“Relaxing” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We spent 6 days at Pavilions in September. Our villa was large, comfortable and very well appointed.
We enjoyed the typically-Thai friendly, personalised service from all of the staff who appeared to have been well selected for their roles in the resort.
Despite being almost a stand-alone property, a taxi or hotel drop-off from the beach and local attractions, we found all the facilities of our villa and the resort meant we didn't need to go elsewhere.
The Thai cooking course, in our case with the head chef, was a highlight and great fun.

Room Tip: I would have preferred a sunset-view villa but a cool drink at 360 Bar as the sun dropped over the h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed at the Pavilions for 5 nights.

I booked for airport transfer. The driver was waiting for me at the far end of the group so it took a while to find him. It is a hotel mini van with cold towel and water waiting for us. It took about 25 minutes to reach the hotel.

The hotel is built on the slope, with sea view villas more on the top of the hill, the spa & pool villas on the bottom. The multi-room villas are located on the right, facing east. Ocean view villas are facing west, so guests can enjoy the sunset.

Another cold towel, welcome drink and a bouquet of flower was waiting for us at the reception. Simona, guest relations manager came to meet us and introduce a few things to us. Reception is located halfway on the slope, overlooking the south east direction. Then a buggy, a golf-cart-like electric car took us to our sea view villa. The villa is very spacious, big living room, big bedroom and big bathroom. The pool is enormous. A small kitchen is attached to the living room. The living room has a big couch, a table with 2 chairs, and a not-so-big flat TV. The bedroom opens to the pool, which is very nice. The bathroom is very spacious, with separate tub and shower. If there were a stool in the bath room it would be much better. The roof top is a A-shaped very high wooden structure. Ipod nano with songs are provided in the living room

In the pool side, there are lounger chairs, a table with 2 chairs, and a sala right next to the pool. The pool is so big, but the tiles have sharp edges. It is excellent to sit on the loungers at sunset.

I have a few suggestions though to the sea view villa. The bed is too soft to sleep, and the living room too dark. The hotel could have installed more lights in the living room, it is the guests who will choose how many lights to turn on. The room is so dark that I actually fell sleep on the couch one night while watching DVD.

I also stayed at the Spa & Pool villa for a few nights. Most of the villas are access by taking the funicular. Alternatively you can take the steps if you prefer. The layout of the villa is quite different. Bigger living room but smaller bathroom. The villa is facing south, the valley. The Spa & Pool villa is a bit dated and in need of some maintenance. It has a separate spa room and is very nicely decorated. There is a big verandah big enough to hold a dinning table with 2 chairs, and I put the 2 loungers in the verandah for use. The garden area has more lights than in the sea view villa. Lights in the living room is much better than the sea view villa. Bathroom is painted in black but lights are enough. We found some ants wandering on the sala bed, even after I asked house keeping to spray some repellent on it, so we did not use the sala at all.

Guests need the buggy to travel around the resort, and is always available through a phone call. However, I have experienced a few time that I need to call more than once for a buggy. I suggest that a phone be placed at the waiting area after funicular because if the guests don’t see the buggy at waiting area, they can only go back to the villa to call again, or just wait.

Breakfast is provided at Plantation restaurant, which is located just one minute from reception. Very good view of the surrounding area. You can order from a la cart menu plus a selection from buffet table. Quite enough selection to choose from. And most of the dishes are very good indeed. Service is generally very good, especially Alex and Can who always wear a smile on the face. My wife had a wonderful French toast as main for 2 consecutive days, however, on the third day that she ordered the French toast, it was a complete letdown. She had to return for 2 times to ask for a remake. In the first remake, the crème came out melting, so we guess that definitely the dish was sitting in the kitchen for a long time. On the second remake, or the third time, it was still no good, but gave up to order the fourth time We later found out that the chef that made the good French toast was off that day.

I ordered some room service to dine at the garden area, both for lunch and dinner. Delivery was quick, about 20 minutes after placing order. I also had the in villa BBQ dinner at one night, with seafood. To tell the truth, the food was just average for a price more than 5,000 BHT for 2 persons, it was the atmosphere that made it enjoyable. One problem is that most food was done at the same time so most of them are already cool when we came to eat them, even after we asked the cook to slow down.

In the sea view villa, the spa was done in the corridor and in the bathroom which is a bit weird. In the Spa & pool villa, the spa done in the spa room was very good. Good environment, and much effort by the masseure.

I took the cooking class on one lunch time at the Plantation, and it was fun to learn to cook Thai food. I also took advantage of the afternoon tea at Eastland. Environment is good, a small plate of cakes and cookies, with a cup of tea is so enjoyable.

The hotel is about 10 minutes away from Bang Tao beach which has abundance of restaurants there and beautiful sands.

Overall, a very beautiful ground, with very good service in general, just some individuals need some more training. Food is generally very good.

