“La Amada - Does it compare to the Excellence Playa Mujeres” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Beloved Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Beloved Hotel to your Saves list
The Beloved Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Condominio Playa Mujeres, Playa Mujeres 77400, Mexico (Formerly La Amada Hotel)   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 20% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Birmingham
“La Amada - Does it compare to the Excellence Playa Mujeres”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We stayed at La Amada at the end of March 2011. Two years ago at the same time (just as Swine Flu hit Mexico) we stayed at the Excellence Playa Mujeres located next door.

La Amada is a small boutique hotel owned by the same company as the Excellence, as such there are many similarities. The rooms are very high standard, very spacious, great views and nice and modern. The room space and quality is better than the Excellence.

The food was great. The quality of the food was really high (as some meals can be bought as a la carte) and again the food quality and presentation was better than the Excellence. However, I was really disapointed with the number of restaurants and bars. There are three restaurants but only two ever opened (one was also the only lunch restaurant). There were two bars (one of which was the swim up pool bar) open and yet there was the function for a bar in the middle of the complex (near the kids area) and in the entrance lobby. Opening all the restaurants and bars would have added more variety and reduced waiting times for customers. The Excellence far exceeded La Amada on choice and variety of restaurants and bars. We never waited more than a minute or so at the Excellence for a drink but unfortunately the wait for a drink at La Amada could be up to 30 mins.

The beach was a bit of a state 2 years ago for both La Amada and the Excellence. Returning this year was a delight - the beach is much improved and the quality of sunloungers is very high.

Best of all was the Spa. The Spa at La Amada is fantastic. It's like a little piece of paradise and this is really where the hotel exceeds on the Excellence. I had the hot stone massage which was wonderful.

I would return to the Amada but not before going back to the Excellence. My stay was very very enjoyable but upon reflection I think the Excellence just pips La Amada to best hotel in Playa Mujeres.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

We recently stayed there for our honeymoon. The quality of the service, food, beautifully landscaped grounds, pools and beach were pristine! Management needs to know how good their staff is! So many personalites just light this place up from Diego at the concierge to Andrea at the Isla Grill to Pablo on the beach! Breakfast was our favorite - there is so much to choose from! multi flavored smoothies, baked goods, fruits and a hot buffet that is kept stocked and fresh. oh, and a mimosa bar to boot! We got to chat with Juan Garcia, the head chef, who was kind enough to share his insights about the menu. The grounds are always neat and tidy and everyone seems to take pride in that. The rooms are huge and swanky + have everything you need. Each room has a balcony, bar, lounge, jacuzzi and our favorite, the triple-head marble shower! There isn't much privacy in terms of the bathroom so you should defintely feel comfortable with whom you travel. The entire resort is pretty small but there aren't too many people in one place at one time, which is nice. The pools are huge and kept very clean. The swim up bar is pretty fun although that particular pool is mostly occupied by children during the day so it's not so relaxing. The beach is great and the water is pretty clear. since last year they've added cabanas that you can rent for $45 a day - this was kind of a bummer because they are the front row and block the view of the other huts. the beach is at least a mile and easy to walk. we love La Amada, absolutey love it. I do have to say we are easy going and just like to relax so we're pretty easy to please. We're not demanding but rather thankful to be on vacation and away from work.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

I usually wait before I leave a review. Need a bit of time to think about my experience at a resort.
1. Sorry to hear over run with families. This resort is not set up for that. Very chic...not a great idea to market to families. Our time in January was couples oriented.
2. Jan. weather in Mexico not great. Sun down too early as well.
3. All inclusive food option was to die for. Well worth the money.
4. The drinks not plentiful, champagne horrible, no pinot grigio by glass. Believe it or not I wouldn't go back because of that.
5. Rooms -new spacious -shower-exceptional
6. Need better breakfast variety
7. Restaurants beautiful
8. Beach a 10
9. Maid service good when its good, not so much if you forget to tip everyday (2 times a day)
10. Pools freezing in Jan.
11. Spa too expensive..too snooty
12. If your a middle age traveler you may feel out of place here. Beautiful bodies abound.
13. Swim up rooms rock..more spacious
14. Get a private car from airport instead of a bus...so much better.
We loved our time here. I was upset about champagne and wine...
I still give our stay an 8 out of ten.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

My husband and I traveled to La Amada for 7 days (end of March, beginning of April). We are in our early 30's and have been married a couple years. I checked this site several times before I left for tips, so here are mine!
Check-in:
Not as smooth as I hoped...simply because they were booked full and even though we booked a king, they only had a room with 2 double beds. We were staying 6 nights, specifically signed up for a king, and we weren't going to stay in a double bed that long on vacation...the check-in staff member, German, actually said the majority of the "junior suites" had double beds...this surprised me for a luxury resort and I wasn't sure he was being truthful, but we negotiated for several minutes and he finally agreed to find a specific king bed room for us to check into the following day. Glad we moved rooms after one night...the king bed was a much better experience for a couple!!
Also at check-in: a bellman escorts you to the room and shows all of the features, I like to be prepared with tips, so just good to know ahead of time. The room is lovely, the shower experience is amazing, jets all over the place, we called it the "car wash", the bed was hard but you get used to it, lots of space to unpack, and a nice balcony.

