“Perfect for Phuket Adventure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Resort by Hilton, Phuket-Surin Beach

You added DoubleTree Resort by Hilton, Phuket-Surin Beach to your Saves list
DoubleTree Resort by Hilton, Phuket-Surin Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106/27 Moo3 | Cherngtalay Surin Beach, Choeng Thale, Phuket 83110, Thailand   |
Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Choeng Thale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“Perfect for Phuket Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Myself and 2 other friends stayed at Doubletree late November and we all can't stress what an amazing time we had at the property. We were not originally going to stay at Surin beach, but we had to change our accommodation plans after the original hotel we had planned to stay at had overbooked halfway through our stay - and it was the best thing that could have happened. It was only supposed to be a 3 night stay at Doubletree Surin and we ended up extending our stay until the end of our vacation in Phuket, and why we would stay there on our next trip back. This was because of so many positives we had experienced during our time there:

- Hardworking and polite staff (particularly the General Manager, Front Office and Room Service) Many staff went out of their way to help us, in particular when our transfer to the airport did not show. The kind staff did everything they could to contact the transfer company and when it looked like we would be late for our flight, they provided us with a car to take us free of charge!
- Excellent-sized rooms
- Excellent breakfast buffet spread
- Free wireless in public areas (awesome considering you have to pay stupid amounts in Australian hotels)
- Location (may not have been right on the beach, but it was literally 5 minutes walk. Awesome bars and restaurants close-by, you cannot miss going to Catch Beach Club)

That's why I find it very confusing to read other reviews not speaking of the establishment as highly as myself. Yes, it's an older property, and service in the restaurant (Sunday mornings in particular) needs improvement - but it has recently been taken over by Hilton from Marriott and things are being improved upon. It may not be as exciting as some other resort-styled hotels around the place, but who goes on holiday to sit by a pool all day and not explore?

My friends and I found it a great place to come and relax after long days of sightseeing all of Phuket, and shopping & partying in crazy Patong. Great stay, highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Simon M, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton, Phuket-Surin Beach, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Adelaidetrio

Thank you so much for completing a review of the Resort after your recent stay.

I am glad we could accommodate you after your relocation and that you enjoyed the Resort and the area around Surin Beach in general.

Having recently joined the Hilton family under the Doubletree brand, we continue to focus on key areas such as the resort presentation and lifting the breakfast experience to be memorable regardless of the day of the week!

I will share your feedback with the Team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards
Simon McGrath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was my first time in Phuket and after many recommendations and advise from friends chose to stay in Surin. We had friends stay att the Doubletrip who highly recommended this property and believe me we were not disappointed.
I love this place.

The hotel and grounds are beautiful and it almost has a boutique feel to it. Rooms were modern and well aircondiotioned and the pool area was blissful.

Ok, now their breakfast would have to be one of the best breakfast ever... I new exactly were I was heading to every morning.

R\The staff werew so accommodation and I am actually planning my next trip and i know where I am staying.

Suirin is a great locoation close to Patong and the airport.

Plus extra bonus...I love my Hilton rewards points....and the chocolate trip cookie on arrival

I know

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kasper K

thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Resort.

Thank you so much for you positive comments on the Resort and its people, which I will certainly share with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is our fourth night (out of fifth) at Double Tree in a 1-bedroom. First, let me list the positives. The room is spacious and gives room for our 1-yo to run about. Bed is comfortable and nice toiletries (Crabtree & Evelyn!). They set up the portable cot and baby bath-tub, as requested. Kid's World is a good place for kids to have a short play time and staff were friendly. Pool was big and had two slides that many kids seemed to have so much fun on them.

Forthe negatives, for a Thai resort and of the Hilton brand, we felt the service was not really as warm & friendly as we had experienced 4 years ago. But to be fair this is our first time staying in a Hilton in Phuket. Reception was often busy and was not pro-active in offering help. Often the wait was long. Once I was waiting behind 2 ladies and when the receptionist at the other counter was done, she didn't even walk over to ask me how she could help but was walking to and fro between the two counters. I had to just go up and asked before I was served?!

Breakfast spread was good though not the best but acceptable to me since there was the egg station. Service staff were also a hit-and-miss but it could be due to the busy period? But hey, good service should be delivered regardless of the crowd size, else, it's not truly good service. Cutlery and coffee mug were missing. I would have gladly taken them myself if they were available at a station. Once I asked for a coffee mug and I was told they had run out of it!! But there were empty tables with mugs set up and couldn't she have given that to me, an existing customer first instead of leaving for a "future" customer'?!

