they genuinely want you to be comfortable and happy.

The bad: small pillows, few options for entertainment (but again, we didn't mind because this is what we opted for) no where to walk around, because the hotel is built in kind of a new complex/area. It's not near any outside restaurants so there are not many choices of places to go. It was 40$ to and from downtown cancun, so we did that one night and splurged. And BTW if you go downtown, you have to eat at PARILLA restaurant, it's honestly the best mexican I've ever had. Also let me know if you want the number for my taxi guy, Pablo, he was SUPER nice and actually waited for us outside the restaurant while we ate.

Another small complaint, the waiters at the beach were not always present, not always checking on us. So it we had to flag them down sometimes for something to drink.

Final mini complaint: is the see through bathroom door, normally this doesn't matter, but we stayed at the room with my mum in law, nobody wants to get this close and personal

The ugly: sometimes honestly it felt like we were waiting forever for the bill. Now normally this won't matter except that we have a small child and he was screaming his head off at night, because the restaurant opens at 6:30 pm, common! This means, we are already past his bedtime, waiting, waiting, waiting for the final bill. They should swipe our cards at the beginning.

Now folks, despite all of this complaining, please don't take it too seriously. There will be no deal breakers for you, except if you want a rowdy teenage wet t-shirt club, kind of trip, or if you want to be close to the downtown area (this place is not). Otherwise you will have a nice time, we promise. In fact we'll be there next thanksgiving too.

Room Tip: It's a small resort, everywhere is good.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank pinkchicagogirl
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

We were there from 11/17-11/21, the weather was great. The service was outstanding, especially from Alfresco our waiter in the pool area. He make sure that you are taken care of no matter if it's just a watermelon smoothies or a tamarind mojeto. The yellow fin tuna steak was great. The room is a very nice size. Only complaint was the pillows, they are like half the size of a standard size pillow. If you are a gym fanatic then you will appreciate the facility. It's a small resort and very quaint, with little walking. Looking forwards to going back asap.

Room Tip: Ask for a topper for the bed, it's more comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lotusmong
Bartlett, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed at La Amada for 8 nights in May 2011 and had a wonderful time. This was a our second trip to the Cancun area of Mexico. We reserved the 2 story beachfront casita suite with plunge pool on the upper floor and it was great. The close proximity to the beach was fantastic and the view amazing.

We purchased the all-inclusive food package which includes alcohol and it was a great deal. I believe they are going to a full all-inclusive in early 2012 but for our visit it was a very nominal add-on of $80 per person/per day, adjusted for day of arrival and departure. The food at La Amada is excellent and the service is just as good. Everyone was friendly, helpful and willing to accommodate nearly any request. The breakfast at La Amada is great and they seem to change the type of pastries daily. I was very sad when the sweet potato one was missing the day after I had raved about to my husband. The next day the chef, Javier, prepared some just for me and had them waiting when I arrived. That kind of service is pretty much the norm. Andrea at the Isla Grill made sure the salad I loved had extra avocado and tomato and rounded up ice cream with hot fudge twice for us by the pool. Ruben & Rafael at the Aroma Restaurant and Jose, Roberto & Gabriel during our dinner on the beach always made sure we were happy. My husband adored Angel’s sushi at the Sushi Bar/Lounge which he said melted in his mouth.

Our only peeves with the Food & Beverage service while there was lack of communication regarding which restaurants would be open, mini-bar issues and spotty drink service by the pool. We were told that the Lupita Restaurant would be open our last night (we inquired the day before) only to find it closed. The mini-bar in the room is stocked with beer and sodas and never seemed to get cold enough. Ultimately we found out that our idea of cold and theirs was quite different. After some language issues, my husband was finally able to get the type of beer he wanted in the room. Unless Marcos, Oscar or Freddy was serving drinks by the pool, it was difficult to find someone. However whenever they were there, the service was wonderful.

Rooms are in very good condition, bathroom is great (shelving for us women and our make-up). The back of the bed backs up to the backs of the bathroom mirrors which gives you a feeling of openness without actually being able to see someone in the bathroom. However they do have the horrible glass doors on the toilet area like so many resorts in Mexico. So using the toilet is not as private as one might like. The only other negative was very poor lighting at the bath vanity and next to the bed which made reading ANYTHING next to impossible. Closet space is fabulous (walk-in) with shelving and the standard in-room safe. We mistakenly left ours open one day, the housekeeping staff secured it and left us a note...nothing missing! Housekeeping is attentive but the language barrier did create a challenge regarding additional towels. We ended up using our iPhone to look up the Spanish terms for towels and wash cloths which solved the problem.

We have been to a number of spas around the world and the spa at La Amada can hold its own. We had a couples massage followed with a couples bath served with chocolate dipped strawberries and champagne. The spa has a water circuit which includes a Hammam (type of steam room), ice room and multiple sensation shower to name a few. Between the water circuit, massage, bath and champagne we could have only been more relaxed if we were asleep!

The concierge service at La Amada is very good. Carolina, Marcella and Diego went out of their way to assist us. They were very helpful with shopping information and made sure that we had acceptable transportation to the Cancun shopping area and to the ferry to Isla Mujere. Marcella even went by an onyx store/fabricator on her way to work to get the name of the store and hours when I told her how much I loved all the onyx we had seen.

