“Best Vacation EVER” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Beloved Hotel

You added The Beloved Hotel to your Saves list
The Beloved Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Condominio Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico (Formerly La Amada Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 35% !
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Trumbull, Connecticut
“Best Vacation EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We have (sadly) returned from La Amada. I learned a lot on this site, so in the interest of paying it forward, here's some info that may help others:

- we used Best Day (www.bestday.com) to book our transfers from the airport to the resort. The best day folks were professional and it worked out well -- $9 each way per person. You can't beat it, seeing as it cost us almost $40 for a taxi from the hotel zone to the resort on our own.

- the resort really is more beautiful than it appears. the decor, the ambiance, the attention to detail -- I didn't expect it all to be as beautiful as it was. I had pretty high expectations, and they were exceeded. The sand for the smoking posts is groomed (and stamped with the hotel name) daily...to call it beautiful isn't doing it justice.

- the waitstaff was excellent. The hostesses/managers of Isla Grill and the staff there was superb. We enjoyed Isla Grill the most b/c we liked the food the best and it had the greatest views. I will say -- the waitstaff that serves drinks all day deserves a LOT of credit. We didn't wait (even though I always worry about that at all inclusive properties) AND they hustled in the heat. PLEASE -- if La Amada reads this, consider changing those uniforms! The people wear long sleevees and long pants -- it was over 95 degrees when we were there and there wasn't much by way of shade (other than the umbrellas on the beach) -- these poor guys were doing everything they could to just stop dripping. Shorts and polos would seem to me to be well advised; I saw the head of the outdoor property wearing a uniform like that and it looked comfortable AND seemed to be easier to work in).

- the reception area is excellent, and what isn't well publicized (or what i didn't come across before our stay) is that there are boats you can rent per-hour from the marina that is just steps from the resort (they are captained, so you don't need to know how to opperate the boat) the prices seemed reasonable to me, though we were so comfortable on the property that we didn't leave until we had to depart for our flight.

- we did eat at Lupita one night and Aroma another night. I didn't really care for the breakfast buffett in Aroma in the AM, but that was quickly remedied by ordering room service, which was wonderful. I think the buffett is well served for early risers and those that have families or groups they are meeting with, though the service was excellent

- if you go to this resort, you MUST go to the spa and do the Aqua Vida. OMG -- AMAZING. I won't describe it in detail, as truly, you have to experience it yourself -- but this is something I have never come across at another property -- it was just beyond expectations. The massages we had were good; not the best I've ever had, but certainly not the worst, either. Jose hooked me up with reservations before we were even on the property -- and he was a gem.

- the beach itself was missing the blue and green and teal colors that the hotel zone of cancun had; the flags were red every day. This wasn't that horrible for us, as we are pool people, but I figured I should mention it for those beach folks. It didn't prevent people from going in the water, but you did see sticks and seaweed at times. That said, every morning the beach was cleaned and raked... the sand was soft and very clean...and the beach chairs they had were quite comfortable!

- the pools were excellent. the pools were cleaned daily, and there was never an issue with stray glasses by the swim up bar. the patrons enjoyed themselves, but we never came across a crowd that had over-indulged to the point where it was a problem. if anything, the pool water might have gotten a bit too warm by the end of our time there, but such is life. this is, after all, playa mujeres in the summer.

- the drinks were a bit on the weak side, but this was quickly remedied by asking for a "strong" drink; there are drink menus and "bar food" menus that includes burgers, pizza and such. get the chips and pico de gallo!!!! I am craving this still 2+ weeks after being there.

- the room... oh, the room. we were in a beachfront casita suite. if you can spend the money, do it. they are amazing. the plunge pool was bigger than we expected. the better half adored being able to drink coffee in the am and read in the afternoon on the bed that was on our patio.

