“A week in Cancun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Beloved Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Beloved Hotel to your Saves list
The Beloved Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Condominio Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico (Formerly La Amada Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Playa Mujeres
Bakersfield, California
“A week in Cancun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We spent seven nights at La Amada at the end of September 2011. In short: this may be the nicest luxury hotel I have ever stayed in. We did the all inclusive package which was terrific. That includes all drinks, food, water, even M&Ms in the mini bar. The junior suite rooms are 965 square feet, and the shower with rain forest sprinklers is huge.
This is the first all inclusive that did not feature buffets... only one at breakfast. There are three restaurants and all sit down experiences, ordering off the menu. The food is just great, but you can't get things like fish tacos or fajitas at night. It's more like Mexican fusion and first class. The fish tacos on the beach were some of the best I have ever had.
My only complaint: the daily cleaning service was a bit slow. One day they didn't get to our room until nearly 3 p.m. and this was in a slow period.
I thought it also needed a larger outdoor bar. The only one I spotted was at the Isla Grill where there were just five seats at the bar. Granted, many of the bars were closed because it was the slow season.
Next door is the Excellence Hotel, a sister project that caters to adults. It seemed more happening and some events at night, but we preferred La Amada because it was smaller (only 109 room) and lower key. ANother benefit: the hotel is only three or four years old so it's practically brand new.
As noted, we stayed in a junior suite which was huge. They have "casitas" closer to the beach with private pools but they were quite pricey. Iif you can afford it, do it.
All the staff spoke passable English and all were pleasant and friendly. Would I go back? Yes. Love this place.

Room Tip: If you are not in a casita, get to a higher level for a better view of the ocean

1,661 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Korean first
Saline, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

My husband and I just returned from 7 nights at La Amada. We traveled with our two children who were 5 and 9. They had the trip of a lifetime. Thank you Africa in the kids club and concierge Luis for always bringing a smile to their faces! Our kids were never bored and the staff treated them so well- they even remembered their favorite food and drinks!

This resort truly has earned a 5 star rating. If you are looking to relax, this is the place. The resort was very quiet which we loved and the service was impeccable. We stayed in the penthouse suite which was amazing. Housekeeping did an amazing job of always cleaning the room and the turndown service was excellent. We spent most of our time enjoying the three beautiful pools and we just loved the beach. Everything is geared towards relaxation here. Sound of water everywhere, music and a staff that truly wants to please. Thank you to Christian, Pablo, and Alfredo for your EXCELLENT service at the pool and beach. Eric, Yolanda, and Raol- thank you for the amazing service at Isla Grill!! If you visit La Amada- please bring cash to tip the staff well. We were all inclusive but keep in mind tips are not included. The staff works SO hard so please reward them!

The resort is very well maintained and someone is always cleaning something or trimming landscaping etc. The concierge takes care of any issues you have in a very timely manner. They booked our transportation to and from the airport which was well worth the money for a private car. The restaurants are all very good and the menu has a good variety. Make sure you hit Aroma for breakfast because it offers a lot of variety. We really can not say enough good things about this hotel. Give it a try and you will not be disapointed! Thank you again to the entire staff and we hope to be back soon...gracias!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Tonawanda, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed for 4 days beginning on sept 24th 2011. I arranged for a car service via La Amada conceirge and that was well worth the $133 R/T. Check in was smooth, the lobby was very upscale and chic and we were greeted with champaigne and cold rose smelling towels. We were taken to our casita (with plunge pool) by Christian and he explained the services and the amenities of our room. The view from our balcony was breathtaking, the room was nicely air conditioned and the room was clean and fresh. The housekeeping staff was really on top of things and I loved the turn down service each night. The staff are polite and courteous , my husband even sang a song with them on the beach. I enjoyed the food at Aroma and the Isla grill, I did not go to the mexican restaurant, I didn't care for the menu. We hung out at the beach most of the afternoon and the wait staff for the beach service was good. The hotel was at 40% when we went so it was not crowded, which was perfect for us.
Things to note, if you like to party this is not the place for you, this is truly a R&R resort. In my opinion I would not bring kids here, there is only a small play area but no activities director. The resort is in a secluded in a gated area, so if you wanted to go to another restaurant or niteclub it would be expensive to catch a cab. There is a hotel within walking distance on the beach but I don't know their policy for using their restaurants, clubs or other amenities.
I can honestly say I have no complaints, the only thing I can say is the bathroom door in the room has frosted and clear glass so who ever you're rooming with can see you going to the bathroom or taking a shower. Also the bathroom stall door does not go all the way to the top so odors fill the hotel room. Not horrible just, just no privacy . I loved this place I would recommend it and I would go back again. I stayed at the Royal in cancun and I like La Amada better. PS the beach is not really large, but it is combed daily so it's clean and rock free. I really loved this place!!! I can't say enough good thing about it. P.S.S no time share pitches.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My fiance and I spent 6 days and 5 nights at La Amada and felt like it wasn't enough. It was exactly the vacation we were looking for. We were exhausted from everyday life and could not have been happier to sit on the beach and do absolutely nothing. We are definitely beach people and although the water wasn't as blue as it is in Cancun, it is a lot calmer and there were no rip tides while we were there.

