“Still great.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Ko Racha Yai
edinburgh
“Still great.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We first came here 4 years ago and loved it, and whilst we generally prefer to try new places, on this trip to Thailand we decided to return to the Racha. We stayed at 5 different hotels, of which the Racha was the cheapest. We even stayed at the top rated hotel on TA that cost 3 times as much. Yes, that hotel was cool, but we won't go back, whereas we will return to The Racha.

People on TA seem to often complain about:
The speedboat ride - I think it's a cool, fun, James Bond way to arrive that lets you know something special is starting. OK, it might be a little bumpy, but other than a Heli, there aren't many other ways to get to an island.
The pier - yes, when the waves are choppy this can be interesting, but the staff will help you if need be. If you really do have trouble walking best check with the staff before you book as to whether they have a method to get you on and off the island.
The wildlife - I think it's quite cute that there are big old lizards wandering around. They are more scared of you than you are of them though. Mosquitos - they are at every hotel near a beach. Use the repellent left in your wardrobe.
The beach - yes, it is sad that there are loads of boats and holidaymakers, but it's the same at every beach you want to go to in Thailand. At least they go at 4 and you get a couple of lovely hours. One suggestion that one TA whiner had I think was good that the management would do well to pick up on was that of paying to upgrade all the tatty multicoloured plastic umbrellas that the beach vendors let with cream canvas and wood ones. It would make the hotel appear a lot classier, both from the outside looking in, and for guests enjoying the view out. If you really have issue with the busy beach, there are at least 3 others a 10-15 min walk away that will be deserted.
The Staff - I don't get this. Every single member of staff seemed lovely. Smiley, happy, and helpful. I'm not sure what else people want from them?

Other thoughts. The basic Deluxe Villa is lovely. Unless you want sea views from your bed, I'm not sure there's much point upgrading. The pool suite we looked around was lovely, but I'm not sure the benefits warrant the 3x price hike.

Food - it's an international hotel, and I guess the food has to cater for many tastes. Me, I'm interested in thai food, so the shack on the rocks next to the hotel serves competent thai favourites but will never win any prizes but is a mere hop and skip from the Racha. On Siam beach there is a lovely beachfront restaurant that is a distinct improvement over the shack, but it is some 15 mins walk in the dark. Apparently they will give you a lift back if you ask. But, this is still an island, so there is little competition for standard or price.

In summary, we still love the Racha. It still feels like a special adventure. Next time we come to Thailand, despite trying out some new places, the Racha will be the only place we return to. And not just for a second time - it will be a third.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheRacha, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear cccedinburgh,

It is a great pleasure for my team and me to know that you had a pleasant stay with us again. We were so happy to hear you “still love The Racha”.

Thank you for sharing your genuine and thorough feedback. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and we have noted your comment regarding the beach umbrellas.

It has been our joy to serve you again and we look forward to your third visit to The Racha.

736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I'd like to share my amazing wedding ceremony Nov 2012 on the Racha Hotel. the exiting journey start from the wonderful racha office on the mainland, and then the private boat took us to the racha hotel.all of my family are exiting on what they saw. the bride room is a "2 Bedroom grand pool suites" woo, I remeber that is a sunshine afternoon, when we enter the room, some of our member were shocked by the facilitates and cannot wait and just jump into the swimming pool.... :) it's amazing, my wife love the room and love the services they provided. I'd like to highlitht the perfect platform of our wedding ceremony, the arc of the all yellow flowers, and some small flowers are put on the gound where bride and groom will stand. the wedding master is a good person, the music is well-selected, it's a so beautiful moment, my wife were almost tears.... even a rainbow shows on the sky when I say "I do" blue sky, sea, and the mountain..... like a dream, I could not image how it could be better... the dinner is on the grass ground, with a very beautiful table with well decorated. we even have a latin during the dinner... after you return to the room, you was strongly surprised by your bed room adn the bath room... so many Hearted red rose and flowers.... woo... couldn't be better.... woooo.. thank you Racha, the wonder wedding ceremony make my wife so happy.... thank you all, thank you all!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TheRacha, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Edward W,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful comments on your wedding day at The Racha.

Being part of your special day was such an honor for all of us. My team and I were so happy to hear that you and your wife Angel had an “amazing” wedding with us and you were both pleased with our accommodations and services.

Again, thank you for making The Racha a part of your memorable day. Best wishes to the both you and we look forward to seeing you at the resort again soon.

SG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Quite simply the most amazing resort I've experienced in my trips to Phuket.

As we arrive at the bay pier, the turquoise waters set amidst sun-baked sand in the bay took my breath away instantly. No other beaches in Phuket can afford this really. Our villa suite had a first row view of the bay and every sunset was a delight. We spent every single day of our 4-day stay snorkelling and sun-bathing in the bay.

This resort sits on true prime real estate on Ko Racha bar none which also meant that you get boats offloading day trippers for their day in the sun from 11am to 4pm everyday. So we simply escaped to the main pool (offering an elevated view of the bay) and away from the horde.

A veritable escape from the world.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ringare,

Thank you so much for writing us an amazing review!

