“Great hotel very relaxed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort to your Saves list
Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   323 Moo 2, Srisoonthorn Road, Choeng Thale, Phuket 83110, Thailand (Formerly Laguna Beach Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Up to 30% off Best Rates
Ranked #6 of 16 hotels in Choeng Thale
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great hotel very relaxed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This hotel provided a great location to unwind and relax with the children. The rooms are well equipped if not a tad small for a family. The pool area provides a nice spot for the kids to play but also for the rest of the family to relax. My daughter became completely obsessed with the baby elephant that visits the pool daily. The downsides, the restaurants were typical sterile international hotel, Tom Yam Goong on the beach next to the hotel was knocked down by the government while we were there, limiting our options. Both my children experienced collisions whilst on the water slide. The life guards are very relaxed and do not check that the slide is clear before sending down the next group. Every day I saw children coming off the slide in tears after being hit by an adult.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

333 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reigate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

After 2 weeks at the Outrigger I felt I should write to confirm how absolutely wonderful this place is in every way,the staff are beautiful,respectful,helpful and just lovely,the breakfast buffet is out of this world,there were 9 of us and I can honestly say that I didn't hear a single complaint about any of it…the fruit juice,pastries, bread, cereal choices,the eggs,bacon,fruits,yoghurts ,cheeses,noodles,Thai food etc etc were exceptional.
The rooms are cleaned thoroughly every day as are all of the walls and paintwork round he hotel..the rooms are dressed during the day and then set ready for bed too.Beds are extremely comfy.Absolutely gorgeous.
Candy the elephant is a welcome sight every morning and evening and the buzz happens when she arrives,she is a very well trained happy elephant,a tip goes down well as do bananas and sweetcorn husks ( there is a sweetcorn lady who comes to the beach selling them, they are good.)
The Active team are extremely friendly and the water slide was a big hit with us all,we range from 3-47 years,the sea and beach were amazing as were the beach restaurants before they were demolished due to the Thai government but i think we were lucky to have had them even for a week of our stay as the hotel restaurant wasn't anywhere near as good value for money.
The local Tesco , a short taxi ride away, is a must if you drink lots of beer as we paid the price of one can at Outrigger for 6 ,so was well worth it,and the maid got us a big ice box so happy days.Also the market next to Tescos was an experience ,from 4-7 every Monday and Thursday.
We loved the Tut Tut rides too and the local town restaurants, all in all we just had a fantastic time at the Outrigger

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
west midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Hello

I travelled to this hotel with my daughter who is 6. It was a lovely hotel and I will in due course mention the kids club as there was precious little about it that I could find before I went.

this Hotel is located in the Laguna complex - this is a vast sprawling site with numerous hotels ( very widley spread ) which occupies the site of an old mine. where there was open cast mining there are now huge lakes which provide water sports and which are right next to the beach. the hotels are so far apart that there is a free transport system that runs until 11 pm that operates between the hotels and the shopping village. The whole site is about 25 minutes to 30 minutes from the airport.

Its a minor grumble but the Laguna complex does give a feel of being a bit isolated in that there is nothing on site which isnt 'Laguna'. That said you can get a free shuttle bus to the edge of the site and then walk to a variety of shops and restaurants. It is also worth mentioning that you reception were very helpful and would book you a restaurant for you and all the local restaurants will then come an collect you in a mini bus. The Lotus is to be recommended.

The Outrigger its self is alarge Hotel but didn’t feel crowded at all. Reception has a vast modern oriental feel and you are greeted with a drink and refreshing towel. Check in was very personal and the staff sit with you and talk you through the hotel and its facilities then escort you to your room.