- Overall. I considered starting the subject line with "don't ever consider going here..." for the fact that this place was our paradise and I really don't want to have to compete with folks to get a room there. but it wouldn't be right. if you enjoy the beauty in design and are one of those folks who appreciates attention to detail, good food, and excellent service, this is the place for you. While we were there, we did see families -- which was kind of a surprise b/c really, this place doesn't scream "family" to me -- but those families that were there had very young children. The families weren't a detraction at all, but I found it odd they were there, simply b/c it was such a loving, romantic, couples place that I would think they'd be reminded of what they are missing now that they have kids. (That wasn't meant to be mean, just realistic). There was a kids area, and it seemed very cute. But still, this was like a second-honeymoon place to us.

- If you're considering it, do it. there are a few things the resort provides daily (exercises at the spa in the AM, yoga, or bike borrowing); you can go to a mojito class or a tequilla tasting class. Or, you can do what I did -- be fascinated with just watching the palm trees catch the wind, sip a frozen beverage, and close your eyes when you have the urge.

All in all, it was the most relaxing, enjoyable vacation we've been on in our 13+ years together. That includes top of the line cruising through Hawaii, the Panama Canal, and the Caribbean. The better half is asking WHEN we are going back THIS YEAR...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Korean first
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

La Amada is a stunning property and worked out nicely for our trip. We were looking for something outside of Cancun and away from the super touristy spots that was not an all-inclusive. We rented a car and were pretty independent on our trip. PROS: Room was contemporary, beautiful and large (we had a "swim up suite"), spa was outstanding (their Aqua Viva treatment is not to be missed and includes massage and other services), wi-fi was strong, staff was very courteous and attentive, loved the shower, beach was very nice, pools were beautiful, fitness center was one of the best I've seen in any hotel. Close to the Isla Mujeres ferry, and close enough to Cancun/Isla for dinner. CONS: Beds are very firm; hallways carry sound easily especially near the elevator and staff/housekeeping closets and rooms; lack of privacy in rooms, e.g., jacuzzi does not have a opaque curtain so you can't use easily at night, bathroom pretty open to rest of room including a large window in shower which requires the exterior door curtains to be drawn for privacy, and partial glass door to toilet screens you visually but not audibly; food is high end (I wanted more Mexican!) and very expensive; beach does have seaweed and the staff ran a tractor on the beach for nearly 4 hours on the only "nice" day we had during our stay -- major bummer. Aroma restaurant noisy if inside and feels sterile. Very romantic property, gorgeous grounds, and I'm surprised it's not adults only. This is not a place for kids.
Area recommendations
Take the ferry to Isla Mujeres -- we went for dinner over there twice and a beach day one day. Drive is about 10 minutes to ferry and it runs every 30 minutes. Olivia's Restaurant was awesome. La Habichuela in downtown Cancun was a nice special dinner on our last night there. About 15-20 mins drive. We preferred to have our own car -- especially at La Amada since it's north of downtown Cancun -- but driving can be a bit hairy with the topes (speed bumps) and congested traffic in downtown Cancun, especially at night. Just watch the other cars carefully and follow their lead -- they know where the topes are! We also picked up a few things at the grocery store for our room. Others have said the hotel does not allow outside food or drink; we were discreet but saved a ton on tequila-based drinks, beer, and morning food as a result.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators/housekeeping
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We love La Amada. We came the first time in November 2009, when they had just first opened, then back again August 2010. We love that it is NOT all-inclusive, so it has none of that rowdy nightlife. Great breakfasts, which are included. The pool and beach area, no matter how full the hotel, are usually quiet. The two restaurants are good, but a bit pricey.

We rented a car so we can get around and go into town to eat.

Amazing spa!

The only NEGATIVE aspect, is they don't allow you to bring outside food or drink into the hotel!!!