Room Tip: If price is not a big concern, choose a sea view villa
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JCNager, General Manager at The Pavilions Phuket, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Reader,

We would like to thank these guests for the extensive review of their Pavilions experience, which will certainly be very helpful for couples planning their future stay at our love retreat.

We are delighted to read that they experienced both one of our newly renovated Ocean View Pool Villas, where the bathroom turns into your Spa haven, as well as our Spa & Pool Pavilion, featuring its own private Spa room - the ultimate pampering temptation!

We also appreciate their valuable suggestions and input on how to further improve our signature accommodations and services.

Ultimately it is of course our staff’s genuine service attitude and renowned smile making the difference in the guest experience, and we are thrilled that this couple cherished their Phuket escape.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

No doubt that staffs at lobby, in house restaurants and the massage therapists are very attentive to my few requests. The penthouse pool spa villa is not only spacious for myself but also very quiet.

However, the villas needs to be renovated. Some may disagree with me but when I compare to other places where I pay the similar price (usd700/per night), this place needs to get an update. This is not up to management, the owner's responsibility.

Reservation manager did a good job in reserving tee times and airport pick/drop off for me.

The restaurant produce great food and I agree with other customers whom have indicated the similar experiences.

Located in a very hilly terrain but this what I like...

I would have given a 4 start to the review but I can't. A day prior to my departure and the only day that I had my money out of the safe box, the money was stolen. I discover this only because I wanted to take out more USD and exchange to Baht to give tips out on top of the 10 percent service charge they tag on.The amount that was taken was significant and the thieve made goooood money. I believe, the person had information of when I was away and direct access to my villa.

I want all readers to know that I did speak to the GM prior of checking out about the incident. I indicated that I did not want any compensation from the hotel or pursued this matter any further. There is no possible way for her to control every staff and I will not put the responsibility on to her.

There are couple bad apples working in this resort and this should not reflect on to the entire group.

My point is to keep the money in safe no matter which hotel you stay at and I had no one else to blame but myself.

FYI, I did give tips to the hotel driver who dropped me off at the airport. Don't think I am cheap spender

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
JCNager, General Manager at The Pavilions Phuket, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Reader,

First and foremost we would like to thank this guest for sharing his experience on Tripadvisor. We sincerely value our guests’ suggestions and constructive feedback, supporting us in further improving and fine tuning the unique experience synonymous with The Pavilions, Phuket.

It is a pleasure to read that this guest appreciated our team’s heartfelt service; whether pre-arrival when planning the upcoming getaway, at our restaurants and bars, or during our signature in villa Spa treatments.

We were obviously very concerned about the incident reported just minutes prior to the guest’s departure and have tried to retrieve as many details as possible from the customer in order to follow up on the events from our side.

As also expressed in person, we deeply regret that this episode has cast a shadow on an otherwise enjoyable and relaxing stay and would like to reassure our readers that a full investigation is underway to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We checked in at the Pavillions after 2 nights in Bangkok , it felt like a real escape from the city.

The Chef is impeccable, talented in Thai cuisine and a variety of international food.

The GM met with us upon check in, came across friendly

No doubt the attention to detail is high, villa is modern and comfy.

The massage was ok in comparison to other spas we have been to in the last 6 months including Pierre et Vacances ski resort in France,Soul Space in Florence, another in Rome and the Grand Hyatt in Doha, Qatar.

The staff are friendly and helpful despite limited english communication

The negatives:

we recommend all valuables to be kept in the safe at all times. We lost an Iphone shortly after check in and never found it. it was between the reception area and the villa. As a nice gesture, Management has deleted 2 massage sessions for both of us off the bill. It was indeed generous (4 sessions complimentary).

Resort is built on a steep slope, walking is almost impossible but carts were available instantaneously.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JCNager, General Manager at The Pavilions Phuket, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Reader,

We are delighted that these guests thoroughly enjoyed their tropical getaway!
It is with pleasure that we learn how much they treasured the culinary experience, personalized service and rejuvenating Spa treatments that define our romance destination.

Our aim is to provide a memorable experience to all our guests and no efforts are spared in the delivery of our service promise. We are pleased to assist even in matters outside of our direct control, as is the case for valuables not placed in the safe, and it is certainly nice to read how much these guests appreciated our goodwill gesture in this respect.

We certainly hope to have the pleasure to welcome them back to our love retreat in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed 3 nights 4 days here at Ocean View Villa 19. Everything was amazing. Right from the warm welcome with cold towels, to a quick check in, to the gorgeous and tastefully decorated villa itself, to the in-villa spa service, to the authentic Thai food experience, to the amazing infinity pool overlooking the ocean, to the staff at every restaurant knowing our names.

