“Superb” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SALA Phuket Resort & Spa

You added SALA Phuket Resort & Spa to your Saves list
SALA Phuket Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Moo 3 Mai Khao Beach, Mai Khao, Phuket 83110, Thailand   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Mai Khao
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I must admit we chose Sala Phuket with mixed emotions given the variety of trip advisor reviews. We choose the resort based on the contemporary and minimalist style and the fact that they had private pool villas which, as our first trip to Thailand and Phuket, we felt we should experience. I guess as a result of the TA reviews our expectations were reasonable but we weren't expecting a 5 star plus experience.

As our first trip to Thailand we decided to 'play it safe' and arrange airport taxis through the hotel (acknowledging there would be a slight premium - compared to ordering on arrival - but arranging from the UK would have been more expensive). We found the service to be excellent - clearly presented sign on arrival and quick trip in a luxury minivan was welcome after a long flight!

Upon arrival we were greeted by lovely check in staff (complete with welcome drink) and checking in took under 10 mins. We arrived at 11am and we were pleased to be shown straight to our room - a pool villa. I would advise looking at the personal travel photos on tripadvisor since, as others have mentioned, the website photos were taken at the right time of day and with the best lighting so it's looks better than in real life. That said, we found the rooms to be well appointed and private with ample amounts of space and, in my opinion, therefore great value and properly luxurious. Yes, they may need a bit of maintenance (it does have a few knocks here and there) and yes the doors don't close properly but they don't need to - it's hot outside and it doesn't impact the air conditioning! As I write this we are lounging by the pool in the villa and I don't have anything to fault really. Sure if you were looking for luxury branded wash basins etc then you won't find it here but we didn't find this to be a problem.

As a result first impressions were that expectations have been exceeded and we're thoroughly pleased we are staying here.

I thought I would summarise the positives and negatives as we see them. Note we stayed for 6 nights, on a half board package (and flew Malaysian Airlines from LHR via Kuala Lumpur).

Positives
- Decent sized Pool villa
- Overall style of the resort
- Bar/ restaurant area - really great place to chill
- Music in bar
- Staff/Service - everyone is so pleasant and attentive
- Location - nice and quiet and with a very long stretch of beach
- Food - really fantastic - especially on half board - best, consistent food we've had in a hotel for a long time
- choice of cocktails
- healthy smoothies
- wine list
- Spa - really good couples massage
- early checkin and late check out
- evening turn down service - a new tea every night, candle scent and anti mosqitoe measures in place (coil, electric in room)

Negatives
- wine by the glass varies if a bottle has been open orif they are opening a new one - they don't use a vacuum system to keep a wine overnight so I felt that some of the wines were not as good.
- tiles in the villa - it's been said before, but they can get very slippy when wet

Comparisons with surrounding resorts:

We always feel compelled to check out surrounding resorts - we visited Renaissance, JW marriott and Anantara resorts as they were all within walking distance of each other - we didn't eat at any of these places but just wanted to get a feel for the resorts and ambience - here is my view:

1. Renaissance - impressive reception area and more landscaped gardens. Spa looked lovely and communal areas were in a similar contemporary style to Sala. Whilst the impression I got was that things are looked after better I imagine there is a reason for this - a) it has 3 times as many guests staying at it (but the resort is a fraction larger than Sala) b) it is part of the Marriott group so bigger budgets. That said, it does feel more corporate and less of a boutique hotel for me - I preferred the bar and pool areas of Sala and I can't see how you would beat the food or winelist at Sala so Sala wins for me. Staff were also a lot more disinterested - not one person said hello to us - upon walking back into the Sala property from the beach at least 3 people came up and said hi.
2. JW Marriott - not our cup of tea - this felt like a typical, corporate four star resort. I guess the benefit of that is you know what you're going to get (and maybe pay for?) - for us Sala wins hands down.
3. Anantara - still corporate but more impressive landscape (over a lagoon). Pool and bar area nothing special. The villas (we asked to be shown one) are nice enough, imitation traditional thai - so if that is what you after then you might be happy.

