“Excellent Food..but bad wine choid from the Salt Sommelier!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 32 restaurants in Mai Khao
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Located in the Anantara resort (next to the JW Marriott).
Milan, Italy
“Excellent Food..but bad wine choid from the Salt Sommelier!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We decided to eat there during our vacation while visiting the Anantara (we were staying at wonderful Renaissance Resort), we chosed the Sea Menu (6000 THB) for 2.
the food experience was great ..they try to make this little show with the Salt sommelier, but to tell you the truth coming from Italy we were not so impressed. As i said the menu choice was superb, the food was excellent, the only bad thing was the wine included (the menu includes a bollte of wine). the gave us a cheap white wine (Chile Sauvignon) ..and wouldn't never expect that this kind of restaurant have that wine in their canteen (something around 3 eur bottle).
Ok, you taste it, but they don't give really the chance to change.
Remember to complain if you see that the sommelier tries to open something similar.
Of course you have to be ready to spend some money in order to have a great dinner.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
San Jose, California
“Food Poisoning”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed at the JW Marriott in Phuket celebrating our one year wedding anniversary, but wondered off to watch the sunset at the nearby beach next to the Anantara Hotel. It was a beautiful sunset so we decided to try the restaurant at the Anantara, managed by executive chef Justin Maiklem. We ordered the Tom Yum Goong soup and little did we know it was the beginning of a horrible food poisoning experience. Long story short, we called the hotel nurse that night after continuous vomiting and diarrhea, got charged for the consultation and medication. The next day I called Chef Maiklem and asked for a reimbursement for the bad food that we ate (USD$108.00), or at the least a reimbursement for the medical consultation and medication ($25.00). Chef Maiklem was cold, showed no empathy and would not acknowledge the pain and suffering that we experienced. It's people like this Chef that brings a bad name to the business.

Jakarta, Indonesia
“Great Food..Great View...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We decided to dine here after we enjoyed the beautiful sunset near the beach. Before we order the food, the manager of this resto came to our table and explained their special menu that night. My hubby ordered a steak and me ordered a steam fish with rice. Their service was awesome. They served bread complete with butter and so on, while we were waiting for our food. Then came a lady with a few salt samples and explained the function and gave us samples of different salt too. Amazingly the taste of our food became more delicious when we put some salt on it. We love to eat and never afraid to try a new menu every time we come to a new resto. We don't mind to pay more money as long as they give us their best food with the excellent/awesome service. What we love about this place are their hospitality and they always served food with a smile, awesome!!..

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Explosive diarrhea anyone?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I am writing this review from my bed in one of the villas at Anatara Phuket Villas. I am trying to recover from the painful abdominal cramps and explosive diarrhea that I started to experience immediately after dining at Sea Fire Salt.

I went to Sea Fire Salt restaurant for dinner last night after the receptionist raved about the sea salt brick grills at this restaurant ( a fascinating concept). I had water to drink, the pomelo appetizer and the mixed seafood grill salt brick entree. For a restaurant that claims to be 5 star I was a bit disappointed for a number of reasons:

1. I was really excited about learning about the different types of salt from the salt sommelier. Unfortunately he/she never came despite the fact that there was only one other party in the restaurant at the time. Typically, after serving an entree the server will return to the table to make sure everything is ok, if this had happened I would have asked for the salt sommelier. Unfortunately, no one came. I ended up flagging down a server from a different restaurant who happened to be passing by and asked her for SALT. It seems that there was a language barrier because 10 minutes later, after I had finished my meal, someone brought this butter SAUCE to the table. At this point I was full and asking for salt was moot.

2. This is a minor point but before ordering an appetizer I asked the server if the appetizer that I ordered was big or small (I wasn't very hungry). She assured me that it was small but then when it came out it was this huge bowl of salad that was by no means small. The salad was very tasty but at this point that is neither here nor there... I am not sure if this was a language barrier but I think a server should be able to advise about the size of a selection, especially in a 5 star restaurant.

3. The third reason for my dissatisfaction inspired this review--explosive diarrhea! Just to give you a reference i have been in Thailand for 10 days. I have eaten food from the street vendors in Bangkok, gone to restaurants that don't even have English lettering, I have eaten from the night market vendors in Chiang Mai and I have been fine. I eat lots of spicy food and generally have a stomach of steel. Prior to my dinner seating at 9pm, my last meal had been at noon and I was fine. However within a couple of minutes of leaving Sea Fire Salt I got "the urge" so bad that I had to RUN back to my room (heels and all). Then came the painful stomach cramps and the "explosion"

4. I immediately informed management of the incident mentioned above and she was kind enough to send some ginger tea with electrolyte packages to replace lost electrolytes from my bathroom trips. She also apologized profusely and also offered to send a doctor. However she did not once offer to refund any part of my $56 (US dollar) tab for an entree/ appetizer (which is about 10 times more than I have paid for any other meal while in Thailand). I am not complaining about the price, I don't mind paying for fine dining. I do mind paying for food that makes me feel awful.

I do hope that management sorts out the source of the problem and that no one else has to experience what I am currently experiencing. Based on the other reviews on Tripadvisor, my experience was not typical. Go at your own risk. Knowing what I know now, I would save my money and go to Kin Dee restaurant. They deliver and have excellent food, at a fraction of the cost that didn't make me sick...

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Fabulous spot and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We really enjoyed this restaurant and ate there more than once. In fact we had lunch here most days. Check out daily specials as they are usually good value and an excellent choice.

Visited June 2012