“Good hotel, but could have been anywhere...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket

Save Saved
You added Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket to your Saves list
Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   390 Moo 1, Srisoonthorn Road | Cherngtalay, Talang, Choeng Thale, Phuket 83110, Thailand   |
Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Choeng Thale
Reading
“Good hotel, but could have been anywhere...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

On arrival at the hotel, I was disappointed that we were not able to check in straight away, I appreciate they have to make rooms up etc, however it would have been good for the check in staff to advise us of a) how we could freshen up b) advise of places we could go for lunch/ get refreshments etc. Luckily I had done some research before hand, so we walked to the beach and walked towards Lotus bar for some drinks and food. We felt like we had wasted a day waiting to check into our room, however this is a problem that I have with our travel agents, who could have maybe pushed for an early check in. I had read that the rooms facing the laguna have a funny damp smell, so when we were eventually shown to our room, there was a smell, and I insisted that we had a new room. I would say that the staff were aware of the problem and were more than happy to change our room. The second room was better (original room was on ground floor facing laguna) the second room was on the first floor, and whilst there was still a smell it was a lot better. I opened the doors and let some fresh air in to make it smell better. I think another reason for the damp smell is because of the shower leaking water through the door on to the main floor and not having great draining solutions for this. However with a bit of DIY with the bath towel, we were able to stop the floors from getting soaking wet, hence smelling. I am surprised by some of the comments that say that the rooms are dated, I found the room to be very good standard and did not find them dated at all.

The service at the hotel was very good, and attentive.

I would say that the hotel is expensive for food and drinks. I felt that the menus were misleading, showing a price, and then at the bottom of the menus stating that 10% would be added for service and 7% for government tax. The bills then had the option of adding another tip. I felt that this was a bit cheeky, especially as other hotels in Thailand did not provide this option. I felt guilty for not giving an additional tip, but a basic lunch of salad and a sandwich for two people has cost nearly £50!

It is definitely worth trying Lotus or the other independent restaurants for food, plus it is a lot cheaper.

We did the elephant trek available at the Laguna resort for 30 minutes. I was really excited to do this, based on previous elephant treks I had done in the past. However I was very disappointed by this experience. We were not provided with any explanation of what was happening, the elephants name, where we were going and what we were going to do. Such ashame... on reflection we should have done the day's excursion outside of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

813 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Stockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was our 5th stay at The Dusit being one of the many guests who return every year. During our 4 week stay, my wife was taken ill with a potentially life threatening condition and was admitted into the very efficent and modern Phuket International Hospital.
During her stay the management and all the employees that we normally come into contact on a daily basis never failed to enquire about her condition and showed great concern, This included Peter Komposch, the general manager and Natalie Kamolwattanasoontorne, the resident manager, front of house, concierges, porters, waiting and room servicing employees.
Three beautiful bouquets of flowers were delivered to the room being arranged by employees and hotel management. During my wife’s recovery we were allowed exclusive use of one of the hotel’s wheelchairs – a real benefit because walking became very difficult.
The concierges arranged for the airline to have wheelchair assistance available during our journey home.
The treatment we received form everyone at The Dusit was a credit to the friendliness of the Thai people who showed real concern about the condition of my wife and the professionalism of the hotel management who all played a part in making the stay for us both enjoyable despite the sudden illness of my wife.
We plan to return in 2014 for another wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: Enquire about the rooms that have been refurbished in the last few years.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
the villages, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Our weeklong stay ends tomorrow & we wish we had another day or two! We chose a beach front Dusit Club room (room 104) and love the more private location near the north end of the hotel. The Club (concierge) amenities are very nice & worth the up charge in our opinion. The included breakfast (until 11am which is wonderful so we could spend most of our morning paddling around in the sea) is one of the most extensive and varied we've ever experienced - anything from dim sum to frozen yoghurt to sushi to cooked to order eggs. Cocktail hour from 6 to 7 is another included perk & the service & location are wonderful. Our room was lovely & very peaceful & quiet and the staff was very gracious and responsive to our requests.