We stayed in a Casita suite with a great plunge pool, after a day at the beach it was the perfect way to cool off with a drink before dinner. The shower is one of the best we have ever used. The rain shower is absolutely amazing. The jacuzzi tub is awkwardly placed and when we could see our neighbors using theirs we decided against using ours. A little too voyeuristic. The hotel should install windows that you cannot see into from the outside to provide more privacy.

The food was good. We went once to Aroma for dinner and were very disappointed but the breakfast buffet was ok. Isla Grill and Lupita were the best. The food on the beach was also very tasty. We were glad to have the All Inclusive plan because the food prices were a bit high.

The service was great. The waitstaff, especially at the beach, went above and beyond to cater to our needs. Remember your manners while you're on vacation. Be nice to the staff, it doesn't hurt to say please and thank you.

We used Cancun Transfers for our transport and everything went smoothly. We would definitely use them again.

This was a great trip to relax and reconnect.

Vancouver BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We spent 2 weeks at La Amada mid September 2011 and have returned home well rested and tanned. The hotel is clean, comfortable and well cared for. We stayed in a swim up room with terrace and garden - lovely. The bed was extremely hard as were the sunbeds & I feel a bit princessy even saying that, but its the truth. The beach is small but lovely and the sea is accessible on soft sand. Only 2 restaurants to choose from each evening both offer good food, and we were offered the services of their executive chef to cook anything we wanted if we were bored with the menu. Our favourite restaurant was La Isla grill, the food is great, wonderful views and good atmosphere; and staff are exceptional. Try the lobster surf and turf - its awesome. The cocktail and sushi bar was a pre dinner favourite of ours and had some good musicians . The all inclusive option was excellent but the sign for everything policy was a drag, maybe this will stop when the whole resort goes fully inclusive next year. There is very little to do in the hotel which suited us as we just needed to relax. We discovered that the hotel next door'The Excellence' is a sister hotel but we were not allowed to join in with their events at all which seems unusual. I had one concern (which I did voice to the manager) - there seems to be some confusion as to the Amada's target market. It is advertised as a couples/special occasion/anniversary/wedding hotel- and family resort. This was not always a good combination as we did have to leave the restaurant twice due to our 'couple' time being interupted by screaming, badly behaved children whose parents had opted out of parenting as they were on vacation. (No; we are not anti kids, we have plenty of our own,- some of the parents and kids in the hotel were wonderful..........,but as always its the few that spoil it for the many) An easy solution would be to have an 'adult' only bar and 'adult only dining' after 9pm. Not much of a big deal to implement. On arrival checkin took forever but the champagne made it bearable- we found that in room information was lacking - we spent the first day trying to work out where to find beach towels, was there beach service, etc, but we asked the other guests and they put us right. Having read tripadvisor reviews before we left we felt we chose well, and we were not disappointed, we met some lovely people and were 100% committed to enjoying every moment. As an extra note, there is not a business center so if you need to work bring your own laptop as the hotel only provided HP minis. Oh and another point the hotel is not anti gay....have no idea where that one came from but there were loads of gays at the resort having a great time . (if you are the american gay guy that pranced around the swim up bar in see through white speedos...note to self, pls do us all a service and buy new trunck's to cover your junk next year:) Don't forget your bug spray - you will be eaten alive if you step outdoors after sunset, bring lots of books, music and games. As a final note we noticed some of the guests behaving so disrespectfully towards the staff - management really should ask guests to leave if they arent treating the staff well. So Please- tip the waiters, they work incredibly hard and offer an amazing service, a smile and showing a bit of respect goes along way too. Without doubt the staff made our stay incredible - thank you all - you know who you are, Raul, Christian Martin, Yolande..Alfredo Freddy.too many to mention, you are very special people.Grasias.