I once saw a staff at the hotel front almost losing it when a group of customers asked for towels to the beach. He told them the towels had run out and they should go to the pool side to get them instead but I think they were Russians and took a while understanding what was said. When he repeated it the 2nd time, I could hear the raise in tone and that wasn't what I had seen in any Thai hotel staff before.

The hotel runs a tag line "it's the little things that count" by the fact they give you cookies during check-in (they also provide a refreshing cold drink & towel which is nice but quite a standard thing) but I think that's where it ends. We are here to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary and my husband had mentioned it in the booking comments (alongside the cot & baby tub requests) but there was not even a small cake or fruit-basket or a simple card to congratulate us. This is the first time we have not received any sort of celebratory token in any hotel in the world we have been to and it's certainly a disappointment. Isn't this is one of the little things that makes a difference to the service?

For the price we paid, I would have expected a much better service, considering this is a Hilton brand and Thailand. I hope we can experience a better service today, our last day before we leave.

• Stayed December 2012
Simon M, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton, Phuket-Surin Beach, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Mrs Yee

thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Resort. I was pleased to see there were many positives and equally disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in a number of areas.

Just to reaffirm firstly, as much as we are part of the Hilton Worldwide family, we are a Doubletree by brand with subtle differences in product and services on offer. This does not excuse in any way the lack or warmth in the service you highlight or the lack of engagement at breakfast. These I will address with the team who share my concern relating to the issues raised.

Communication at an international resort can be an issue and we have recently appointed a foreign language specialist to assist us in this area. We have also just introduced a number of foreign language welcome letters to provide details on such common questions as issuance and exchange of towels.

I was disapppointed we could not share with you your special occassion, but having booked through a third party internet site, I can confirm we did not receive this information. As you completed this review whilst in the hotel and it take 24 hours plus to be visible, there was little we could do post your departure to make amends.

As much as social media is a great tool for sharing sentiment and insights, any member of our caring management team would have been eager to hear of your concerns and make amends during your stay.

May I take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for not meeting your expectations. Rest assured, we will put your feedback to good use.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We chose this hotel for three reasons. Firstly it was near (6.5km) to the site of my Ironman 70.3 which was the main reason for travelling to Phuket in the first place. Secondly, the price was midrange and included extra bed and breakfast. Thirdly, the hotel was being marketed as 'family-friendly' and recommended to that effect by a couple of friend who work at Hilton.

Location - Surin Beach is a great place to be if you're travelling with kids. Not as crazy or noisy as Patong and not in the middle of nowhere either. There is peace and quiet on the beach if you want, or also some nice activities without people constantly harrassing you selling jewelry, massages or whatnot. Nighttime is also a great time to explore as there are a lot of very nice restaurants around. More expensive than the similar fare at Patong but also better service and more 'classy' and most importantly more quiet. As previously mentioned it is quite near to Laguna Phuket where the Ironman was so it was a short bike or car ride away.

Facilities - the room was large, and the beds big enough that we didn't actually need the extra bed. We were given a ground floor room which was absolutely great for the assembly and storage of the bike, I just left it on the balcony outside instead of it occupying space inside the room. The balcony is semi-private with lots of plants but is also only 10 steps away from the nice central pool, which was great for the kids. There was also a 'Kids World' day care center beside the pool, where you could leave your kids all day for free, and 6-9 pm (includes food) at night for a fee. We didn't actually use the day-care but it was great to have that option. The only drawback to having a ground floor unit was the pool noise during the afternoon, but really, you shouldn't be in your room in the afternoon in Phuket. (unless you're catching up on sleep the day before an Ironman).

The breakfast buffet was great, a pleasant surprise with a lot of variety. Omelets, bacon, different varieties of rice, salads, fruits, etc etc. A great spread we looked forward to every day.

Service is up to the usual Hilton standards, with the added perk of having the traditional Thai friendly smiles and attention. Plus I think all Thais absolutely love kids and treat them very well.