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This year marked our 25th visit to this Wonderful Hotel. We have been going every Dec/Jan for the past 25 years.
The location is wonderful, Peaceful,and relaxing.The 4 restaurants are all Excellent..and the Italian would be a Top Restaurant if it was in London. The staff at this Hotel are the finest in any Hotel we have ever stayed in. The manager Mr Peter can be seen walking around the Hotel during the day and speaking with guests to see everyone is enjoying their stay.
I have recommended many people to the hotel and they have become returning guests. This hotel has the largest percentage
returning guests on the Island. 12 of us from all over the world who have become friends over the years meet up every Dec..and I hope I will be going to this Hotel for my Xmax holiday for many more years to come.
If you get the chance stay there...It's Great ...
Irving Becker

Stayed December 2012
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as our friends got married at the Laguna Chapel and then had their reception at the Dusit Thani.
Our room was lovely and looked out over the pond/lake area.
The pool was fantastic, staff were lovely, breakfast was great.
We loved that we could get massages near the beach for a very cheap price.
The resort grounds are gorgeous.

The wedding reception venue was right on the beach, great location and we all had a great night.
If you want a place to relax and not do much at all, the Laguna complex and this resort seems to be a great place to go.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DTLPthailand, General Manager at Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket Guests,

Sawadee Krup and greetings from Phuket. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your recent visit for the wedding of your friends celebrated in Laguna Phuket.

Wishing you all the best for the rest of the year.

Best regards,

Mr. Peter Komposch
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

I am in this hotel right now.. If you have ever experienced luxury do NOT come here. It is an old, badly maintained hotel. The rooms are small and old and bad decoration. I am supposed tobe ocean front, can only see the sea from behind the trees andback of restaurant and the smelling kitchen. Of course the thai people are very nice and you have the beach right in front which makes your stay less painful. Though beach beds are worst plastic!!! I have been to banyan tree, if you like luxury go to banyan tree same price and another world real asian magic there....maybe less comfortable with smallchildren. Anyway do not come to dusit thani if you have been to a five star hotel because delusion is guaranteed.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket Guests,

I am sorry to read your trip advisor listing. Please contact me via the reception desk to arrange another room.

Best regards,

Mr. Peter Komposch
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for our wedding 25th Jan- 5th Feb. Overall we enjoyed our stay, the staff were lovely and attentive and our wedding recption amazing. However we were initially disappointed with our room. We booked a deluxe lagoon view and when we arrived found out we had been upgraded to a sea view. Getting to the room we were on the ground floor and we could only just see the sea as there were trees in the way. I think we would have prefered a higher level lagoon room. We decided we would upgrade our room half way through our stay to a club which they did discount a little but still cost us an extra £120 per night on top of what we had already paid. The showers in the room I must say were fantastic and staff replaced all amenities when ever we used them.

Our wedding at the Casuarina resturant was completely fantastic and all guests comented on the quality of food, The staff couldnt do another for us, and met with us several times before to make sure we were happy with things. They even went out of their way to find chair ribbon to match in with our colour scheme.

The only thing I think the hotel could of done better was to offer breakfast in your room the morning after the wedding. We did have our breakfast but were charged to do so.

Our guests all stayed at the Angsanna which we seemed to spend most of our time, this is a more modern hotel, 2 of the party had a free upgrade in this hotel to a suit with no extra charge which made us feel a little robbed having to pay £120 a night extra. If you want more traditional the Dusit, although a bit worn is better. If the Dusit wants to compete with the newly refurbished Angsana and the Laguna Beach Resort they will have to think about updating soon.

Overall we were happy, our Wedding which is what we went for was our highlight. But would I stay here again? Probably not, I think he Angsana and Laguna Beach Resort are better value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket? Share your experiences!