Room Tip: The whole resort is quiet - Casitas are lovely. Swim up suites are bigger and good value.
Bury St Edmunds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We spent two weeks here from 20th august and had a wonderful time, my wife and daughter, 9 went to the spa and had the most relaxing mother and daughter treatments together. The staff were exeptional and friendly going out of their way to make sure you have a good time.
There are some very picky people who have moaned but they would moan any where in the world, we have travelled far and wide and this is certainly one of the best, one other note is our daughter went to kids club and enjoyed it so much she went at every oppertunity.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Privilege Aluxes - Isla Mujeres
Royal - Playa Del Carmen
Royal - Cancun
La Amada - Playa Mujeres
Sun Palace - Cancun (twice)
Sandals - Montego Bay, Jamaica

OF THOSE 7 WE LOVED 4:
Privilege Aluxes
Sun Palace
Royal in Cancun
La Amada

After going to 8 all inclusive resorts, I finally feel that I can write a review comparing our latest vacation at La Amada to all the others. A note about us: We are married with no kids and when choosing a resort that’s not adults only, we go during the school year. I am 37 and my husband is 41.

PROS:
-Most A.I.R. badger you about going to their 90 min. presentation, which is basically a time share. La Amada DOES NOT! Huge plus! I can’t tell you how horrible it is to dread walking through the lobby, because you know you’ll be badgered yet again.
---Most A.I.R. have locals walking up and down the beach all day selling jewelry, hats, etc. It’s annoying having to say, “No thank you” every 5 minutes when you’re trying to sleep or read or listen to music. La Amada has NONE of that!
---Most A.I.R. serve the weakest drinks you’ve ever had in your life. La Amada pours drinks you would gladly pay $5-$10 for in the U.S.
---Most A.I.R. either make you PAY EXTRA for premium liquors or they have a very LIMITED SELECTION or they ONLY OFFER premium liquors to the guests who booked the most expensive rooms. La Amada has many premium liquors including tequilas like Don Julio and Herradura at no extra charge and they are available to everyone. Not only did they have these brands, but they had 3 types of each: Blanco, Repasado, Anejo.
---Many A.I.R. make you pay extra for lobster as well. La Amada does not.
---Some A.I.R. we’ve been to in the past (Privilege Aluxes for example) have turned us away for dinner reservations when the restaurant was less than half full! La Amada never did anything like that. Even at the restaurant that served lobster, we could have easily made reservations there every night if we had wanted to.
---There are only about 100 rooms at La Amada which we liked. You saw the same people over and over and it made it easier to get to know other guests. It also makes going from A to B much easier. The only large resort we ever stayed at was Royal in Playa Del Carmen, which has over 500 rooms. We hated it and moved to their smaller sister resort, Royal Cancun, in less than 24 hours. While staying at Sun Palace we’ve visited large sister resorts like Moon Palace and we hated it for the same reason. For us, bigger is not always better.
---The rooms and grounds at La Amada were gorgeous and immaculate and the staff was wonderful.