Room Tip: We loved our swim-up suite right on the pool!
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I am not usually interested in reviewing the hotels that I visit, however this time I feel compelled to do so. To start I think the hotel is really well managed, the staff is always on the move providing what in my experience is outstanding service. The room was always spotless and in one occasion we walked in the to find the cleaning lady scrubbing the entire shower area which is huge. Everyone is very friendly and attentive, giving the place a welcoming and cozy feeling. Contrary to what other reviewers have experienced, room service which is 24hrs, was prompt and got the order right. We never waited more than 15 minutes for anything.
The food was great, the restaurants have a decent selection and the portions are satisfying. My only minor complaint was that the breakfast buffet was quite limited and my fiancé and I didn't enjoy it as much as lunch and dinner. We suggested to management that they offer more options for breakfast, hopefully they take it into account.
For those that are a bit skeptical about visiting Cancun because of all the crime involving the drug cartels, don't be. We had a great time, we never felt uncomfortable or insecure outside the resort. The cancun area felt as safe as any major city in the US.

Be aware of Scams- I accidentally damaged a plastic covering in the front of a jet ski by sitting on it. The owner of the shop wanted to charge me 140 dollars for it, after repeated refusal to pay the amount, we settled on 45 dollars. I still took a loss but I can live with that one. You are a tourist and they are there to make money, they will always try to get the most money from you. Your job is to keep in your pocket as much as possible.
Also this hotel is mostly geared towards couples, so if you don't like quiet down time with little to no night activities, this is not the place for you. By 11pm everyone is in their room or outside the resort.
Do not leave important documents or expesive belongings out of the digital safe in the room. Although we left our video camera and iPhones several times on the desk without any problems, one of the iPhone chargers "disappeared" and was not found. This is a minor isolated incident, I can't say that this incident is representative of what often happens because other more valuable items were untouched.

I hope this review is helpful. I encourage everyone to visit, I had a great time and you probably will too.

• Stayed June 2011
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

I still wake up in the middle of the night thinking about how amazing my wedding was at La Amada hotel. My husband and I went through quite a process trying to find the perfect resort for our May 2011 wedding. When we stepped on the grounds of La Amada last August, we know we had found it! This hotel is just unreal. So beautiful and serene. We were looking for a chic, intimate, all-inclusive resort that offered all of the benefits of a larger chain...and we hit the lotto. We had about 50 people down for the wedding and every single one of our guests said it was by far the best resort they have ever been to. First and foremost, the service is amazing. Everyone felt so welcome and taken care of - Even though we were on the all-inclusive rate, we couldn't stop tipping extra! The staff is just fantastic. Second, the food...YUM is all we can say. The breakfast alone stands out as a gem. So many options for a "buffet" style. What my husband and I love is their emphasis on fresh, local and organic finds. Most of our party had lunch on the beach or at Isla Grill and again, no complaints. Plenty of options and fast service! The drinks are also amazing, and the pool bar definitely makes for a fun afternoon! We had set up 3 group dinners (welcome, rehearsal and wedding) and everything was fantastic, from the food to the service. Really, you can't go wrong with any of the restaurants! My husband and I stayed in a two story casita which was spacious and beautiful. One of our favorite things was watching the sun rise and set on the second floor - just gorgeous. Most types of rooms were occupied by our group, from the junior suite to the casitas, and everyone thought the space was huge, clean, modern and again, amazing! My bridal party and I got mani/pedis at the spa on the day of the wedding - they were so relaxing. The day after the wedding, my husband and I had a couples massage and aqua vive treatment. No complaints at all - such fantastic treatments! We also used the gym a few mornings. It's huge for a hotel gym, has modern equipment, is very cool and the trainer is around to answer any questions or offer help. Plus there are TVs on all of the machines - a major plus when you're pushing through a few miles at 7 AM! In terms of our wedding, we could not have been happier with how everything turned out. It just surpassed our expectations by leaps and bounds. I would go through all of the planning again to have another experience like that - it was nothing short of perfection! Apologies if our group was overly enthusiastic, but we had just the best time of our lives dancing and having a great time. We'll surely be back for our anniversary...and most of our guests are up for a return trip with us! Thanks, La Amada, for the best week of our lives!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong wth any room!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Gilmer, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

