My family and I spent 11 nights at the Outrigger, together with another family. In total 5 children (aged 12 – 6) plus 5 adults.
Upon arrival the staff were attentive and greeted us with cold drinks and towels and after filling in the paper work for about 10 minutes we were escorted off to our rooms. Which was a great effort considering it was about 9.30 in the morning. Early check in and late checkouts were no hassle for these guys at all.
The rooms were relatively spacious, modern and very clean. Although having stayed in a Villa twelve months ago in Fiji not having the extra lounge room space to sit down and relax in the evening was really missed. Not the hotels fault but I’d definitely look at the Villa for a larger family on an extended stay.
Now the attraction for us to this resort was two fold. It’s proximity to the beach, it has it’s own private beach and the pools, one has it’s own water slide.
The kids loved the water slide and it kept them entertained for hours and I mean hours. The stand out here though was one of the hotels staff, a young guy called Golf. He worked around the pool but spent so much time playing with the kids it was incredible. He would literally let them ride him down the slide and play games with them in the pool nearly every day. I think they looked forward to playing with Golf more than playing in the pool or on the slide. Now I’m not sure if he has been placed there strategically to keep the kids entertained or if he is just an outstanding person. But when the kids were happy, the adults were happy and that resulted in increased bar profits. A message to the hotel management, this guy is a star.
Now the beach, if you have looked at the hotels web site you will see beautiful pictures of a lovely beach with pure white sand. It has deck chairs running the length of the resort and an expansive area of beach between the resort and the ocean. In reality it’s very different. There isn’t room to sit on the beach, the sand is far from the pure white as is depicted, and the erosion significant with a large drop off from the resort to the beach. Now I understand marketing, but seriously either this picture was taken many, many years ago or it has been touched up. Unfortunately it’s really misleading.
To keep the kids entertained there is also archery, tennis, golf driving range (net) basketball, pool table, video games, squash court and badminton courts. So there’s plenty to do. Don’t forget Candy the elephant the kids loved the visits, feeding her and the showers.
There are only two restaurants in my view, Locavore and Metzo's Bistro. The Edgewater was nice and easy for lunch by the pool. Locavore is the place to go for breakfast and dinner and the quality and service provided for both sittings was exceptional. Metzo’s to be a blunt was a disgrace. We had two serves of lasagne that we frozen and when returned to us they were popped into the microwave and brought back out, yes the same serve. We had incorrect orders and the service was just poor.
I’m not sure if it was coincidence or not but by 3.00am the next morning my wife was really ill. I phoned reception they had a car waiting for us and took us to the doctors (only 3 minutes drive from the hotel). A little over 24 hours later she was back to normal. Again the hotel staff were fantastic and couldn’t have been more helpful. The restraint manager also met us the next morning who could only really apologise for the Metzo’s experience. To his credit we didn’t end up paying for the experience.
There is a large lake that links the Laguna resorts and they run a free boat service every 20 minutes or so that will take you from resort to resort. It’s a fun way to travel for the kids; you can see other resorts in the Laguna complex or dine at other restaurants. The lake also offers water sports but you would be a braver man than I to jump in there.
Overall the staff really made the stay pleasurable but would I go back again???
P.S If your into your golf Red Canyon is a must, but take plenty of balls.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located between a tropical lagoon and the sparkling waters of the Andaman Sea, the property features the finest in accommodation – all completely renovated with modern interiors subtly blended with contemporary Thai touches.The resort occupies a prime position on the famed Bangtao beach where white sand and calm, clear waters combine to create an idyllic tropical setting. The absolute beachfront location provides easy access to beach activities for families and couples alike.For guests seeking a more personalized experience, the resort now boasts a dedicated Club floor (the only such facility in the area). Club floor guests will enjoy a private breakfast venue, snacks and drinks throughout the day and themed cocktail events in the evening.All guests also enjoy access to the Banyan Tree and Angsana Day Spas, championship 18 hole golf course, wedding chapel, and signing privileges at over 30 restaurants and bars that form part of the Laguna Destination Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Tingo, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel and Venere so you can book your Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Laguna Beach Hotel Thalang
- Laguna Beach Thalang
- Laguna Beach Phuket
- Laguna Beach Resort Phuket
- Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort Thailand