“So friendly and relaxing!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Bastide de Lassalle to your Saves list
Bastide de Lassalle
A Lassalle, 32550 Montegut-Saves, France   |
Hove
“So friendly and relaxing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Edith gave us a very friendly welcome. The room was very clean and spacious. Perfect location to get away from it all, so peaceful. Edith's breakfasts were amazing, homemade bread, lemon scones, plum compote, homemade pate and courgette omelette - yum! I would wholeheartedly recommend - enjoy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We are the travelers who very seldom book ahead and usually it works out .This time coming into Auch on a Sunday at 6 .30 pm we came unstuck .We rang Edith who came to fetch us and take us to her home even though she had other guests who she was cooking for .What an angel !To top it of she asked us if we wanted a meal and proceeded to cook a beautiful meal of local products and give an Armagnac tasting .We were only able to stay the one night but the room was comfortable and had tea and coffee making facilities in the room which we really like . Good local knowledge .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
bramhall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed 2 nights ( wished it had been more!) and loved the friendly relaxed atmosphere,the spacious rooms, the entertaining animals and our host and hostess were delightful in every respect. We had 2 meals with wine and they were excellent ( no choice of course......it is not to be expected) but Edith did check that we were happy with her selections. The pool was spotless and there were several really comfortable relaxers around the pool area. Shade can be found in their enormous garden. A very welcoming unpretentious place. Not luxurious but interesting and absolutely pure holiday! Thank you George and Edith, we hope to return!

Room Tip: Tell Edith if you need a room with a shower, they are available. Go being prepared to fit in and fee...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

The first thing to say is that we were greeted warmly and offered refreshments.  The room was large and clean and although it wasn't to my taste it is certainly pleasant enough although relatively basic in furnishings.  A good feature was the very large balcony although this is tempered slightly by having to share it with the next door room.  The shared balcony meant that we didn't feel able to leave the door open for ventilation so worth bearing in mind if you are looking to stay during the hotter months.  The bathroom was large and clean but the let down was the lack of shower - I don't think I'll ever understand why many French houses seem to have baths rather than showers.  It is worth mentioning the thoughtful touch of spare razor, tampon and panty liner.
As for location it is lovely but it is very out of the way so don't even consider this place without your own transport.
Worth an extra mention is the hostess, Edith. She is very friendly, generous with her time and keen to help.
So, overall good and fairly priced too although a ceiling fan would have made it more comfortable.

• Stayed July 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights when travelling to the area for a friends wedding. The main downfall was the location - it is described as Montegut, but is about 2km away and so it took as a very long time to find it - but this is no fault of the B&B.

It is a beautiful rural setting, and the cats and dogs really made our stay (probably not great if you are not an animal lover!) Edith was attentive and helpful without being intrusive. She kindly gave us a lift into Auch one night and recommended a great restaurant, she also spoke with a taxi company to make sure we got back safely. I had to see an emergency doctor during my stay and because of my inability to communicate in French fluently Eidith called ahead to make sure they knew I was coming and translated the problem.

The room was big and spacious, with a bright big bathroom with double sink. I liked the firm bed and everything was clean and welcoming.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We totally enjoyed our stay at Bastide de Lassalle. It was convenient to the nearby Auch. It was a highly personalized experience, which we loved. Edith and her husband made us feel totally at home. We felt like we were part of the family, as we decided to participate in the optional home-cooked dinners. We would heartily recommend that you enjoy Edith's culinary skills and the fellowship around the dinner table with her family and other guests. By the way, the costs for accommodations and for the dinners was VERY reasonable. If you want a sterile hotel experience, this is not the place, but if you want to experience a window into an authentic and hospitable French family, this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

I have given myself a week before writing this review as I wanted to reflect on my thoughts to be fair to Edith. But I booked this place mostly on the strength of the glowing reviews on Tripadvisor and for that reason I feel duty-bound to leave a note of my experience, even though it is clearly at odds with all of the others on here. If you look at my contributions, you will also see that I tend to give high ratings as I have experienced many wonderful hotels, so it is fairly unusual for me to go to 3 marks out of 5.

I stayed here with my family and my father - we took the two pretty rooms with the shared terrace. The vista was indeed lovely and we were greeted by a wonderful set of cats and dogs which we loved (you would have to like animals to go here). On arrival, we shared a home-cooked meal at a large table with a French couple and Edith. I'm not going to rave about the dinner food but I'm not going to be negative either. Also, you have to be a certain kind of person to enjoy a meal in a foreign country with strangers. More wine and a choice would have been nice, but right from the off you are aware that you are in someone's home and unclear what the options are. Nevertheless, so far, so good/ok.

And so to bed. I know some people like a hard bed, but this was like lying on a rock. My father's next door was no better. Then after a very poor night's sleep and a sore back, the bread for breakfast matched the 'Moh scale' standards of the bedding!! Previous reviewers have raved about the wonderful breakfast. We didn't find it so. The bread and other baked goods were practically inedible, although the home-made jams were tasty.

Anyway, we enjoyed our tour of the Auch countryside and the weather was very lovely one day so we spent it by the pool which was really relaxing and the highlight of the Bastide. So far we are at 4 stars (a slight reduction for the hardness of the bed and the bread).

Before I left home I had received an email from Edith asking me if we could give up one of the rooms for a double-booking which she had accepted, or alternatively she could help find another B&B for our final night. Given my father's age I didn't want that disruption so I agreed beforehand that we would give up our room for another downstairs without an ensuite. When the time arrived, I found that it was the daughter's bedroom, far from the toilet and that I had to use my father's bathroom upstairs for myself and my child, which had only a glass door on it so we were hardly able to wash at all. Yes, we were charged less for this room downstairs, but I really didn't understand why the other couple took priority over us - we met them at breakfast, and I can only assume that they had booked for a long period of time and Edith didn't want to lose their business and gave them our room booked months beforehand. Perhaps if my French was better, I would have understood the reason. One blessing, though, was the softer bed downstairs, even if there was no loo!!!!

So all-in-all, we were glad to leave. I fully expect a management response to this refuting my account, but this is what happened. I didn't want to leave no review at all which would have been the easier option. Maybe I'm just not the type of person who fits in well to this kind of environment, although I have very much enjoyed similar set-ups in other places. I leave you to judge.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Bastide de Lassalle? Share your experiences!