“Great Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SALA Phuket Resort & Spa

You added SALA Phuket Resort & Spa to your Saves list
SALA Phuket Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Moo 3 Mai Khao Beach, Mai Khao, Phuket 83110, Thailand   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Mai Khao
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

Great hotel with fantastic rooms and excellent service. Whilst some reviewers complained out the outside bathroom, personally I see this as a positive rather than negative feature. I still can't believe how some people have complained about seeing the bathroom from the pool especially if the person you can see if your partner!

Rooms overall are extremely well appointed and service across the whole resort is of a high standard. The pool which is included with most rooms is also of a very high standard. The spa and its treatments were also fantastic so no complaints there.

The only two niggles I had about the resort related to the quality of the food and the beach. Whilst the food was good, it was certainly not excellent. Also the beach suffers from an ever present litter problem but this is true both for this resort as well as the Marriott next door. I only wish Asia learnt how to put rubbish in a bin!

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

We are 4 days into a 7 night stay and after reading the last review felt I should comment. We have found all aspects to our stay so far brilliant actually hard to find any faults. No problems with service at the restaurant dinner or breakfast in fact have not missed having a buffet we have found it great being able to order what ever we want from the menu full English breakfast, cereal, fruit platter, smoothies actually a huge choice available. Staff have been nothing short of fantastic, warm, friendly, helpful and always willing to try understand our requests, yes their English is not the best but all are willing to try. As far as wireless internet service I am at this very moment writing this review from the beautiful out door lounge in our villa have had no problems at all and as we have our own laptop we are regularly using this service.

Once our trip is over I will again add to this review.

• Liked — Beautiful Villa
  • Disliked — Little bit isolated
Rawai Beach, Phuket
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

We just returned from our night's stay at the Sala Phuket.
My boy must've said "Wow!" about 20 times.
The place is very impressive with very friendly staff starting as soon as we arrived.
We were given flowers, cold drinks, a couch to relax on while they did our paperwork.
Then we were escorted to our villa where everything was explained and the Wows continued.
I think there must have been at least 15-20 pillows throughout the villa and my wife claimed her corner by the tub while my boy headed for the outdoor shower.
I went for a swim. The first of many.
All in all, we had a wonderful time, called room service to eat in twice, ate at the restaurant twice also and the staff was very nice even when my son spilled water all over.
I hope to stay there again and now it will be hard to not compare any hotel or resort to the Sala as the best we've ever seen.

• Liked — The villa complete with room, pool, outdoor hang-out area
  • Disliked — What's not to like? (my wife's words)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Evreux, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

We had planed to stay 6 nights at the Sala Phuket but checked out after 3 nights. We were totally disappointed by the service level, which is NOT the service level of a so called 5 star hotel. I believe there is problem with the management not training their staff properly.
The concept and architecture are memorable but in my opinion are not enough for a 5 star resort.
The unprofessional service level ruined our stay.

The worst was the service at the restaurant. A real joke ! Never seen that anywhere else and I travel extensively. Mistakes in orders or serving food at the right table, never had the same waiters/waitress, lots of confusion. Food served too quickly (we had barely finished our main course that desert was there on the table... not even 2 minutes in between..) or too late , had to wait 40 minutes + for our main course to be served. Rice served cold. No breakfast buffet, but "à la carte" and there also many mistakes..
Regarding room service, systematically forgot one of your orders when delivering.
Laundry : they deliveree the laundry of a man ! Had to call laundry service, their english speaking was so bad... Took 30 minutes before they understood they had made a mistake and search for my cleaned clothes.
Villa was coming with Wifi connection but it propably worked 2 hours within 4 days. Technicians was not able to fix it neither explain why it was not working... They made us changed villa but still nor working, we just wasted one afternoon trying to sort this out.
Guest service : I called a couple of times to book taxis for next day. When I called 5 minutes before our reservation time, they did not know what I was talking about and had no reservation.
Room cleaning : was superficial, floors not washed, private pool cleaned once in 4 days. Only the bedroom of the villa is indoor, the rest is outdoor , toilets and bathroom included so not convenient when raining.
Overall this level of service is not acceptable for a so called 5 star hotel and has no excuse especially at a period of the year when resort is half empty..
We really regret we wasted our money and time there.

