“Great friendly restaurant with lovely cosy ambience near the Laguna” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Black Cat

Cuisines: French, International, Pizza & Pasta, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dubai
“Great friendly restaurant with lovely cosy ambience near the Laguna”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We went here while staying at the Laguna. They were sweet enough to provide us with a pick-up and drop-off facility from the Angsana, saving us a considerable walk. But the good experience did not stop here.

The place is great - very cosy, quaint... in wood decor. Big screen tv's all over ensured we could watch the London games while there.

The staff is very pleasant - we got a dish that was way too spicy for our liking, and they replaced it with a new one, no extra charges,

Now the most important part - the food. They had the best red curry I have ever had... even better than what was served at the Angsana itself... and the local beer added to the experience.

This is a must visit if you are in the area... either for drinks only, or for a meal as well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Phuket, Thailand
“great family joint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

love this place, the menu is massive and it tkes ages to decide what to have but the food and service are excellent. french and thai food at fair prices this has to be one of the best places in the laguna area and has been here forever proving it has the right stuff.

Visited September 2012
Darwen
“Thai and French style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

If you want Thai food the menu is extensive and very well priced. If you fancy European for a change the chef can prepare a fabulous boeuf mignon in pepper sauce! Very popular with all nationalities!

Visited August 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Good inexpensive food and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

First, the restaurant sent a car for us as we were staying in Laguna. Then when I ordered a cocktail that I found I did not like, they cheerfully took it away and took it off the bill, and brought me a new drink. We shared a green curry, a red curry, mixed Asian veg, tamarind prawns and some other food which was all very good . The bill came to just over 800 baht. It was the cheapest meal we had in Phuket. There were quite a few patrons in the restaurant, couples and family groups and a number were French, as the translations on the menu are also in French and much of the European style food is French. At the end of the night we were returned back to our hotel at no cost. Other guests at the hotel had recommended the place highly and we now agree with them.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Karachi, Pakistan
“Substandard Food & Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife was very excited to eat here after recommendations from tripadvisor and the Banyan Tree restaurant reservations desk. Unfortunately, our experience fell well below expectations.

After we were seated, it took the waiter probably over 8-10 minutes to take even drinks orders from us, which was inexcusable given that there were probably 4 other tables being served at the same time, maximum.

To start with, my wife ordered a goat cheese salad, and i ordered calamari and a small pizza. While my wife quite liked the goat cheese salad, the calamari was rubbery, bitter, and inedible. The pizza was average - not great, but not bad. As a main course, we shared a Thai green curry with chicken, which was by far the worst thai curry i had on my 8 day trip (and i ate green curry every day). It lacked any taste aside from the overwhelming sweetness, which was even more sugary than our desserts.

For desserts, my wife had the chocolate crepe which was recommended, and i had a chocolate mousse. The crepe was not anywhere near as good as even the most mediocre crepe I've eaten, and the chocolate sauce was so sparingly used we had to ask for extra, which tasted completely different than the sauce that was already on it! The mousse, while decent in taste, was presented very poorly.

Considering many of the reviews, maybe the restaurant just had an off day, or maybe my expectations were too high (but i feel they were not). With so many great restaurants around Thalang and the Laguna area, feel free to give this one a miss.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
philblackcat, Propriétaire at Black Cat, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
I am sorry that you have been disappointed by your dinner in our place recently. As you said, we could have been on one of these "bad days", when everything is going wrong, and/or we
didn't meet your expectations. It is, unfortunatly, impossible for us to provide, with the value we offer for money, a 5 stars service. However, we, me and my whole team are always trying our best, for more than 16 years, and will continue to do that. I hope we will see you again, and please remember when something is going wrong, it is always easy to talk directly to me, so i can do my best to make you happy!