“Wow wow wow wow and wow” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 60 restaurants in Choeng Thale
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Pacific Rim, Pasta
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
“Wow wow wow wow and wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011 via mobile

Everyone has just got to visit this place! It's fantastic owner, manager, staff, food, decor, music and choice of drinks is just wow. Amazing. We went here after our wedding reception just because we fancied a change of scenery and we fell in love with the place. And the owner is lovely, very funny and looks a bit like Richard Nixon! Haha. Seriously, go!

94% Recommend
Vancouver
“Anywhere else it would fall on its face”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Here is a quick review of one of the off site restaurants we visited while staying at Twinpalms in Surin Beach.

Supper Club in Chern Talay:

We were excited to go somewhere upscale after weeks of waterfalls, beaches and exploring Thailand. I was keen to dress up a little, too. From the Trip Advisor reviews we expected a lot but left vaguely dissapointed. The restaurant is in a kind of strip mall next to a massage place and other low price restaurants. There are dogs laying in the parking area in front of the door. Once you go inside there are lots of jazz posters and dark wood, you can see they try to create a new york atmosphere, but there is no one to greet you at the door and the staff just stand there looking at you while they talk. You have to go to them for service. If you get there too early the place if full of families with kids or if you stay to late it turns in to a dj kind of bar club scene so try to be there around 8 to 9 p.m. when its most like a restaurant. Food is reasonably good, steaks and pasta kind of place but some interesting things on the menu and, of course, overpriced Thai food. Avoid the pasta; it is bland. Fish was the best thing we had. Wine list is kind of unfocused but you can find some good bottles if you look long enough. Cocktails are dissapointing unless you like your margarita sweet and your martini with cheap vodka. Not much premium anything on the bar side. Anyway, we really tried to feel sophisticated and experience the fantasy but it just did not work for us. maybe it is better for residents. It does seem to give an escape from Phuket, if that is what you want, but anywhere else in the world it would fall on its face. Sorry.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
powerPhuket, Owner at Siam Supper Club, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear Henri56,

Ouch!!

Firstly, as the owner, I personally apologize for the welcome and reception that you felt was lacking upon your arrival. Some people slip through the cracks in this regard. We do give our best shot to attend to each and every person upon entering. Sometimes things get backed up at the door and other times we just don't notice. Further if you had to call for service then there is no excuse. We were obviously off our game that night....sorry!

However, with respect, please allow me attend to your comments as listed in quotations below.

"The restaurant is in a strip mall next to a massage place and other low priced restaurants."

The Siam Supper Club is indeed in what a Vancuoverite would call a "Strip mall." In fact in Thailand they are referred to as "Shop houses." Actaully someone once described my place as an "Eatery that overlooks a parking lot!' Love it! As you correctly described, I have neighbours who are indeed "Massage places" and God forbid "Other low priced restaurants." I am not sure which of the two is is more objectionable. What I will say is that they are all great neighbours who work hard and contribute to the culture and fabric to our small community.

"There are dogs laying in the parking area in front of the door."

Indeed there are...two in fact! Bebe and Joey. There is also one that lives behind the restaurant....her name is "Blackie." They have been rescued and cared for by our various neighbours from the Soi Dog Foundation a wonderful charity established here in Phuket. They are also very much a part of the our community and live and hang in the parking area.....never inside restaurant...they never have enough money!

"If you are there too early, the place is full of families and kids."

I'm really not sure how to respond to this. Obviously early on that evening. there were some kids there. Actually, all regulars and most first time visitors are perceptive enough to bring young children early so as not to cause a Ritilan induced riot when the main body of diners arrives later. A sense of family is most important in our establishment. Please take note that some of those very same "Kids" that were here when we opened over 10 years ago, are now successfull young individuals coming in early with their own young families...and aint that what it's all about? As a rule, however, the Siam Supper Club is pretty much "Kidless" after 8:00.

"The wine list is unfocused."

You could be right as the view point for wine is most personal. We really do try and hit all the bases but you really must take into consideration the size of the restaurant and that we are in Phuket...wine is a tough gig here. With government taxes on wine being well north of 400 percent , it intrudes on the value for money aspect, the variety and consistancy of supply....ergo...you go for a more secure list. Having said that, we do get great comments on our list. Each year we get better and each tear we expand our wine room. As I say I cannot argue with you on this one as it is personal taste.

"Martinis with cheap vodka."

Wrong! Dead wrong! Let me make this perfcetly clear. All liquor and I repeat all liquor and spirits in The Siam Supper Club is "Top Shelf" or "Premium" or "Ultra Premium." In fact we have one of the most indepth and quality stocked bars on the island. Thats just a fact! I made it a mission. Your vodka was made with Stolichnya and was generously, free poured. If you wished to have an ultra premium vodka we had at least 7 or 8 to could have chosen from. With respect you were presented at seating with a full 4 page leather bound cocktail and spirits to help you with this choice. Sorry, but there's no cheap booze in The Siam Supper Club!

"If you stay late in turns into a kind of bar club scene."

Can't argue with you...you're right. We do kick the music up slowly at around 10:00. That's what we do! Before that time, however, we play the most glorious, wonderful, ecstatic, classic standards and jazz this side of bohemia.

"Anywhere else in the world it would fall on its face."

This comment was the "Ouch!" comment and if i might...a little unfair. Lord knows! You're probably right! How would I know...this is the only joint I've ever owned. At this point in my restaurant career, Michelin is still a tire company. I do know, however, that I personally, have fallen on my face else where in the world but Im sure thats not what your referring to. You give it your best and realize that you cant nail it with everyone. It is unfortunate that you did not "Get the experience"....again its a personal thing...I respect that. All I can do is hope that I will have the pleasure of your company again so that i may change your perception and get the things right that I got wrong.

Thank you for your comments and more importantly...thank you for your bussiness.

Sean Power
Owner and fellow Vancouverite.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Amazing Food and ambience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

My partner had eaten at this restaurant several times when he had visited Phuket and as it was my first trip to Phuket he suggested that we should go one evening. I can only say that the whole experience was outstanding. The service was impecable, the food was of a standard that top chefs and the likes of Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver would be expected to turn out and the whole ambience and music just made the whole experience perfect. I can only say that this restaurant is a definite must if you're visiting Phuket. If you like mussels and clams then try their appetiser, I can honestly say that they are the best mussels and clams I have ever tasted and the sauce and lovely bread that is served with it makes this one of the best appetiser's I have ever eaten. The thing I liked most of all about the restaurant is that the owner is completely hands on and personally welcomes you. So!!! A definite must visit. Enjoy. Gail.

Thailand
“An Epicurean's Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Latest visit to Phuket's best restaurant - bar none - was as good as ever. Excellent jazzy ambience, great food, very good wine list and all at value for money. This is something of a hidden gem, just outside Laguna - worth digging out. Can be busy so safer to book.

Church Crookham, Hampshire
“SUPPER CLUB IS #1 !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I cannot recommend the Supper Club highly enough. They offer a complimentary pick up and drop off service, in an air conditioned brand new toyota, where you are then welcomed by the most fantastic staff. The owner Sean is a pleasure to speak to and cannot welcome you enough. The Staff are all fantastic and extremley attentive. Its now my 9th time to Thailand in 10 years and the Supper Club only gets better with each visit, the food is fantastic and caters to everyones tastes. The decor is superb and the atmosphere is always brilliant. Its a must go to resturant while in Phuket!!!