It was all so perfect that we didn't even step out of the property despite making all sorts of plans. Definitely the best resort for couples, in all of Phuket. One slightly negative point (only slightly) was that the lights could be a bit brighter at the pool area during the evenings. But all in all, we will be back :)

Room Tip: Ocean View Villas are amazing and you could possibly choose the latter ones (15-17-19) for the absol...
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Pavilions as part of our stay in Phuket. Overall, not a bad place to stay but by no means a 4-5 stars hotels service and not a great value for money in my opinion.

The rooms definitely need a renovation and some more attention to details is needed. A shame as the food is definitely the best we had in Thailand and the location - 10 minutes from the Laguna Golf Club and 20mins to airport - together with the sea view are great.

Below is a more detailed review:

The positives:

- Food: We stayed at many luxury resorts in Phuket and the food at The Pavilions was top notch. The breakfast (a combination of made-to-order dishes and buffet) offers a variety of great quality dishes such as the homemade muesli or the fresh bread and juices. I would also strongly recommend to try the dinner menu. We had both western and Thai style meals there and both were executed to perfection and tasted great. Hats off to the chef !

- Room size: The rooms are very spacious and the layout is smartly thought. The living room has a nice TV area with a big couch shaped like a bed and a sizeable TV screen. Makes it very cozy to lounge around the villa. The bathroom is also very spacious.

The negatives:

- Cleanliness: Beach towels had black stains, bed sheets had both stains and holes, bathtub had hair, walls were worn out and had stains both in the living room and bathroom, bathroom tooth glass had tooth paste from (I guess) previous customers, in-room wine glasses had lipsticks marks etc

- Funicular: As you may know, the access from your room to the so-called waiting area where buggies will pick you up is via a funicular. In order for the funicular to work, all access doors need to be closed at each floor. What happens in practice is that some customers get off the funicular, forget to close the door behind them and then the funicular is stopped at their floorand nobody else can use it. It happened 5 times in 3 days.

- Guest relationship Manager: Simona sort of acts as a a bridge between guests and the GM. At first, the idea sounds great. However, I must say that Simona is definitely not the right fit for the job. She is loud, sounds quite insincere tbh and will stop at each table while guests are having breakfast to get some feedback. Needless to say that not only would I rather enjoy some time with my partner during breakfast than having a debrief with her, but also, I do not care to hear about all the other guests issues such as nasty bathroom smell.

- Spa : It is definitely a plus to have the spa room in your villa. The quality of the massage was average at best to Thai standards. Way too much oil was used, and the therapist wasn't strong enough. On the plus side though, therapists improved for the second massage after we gave them feedback.

- Check-out: Took about 15 minutes and 3 people since (i) the card machine didn't work (ii) once it finally worked, staff realized that invoice and check-our summary were printed on scrap paper which had some internal sales figures at the back.

Room Tip: Stayed in a Pool & Spa Villa but would recommend the Ocean View Villa for the sea view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
JCNager, General Manager at The Pavilions Phuket, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Reader,

We appreciate the feedback from the above guests, taking into consideration that personal perceptions are of course very subjective, and are delighted to read how much they enjoyed their culinary experience and the in villa facilities at The Pavilions.
Since we appreciate the importance of offering a quality product with physical facilities to match, we are currently in the process of renovating our Ocean View and Tropical Pool Villas, to add a new dimension of space and comfort to our Romance Destination.

We were concerned to read about the remarks about cleanliness and, while we could not trace back the specific issues mentioned, we have reviewed the guests’ comments with our housekeeping team to prevent any related incidents.

We value our guests’ privacy and pride ourselves in providing a luxury retreat where utmost emphasis is put on our guests’ individual needs. We like to take the opportunity during breakfast time to interact with our guests, not only to retrieve feedback on their wellbeing, but also to assist them in creating tailor made experiences and address any issues that may have arisen during their stay. As such the vast majority of our guests value that even Senior Management, and in particular our Resident Manager Simona, take the time to speak with our guests in the morning and assist them in planning activities for their upcoming day. We regret to read that these particular guests did not welcome this daily interaction, but feel the manner in which their personal judgment has been expressed to be inappropriate.

Our in villa Spa treatments are amongst the most treasured moments by our guests and represent an inherent part of the Pavilions experience. We are always grateful when guest share their personal feedback and pleased to read that our therapists were able to address them in a constructive manner.

Finally, we would like to apologize for any delay experienced by these guests upon departure. While technical defaults as the one described may occur, it is of course our priority to promptly address them to minimize any related discomfort for our guests.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and i went on a honeymoon to Thailand and one of the stops was in Phuket. We stayed here and it was amazing. The staff was so great and grounds were gorgeous. And of course the private pool was so nice.

The one thing i would say is that they don't have nice beach grounds. I went when the weather was not amazing the beach was empty. But otherwise my stay there was amazing. I would def go back again!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Pavilions Phuket? Share your experiences!