“The worst hotel that I have ever stayed in.” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strada del Porto 71, 05100 Piediluco, Terni, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Piediluco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Princes Risborough, United Kingdom
“The worst hotel that I have ever stayed in.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

On arrival the exterior looked very tired,and run down - weeds on the paths, peeling paint etc. Went to reception, receptionist was on the phone filing her nails and completely ignored us for a few minutes. We finally went to our room commenting that the hotel appeared to be empty and certainly gave the impression of being a "ghost hotel". The room itself was in the same condition as the exterior, whilst being reasonably clean everything was faded and tired. The beds were awful. It was like sleeping on a marble slab and the pillow was no better. As the hotel is fairly remote we decided that we had little option but to eat at the hotel so went to book at reception. However, we were informed that they were full and it may not be possible! We were surprised but eventually they said that theycould squeeze us in if we were there by 7pm. We were squeezed into the corner of what became some private function. The food was simply appalling!! I ordered fish and vegetables (the best I could find on the menu). What I got was a plate of deep-fried batter. I won't even mention the "wine"! We went back to the room only to have to fight our way through hoards of unruly teenagers. There were obviously about 3 or 4 school/youth groups staying at the hotel whilst taking part in various watersports on the lake. To cut a long story short, they ran riot until about 2.30am. When my husband went to reception to ask if there was anyone in charge of these"children" he was told "what do you expect, they are only children"!! We decided to wait until later in the morning before venturing to breakfast hoping that by 9am it may be more peaceful - however the chaos was still in full swing, we were given a table which already had a stale croissant on a plate and had to help ourselves to awful coffee in paper cups. We felt terrible, paid the bill (not cheap) and left. I would need to be paid good money to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Direzione_H_D_L, Direttore at Hotel Del Lago, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Dear Madame,

you wrote you have been at Hotel del Lago Piediluco in June. I wish to hope that you’re wrong and that you wrote about another hotel. I don’t want to avoid responsibilities but let me however reply that the only groups of children we received in 2010 arrived on July, the first. Doesn’t matter. I hope this is the last complaint that the entire town of Piediluco receives.
I will anyway think it’s the right hotel, follow this approach and continue my letter.
Your severe opinions seem to be ordered by the worst enemy. We use to be very proud of our work and commitment. I’m the manager of the Hotel and I may understand some of your complaints: the Hotel was not empty during your stay as you thought before. Unfortunately, you have been disturbed from a hundred of children who were there because the most important “under 14” italian race of rowing (Festival dei Giovani) was held in Piediluco in the beginning of July.
We’ve a “MUST” during this kind of rowing races: DO NOT ACCEPT INDIVIDUAL RESERVATIONS! But we did accept yours, unfortunately for both us and you, above all. During this kind of week-ends (two or three a year) we change some service and breakfast standards, sometimes the lunch and dinner standards, too. I apologize you didn’t get a smart and fast attention at the arrival. At the check-in moment, we follow our welcome standards, full of care, information and kindness… also fastness, if possible, even if we’re not a business or a city hotel. I’m also sorry that you didn’t like our coffee. Maybe we should serve coffee in another kind of cup during the sport-events too but you should taste another coffee because we set at disposal almost three kinds of coffee at breakfast time… and may be it could be appreciable. What else about your un-satisfaction? I regret we welcame you as you described, It’s wrong, of course, more than extraordinary and unusual… perhaps something new for us even if it’s possible to wait for a while before check-in. We only have one front-office and telephone exchange all together in a large front-desk. In any case, I still apologize for your wait. About the rates, please, see that we don’t change them since 2008.
I usually very appreciate the (positive) comments of our Clients. I will not ignore yours. The review you sent about five months late from your visit to Piediluco was a great bad surprise and we’ll not forget that. We learnt that our staff has always to be alert, above all when they are deeply concentrated on a special event that involves the youngest Clients of the year of the Hotel. Bu please, let us keep the pleasure and the honour to welcome and host the Olympic gold medals of the past, of the present and of the future, also in such as week-end and unlucky overnight.
Let me also say that I was delighted of your writing style. I also like to write in magazines and newspapers sometimes, in Italian of course. Your style is not sharp and bitter only but very enjoy-full and readable. If I was not able to appreciate the contents I really appreciated your style. In any case, we kindly ask you to forgive the mistakes we did, because I’m afraid that we from Piediluco did something wrong.

Kindest regards.
Hotel del Lago Piediluco
Ignazio Campoccia, the manager

P.s.: please, accept my apologies for my un-perfect English.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2004

The room is clean, good size. the breakfast was well provided. the waiter for lunch the first day we were there was a little pushy in trying to get us to get the prefix when we really were not interested in eating that much and it wasnt that high a quality. this is where the Italian olympic rowing team stayed for training before the games so it became a little noisy at times.
the staff were polite on the whole and helpful in finding the falls, which were lovely.
keep in mind too that the roads do wind from terni to Piediluco so it is a place for people that want to stay in the country for a period of time.

Been to Hotel Del Lago? Share your experiences!