I upgraded to a Club room after reading some of reviews on this site and I negotiated a really good deal – in fact I got it down to a fifth of the upgrade price. This meant a sea view, a slightly bigger room and access to the ‘The Club’ which was an executive lounge where you could have a silver service breakfast, free tea and coffee all day, sandwiches, cakes and snacks at lunch time, free wine for a hour in the evening and a chefs menu. For me it was a good move as the hotel is too remote ( ie you need to get a shuttle bus ) to any other food outlet other than those on the hotel grounds and as we were only B&B it meant I didn’t have to pay for soft drinks and lunch. The food incidentally was spectacular and the macaroons were to die for. The Club also meant that Breakfast was a luxurious affair in that it wasn’t as buffet as the usual breakfast with a waitress service. All in all The Club gave our stay a very swish feel.

I must mention in relation to food what is happening on the beach. In other reviews there are mention of local restaurants on the beach ……. They have gone ! The new military regime has decreed that all beach properties and establishments must be demolished and this was going on whilst we were there – I must confess it did make the beach front very untidy looking and I have attached pictures of this – its not the hotel’s fault and in time the beach will look lovely but it does mean no local restaurants.

Our room was spacious and I have attached pictures – there was a large bed with scrumptious pillows. There was also a day bed which was made up for my daughter and was perfect for a child but would have been too short for an adult.

I couldn’t fault room service and the hotel staff in general – every one couldn’t do enough to help and in particular they were very very sweet to my daughter.

The grounds were large and there was always sun loungers – there were nice touches like waiters brining free iced water throughout the day. Again the pools were large and split over two levels. The lower pool has a water slide which the children loved, especially as the hotel provided plastic mats so you could slide quicker. Despite there being a good number of children it wasn’t noisey and reading by the pool was not disturbed.

Special mention should be made of Candy the hotel elephant. He came twice a day and was very affectionate and friendly with the children. He played foot ball, spirted water and took as many bananas as the children could feed him.

My daughter also had a scuba diving lesson with Chris from the on site dive school – he was remarkably patient and kind with her.

The food couldn’t be faulted save for the Asian buffet which was on weekday nights for a mixed fee. Whilst the food was good the choice was limited. Overall the food was excellent.

The kids club was free although certain activities attracted a small fee. The facilites were lovely and contained in a dedicated room. The outside play area was slightly damaged ( see photo ) but on the day we left the kids club was moved to allow a complete refurbishment so I imagine this play area was fixed. The Staff seemed to genuinely care about the children and a variety of languages were spoken. I didn’t attend by my daughter loved it so that’s probably the best testament. There was a varied schedule of activities throughout the week.

The beach was ok. There were signs of erosion problems and there were no sun loungers as the sea was too rough it being rainy season. Behind the beach was one of the lakes and with a variety of free water sports including kayaking and sailing. For an extra fee there were jet skis.

Finally the spa – heavenly. Located in a separate area to the hotel it was stunning with the treatment rooms being located in separate little huts with outside veranda where you sit an relax with tea afterwards. My only niggling complaint is that on the opposite side of the lake from the hotel they are building a new complex ( you cannot hear anything ) but it doe detract from the notion of sitting in tranquillity after your treatment.

There were also onsite sports facilities such a archery and squash with very respectable changing rooms. The actual games room had a pool table and a play station – it was a bit of a let down.

Overall its hard to fault this hotel. It was spotless and well thought out . For me (and it is an entirely personal preference I found the hotel just a little too remote and detracted from the rest of Thailand ).

Finally a word on the shopping village – a few expensive shops and entirely deserted although the little ferry to get there and that operated for free around the lakes was a nice trip………

Room Tip: negotiate an up grade to a club room upon checking in
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