This being a very new Hilton (only converted from a Marriott this year), I was expecting a few glitches but almost all of them were smoothed over by friendly human touch. The poolside room could be very noisy but for the most part we were the ones making the noises so I couldn't complain. The doors are paper thin though and you could hear a conversation going on at the corridor outside. Also the staff did not refill our toiletries everyday, we had to request twice. To me these are very minor inconveniences though and did not detract from the very positive overall experience.

Room Tip: If you are going for the Ironman or are going with family, definitely choose the poolside room. It...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Simon M, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton, Phuket-Surin Beach, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Mpua

thank you for taking the time to complete a very informative review of the Resort.

I certainly agree that Surin is a great family destination and the Resort backs this up with the facilities you highlight.

As a new member to the Hilton Worldwide family, we certainly strive to meet all the standards expected of a Doubletree property. I am glad you enjoyed our Doubletree breakfast and found the Team friendly and delivering on our "Care" promise.

My apologies for the minor issue with the toiletries, which I will raised with our Housekeeper to ensure no such further oversights.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm rergards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife just came back from the hotel after staying there for 5 nights... must say, I do not really understand what all the people are complaining about. This is an excellent hotel where the only reasons for concern can be a noisy swimming pool (but with kids around, that's to be expected) and the lack of cappacino for breakfast buffet (which was unsettling).

The winning points are excellent staff, great location, good food, nice rooms.. I'd definitely come here again whenever I am in phuket next.

Dear Karan

thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Resort. I ws pleased to see you enjoyed the services and facilities generally and that our team took good care of you.

We strive to maintain a peaceful environment in the Resort, but as you note during the holiday season the children are eager to get into the pool early!

We do have espresso coffee available on request at breakfast at a small additional cost. I apologise if you were led to believe otherwise.

We hope to welcome you back again next year for the event.

NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife, 2 year old son and I have been staying at the Doubletree for the last few nights. We are in a 1 bed suite on the 3rd floor of building 3. My wife is American, I am English, and we live in Australia. We are well travelled and have been all over South East Asia.

We have had an excellent stay here and recommend the hotel/1 bed suite unreservedly to anyone on holiday with kids in Phuket. Surin is a lovely area, so peaceful and chilled out, very child friendly. We spent our first week in Kata and now wish we had spent the whole time here.

The Doubletree staff have been amazing, from the security guy who helps us cross the road to the beach, to the Kids World ladies who greet us each day. The reception staff have gone out of their way to be helpful and pretty much everyone we walk past says hello and smiles. Well done guys, it does make a difference!

The breakfast buffet is extremely good, the pool is large, the slides are fast, the lobby is very pleasant and welcoming. Everything is kept clean and tidy. There is free wireless internet available throughout the public areas and in some of the rooms also.

If you are after a 'honeymoon' style holiday as a couple then this hotel probably isn't for you. Also, if you dislike Russians, this hotel and also Phuket in general probably isn't for you! Other than that, it's great.

Only 1 thing that I found strange about hotel - the piped music played in the corridors until 10am is bad pop and tends to seep into the rooms. If they'd just change the music to the chill out tunes played at breakfast it would be a big improvement.

Room Tip: Go high and building 3.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Simon M, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton, Phuket-Surin Beach, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Daniel

thank you for taking the time to complete a review fo the Resort. I was pleased to see you and your family enjoyed your time here.

Surin Beach is certainly one of the jewels of Phuket and many guests coming to this area for the first time suggest it is like Phuket used to be.

I will certainly share your positive comments about our team wiith all concerned and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

we changed our room, the bathroom's door frame is simply rotten. see picture. another room's bathroom was as bad. the third room we accepted. but its not much better. its completely worn out. We will not come here again. the staff is great, but worn out is worn out. breakfast is normal to 4-5 star hotels in Phuket. Capepanwa is our recommendation to every family.

Dear Andy

thank you for completing a review of the Resort. I was concerned to note that there were some issues with your bathroom. Please accept my sincere apologies as this is certainly not acceptable nor indicative of the majority of our rooms and suites.

As the new operators of this Resort, we are certainly auditing all rooms addressing such issues. Again I can ensure you this is not common place and the rooms are generally in a good condition, wihch the generally positive reviews you note would suggest.

Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss your concerns further.

Once again, please accept my apologoies for not meeting your expectations.

Yours sincerely
Simon McGrath

Been to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton, Phuket-Surin Beach? Share your experiences!