It is truly an honor to read that our location and property “took your breath away” and you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

It has been our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to being of service to you again when you next return to Phuket.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed at The Racha in November for 4 days as a mini-moon. Firstly, it's positioned on one of Thailand's best beaches (Batok Bay); the sand is whiter than Phi Phi, and the water clearer. Fish swim right up to the water's edge, and the sun sets on this side too - perfect. Most days, daytrippers descend on it between 10 and 3 or so (can't blame them); this is the time to retreat just behind the Racha's perimeter and survey the beach from there, or head to one of the 3 stunning infinity pools (two of those also overlook the beach, while one is hidden in the gardens).

The check-in process is nice; you arrive in Chalong Bay in Phuket, and check in at the office there, in the clean white surroundings that mirror that of the hotel. You sort our the paperwork, and choose what scent of toiletries you want in your room (jasmine, lavender or lemongrass). Complimentary drinks and cakes while you wait, before you're transferred to the speedboat, whisking you to the island in half an hour or so. Having already checked in, you're given your room keys and guided to your room by the friendly and efficient staff, but not before you're handed an iPod pre-loaded with chillout music, which you can dock in your room (or update with different music at the library).

Our room (we stayed in a Deluxe Garden Villa), was stunning and large, with a huge bathroom with bath and shower, as well as an additional outdoor shower, and a lovely sea-facing terrace. The grounds are lovely, and you can often spot water monitor lizards wondering around, as well as some funky-looking birds and lots of butterflies.

The restaurants (there are 3 or 4), are very good, and though not cheap, they are reasonable for the quality. (There are some cheaper places to eat within easy walking distance, but to be honest, the hotel restaurants are very much worth it.) If you look very closely, you can see some signs of wear on the shower grouting, and the plastering, but it's really minimal, and everything is spotlessly clean.

It's a blissful place to spend a few days (or weeks I imagine), and the staff even take good care of you when they drop you back in Phuket; whether you transfer with them or ask them to get you a local cab.
ps: November is said to still be quite rainy, but we had gorgeous weather.

Room Tip: Deluxe Garden Villas are large, close to the pool and beach, and lovely.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Andrea G,

Your review was an absolute pleasure to read! The detail of your positive comments about our property and service is very much appreciated by our entire team. You touch on the very things we continue to work at so we can excel. We are very glad our efforts are paying off. Thank you very much!

It has been our joy to serve you. Thank you for such a wonderful review and we look forward to seeing you at The Racha again soon.

Genf
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We are just enjoying our last 48 hours of our 5 day stay on the beautiful island of ko racha in the racha hotel. The hotel offers all you want from a 5 star resort (different pools, nice equipped villas, good restaurants etc). However, the service is not always up to the high aspiration of the hotel. Examples include missing pool towels as of around mid day at the pools and beach (it might take some time even after asking to get one), my table reservation for our anniversary and special table request with view on the sea ended in a view on a big bush also nothing was decorated etc., the offered activities were often not taking place in our case we tried to go snorkeling on the daily trip three times, but it never took place. Hence, overall this really took down the experience. Important to note that the hotel breakfast is great and the hotel even offers everyday some cocktail canapés at about 6 pm. The daily tourist didn't bother us, as the infinity pool overseeing the ocean is much nicer than beachfront. The island overall is great, in the middle is a small village with dive shop and restaurants, also you have another resort with restaurant spa on a separate bay which is much better for snorkeling. Many thanks to Canada for her excellent service at breakfast/pool.

Room Tip: For 2 the normal villa seems perfectly fine.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear weltenbummler001,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us.

We were pleased to hear our property and facilities met your expectations. However, please accept our sincere apologies for the service shortfalls you experienced during your recent stay with us. Such lapses in service standards are not acceptable to us. Customer satisfaction is a huge focus at our hotel and please be advised that my team and I have taken the necessary corrective action to address the issues you have brought up.

On a positive note, we appreciate your kind compliments on our breakfast and one of our staff.
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your honest feedback. We look forward to serving you better in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

After 2 Excellent stays at the Racha, it has become my favourite place in the world.
Set on its own Island with the most beautiful bay, the water is crystal clear and the sand pristine.
The room was very stylish and comfortable, with great design. The bathroom was huge, and everything looked very new and fresh.
They have 3 restaurants and after 1 week, I was still loving the food. Lunches by the pool were my favourite.
The service was perfect, and the staff were extremely kind, and could not of been more helpful. I went to the spa numerous times, (not as many as my girlfriend did) and would recommend it to any one, I would say they have the best massages in Thailand. My last stay has been one of best holidays ever, and I cant wait to return next year.

Room Tip: The Junior pool suite I last stayed in had excellent views of the bay
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheRacha, General Manager at The Racha, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear DavidTexUk,

Thank you so much for writing us an incredible review.

We were happy to hear that you had an “excellent” stay with us again. We truly appreciate your wonderful comments and will share these great words of encouragement with our staff.

It has been our joy and privilege to serve you and your girlfriend and we look forward to being of service to you again when you next return to “your favourite place in the world”.

Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

no words cant express how amazing the Racha is !! it's just perfect relaxing, happy and enjoyable place.
There you can feel a perfect divine connection with nature,sun and people.
Service is perfect, the people working there were joyful, smiling all the time and helpful also.
The best place you feel like home and i end up crying for leaving it :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear mariamgeorge,

Thank you very much for leaving us an amazing review.

Taking good care of our guests is our top priority and making our guests happy is our absolute joy. We greatly appreciate your very kind comments and will share these words of encouragement with our staff.

It has been our privilege to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Racha soon.

Gerard Tan

Been to The Racha? Share your experiences!