“Absolutely Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Mai Khao
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Absolutely Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Anantara for the beginning of our honeymoon, and it was beyond amazing!

All of the staff were lovely and always willing to help out!

The room was beautiful, super clean and excellent little touches like beach bag and thongs to use!

The breakfast was lovely..all the food was very fresh. Room service was also delicious!

My husband and I both loved anantara and would come back in a heartbeat! We got spoilt a little because our accommodation will neverwbe to the standard of Anantara!

Highly highly recommended!!!

• Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Maastricht
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

My husband and I were on holiday in this fantastic resort for the 2nd time, being spoilt travellers we usually don't visit the same resort twice as the world is so big... but we would be more then happy to come back a 3rd time in Paradise !!
Fantastic villas with pool, smiling and warm staff, excellent spa and delicious food in both restaurants.
If you have the opportunity, please don't hesitate and go!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Services and food are excellent in Anantara! It gave us a v good memory of our stay.

Nice room and pool! Just like the photos we saw.

Food is v delicious- both breakfast and dinner! A lot of choices in breakfast buffet. A good place to dine too! My husband and I missed its Tom Yam Goong which is the best so far we have tried.

Considerate and premium services. I ordered specially-made omelet during breakfast buffet two times and forgot to take it. They could recognise my order and brought it to me. We stayed in the room a whole day and requested a late room made up without mentioning the time. During our dinner in La Sala, they were so efficient and considerate to do the made-up which surprised us!

Highly recommend Anantara!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed in Anantara Phuket Villas with my wife and 3 year old son. We really enjoyed ourselves at the nicely appointed villas and was touched by the warm service from the Resort’s staff.

Reservations
I booked the villas directly with the Anantara Phuket villas’ website. I booked at a discounted rate but I paid for the villa upfront without possibility of cancellation.
However, I have some last minute plans to go on a business trip. I called up the Resort and they are able to help me adjust the booking date by 2 days. I am very pleased that they are flexible enough to make the changes for me.

Check-In/Location
I arranged for a pickup by the resort at the airport. Was met by a lady wearing the Anantara uniform and ushered to a Mercedes E-class car with the Anantara logo. The resort is VERY near the airport. Our previous visit to Phuket was to a resort in Khao Lak and I remembered it took like close to an hour. For Mai Khao beach, it is like 15 minutes (maybe even lesser). I don’t even have time to warm up my seat.
The entrance to the resort was manned by a guard and there was a very nice stone-walled doorway. Very impressive and it makes the whole resort feel very exclusive.
All this make the transport from the plane to the resort a complete breeze.
We were given some cold beverages upon arrival. The ‘front desk’ was in a wooden deck over the lagoon. There were many easy chairs where we can sit. My wife handled the check-in while I watched over the kid.
We arrived at the resort at approx 10:30am. We kind of expect that the villa might not be ready and we had packed some gear to maybe spend time at the resort before we checked in. We were told that they are getting our villa ready and will take 20 minutes.
One thing to take note was that they have to charge the card when we checked in for meals and incidentals. This is normal but I remembered that the amount was quite large but we agreed to it.
As we have a young child and he is super active, we asked the resort for some place where we can spend some time while the villa is being prepared. I am familiar that in some hotels/resorts, a ‘twenty minute’ wait can turn to an hour easily. There was a ‘library’ next to the restaurant (La Sala). Wife and son spend some time in there. I took a look at La Sala’s menu and noted that the items seems quite costly (more on that later). There were still guests eating the breakfast when I went to take a look.
Before I know it, the villa is ready. I was very pleased that it was so quick. A very nice staff (her name tag said “Yok”) showed us to our villa. She drove a buggy (my son love it) and we were there before we know it. We are to meet her very often during our stay and she always have a ready smile for us and it is very personable to be greeted by a familiar face.
She showed us the villa and noted a couple of items. There was a flask of the cold beverage that we enjoyed and we can pour and drink if we want. She must have noted that my wife and I liked the beverage and told us that we can ask for more daily if we want. She also pointed out the packet of milk (for coffee) in the mini-bar and told us to ask for more if required (for the kid to drink).
Overall the welcome is superb. It reminded us of our warm welcome at the Anantara Dhigu (in the Maldives) last year.
Villa
We had a “Lagoon-facing” villa (villa 49). Essentially there are four villas our ‘cluster’ with the doors facing a common ‘court yard’ arranged in a square. The two villas nearing the track is the ones which is not Lagoon facing. The two villas nearer to the Lagoon are Lagoon facing. Our villa has a door that can be slide open and we can look at the Lagoon. Honestly, it was closed throughout our stay for privacy. The villa is very nice but the Lagoon is really nothing great.
I really liked the Pool. It was large for a private ‘plunge’ pool. My family spend a lot of time playing in them. The ‘bath-tub’ is actually outdoor right beside the pool.
The Bed is HUGE. All three of us slept in that bed although they setup a ‘day-bed’ for my son which is also of a decent size.
The whole villa looked immaculate. There was some signs of wear and tear but the whole area looks clean. There was also an arrangement on the bed welcoming us to the resort. Honestly, I suspect that the 20 minutes that they ask for is to setup the arrangement or to make sure that the villa is immaculate and I appreciate the effort.
Getting Around the Resort
The resort has bicycles (first come first serve) where we can hope on and cycle around. My son is too young to ride one and I ask him to stand in front of me while I push with my legs.
The resort is small enough that everyone can walk but having a bicycle is faster. We also make use of the buggy service. There was on guy (name tag “Pooh”) that was really friendly. Pooh and all of the buggy drivers are very polite and efficient. After calling for a buggy, they will come and ring our door bell when they are here. Very nice. My son love the buggy rides and the drivers indulge him by letting him ride in front next to the driver. Really appreciate it.
There was one thing to take note though, there are some staff trying to sell the Anantara Vacation Club packages. If we attend a 90 minute presentation, we have a whole suite of benefits including spa vouches. Wife and I did not take it up as we did not want to waste our time. We also have a kid and it is not feasible to bring him along and we don’t want one of us to go and leave the other alone with the kid.
The staff does keep asking us when they see us if we had registered for the presentation each time we walked pass. They were always polite and non-pushy though. Something to take note.