CONS:
---Some A.I.R. require you to sign for everything you consume and some don’t. La Amada was the WORST in this regard. In addition to obtaining your signature they have to swipe your room key, which adds a second step to the process. Sometimes it went fairly quickly and sometimes it was painfully slow. On top of that, our room key often didn’t work at the restaurants, so the waiters would have to find a manager to swipe a master key, which made the process even longer. One time we waited approximately 20 min. after we had finished our meal to finalize the ticket. Even one of the waiters told us THEY hate the whole signing process, because it sucks up so much of THEIR time.
---Most A.I.R. make getting change for tipping somewhat difficult. La Amada was probably one of the WORST. They almost never had change in U.S. bills and rarely had pesos valued at less than five U.S. dollars. If you ordered one or two drinks at a pool bar, you’re not likely to tip five U.S. dollars. (I personally went to the front desk 5 times and never obtained smaller bills than that, although I did see one guest who managed to get some pesos valued at two U.S. dollars.) If you’ve burned through all the change you brought and the hotel doesn’t have any small bills, you’re forced to write your tip on the ticket. The tickets don’t have carbon copies. The tickets actually say on them, “You have to ask for a copy” and when we did, they always seemed shocked. Ultimately at the end of your stay, you have to pay up, so if you don’t get copies of the 40+ tickets you’ve filled out over the week, what proof do you have of what you owe? It would be nice for the hotel to keep pesos valued at less than five U.S. dollars on hand and also for the tickets to be printed with carbon copies or duplicates. Better yet, get rid of the tickets all together.
---Some A.I.R. have a liquor dispenser in your room. La Amada DOES NOT. They will deliver beer, champagne and wine w/room service, but NO mixed drinks and you MUST order food w/EACH delivery of alcohol. (Hope you’re as hungry as you are thirsty.) We had a room with our own plunge pool. It was far away from any restaurant that was open midday and when you’re spending the day sunning upstairs on your balcony, it would be nice to have mixed drinks delivered or at least be able to make your own if that's what your prefer.
---Most A.I.R. will grant you privileges at their sister resorts, but La Amada WILL NOT. The Excellence is right next door and owned by the same people. Guests at the Excellence can come to La Amada, but La Amada guests CANNOT visit Excellence without paying extra. (We were told by other guests it’s $150/day to spend the day at Excellence.) I understand Excellence guests are ALL all-inclusive and La Amada does have SOME guests on the European plan. Why couldn’t they just put a wristband on us when we go next door that indicates we are La Amada all-inclusive guests? Also, Excellence is adults only, so I understand children from La Amada obviously can’t go over there, but why can’t the adults?
---Our room smelled bad and several other guests told us theirs did as well. It seemed to be coming through the air conditioning system. The room looked really clean and I saw no mold anywhere. We brought Febreeze, but it wasn’t strong enough to cover the smell. Eventually, we asked them for help and they were happy to spray our room each day with our choice of scents. Coffee scent turned out to be my favorite and it successfully masked the odor when sprayed twice a day.
---The air conditioning in our room wouldn’t go quite low enough to keep us comfortable while we slept or while we were getting ready for dinner. This too was a complaint I heard from others. (This was also a problem at Royal in Cancun as well.) Of course everyone has different temperature preferences. For us, it wasn’t miserable, but it was a little frustrating to wake up in the night sweating or be sweating when you’re freshly showered and trying to apply make-up and blow dry your hair. We asked for a fan which the concierge rounded up after a few hours of searching. The fan was great, but I don’t think they have many.

IN SUMMARY:
Of the 4 resorts we have loved, La Amada was for me #1 or #2. My husband says all 4 have pros and cons and he’s not sure he can pick a favorite. Would we go there again? Maybe. For me, part of the fun is the excitement of exploring a brand new place. If they remedied the cons would we go there again? Absolutely! Why would you NOT go to a place that’s perfect?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Beloved Hotel? Share your experiences!