“Always go in Thailand to the crowed restaurants..” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Thai, International, Pizza & Pasta
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Phuket, Thailand
“Always go in Thailand to the crowed restaurants..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

And this is one of those 'packed' restaurants, that is probably full every night. I have seen this restaurant only very crowded, so that means a thing in Thailand. I have seen some of the reviews below, but I slightly disagree with these comments. The food that I had a couple of days ago and as well today, was very, very good. I especially really like the salads that they have, which are absolute great value for the money. The prices are not high and you will get an enormous salad for that money. Even the soups I had were very nice. The staff is nice, friendly, are pro active and speak good english, which I have seen as well different in many places here in Phuket. They have as well a separate lunch menu, where the dishes are bit smaller, but as well lower in price. It's more a Thai restaurant then it is a french restaurant, so you have to like that. But to go to a local place with good food and not too pricy, this restaurant is worth a visit.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
“Not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I wrote a review some time ago. The owner responded very aggressively and disagreed. So, just to be sure, i tried them out again, and guess what, I was not wrong. This is not a restaurant that I would recommend. There is absolutely no comparison to the neighboring Sunset restaurant in terms of service and quality of food. The worst aspect of this is that the owner glows with praise and then with any criticism, he reacts very badly. As proof, just look at all his reactions towards criticisms -- his normal suggestion, "just tell us there and then, and we will correct it".... no need, we are already telling you here....just correct it.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
philippe19672803, Owner at Black Cat, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear sir, like i've answered to your comment in the past, and never in an agressive way like you are pretending, (but you can still read it once again), it is up to you to like our place or not.
After your first comment, you have nicely decided to give us a second chance but didn't like it again.
What was the problem? i really like to know so we can try to improve. If by chance you decide to give us another chance in the future, please ask my staff to call me so we can meet and i can try to understand what was wrong and you will see that, unlike you say, i am not a guy who reacts badly or who reject any criticism. Thanks and happy new year.
“Good local good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Having read the previous reviews and the fact it was recommended at our villa, we decided to give this a try. On a main road looking fairly average from the outside but it's a huge place and quite a busy place. My wife ordered the red paneng curry and I had the chicken in cashew nuts. Service was quick, no long waits for the food as others on trip advisor had mentioned, but perhaps that's because we ordered the local thai dishes. The food was tasty. The curry dish had a kick to it which was pleasing. The cheapest meal in phuket we had had, costing less than 400bhat for the two of us excluding alcohol. Good cheap local food, better than some of the shacks on the beach front. And fantastic value for money.

Visited December 2013
Perth, Australia
“A victim of it's own popularity”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The first time I dined in Black Cat was in 2011 and it was very good. The service was warm and friendly and the waiter was good at recommending dishes. The food back then was really nice, especially the fish steamed with lemon. It was so good that we earmarked it as a "must-visit" restaurant when we return to Phuket.

We went back a few weeks ago and how things have changed. Yes, they still had the complimentary pick-up and return service from the Laguna Complex, which was really handy as the weather was pretty rainy during out visit.

But once we stepped out of the vehicle, the dissapointment begun. There was no warmth in the place which we experienced previously. It has grown so popular that we felt rushed to be seated. Then our orders were taken by a disintered guy who didn't bother to recommend or give some opinion. We ordered 3 entrees and 4 mains for the 4 of us as we were really famished and knew the food was good.

Guess what? All the 7 dishes arrived together and the waiter just plonked the food on the table without a word before rushing off to get new customers at the door seated. Besides a little bit embarassing having so much food on the table, it was super ridiculous to have entrees and mains served together and I was pretty unhappy with that, especially since this time round, my parents were with us as guests.

All in all, I would give this place a wide berth next time I am in town. It has grown arrogant due to it's popularity (I am sure Tripadvisor helped with it's popularity). Plenty of other new restaurants around to try.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
philblackcat, General Manager at Black Cat, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Sorry to learn that you've been disappointed on your last visit in our restaurant. I am not sure when it was exactly. But doesn't matter as we did a mistake by bringing all food at the same time. It happens sometimes and in most cases we just take back mains dishes to bring them back, hot again, when starters have been eaten. You don't even talk about the quality of food! How was it?
In case of problem, it is always easy to call a manager who will try to solve it. Regarding the staff who took care of you, as i also had other problems, he is not with us anymore.
As for many other places, we find it very difficult to find good staff. But please do not judge a place and call people there arrogant only because of that. Like you said, our popularity, which started long time before trip advisor, almost 18 years ago, is based on honesty, friendliness and being able to offer good value to all of our customers.
London
“Disappointing starters but good main courses”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Black Cat was on my list of restaurants to try on this visit. We booked a table and walked there rather than use the pick up service they offer.

It is a large restaurant, covered but with open sides so it has an open air feel to it.
Black Cat entrance is on a busy road so not a quiet or scenic outlook.

They have a very extensive menu of many pages which is slightly off putting. They could easily simplify the menu layout to make it easier.

The waitress gave us funny looks when we asked for certain dishes to be spicy which made us laugh.

I really like chicken satay and use it as a comparator between Thai restaurants. I like it flat and well cooked. Black Cat satay was big and chunky, more like a kebab and therefore disappointing.

The vegetable pancake rolls contained large pieces of green beans which we hadn't experienced before, different and not to my taste. The other starter was a spicy papaya salad which had a real kick and was very tasty.

Main courses were a lot better than the starters and retrieved the situation.

The Massaman curry (requested very spicy) was very good, as was the chicken penang curry (requested spicy) The chicken pad thai was one of the best we have had.

I don't like a lot of rice with my curry so not good when the large portion of rice was given to me on my plate not in a separate bowl. A minor detail perhaps, but something to differentiate the dining experience from other restaurants on this holiday. Also the beer was not ice cold and got warm a bit too quickly, perhaps we should have stuck to small bottles!

Overall, not a bad meal, very good value. I would return for the inexpensive main course and give the starters a miss next time.

• Visited December 2013