Surroundings and Turtle Village
The resort is in a cluster consisting of two other resorts. Marriott Vacation Club and Anantara Vacation Club. There is also a ‘mall’ called Turtle Village. All properties within easy walking distance. We had all our meals at the Turtle Village. There is also a mini-mart where we bought some stuffs. Very convenient.

Fitness Center/Kids club/Main Pool
Our intent is to relax and not go island hopping and so on as we have a young child. The villa and its pool is large already for us to be entertained.
The fitness center, kids club and resort pool are in a cluster at the deepest end of the resort nearest to the beach. There is also a restaurant there with a pool bar.
The fitness center was pretty decent. There were quite a few cardio machines and also some free weights. Wife and I worked out daily when we were there.
The Kids club is very small and basic. I guess there wasn’t much kids and it was not very crowded. There was a TV (showing cartoon network) and some toys. It was a good place for us to spend some time with the kid while the other spouse work out.
The Pool is very nice, we were there in the morning after breakfast and is always very empty. I was there a couple of times in the afternoon and it still does not look overly crowded. I think the resort is small/exclusive enough to not have a large crowd.
Spa
Wife and I tried the spa, I had a therapist called “Oil” (I know I clarified and it was her name). I tried the Swedish Massage and my wife tried the Thai massage. Was pretty good. Oil is skillful and have good language skills which makes the whole experience very good.
I tried the Thai Massage with another therapist and it was so-so only. Didn’t get the therapist name. She was also very quiet and didn’t say much and I think her language skill is not as good.
Breakfast
We had daily breakfast at La Sala. The high point is the fresh fruits!!! Very fresh, juicy and sweet. The other stuff like pan cakes, bacon and so on are standard hotel breakfast fare. It is nice but not fantastic. The selection is very board though and I think most people can find things that they will like.
Check-out
We enjoyed ourselves so much that it was really sad to leave. The check-out process was seamless too. There were people who helped us with our luggage and the car was also there right on time.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely go back there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

luxury, comfort, exclusiveness, privacy and beauty all rolled into one. we were lucky to go there on a special offer because the rates are very high but we could see that if you can afford it please consider staying at Anantara Phuket Villas. situated in Mai Khao away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of Phuket means aside from a few other 5 star resorts there isn't much else around but with your own pool villa and a selection of excellent restaurants in the vicinity, ideal for a few days of relaxation and serenity. Top class service

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Great
- Very different kind of luxury. Most of the typical "luxury" hotels follow same stereotype of the artificial “poshness”. Excessive decor, fancy for the sake of fancy, blah-blah-blah. Maybe some people like it but I find it boring and uncomfortable. Anantara somehow feels very cosy, unobtrusive, tranquil, featuring very own style.
- This is not a hotel with nice spots of greenery, it is a hotel _inside_ beautiful landscape garden. Army of staff keeps working round the clock maintaining its pristine sate.
- Staff is mostly great, some of them just good. Never had any major reasons to complain.
- Not crowded at all. I was staying at the end of October and it never felt busy, neither by the pool nor at the restaurants or around the beach.

Not so great
- Staff rides those electric club cars from very early morning. Those are noisy enough to wake you up.
- Obviously the beach is some kind of national reserve and no one can build anything on it, but having an alley along the edge of the hotel with few benches to enjoy watching that big red burning ball of light going down into the sea, that would be great.

Ugly
- Anantara Vacation Club. Avoid at any cost. Sales presentation is not only a waste of time but also would not pass typical European consumer sales regulations. I.e. "best offer if you buy today only", "we cannot show you a legal contract wording if you are not serious about joining".

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hannover, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Anantara Phuket Villas was our "home away from home" for three wonderful days. The property us so well kept by the grounds staff. All the staff are so polite and say hello to you whenever you cross paths. The Sala Pool Villa we had was just perfect for us and our daughter. We loved having a private pool in case we did not feel like going to the beach or the resort pool. Every day the staff dropped off lovely edible treats for us - so thoughtful! The resort pool area is so well thoughtout. The lounging beds set over water were especially neat. And the breakfast! Wow! Anything you could possibly want was waiting for you every morning. I could have eaten it for all three meals. We will definitely be returning to The Anantara.

Room Tip: The villas are spread out, so if you want something near the beach, make sure to ask. Our villa was...