Beach tips:
Gorgeous, sun is POWERFUL, lots of shady grass huts, Wave-runners are $66 for a half hour down at Excellence (cash or credit card, cannot be billed to room). Excellence seems extremely similar to La Amada, just no kids. They have the same owner.
If you order a drink on the beach, be prepared to wait 30-40 minutes...or bring your own beers from the mini-bar in the room. The waiter comes by maybe every hour so it's really slow, doesn't matter if weekday or weekend. Just good to know! We'd order, go swimming for a half hour, dry off, get sun, and then the drinks would come. People in the rented cabanas had the exact same service and looked upset. If you go to the bar at Isla Grill restaurant during the day, the bartenders rarely help the guests, and will try to find a server to help you instead (which will take another 20 minutes) they don't want to serve people at the restaurant bars, they expect the beach waiter to take drink orders (note: there are only 1-2 waiters only per day for the entire beach/pool area)...

The solution is to wait until noon when the swim up bar opens. The swim up bar was open noon - 6 everyday and was the only bar that functioned as an American bar would, so if you want drinks, jump in, grab some drinks, and head back to the beach! Some days we stayed at the swim up bar, Juan Jose was awesome. Yes, there are a ton of kids around you in the pool, but it was not too bothersome and we made a bunch of friends there. Several people would have drinks in the pool and it was really the most social spot of the hotel. At night, it's QUIET.

We were kind of shocked the first night that at 9pm everyone went to sleep. Also, to note again, there isn't a bar to hang out around. We're not huge drinkers, but we don't mind meeting other couples and exchanging conversation after dinner. They had the Lupita Lounge, which had an amazing salsa band on Friday and Saturday night only from 8 - 10, but the few people there sat on couches and kept to themselves. My husband and I were the only ones dancing...why not, right? 7 piece salsa band...we had to! It was like we had our own private band. During the week, it's a quiet flautist or quiet guitar player. VERY quiet, but the waiters Valdemar and Guillermo were really sweet. We tipped cash most of the time and the staff loved us.

Food: the beef is the best I've ever had in Mexico, huge surprise, this is extremely unusual. We asked and learned they imported their beef from Texas. You cannot go wrong with the filet. The best meal is the surf & turf at Isla Grill for dinner. The most relaxing place for dinner is Isla Grill. The others (Aroma & Lupita) had a sterile feeling and had issues with service. We got the wrong bill most of the time, we were on all-inclusive so it didn't matter, but one night we got the completely wrong bill, someone else's much cheaper bill. We talked to the waiter and he said it was ok if we signed for the wrong food on all-inclusive, but we were wondering if some non-all-inclusive guest got stiffed with the expensive bill. This happened a couple times, and for this reason, there is no way we could consider this hotel 5 stars.
Same thing happened with room service. It was awesome to have breakfast in bed or on the balcony with all-inclusive, but they usually forgot something, or added items to the bill we didn't order. We tipped based on what we ordered. Also, if you want salt and pepper for room service, tell them ahead of time on the phone! Room service averaged a wait time of 45 minutes - hour. But the buffet at Aroma was really good too, not too crowded, great selection. Someone on tripadvisor compared it to the crowds of a cruise and that's ridiculous, this place was peaceful and quiet compared to any cruise buffet!!! The food was also very "clean" we really enjoyed it.

There was a wedding while we were there. I was worried after reading reviews, but the place has extremely slow service anyway, so we just accepted it and the wedding didn't bother us at all. Nice to meet a big group of fun people. They hotel still hosted a small bonfire on the beach for non-wedding guests on Saturday night, it was one hour from 7 - 8 p.m. They hired some Mayan dancers and live drummers. The beach at night is peaceful and relaxing. Since everyone else went to bed at 9pm, we'd go walk on the beach and it was fantastic.

SPA: Loved it, beautiful. My husband and I did the Aqua Viva together and it was hilarious. I use that word because we were trying not to laugh, but it was super fun and relaxing at the same time. How many ways can we spray the gringo with water??!!! You go to the steam room, then get rubbed down in a ice room with crushed ice, then you have to walk from a pool of hot water to a pool of ice cold water, then the sauna, then you get water dumped on your head from a bucket, then you lay on an iron bed in water with bubbles, then stand under a waterfall, then have the swan neck spout shoot water at you (very strong!) The whole deal lasts an hour. Highly recommend because it's a new experience, and it will get you laughing, plus it ends with a really relaxing massage on heated stone massage beds. I then went in with a male massage therapist named Adrian for a hot stone massage ( he was excellent) and my husband had a basic massage that he loved as well. We also hit the fitness center a few mornings and it was clean and very nice.

