I went to Phuket with two of my best gal friends and decided to stay at the SALA since my friend managed to get good corporate rates for the pool villa.
We arranged transport with the hotel, was picked up promptly on arrival at the airport, and was offered bottled water and cold towels in the car. On arrival, check in was also rather prompt.
The resort is not very big but is well laid out and of a contemporary design. What strikes me most when I entered the villa was the good sized pool, and most importantly it looked clean. The bathroom area also looked very lovely with an outdoor bath tub, an outdoor day bed and a chandelier. The outdoor bathroom looked especially magnificent at night when the chandelier lit up. The outdoor rain shower was also lovely with good water pressure and nice warm water. The size of the villa bedroom was decent, not big but adequate for 3 of us, even after adding an additional single bed. It directly faced the pool and it's very relaxing to lay on the bed in the air-con room and have a nice pool view with sunlight streaming in. Every night, at turndown service, we were given a nice post card of the resort as well as a bottle of chilled fruit tea (we had bale tea, rosella tea and lemon grass) that came along with a small tag explaining the unique qualities of each kind of tea. Complimentary bottled water is provided in the villa.
What I find really inconvenient about the villa is that the WC is outdoors. We were lucky that we had 4 fabulous days of sunshine and no rain, else I will imagine the outdoor toilet floor may get a bit wet as well. There were also quite a number of ants found inside the villa bedroom. Granted that the concept of the villa was to integrate into the surrounds as much as possible, but I think good housekeeping might have been able to keep the ants away. Bedlinen as some other reviewers have mentioned, also have stains on them, but these were promptly changed by housekeeping when we place the 'charm necklace' (indicating that we want change of bedsheets) on the bed. I am also one who fear geckos and insects, so the outdoor concept of the bathroom didn't fit me so well. I stayed away from the outdoor bathtub after I found a gecko inside it on the first night. My other friends didn't seem to mind it so much.
We went to the SALA spa and had the pamper me package which was value-for-money. We also went to the Anantara spa the next day, which was more pricey. The Mandara spa at JW Marriott was also close by.
As other reviewers said, the SALA resort was rather far from the other tourist areas in Phuket, but it didn't bother us too much as we were there just to chill out. The beach was very quiet which was good. Not many people are at the beach and there isn't any beach chair due to the fact that the beach and the resort are part of the conservatory area. The main pool area looked lovely but we didn't use it as it was too full of people sun tanning. The SALA resort also offers yoga classes twice a week. It was a nice experience doing yoga outdoors with nice sea breeze and warm sunshine.
The hotel concierge helped us book a taxi to bring us to Phuket Town Weekend market on Sunday, which was a good 45 min car ride away. My friends really enjoyed the market especially the food section. The fish cakes were really yummy. They also tried a noodle dish and the oyster omelette. We also went to the turtle village on the free Tuk tuk. There is a shop called Ferera (somewhat similar to NaRaYa) that sells bags and handicrafts which make nice souvenirs. There is also a local supermarket which sells some groceries at a slightly marked up price. Otherwise, turtle village was rather disappointing.
We had all our meals at the resort restaurant. Breakfast selection was adequate. I like how we can choose our main dishes and it gets freshly cooked. They served omelettes, rice dishes, congee, waffles, bread pudding etc. Dinner menu was not cheap but quality was fairly good. We tried the signature seafood platter as well as the thai set menu.
All in all, the SALA resort offers a good value for money deal. I don't think it's a 5 star resort, but it's probably one of the better and yet affordable pool villas around in Phuket. If I were to return, it will be to spend more time relaxing at the beach. It is really lovely, quiet and unspoiled. However, the outdoor bathroom does make me think twice about my decision.
- Also Known As:
- Sala Phuket Resort And Spa
- Sala Phuket Hotel
- Sala Phuket Mai Khao
- Sala Phuket Hotel Mai Khao
- SALA Phuket Resort & Spa Mai Khao
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SALA Phuket Resort and Spa is a stunning deluxe pool villa resort, featuring private swimming pools in 63 out of 79 rooms, villas, and suites.SALA Phuket boutique resort is an impressive compliment to its popular sister property, SALA Samui. SALA Phuket combines rare historical Sino - Portuguese architecture with modern 5-star facilities.Located on pristine Mai Khao beach on Phuket's northwest shoreline, SALA Phuket resort and spa is just 20 minutes from Phuket International Airport. The famous Blue Canyon Golf Course is a short distance from SALA Phuket and the picturesque Phang Nga Bay is located just 25 minutes away.SALA Phuket is the ideal location for a Phuket wedding and honeymoon with its vast and private pristine golden sand beach and lush beachside lawn surrounded by a coconut tree plantation swaying in the wind.In addition to friendly, professional and personalised service, SALA Phuket luxury resort offers facilities including:- 3 large beachfront swimming pools- World class international beachfront restaurant and bar with an air-conditioned dining option- Award winning SALA Spa- Full equipped Gym, Steam Rooms & Salon- Complimentary Wi-Fi Internet connection throughout the entire resort- Gift Shop- Business traveller services- Entertainment and Theme Nights- Nightly Villa Turn down Service- In-Villa Dining- Miles of untouched beach front, the longest and least developed in Phuket- An array of local activities and excursions are availableWeddings at SALA PhuketMarriage is an occasion that should be cherished always. A variety of locations for your ceremony are available, from golden sand beach stretches, lush green lawn expanses or an intimate sunset rooftop vantage. Our personal, intuitive staff will ensure your special occasion receives the attention it deserves. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Splendia, Agoda, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Otel, Escapio, HotelTravel.com and Venere so you can book your SALA Phuket Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.