Overall, we've thoroughly enjoyed our stay here - it's a chic resort, with lovely staff and great food. If you want ocean front villas and pools then don't come here or this area as no one seems to be allowed to do this around here but come here with realistic expectations and you will be very happy - as we were. Price to quality ratio was perfect! Thanks to all at Sala.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Signature Kpfromuk, WOW! Where do we begin to thank you for writing such a wonderfully positive and comprehensive review of your 6 days at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa. It is so thoroughly rewarding when we see all the hard work all our staff put in, pay off with such a beautiful review and account of your experiences at SALA. To say we exceeded your 5* expectations is a true blessing on the efforts our team put in day-in-day-out. It is always extra rewarding when we know this was your first time in Thailand and you have left us and Thailand with such beautiful and lifelong memories. We have shared your review with all our team and it’s reviews such as yours which helps motivate us all to continue to strive for excellence. Sometimes things go wrong and we take it on the chin and put it right and even try and make it better. From your account we got everything right first time – Thank you again and we look forward and hope we’ll be on your itinerary for your 2nd trip to Thailand. Our very best wishes the SALA Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dingwall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Best resort I have ever stayed at. Very well maintained and the staff are all super friendly and helpful. The food is 5 star, very delicious, especially the pancakes, cream and mango, which is made to order. Quiet location, close to nice beach. The resort itself is beautiful and it has the comfiest memory foam sun loungers, which I could happily lie on all day. Highly recommend to all looking for luxury and relaxation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Signature Lyndz86, thank you so much for your lovely review. It is so tremendous to read your thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of your stay which we have shared with all out SALA team. Our breakfast pancakes are always a winner! We do hope you will return and if so, please let us know. Out best regards the SALA Management
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This is the perfect place for couples and family to get away. It quiet and away from the crowd. A wonderful place for one to just chill and relax on a holiday. My room was upgraded for free and I enjoy the private pool that came along with it. I was attended by Beny upon check in, a cheerful young lady who explain the services available around the resort. On every evening when we came back to the hotel we would find a small bottle of drink which is good for the body. On my check out day, They even offer a complimentary ride to JW Marriott Phuket where I will be heading to attend the conference. To summaries, a good place for one that want to get away from urban life and excellent customer service.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Signature Chan J, thank you ever so much for such a great review on your stay at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa. It is so lovely to read you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found our service excellence so accommodated. Thank you again and we hope you’ll return in the near future for a relaxing vacation. Best regards the SALA Management
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

My partner and I chose to have our destination wedding at the Sala Resort earlier this month. The resort was everything I could dream for and more!

All of the staff from the managers to the gardeners were very friendly, greeting every time you walked past with a big friendly smile. We felt like royalty,the F&B Manager - Jose, Head Chef - Juan, and the Events Manager - Pui all made a point to come and say hello and introduce themselves and offered to assist us with anything during our stay.

We were so fortunate to be looked after by Pui (Events Manager) she was happy to be available for us at any stage of during our stay, nothing was ever a problem. She was fantastic at coordinating everything leading up to the big day right down to the small details and last minute requests (sorry).

The menu on offer and our Wedding and our Day After BBQ Lunch were absolutely amazing and there was so much of it on offer. The chef and team really need to be commended on a job well done.

I would definitely recommend this resort to people looking for a hidden oasis in Phuket, away from the hustle and bustle. We stayed in a Garden Pool Villa and it was absolutely beautiful! We were so caught up with our friends before the wedding that we didn't get enough time to relax at this beautiful resort... so we now enjoying another 5 nights at Sala to finish off our stay. The staff were so happy to welcome us back and I don't know how I'm going to able to leave this paradise!

I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that all of our guests highly enjoyed the surroundings and service at the Sala Resort. The staff are all so friendly and welcoming and you really do feel welcome, they really are the soul of the resort.

The breakfast on offer is to die for and they had a very fantastic range of cocktails!! The true beauty is there is something little going on each day, and you can be involved if you want to or you don't have to at all.

The beach is very quiet and you don't have people trying to sell you things on the beach.

I would highly recommend this venue for anyone looking to have a destination wedding or any looking for a relaxing couples getaway! You will need at least 5 nights to relax and enjoy this beautiful paradise!!

