“Convenient B&B for Cullompton area and M5 (if you have a car!)” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Arlington to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
The Arlington
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Hillside House Hele, Hele, Cullompton EX5 4PW, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hele B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Convenient B&B for Cullompton area and M5 (if you have a car!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The lady who runs this B&B is friendly. The rooms in which we have stayed have always been clean. The style varies between different rooms. Most of the time, we have had self-service breakfast on our own - there is a wide selection of different items, including cereal, fruit juice, baked beans, flapjack and, often, delicious freshly baked scones. Wifi is free. The only minor issue is that we once ran out of shower gel as they generally only leave one sachet in the en-suite bathroom. I have stayed here twice and we would likely stay again if and when we next visit Devon.

If you are looking for an evening meal, the Merry Harriers serves good portions of pub food and is only a short drive away. Steak night (Thursday I think) is particularly good if there are two of you who like steak.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
llamahome, Owner at The Arlington, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
You do not need a car (although useful, if you go on the M5)! We have a frequent (twenty minute) bus service to Cullompton/Tiverton and Exeter. The restaurant will collect and return you for no charge. We generally leave the toiletries per person; this incident was human error, for which we apologised and repleced, when the guest mentioned the deficiency at the time.

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Cairns, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

There was nobody anywhere in sight when we arrived and I honestly thought we must have been at the wrong house as I missed the sign on the main road with the name of the B and B. There was no cars in the car park and a large broken pot plant holder and a pile of gravel in front of door and it really looked unkept and closed. We found a post it note on door with a phone number, so rang and it went to message bank. We had to go looking for the owner, we visited next door and was told to try the house behind as the mother of the owner lived there. We did this and the mother said she would try and find the host. We went back to house and waited about 5 minutes and then the front door opened and the host let us in. The reception we received from the host was a lot to be desired, we did not find her friendly, helpful or apologetic for having us wait 35 minutes.

The room was lovely, large comfortable with kettle and fridge but the view of the back yard from our room was terrible, there was rubbish and planks of wood all along the pathway and bird poop all over our window. It was a real let down. The breakfast was self serve and OK but I cannot recommend and I would not return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
llamahome, Owner at The Arlington, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
I am afraid that this guest must have arrived early, as I met them at the door at check in time unaware that they had arrived any earlier, because I was feeding the livestock. Hence, I gave no apologies! The post it note was for someone else. The other guests were out, so there were no other cars. I am not sure why more cars were needed. We have builders doing work and the wood was theirs. They had also demolished our plant pot with their van. The gravel was in the process of being laid and may have made it seem unkempt. As for birds, the swallows were nesting above the window. the guests were chatty and said they were happy with everything when asked if they needed anything. I am surprised by their review and I wonder why they said nothing about it in three days.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Nice and friendly welcome,good clean and spacious rooms. Nothing more to add really as the other (good) reviews have just about got it covered. The short journey for the evening meal was no problem as we took advantage of their free taxi service.We stayed for one night while working in the area and found it ideal for our purpose.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Great little B&B, friendly owner and rooms are clean, well equipped and modern with free Wifi. En suite bathroom was great and very powerful shower. Breakfast is not memorable but sufficient and you are left to your own devices which is nice. Only thing I'm not used to as a city dweller were the farm animals and the cockerel which is the outdoor alarm clock. If I wanted to sleep in, I would have been more annoyed but fortunately needed to be up early anyway. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a lovely place to stay, which is really different to just about anywhere else I've ever stayed. Well equipped room with a fridge. Help-yourself breakfast and snacks left in the dining room. Farm animals in the back garden. Only downside is you have to travel for an evening meal.
We received a very warm welcome after driving through this summer's torrential rain for the whole day.
Top it all off with good value rates.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Waterlooville UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in May 2012 for 3 nights. What a pleasure, , On first appearence it seemed a bit different to hotels we were used to but the manageress a lovely lady made us welcome, The room was spacious and had all the amenities we would wish for. The shower was brilliant. We loved the way the breakfast was help yourself and very generous. It is in a great location , easy access to the motorway and a short drive into Exeter.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed here in June 2012 on my own for two nights as I was filming web videos in the area. I found the location from the Bedandbreakfastsguide website.

Everything about this hotel suited me perfectly; easy to reach, quiet area, good home made food and real ale at the Five Bells pub nearby, and parking right at the door.

The rooms are bright, modern and clean and have a clever security / entry system- I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Arlington? Share your experiences!