We went to Isla Mujeres, the garrafon park is closed on the weekend, good to know, but we rented a golf cart, drove around, finally got to playa norte and the beach water was as turquoise as some we've seen in Tahiti. Bring cash/pesos to rent some chairs and towels and you are good to go for the day.

Last note: there were a bunch of comments about the big pools by the suite buildings not being heated. We spent a day at one of those pools and it was perfectly warm. Maybe the time of year? But those pools were great, no one was ever there, very relaxing. But the temp was exactly the same as the main "swim-up" bar pool. And yes, the jacuzzis were the same temp as the pool, if you want a real jacuzzi, go to the one in your room or go to the spa. They don't keep the public jacuzzi's hot. But there are so many options for relaxing in water here, it's ok!!
Anyway, very long story short, we overall loved it after we got used to the very slow pace and the bill mix-ups. If we were not on all-inclusive, we'd probably be very disturbed by the billing. We will most likely go back and bring our friends to have a more social experience. But we got to know the staff and loved them. Fernando, Yolanda, Alberto, Eric, Valdemar, and Andrea were all really friendly and so much fun to talk with. We came home relaxed and happy. Feel free to send me a note if you have any further questions!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

We have been to La Amada twice now, and originally I wrote a review noting that this was probably the "best place I've ever stayed at". While after a second trip that likely remains to be the case, there are a few caveats to throw out there.

First, I should state the good - it's pretty much a secluded paradise. The rooms are gorgeous and spacious, the bathrooms are really quite nice. The Spa & Wellness Center is a must-go to, all the facilities are really top notch. The food (while expensive) is generally quite good, specifically the Aroma restaraunt.

For the few negatives, I have to admit that we were spoiled by our first visit. The place was brand new, the spa was free, the place was nearly vacant so we had it to ourselves, the food was much cheaper than it has become. So, perhaps that skews our second visit.

Still, the most alarming aspect of the return visit is that it seemed to move away from gearing itself towards couples and relaxation and - surprisingly - is finding itself a family destination. This hotel is not a place that children will or should enjoy, and frankly, all they really will do is spoil the time for everyone else. The chic "swim-up bar" was over-run with screaming children, as were the grounds in general. Which is really unfortunate, as otherwise, this is just about the most relaxing place you'll find.

Lastly - this place is secluded, and you aren't going to want to travel anywhere else off of the hotel grounds once you get there - that's part of the charm. However, if you are interested in Mexican culture, cuisine and a little more liveliness, you will want to spend sometime outside of La Amada. I'd recommend staying in Playa Del Carmen, we have done so twice. It will also make the trip more affordable as equally tasty food is a fraction of the price, even though it remains a relatively touristy area (but not to much so).

Still, if you are looking for relaxation & luxury, La Amada really is the place to go.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

La Amada exceeded all of my expectations. My husband & I stayed the last week of March. The weather was perfect. We have stayed at many other AI's in the past & this one by far is our favorite.

The staff is friendly & hard working. I was astounded at the cleanliness of the facility, right down to the fresh coverings on the beach beds & pillows. The room was so romantic. I have to mention that the towels & linens are not only clean but smell so good. There is no card voucher for a beach towel. You can use what towels you need without any hassle.

The food was very good. The seafood, particularly, was very good & so fresh! Our favorite restaurant was the Isla Grill, not only for the food, but the staff was truly wonderful. Yolanda, Andrea, and Raul made us feel so welcome & took such good care of us. They were definitely a pleasure to see & did influence our restaurant choice.
I can't say enough wonderful things about La Amada. The resort is beautiful!!

The beach is beautiful & serene. No irritating music. Yoga at the beach (under a shaded area) was a great experience. This is free & offered to anyone on the weekends but is a private instructor option with a charge on other days.

There were plenty of chairs on the beach & around the pool with small tables for beverages. They even have pillows on the beach chairs- nice touch. It seems that they have thought of many details that create comfort & relaxation.

We got the swim up suite & were so happy we did!- Definitely worth the upgrade. The pool temperature was perfect. Beverages & snacks were replaced daily.

There was absolutely no pressure to book any excursions or even the spa. We were surprised that no one approached us to get more tourist dollars out of us. We did choose to go to the spa by the suggestion of those of you on TA- otherwise, I probably would have missed out. We did the couples massage with the bath & champagne. Fabulous, Wow, Amazing-- Super romantic & unforgettable!

We are already planning to return!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

can't think what they could do better. read a review about teh buffet being crowded but we did not experince and thought the food was awesome. Bell staff really friendly and gave our small kids rides on the luggage cart all the time. golf course next door is great.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Beloved Hotel? Share your experiences!