After staying in the villa for 4 nights with friends, my husband and I spent 7 nights by ourselves in the resort. Accommodations for transferring from the villa to the resort were very simple. Our room was beautiful and overlooked the lagoon. We had a patio table and chairs as well as a lounge chair to enjoy outside our room. The room was spacious and comfortable, with great movie channels on the tv. We enjoyed the standup paddle boarding on the lagoon at no additional cost. We were there during rainy season, so the waves were incredibly rough. We were able to walk the coastline towards other resorts and found some spots in the ocean we could swim in without strong waves. There is a place that offers surf lessons on down the beach about a five minute walk. This really wasn't a problem because there were 2 choices of swimming pools to swim in. Pitchers of cold ice water are available at anytime near the swimming pools. We absolutely loved seeing Candy the baby elephant each day. We could feed her bananas, listen to her "talk", take some cute photos, and get kissed by her all for free. This was fun for all ages! The resort has several restaurants to choose from, all at a higher cost but with delicious food. We enjoyed the Pasta Buffet Night at one of the resort restaurants. The breakfast buffet was decadent, but cost around 900 baht per person. We found out about a local seafood restaurant nearby (beachfront), called Lotus, that had a free shuttle to pick us up from the resort, take us to the restaurant, and then return us to the resort. This was a great non-resort option. You pick out your seafood by the kilo. The cheesy lobster was our favorite! Overall the resort was wonderful. We definitely felt isolated, but this was not an issue as we were seeking solitude and rest. Impeccable service, beautiful facilities, and a great place to relax.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Not going to write an overly long review. But we like to thank all of the Hotels Management & Staff for the wonderful time we had there! from the moment we arrived we felt very well looked after and lot of friendly and helpful staff included. While it's true that our room was a bit distant but it was more than acceptable to have the short walk ,after all it has some pretty nice premises too :-) We have tried the food in different locations within the Resort and it was always a true 5 star experience . Really excellent and well presented. You could really taste that good quality ingridients are being used in making of the food. We also noted that this is one of the very few hotels that actually seems to offer great local products too. Which underlines the rightful given name of the Locavore Restaurant. Too many great foods to name although we both fell in love with the french soft cheeses offered ( apparently also made locally !!! ) . A good day starts with a good breakfast and these were great starts into the days we were there . Again awesome food and fresh & tasty.

Rooms were clean and really nice appointed , beautiful furniture .
The beach was sure a beauty although we knew it was rainy season and thus sometimes it was a bit windy or had some stronger waves. still it was very enjoyable .

We can highly recommend the outrigger laguna beach resort and plan to return , hopefully soon again .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Warm and friendly welcome. Beautiful surroundings on the way to your room. The rooms are spacious with a day bed and balcony overlooking the lagoon. Huge variety of food available for breakfast, including fresh honey from a honeycomb. A free shuttle service to Canal Village where you can find some ships, supermarket, foreign exchange and 2 restaurants. Situated 30 mins from Patong, 25 mins to the airport. Taxis are available at the resort for 700 Tbt one way

Room Tip: Ask for a room not close to the lifts or stairs
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Tony P, General Manager at Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Chantilli 16,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and would like to thank-you for the very kind feedback. I was happy that you received a warm Thai welcome and liked the room and also that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. Thank-You also for mentioning the Laguna shuttle service which provides free transportation by road or by ferry boat within the Laguna resort area.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort again in the near future and until then
Many thanks again and very best regards
Tony Pedroni
Bergen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here last summer. This holiday rates the best I have ever had. We stayed in a 2- bedroom apartment, myself, my wife and our two kids. Wow! The standard of the apartment is fantastic! The size is hugh, with a big living room, big bedrooms, and very delicate furnishing. We had the time of our life and the value for money is fantastic. We stayed on the fifth floor offering great views of the laguna area from the big terrace. Most of the apartment is just open glass, giving an amazing feeling. This is a full 5* standard.

There is also a great offer of services available. Starting with the kids club located just outside the pool and next to the restaurant, this is the best kids club I have ever experienced. They are great with kids, and we were blown away with how they got along with our kids who did not speak much English at the time. Especially a big thanks to Nikki! The kids used the club a lot theoughout the days, just running in and out from the pool and when waiting for food at the restaurant.

Breakfast was nice with good choice. Dinner even better. When the kids ordered pizza they would allow the kids to make it themselves. How much they loved it!

The gym is very good - also with a fantastic location. We also used the tourdesk a bit both doing and elephante ride and boat trip. Also make sure to go to the night market in Phuket. A nice and traditional Thai experience.

We will definetly be back and next time we are thinking about staying in a Pool villa. Can not wait for it!

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!