La Amada is next to Excellence Playa Mujeres which is owned by the same group. You can shop at Excellence (worth it when they have the “street vendors”) but you cannot use the facilities. La Amada is north of the Cancun “strip” and is isolated from all that traffic and noise. If you like night clubs and lots of people stay on the strip. If you get over-stimulated after a few days in Las Vegas then this is the place for you. Last time we stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach and had a great time but La Amada was better - less people, better food (Secrets is good though and had more restaurants) and much larger accommodations. Excellence next door is more like Secrets - more people, more restaurants, more structure. La Amada does allow children and has a kids club but there were only a few children there during our visit.

If you have the time take the ferry and go to Isla Mujeres for the day, rent a golf cart and tour the island. The waters off the island are even more beautiful than those off Bora Bora in Tahiti. My husband went fly fishing down in Boca Paila - about a 2.5 hour trip to the south at the Sian Ka’an Biosphere and was so excited about the bone fishing that we are headed back to the Cancun area in May 2012. Mexico is beautiful and a fabulous value!

Room Tip: Choose the beachfront 2 story casita with plunge pool. The other rooms with plunge pools have no pr...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Fairfield Bay, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

That is right...Never Again. A couple of times each year my wife and I spend hours looking at resorts in the Cancun/Playa Del Carmen area trying to decide which one we will visit. I am glad to say that after just returning from 5 days at La Amada we will never have to search again. This is THE spot!
Now let me inject a "negative" here before I begin my review. It is NOT for everybody. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants 100% rest & relaxation. It is not for couples who are looking for a party or a lot of organized activities. But, if you just want to lay back (and I mean literally lay back) and forget the world other than what you have around you this is the place. Even though this resort is not an adults only hotel I cannot and would not encourage a family with children (over the age of 6) to select this property. Yes, kids are welcome but there is really nothing for them to do....they will be bored and make your life miserable.
We booke our trip directlky through the La Amada's website. I did research other options (Expedia, Cheap Caribbean, Funjet, etc.) for booking but found the best rate directly through them (airfare & hotel). After booking our triup I contacted the Concierge at La Amada and allowed her to arrange for our limo tranfers to/from the airport as well. Okay, you can probably book direct with several transportation compnaies and save $20-$30. But we deided why worry ourselves with dealing with a third party. (We like simple!)
After clearing customs we found our limo (Lincoln Towncar) and driver right outside the exit from the airport. From that point forward we had nothing to do but let La Amada take care of everything. Our flight arrived in Cancun at 11:15AM which put us at La Amada around 1:00PM (after clearinf customes, etc. and the 40 minute drive). We fully expected to wait until our room was ready (check-in is at 3:00PM). However, upon arrival at the hotel our bags were grabbed from the limo, we were escorted into the hotel, seate with a desk agent, served champagne, filled out the paperwork and quickly escorted to our room. We had booked a single story/beachfront Casita Suite with plunge pool. OMG...the picture on La Amada's web site do not do the suite justice. Yes, the pictures acurately depict what the suite looks like...but it is so beautiful live & in person. There are a total of 7 Casitas which are 3-story buildings. Each Casita has 2-single story suite and 2-2 story suites. The single story suites are on the ground floor. If you muyst have a suite with an ocean/beach view that yu will have to spend a few more bucks and get one of the 2-story suites. The view from the single stoy suites are nice and yes, you can see the ocean...but I would not consider it a true oceanview. Hey, it is only about 50 yards from the Casita suites to the beach anyway.
The restaurants: Aroma, Lupita and Ilsa Grill. We ate at everyone of them...the IslaGrill is by far the best food. I am not saying that Aroma & Lupita are bad...just that Isla Grill is the best! For entertainment before dinner...beginning around 6:30ish...go to the Lupita Lounge. They serve a good assortment of sushi and civiches (excellant)....also they had a saxaphone soloist playing soft jazz. This guy was great!! Oh, by the by, I am a vodka martini man...they make a dynamite martini (Grey Goose, Stolichnaya, Absolute and Belvadere). All the booze served at the Lupita Lounge and the Isla Grill bar are top shelf!
The staff and service I have not found comparable at any resort we have stayed over the last 7 years...no kidding. As Pablo (our waiter at Isla Grill) told me one afternoon as we sat having drinks, "I have been here since this hotel opened...this is not work...it is fun...I get to meet wonderful people and look at my office!" That is the attitude of everyone we came in contact with employed bt La Amada.
Believe me, I could go on for pages and pages about what is wonderful about this resort. So, if you have any questions do not hesitate to drop me a note and I will reply.
Please keep in mind, this is a small boutique resort hotel (only about 105 suites) and it is QUIET. I risk repeating myself here, but if you want a pool party or beach party atmosphere with music blaring and people screaming and hollering....look somewhere else. You will not be satisfied or happy here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank TennisNutt
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I love this hotel. It is so beautiful with the most amazing respectful and polite staff I have ever encountered. The rooms are huge and beautiful with rain showers and big jacuzzi tubs. We found it to be the most amazing hotel especially for couples. GO TO THE SPA! It is so lovely; the best spa I have ever been to.
I would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat. I cannot think of one thing I didn't like.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#3 of 180 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 stars 2,862 reviews
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to The Beloved Hotel? Share your experiences!