Stayed in the Sala Pool Villa, which came with a private pool, outdoor shower, bathtub and toilet. I really enjoyed taking a shower under the blue sky, with the light breeze blowing around. There are curtains that you can pull to divide the outdoor area into sections, and for a little privacy if you want to do your "business" without your villa-mate being witness to it. You'll still have to put up with the lizards peeking at you though. Noted that no mozzies made an appearance for the duration of our stay, although you may pick up a couple of sandfly bites around the cafe/main pool area.
Breakfast a la carte buffet is hit and miss though generally good. Some dishes are better than others, and it depends on who is making it that morning. I ordered a lovely waffle that was nice and crisp around the edges, but when I ordered it again the following morning, it was soggy.
Food at lunch and dinner is a little pricey, but portions are adequately filling. The fish with lime juice and chili is delicious (my mouth is watering at the memory), kurobuta porkchop got two thumbs up, but the Fisherman's Catch we had on Sunday was lacklustre and seafood was powdery (not very fresh, would not recommend). They have movie screenings on the lawn on some nights, accompanied by fresh popcorn.
We had requested a private pool with lots of sun, but failed to specify that we wanted evening sun (not morning), thus could only use the pool in the morning as it was too chilly to swim in after about 3pm. Noted that several other villas have trees overlooking the pools, which looks great but probably makes the pool a little too cold to lounge about in. This is not too much of a hardship given that the main public pool gets sun throughout the day and is nice and warm and long enough to do laps.
The gym has a dumbbell rack, weights machines, and treadmills, but no squat rack or barbells. There's a spa and sauna, but we didn't manage to get round to giving those a try. Bikes are free to borrow at the poolside, but don't come in many sizes, so you can't be terribly picky if it doesn't really fit you. Also, they stop loaning them out after 5.30pm, so gets yours early and don't be a bike hog. ;) Took a short bike ride to Turtle Village, where there's a supermarket in the basement for snacks, drinks and ice cream.
The stretch of beach is quiet and peaceful. The sand is not powdery white though, so don't come expecting that. The water isn't all that clear either. It was actually nicer to sit in the swings facing the sea and watch the sun set (gorgeous!). The massage hut on the beach charges THB500 for a massage; didn't try it, but this is cheaper than the in-house spa.
I would definitely come back here for the private pool and outdoor shower, and next time I'd be more specific about the direction the villa faces. The staff are generally attentive, although can be hard to wave one down during peak hour meal times. We actually have a nickname for Leo at the restaurant (he's Mr. Smiley to us). Frankly, there's not a lot I can really complain about, it really was a very relaxing stay and I would recommend it to friends and family in a heartbeat.
- Also Known As:
- Sala Phuket Resort And Spa
- Sala Phuket Hotel
- Sala Phuket Mai Khao
- Sala Phuket Hotel Mai Khao
- SALA Phuket Resort & Spa Mai Khao
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SALA Phuket Resort and Spa is a stunning deluxe pool villa resort, featuring private swimming pools in 63 out of 79 rooms, villas, and suites.SALA Phuket boutique resort is an impressive compliment to its popular sister property, SALA Samui. SALA Phuket combines rare historical Sino - Portuguese architecture with modern 5-star facilities.Located on pristine Mai Khao beach on Phuket's northwest shoreline, SALA Phuket resort and spa is just 20 minutes from Phuket International Airport. The famous Blue Canyon Golf Course is a short distance from SALA Phuket and the picturesque Phang Nga Bay is located just 25 minutes away.SALA Phuket is the ideal location for a Phuket wedding and honeymoon with its vast and private pristine golden sand beach and lush beachside lawn surrounded by a coconut tree plantation swaying in the wind.In addition to friendly, professional and personalised service, SALA Phuket luxury resort offers facilities including:- 3 large beachfront swimming pools- World class international beachfront restaurant and bar with an air-conditioned dining option- Award winning SALA Spa- Full equipped Gym, Steam Rooms & Salon- Complimentary Wi-Fi Internet connection throughout the entire resort- Gift Shop- Business traveller services- Entertainment and Theme Nights- Nightly Villa Turn down Service- In-Villa Dining- Miles of untouched beach front, the longest and least developed in Phuket- An array of local activities and excursions are availableWeddings at SALA PhuketMarriage is an occasion that should be cherished always. A variety of locations for your ceremony are available, from golden sand beach stretches, lush green lawn expanses or an intimate sunset rooftop vantage. Our personal, intuitive staff will ensure your special occasion receives the attention it deserves. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Splendia, Agoda, Tingo, Travelocity, Otel, Escapio, HotelTravel.com and Venere so you can book your SALA Phuket Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.