This is a fabulous property. We have traveled up and down the Yucatan coast for 20 years and stayed a number of places including the Excellence, the Palaces, and many others but this was the most beautiful. I booked the deal on Jetsetter for only one night because we had been staying in Tulum and wanted to be closer to the airport before we departed the following day. The lobby area is very Zen with tons of couches and pillows all perfectly arranged. Check-in was professional and efficient. We arrived at 2:00 and could not have our room till 3:00 but we were sent to the Grill for lunch. Service was slow but the food was delicious and way above what you typically find in all-inclusives. Our room was amazing! White leather couches, headboard, ottoman, chairs--once again, very Zen! We were on 3rd floor with a huge balcony containing a full size bed, chairs and hot tub surrounded by an optional curtained enclosure overlooking the pool. We were high enough up we felt there was a lot of privacy despite the pool below. We could see the ocean in the distance. Unfortunately, a tropical storm set in that afternoon and hung around the next day so there was no sun time but I didn't mind because I could just lounge and relax on the balcony. The walk-in shower was fabulous and there was even a walk-in closet! My only complaint with the room was with the bed pillows--we each had one tiny pillow. If we had stayed an additional night I would have checked into it but just thought it humorous because the room has lots of decorative pillows--just no bed pillows. The mini-bar was well-stocked and good snacks were provided. After the beach in Tulum, this beach was pretty bad--lots of seaweed both in the water and on the beach and the water was not as blue. I don't think it was just because of the storm because you saw lots of remaining seaweed up and down the beach and my kids had stayed next door at the Excellence last fall and reported the same thing. We had dinner at the restaurant next to the lobby which had beautiful presentation but lacked a little in flavor. However, the breakfast the next day was the best I have ever had at an all-inclusive, I think. The drinks we had were good and made with brand liquor and the bars were not busy. Perhaps it was because of the rain but despite the beauty and serenity of this fabulous hotel, no one seemed to be having fun!!!!!!! There were a lot of "beautiful" people (who all seemed to be dressed in white with perfect children and over-the-top strollers) but I heard no laughter and not many smiling faces. This is definitely not the place for party people (which we aren't) but I just enjoy seeing people happy to be on vacation and these did not. I would not describe the atmosphere as "stiff"--just subdued. For someone looking for elegance, peacefulness, and luxury in a tropical setting, this La Amada is hard to beat. One quick tip--we had a rental car because of Tulum but even though my husband is pretty experienced with driving in Mexico navigating back through Cancun City--especially after some minor flooding caused street detours-was a challenge so I would advise taking the transfers unless you need a car for another reason.

Room Tip: Oceanfront ground floor rooms lack privacy
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Krum, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

We recently spent 4 days at La Amada and it was definitely the ultimate relaxation spot. If you are looking for entertainment and something more upbeat this is not the place for you. The food was excellent and the all inclusive plan is definitely worth the price we paid. We would have easily spent $400 a day on food at the resort if we had not gone all inclusive. I will say the only negative thing I have to say is the service for dining was slow. Even though the food was spectacular, I would have preferred buffet so I could eat when I wanted and leave when I wanted. My husband raved about the surf and turf at The Isla Grill. One thing we didn't know when we arrived is there is a hut next to the swim up bar that serves burgers, taco, pizza etc for lunch. Aroma was not my favorite restaurant and had we been there longer I would not have eaten dinner there again. Isla Grill would have been my restaurant choice for lunch & dinner.The guacamole was to die for!The average time we spent on meal with an 1 1/2 hours. The grounds and rooms were exactly like the pictures-immaculate! As far as the beach I was disappointed with the amount of seaweed. One reason I love Cancun is the beaches, I never experienced this in the hotel zone areas on other trips. Now for the massage I can say it wasn't the best and definitely not the worst, just middle of the road. The agua viva treatment that comes free with another purchase was not my cup of tea. All and all it was a great experience and the hotel truly is amazing.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Beloved Hotel? Share your experiences!