So glad we have come back to Sala to finish off our honeymoon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Amy & Evan, WOW! Where do we begin to thank you for choosing to have your destination wedding at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa and for writing such a wondrous review of your wedding and honeymoon vacation. We shall ensure we share your lovely review with our whole SALA team and especially Khun Pui, she really is a shining star and nothing is ever too much for her. Please continue to enjoy your villa for a few more days and if there is anything we can do further do make your stay even more perfect please just let us know. Let us take this opportunity again to congratulate you both and wish you a lifetime of happiness and good health! All the best the SALA Management
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed at Sala for 4 nights, during my honeymoon trip through Asia.
It was just what we were looking for in Phuket.
As you know Phuket is a place that has everything from great beaches to all-night drinking bars. Some parts of Phuket don't let you get the rest and relaxation your looking for, but in SALA you can relax and have a great time.
The hotel is located at a great, calm beach. The staff is great and available 24/7.
The room was very romantic with and indoor pool, that made it great to go for a dip in the early morning without having to leave your room.
It's a great place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Rooms with the indoor pool are great to relax!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Signature Peter P, thank you for choosing to spend 4 nights and part of your Asian vacation at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa and for sharing your experience here. It is so wonderful to read you had such a thoroughly enjoyable time and you were so impressed with the SALA team, our location and your villa. Thank you again and we do hope you’ll make the long journey back to us in the future. Our more sincerest regards the SALA Management
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Ok, so I live in Singapore and go to Thailand a lot, as do others, and I was honestly a bit gob smacked when I arrived at the Sala. I as expecting it to be a really beautiful place. It is not aesthetically pleasing on the eye. It looks like army barracks. The rooms are OK inside but on the outside, its quite honestly quite ugly. Once you walk through the Barracks to get to the beach front then its fine but even then, its a bit bland, with grey furniture and no color to lift the place. I also found the service very very average indeed. The staff although quite friendly, were very slow in the restaurant and not attentive enough for the amount of money you pay. Its almost as though they have slashed there costs in the last few months as a friend of mine stayed there a year or so ago and said it was a fine place to stay. Such a shame, as potentially , it could be rather nice but I found the atmosphere non descript, I have a feeling the staff are not happy !....shame. All in all, not a great write up. Sorry Sala, but I do hope you take this on board and put things right. I will not be going back there again. If I do it will be for a walk on the beach, which really is wonderful and totally unspoilt.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Signature gaynor s, thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa. Our design is loved by most but we appreciate it may not be everyone's cup of tea. We do take all comments good, bad and indifferent very seriously and continually strive to improve and as you’ll see from our reviews that the vast majority are impressed with 84% of our reviewers this year scoring us 4 or 5. It is unfortunate to read your experience was not how you or we would have liked. It is inevitable that things go wrong and there is no pleasing everyone however we pride ourselves on ensuring any issue big or small that comes to our attention is rectify with absolute priority. It is really unfortunate you did not bring to our attention the issues you’ve raised here as I am sure you would have had a far more memorable recollection of your stay. It is also unfortunate and a little unfair that you score us overall a ‘2’ yet score us with 3s and 4s in the categories. Nevertheless thank you again and we wish you all the best, the SALA Management
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This resort is extremely impracticle, either you have a balcony room which requires you to walk up 26 exceptionally steep and slippery (when wet) steps. It is air conditioned in the bedroom only, the bathroom is outdoors on the balcony and is not aircon, you are walking outside to use the bathroom, there is absolutely no privacy in the bathroom at all, insects and bugs accumulate at night everywhere in the bathroom all around your toiletries.

The restaurant is outdoors and birds are flying in doing droppings all over the seats, so you need to check before you sit down. If you have young children, you are either trying to negotiate them upstairs or if you upgrade to a pool room at double the price your child would walk out the door and fall into the pool. Also the pool room bathrooms are again outside and the toilet is visible from the pool so no privacy from other guests in the room.

The staff are extremely unhelpful and arrogant. Management need to look at their business practices as the other resorts nearby are packed to capacity and Sala was almost empty except for the wedding guests.

The water activities offered is simply 2 kayaks, if you are a party of more than this then ????

On the plus side if you are a young couple without children, fit and healthy then it would be a quiet retreat (remembering you have no privacy in bathroom for anything you do, and you are fighting the insects, and heat) if you are willing to pay the exorbitant prices charged for drinks and food.

Room Tip: Do not pick a balcony room if you cannot manage 26 steep steps.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Signature Jan F, we are extremely sorry that your vacation at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa was such an unfortunate let down for you. Our outdoor bathrooms are a feature of SALA and are stated on websites and literature promoting SALA, in addition numerous comments have been made on here about them too. In the main we receive positive comments on the design, layout and its aesthetics, however we appreciate it may not be appreciated by all especially those with families. The Myna bird is a pest and of concern throughout Phuket, Asia and Australia as I am sure you know, we do try our utmost to ensure the restaurant and its guests are protected from their annoyances, we have tried numerous methods to eradicate them and we continue to pursue with this. With respects to the water sports we are not big on water sports and the complimentary kayaks and bicycles are offered for our guests to leisurely enjoy the splendor of our location in the Sirinath National Park. It is undoubtable when one travels that sometimes things go wrong, and we appreciate that we are not perfect, though saying that one thing we do pride ourselves on and take with paramount importance is the eradication of guest concerns and problems. When things are brought to our attention we act fast and we go to almost any length to ensure our guest’s stay is a truly a memorable one. It is therefore with great regret that it we were not made aware of any of your grievances during your stay, for as we had known we would have acted. We appreciate you sharing your views and hope your next family vacation the resort matches your family’s needs more appropriately. Our sincerest regards the SALA Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
Anantara Phuket Villas
Anantara Phuket Villas
#1 of 9 in Mai Khao
4.5 of 5 stars 871 reviews

Been to SALA Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!