“Too commercialised, too big” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Angsana Laguna Phuket

You added Angsana Laguna Phuket to your Saves list
Angsana Laguna Phuket
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   10 Moo 4 Srisoonthorn Road, Choeng Thale, Phuket 83110, Thailand (Formerly Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket)   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Choeng Thale
Colchester
“Too commercialised, too big”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed here for 10 days, probably 7 days too long. If you are staying longer, you would find very little variety in the breakfast or facilities as they are repeated exactly. So we had them twice over.
The staff are at reception are more concerned about how much it would cost you to be of service. My son was unwell during our stay. We enquirer about going to the hospital. First we had difficulty getting understood despite them advertising they speak English so we spoke to the assistant manager. Again the emphasis was not about the urgency of helping me but tat they will find out how much it would cost to take us ther. The cost - 1000 baths one way.
When we attempt to check out, the reception cannot locate the credit card slip or my folder. They can't understand why I would be concerned that my details could be wrongly given to someone else ( the details are not encrypted on the slips as I had seen my father in laws slip)
You can defitely assume that I will not be returning here.
They close restaurants without informing you. I walked from one end of the hotel ( the grande rooms) to Marketplace restaurant to find it closed. When I mentioned this, they said they hope I re-visit the next night. We did and it was closed again! No notice no prior warning whatsoever.
If there is a function there, you will be treated as second class even though you pay first class rate!
One night, our room was flooded from a leak from the air conditioning. It was gushing with water. Again no mention of the inconvenience, no apologies for the disturbance at 3am.
All in all a very poor quality service. It really is a pity as the hotel has a good setting but the staff definitely need training to a five star quality.

Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I spent 4 nights with my spouse and 2 kids (4 and 8 years old) here. My kids loved it so much. There are different kinds of swimming pool including a kids pool and a sand pool with a "canal" (more than 300 meters I guess). Breakfast is excellent especially the coffee bar. Kids Club is one of the best attractions. A baby elephant visits twice per day and plays with children. Various kids programs are arranged daily from 10:00a.m. to 6:00p.m. It's perfect for the couples to escape from the energetic kids and enjoy the relaxing massage or sun-tanning. For adults, I recommended the lagoon kayaking. The kayaking is specially designed that it is hard to make it upside down. Even my 8 year old son, be the first time, could manage it and rowed for 1.5 hours. The Bang Tao beach, just nearby, is perfect with white and fine sand and is a romantic place to watch the sun set. Several restaurants there provide thai food with reasonable price. For the location, it is a bit far away from the Town. So if you want an exciting journey with clubbing, it may not be your cup of tea. If you want a relaxing holiday, it is your choice you won't regret.

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Recently stayed at the resort for a family vacation with 3 generation of family members. We had a very good time, and was impressed by the hotel. Some highlights: Room is large and comfortable, service staff are very friendly, swimming pool is excellent, kids club is good, and the daily elephant visiting is amazing. My kid loved the elephant (whose name is Lucky) so much.

The beach is great too. The ferry boat ride around the lake ride was a pleasant experience. I even has an Yoga class. For the price we paid, we are very happy. You can also find restaurants on the beachfront next to the resort, which certainly can save you money comparing eating in the resort. Amazingly the hotel seems to be happy to allow the low-priced services around it, such as tour services, laundry etc.

A couple of not so good experiences: 1. Some of the low cost restaurants on the beachfront are really not great, in terms of taste and services. 2. going to the Laguna Gate and Patong Beach is not convenient. The hotel shuttle services is quite expensive. The best way to do if you plan to go to Patong, is probably take the free shuttle to Laguna Gate, and then find a taxi service there.

Have been to Phuket 4 times, and overall this is one of the best family vacation resorts I have experienced.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed at one of the Villas at this resort as it was a family reunion /get together.
It was a 4 bed villa with a private pool and I couldnt fault it at all - it was really wonderful and guest services could not do enough for us . It was our second visit to this place as first time around it was the Sheraton and now it changed hands to the ANgsana Laguna.
We loved the choice of venues for breakfast and the cocktails in the lobby bar at night .The beach was beautiful and we loved the cute elephant playing in the sea .
We also like that we could eat on the beach itself and not be tied to the hotel ,
Very central location too as we ate in Laguna town ( try Tatonka restaurant its FAB) . Lots to do -Golf/parasailing /tennis /kids club etc . We would definitely go back

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

My, my wife and two daughters (8 and 5) just got back from a 4-night holiday at the Angsana Laguna Phuket. It is our 3 trip to Phuket but our first in the Laguna Resort area. We were very pleased with this resort. The pool was nice and relaxing and you could easily get a chair without getting up early and laying claim to them. It had a "lazy river" feel so we bought a cheap raft from a shop on the beach which made floating down the river nice. The kid's club for us was perfect. The staff were friendly and they had nice little activities planned and nice facilities. A Spanish lady named Emma was really really kind and attentive. The breakfast buffet was really good and the daily stop by the baby elephant was a treat for the kids. We stayed in the Laguna Premier Room and it was a perfect size for our family of 4. The location of our room was between the Pool and the Beach and directly above where breakfast was served. We found this to be perfect.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Laguna Premier Room (2370) and it was a perfect size for our family of 4. The loca...
Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I try and go to Phuket every year and stay at different hotels. This is my second time staying in Laguna and i decided to give Angsana a try since from the looks of it, it seems like a very kid-friendly hotel. I travelled with my 2 year old son who immensely enjoyed the pool and the elephant that comes by every morning.

I was a bit unsure after reading some of the reviews here, but i am glad that everything turned out fine. Rooms were fine, staff was friendly and facilities were great (although pity some of the outlets were not open yet when i was there).

Getting a taxi was a little tricky cos if u want a cheaper option you would need to take the free shuttle out to the main entrance. But no issue with that..it was fairly easy.

I think the beach is one of the best in Phuket and the pool is great. Food was ok but i expected better, but anyway, there are a lot of good restaurants around Phuket.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I have been Sheration resort more than 3 -4 times and the service is very good with very friendly staff. However, it was my first time to visit the same hotel under different management. lets see what I saw during my visiting in this year
1)Pool sevice
No towel supply service at 5:00pm. I saw many Guests are trying to find the Towel after 5:00pm(including me). No one is there all the time and we need to find the towel by openning the small house and grap it on our own. It should not be happened in 5 star
hotels.

2)Cleaness
I saw 3 cups of coffee stayed at the corriders more than half days outside my room from somebody. No one take care of it and I am sure most of staff should walk thru it. How Come it happen. For more details, I am staying in 3359 between 04/06-09.

3)Unfriendly staff
I am trying to book the Taxi to Patong and i think the price is high. Therefore, I ask the staff to help but they did not do anything to me and explain why and say it is what it is with unfriendly attuitude.

4)Pool bar
2 guards in the bar who served us is very unfriendly. I am not saying they did something wrong but My previous experiences in this bar was not like this. Not enough bar or restaurant staff to serve us and I sit for a while but no one take care of us .

I had a very good experience in Sheration resort but now it completedly change what I feel with Angasana group management.

I hope they will improve it or else I may not stay there again

Lee

Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Been to Angsana Laguna Phuket? Share your experiences!