• Liked — Beach location
  • Disliked — Service level uncompatible with price paid
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Around the world
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

I have stayed with my fiancee for two weeks in a SALA Pool Villa and enjoyed the space and privacy provided in the villa. During our stay we have also seen the Garden Villa which offers the same space but with a slightly different decor. The staff is very friendly and delivered always on all our requests with a big smile.
The food is great and Chef Jan and his team did a fantastic job. The service in the restaurant/bar is not as fast as in a business hotel but professional and well organised though. It is a shame that there is currently only one outlet offered as dining option.
The housekeeping service was excellent. The cleanliness of the villa was up to the high standards of the hotel and by the way, we have not seen even one mosquito during our stay.
I will recommend this place to all my friends and will definetely be back soon.
Do not go to SALA Phuket if you expect Amanpuri service or a typical Thai architecture. Leave your high heels at home and find true relaxation in a casual and very stylish ambience.
A big thank you to the Management team of Anthony, Jan, Gary and Jennifer for a wonderful time in Paradise.
See you soon SEXY SALA!

• Liked — Huge In-villa pool
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

My husband and I have traveled a lot around Asia those last years and we stayed in many different kinds of hotels but usually more 4 than 5 stars. In Phuket, we stayed at the Holiday Inn - busakorn wing, the Kata Thani and the Twin Palms. Our best experience, by far, was at the Twin Palms. We really loved the place and the service and food are top noch. This time, we decided to stay 6 days at the Twin Palms and then 7 days at the Sala. We wanted to experience a more upscale resort and had been impressed with the raving reviews about the Sala.

Even if I really liked this hotel, in this review I will rather focus on the negative points as I think it could be of interest for other travelers :

The Sala Phuket has indeed a very nice architecture and design. The paths are nice and green (very graphic with lines of grass beetween the pavments) but women should avoid to walk with heels as they will get traped in the holes between the pavments : I nearly twisted an ankle on the first night and then switched for the nice slipers provided in the room).

Our pool villa was great and the pool had a good size. The outdoor bathroom is very nice to look at but not convenient at all. An outdoor shower is a nice and usefull thing especially when you are using your villa's pool. But at night, indoor is more my style as I’d like to be able to take a bath without worrying about being bitten by mosquitoes. Also, it is really not convenient to have your toilets outside and not separate from the pool (we also had one in our pool villa in Bali last year but it was at the back of the room and the pool was in front) : during the day, you just don't have the necessary intimacy as your partner can partially see you seated on the toilets from the pool ... and hear everyhing that's going on ..... Cheers honeymooners ! At nigth, it is really annoying to have to figth with the heavy and noisy sliding door to go outside have your midnight meeting with mosquitoes.

The SPA is very stylish with a minimalist design (kind of japanese zen) and a twist of baroque (heavy cristal lightings). The staff is friendly and they have a nice "protocol" : cold towel and herbal cold drink on arrival ; cookie and hot tea at the end ; feet bath before the treatment). Nevertheless I have been disappointed by the treatments. I have had one facial and one body scrub and they were both very average. The SPA uses good products for facials (Jurlique) but the therapist worked in a really mechanical and rougth way; applying cold or hot towels on my face without warning (not the best way to relax) and pressing too hard with her fingers around my eyes when applying serum.

The big issue in this hotel is the restaurant. The food is quite good even if my husband had one bad dish during our stay (pork filet : tasted odd and he had a toothtpain as the meat was so hard). Prices are really ok for such a place. The service, on the other hand, is really not what you would expect in such a boutique hotel. The staff is friendly and seems to try hard (at least some of them). Also, they are not trying to sell you Evian each time you ask for water and they bring two spoons in case you want to share the dessert but :
- the service is really too slow : I can wait 15 minutes between each dish but 30 to 40 minutes is not acceptable :
- you rarely have the same waiter twice during your diner so when you ask about your dish to the only waiter in sight after having already waited the usual 30 minutes, the second waiter doesn’t have a clue, says he is gonna check and disapears ; you wait then for 5 more minutes before another waitress comes to you to let you know the order had actually never been registred and they are now taking care of it. All in all ; we have waited 65 minutes for our beef tenderloins. It was my birthday and I was so upset I though about leaving the restaurant without waiting for my dish. The third waitress apologized for what was not her mistake but the one of the first waiter and informed us at the end of the diner that the restaurant was offring us the filets. This was a nice touch but our evening had been spoiled.
- the service provided is never twice the same : one day they bring you complimentary chips with chili sauce and bread with butter ; one day you get nothing and it will be just chips or bread every other day …. served sometimes after your main course.
- the breakfast menu is unclear : in your set, you can have 2 eggs any style but it is not written that you can have cheese, mushrooms or ham in it. Depending on the member of the staff taking your order, you will be informed of it or not. Same thing for the fruit salad : you can have a fruit plate if you prefer but we have been told so only once during our stay and it is written nowhere. They forgot the orange juice included in the set of my husband at least 3 times so we had to ask for it and once they brougth 2 … and so on ….
These are mostly details and nothing very important but, in the end, it becomes hard to relax because you are wondering what’s gonna be the next problem. We also spotted mistakes in our bill 3 times ! The first time they billed us for something different from what we had and the two other times items we never asked for were included in our bill … so you end up checking on everything. I understand that an error can happen once in a while but this was a firework ! We have never had such an experience in none of the hotel we have been staying in before even if they weren’t as upscale as this one. There is an obvious lack of management.

