We first came here 4 years ago and loved it, and whilst we generally prefer to try new places, on this trip to Thailand we decided to return to the Racha. We stayed at 5 different hotels, of which the Racha was the cheapest. We even stayed at the top rated hotel on TA that cost 3 times as much. Yes, that hotel was cool, but we won't go back, whereas we will return to The Racha.
People on TA seem to often complain about:
The speedboat ride - I think it's a cool, fun, James Bond way to arrive that lets you know something special is starting. OK, it might be a little bumpy, but other than a Heli, there aren't many other ways to get to an island.
The pier - yes, when the waves are choppy this can be interesting, but the staff will help you if need be. If you really do have trouble walking best check with the staff before you book as to whether they have a method to get you on and off the island.
The wildlife - I think it's quite cute that there are big old lizards wandering around. They are more scared of you than you are of them though. Mosquitos - they are at every hotel near a beach. Use the repellent left in your wardrobe.
The beach - yes, it is sad that there are loads of boats and holidaymakers, but it's the same at every beach you want to go to in Thailand. At least they go at 4 and you get a couple of lovely hours. One suggestion that one TA whiner had I think was good that the management would do well to pick up on was that of paying to upgrade all the tatty multicoloured plastic umbrellas that the beach vendors let with cream canvas and wood ones. It would make the hotel appear a lot classier, both from the outside looking in, and for guests enjoying the view out. If you really have issue with the busy beach, there are at least 3 others a 10-15 min walk away that will be deserted.
The Staff - I don't get this. Every single member of staff seemed lovely. Smiley, happy, and helpful. I'm not sure what else people want from them?
Other thoughts. The basic Deluxe Villa is lovely. Unless you want sea views from your bed, I'm not sure there's much point upgrading. The pool suite we looked around was lovely, but I'm not sure the benefits warrant the 3x price hike.
Food - it's an international hotel, and I guess the food has to cater for many tastes. Me, I'm interested in thai food, so the shack on the rocks next to the hotel serves competent thai favourites but will never win any prizes but is a mere hop and skip from the Racha. On Siam beach there is a lovely beachfront restaurant that is a distinct improvement over the shack, but it is some 15 mins walk in the dark. Apparently they will give you a lift back if you ask. But, this is still an island, so there is little competition for standard or price.
In summary, we still love the Racha. It still feels like a special adventure. Next time we come to Thailand, despite trying out some new places, the Racha will be the only place we return to. And not just for a second time - it will be a third.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 12 miles south of Phuket on Racha Yai island, The Racha is Thailand's premier deluxe island hideaway. Set on a pristine white-powdery beach and surrounded by the dazzling turquoise waters of the Andaman Sea, this five star resort features 70 stylish villas offering the ultimate in luxurious comfort, from private pool villas with underwater music, to a very unique 5-storey Lighthouse Pool Villa with an observation deck offering panoramic views around the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Racha reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Racha Hotel Ko Racha Yai
- Racha Hotel Yai Island
- Racha Yai Island
- Racha Phuket
- The Racha Ko Racha Yai, Phuket, Thailand