On arrival at the hotel, I was disappointed that we were not able to check in straight away, I appreciate they have to make rooms up etc, however it would have been good for the check in staff to advise us of a) how we could freshen up b) advise of places we could go for lunch/ get refreshments etc. Luckily I had done some research before hand, so we walked to the beach and walked towards Lotus bar for some drinks and food. We felt like we had wasted a day waiting to check into our room, however this is a problem that I have with our travel agents, who could have maybe pushed for an early check in. I had read that the rooms facing the laguna have a funny damp smell, so when we were eventually shown to our room, there was a smell, and I insisted that we had a new room. I would say that the staff were aware of the problem and were more than happy to change our room. The second room was better (original room was on ground floor facing laguna) the second room was on the first floor, and whilst there was still a smell it was a lot better. I opened the doors and let some fresh air in to make it smell better. I think another reason for the damp smell is because of the shower leaking water through the door on to the main floor and not having great draining solutions for this. However with a bit of DIY with the bath towel, we were able to stop the floors from getting soaking wet, hence smelling. I am surprised by some of the comments that say that the rooms are dated, I found the room to be very good standard and did not find them dated at all.
The service at the hotel was very good, and attentive.
I would say that the hotel is expensive for food and drinks. I felt that the menus were misleading, showing a price, and then at the bottom of the menus stating that 10% would be added for service and 7% for government tax. The bills then had the option of adding another tip. I felt that this was a bit cheeky, especially as other hotels in Thailand did not provide this option. I felt guilty for not giving an additional tip, but a basic lunch of salad and a sandwich for two people has cost nearly £50!
It is definitely worth trying Lotus or the other independent restaurants for food, plus it is a lot cheaper.
We did the elephant trek available at the Laguna resort for 30 minutes. I was really excited to do this, based on previous elephant treks I had done in the past. However I was very disappointed by this experience. We were not provided with any explanation of what was happening, the elephants name, where we were going and what we were going to do. Such ashame... on reflection we should have done the day's excursion outside of the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A truly striking beachfront location resort with excellent facilities and charming Thai service and hospitality, add up to a unique holiday experience. It is about 20km or a 30-minutes drive south of Phuket International Airport, half an hour north of Patong Beach and half an hour east of Phuket city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, Splendia, Cheap Tickets, Asiatravel.com Holdings, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com and Tingo so you can book your Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket Hotel Thalang
- Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket Cherngtalay
- Dusit Laguna Phuket
- Dusit Phuket
- Phuket Dusit
- Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket Thailand