So, even if we really liked the place and the many nice touches I didn’t took time to talk about (a cake in our room for my birthday ; complimentary tapas during the happy hour at the pool bar ; slipers , hat and beach bag provided ; late checking until the time of our departure), we have very mixed feelings about this hotel as there was too much amateurism for a 5 stars boutique hotel with five stars’ rates.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — restaurant's service ; outdoor toilets
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

This is a unique, interestingly designed beachfront resort. The frontage is spectacular with two infinity swimming pools, wide lawns, mature trees and access to a fabulous and pristine beach. The room that we had was the garden pool villa on the ground floor. One problem with all the villas appeared to be the lack of any view of the sea. We were surrounded by a wall for privacy. The villa itself was delightful, done in clean lines delicate motifs on floors and walls and pale colours for a very restful feel. There was a choice of types of pillows and scents for soap, lotion, shampoo and bath gel. The fruit basket was stuffed with fresh local delights such as rambutans, longans and jambu. The bathroom was accessed by a floor to ceiling sliding glass door, or alternately a floor to ceiling solid wooden door, depending on whether one wanted light or black out. We found these doors somewhat heavy and unwieldy to manage and thought that elderly tourists might have trouble manipulating them. There was also a significant step down into the bathroom, another possible hazard for the elderly. But for the younger set, it was fine. There was an enormous terrazo bath tub and an outdoor rain shower. The pool in front was sufficiently large to do half laps and a real delight to go skinny dipping at any time in complete privacy. The reception area is set back from the main intricately friezed gateway, separated by broad shallow pools of water giving delicate reflections and a sense of calm and cool. It took a few minutes to be registered as there was some confusion over the package contents that we had booked. That was courteously sorted out. The staff were unanimously welcoming and warm throughout out stay. The spa was interesting: We had to walk down an echoey corridor lined by strips of slate towards the reception area. The spa salas were at the end of a pebble lined walkway cooled by a continuous misty spray of water. The salas were too warm when we entered, but cooled down once the airconditioning was adjusted. The Thai massage we experienced was competently performed by young masseuses, good, but clearly lacking the touch of experience often available from older therapists. The sole restaurant with bar was open to the pools and lawns and delightful to sit at to enjoy the sunset. Service was friendly, although considering the low occupancy, there were some surprising misses: Hot tea was brought without cups, which arrived 5 minutes later. A bowl of cereal was served without a spoon to eat with. Over easy eggs occasionally came with yolk cooked solid. Rare steak was actually medium. Apart from this, the food was generally imaginatively created and presented. Then the disaster! We had a Thai set meal one night, which was superb and delicious. But at 5 am the following morning, I was awake with tummy cramps and incessant diarrhoea. My wife woke up a few hours later and vomitted endlessly. The heavy sliding bathroom doors suddenly mattered to us as we dashed in and out as required. We had been downed by food poisoning. We summoned the restaurant manager at breakfast and explained our plight. We concluded that it had likely been the cold beef salad that had done us in. I must say their service recovery was wonderful. Jennifer the restaurant manager immediately went to report to the duty manager and bring us medicines from their cabinet. What they did not have, they sent a car out to buy for us. They offered access to a doctor, but being doctors ourselves, we declined. Andrew the duty manager came to us within minutes to offer his apologies, to confirm an investigation, offer any help possible and without any hesitation offered our last night there with his compliments. Of course such incidents can happen with the very best hotels and resorts in the world and we did not think any less of the Sala for this and will be happy to come back. Overall our experience was idyllic and enjoyable and we would highly recommend Sala Phuket to all except perhaps the elderly and incontinent, as rapid access to the bathrooms can be slightly trying in a rush in the dead of night. But I expect this resort to do well.

• Liked — Beautiful frontage
  • Disliked — Unwieldy bathroom doors
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to SALA Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!