“So Relaxing!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cape Otway Cottages
615 Hordern Vale Road, Hordern Vale, Victoria 3238, Australia   |
“So Relaxing!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I recently stayed in the Grass Trees Cottage for 10 nights and it was fantastic. It was secluded and very private, there was no people knocking at 9am for house-keeping or noisy neighbours. My 2 dogs loved the property, the bush supplied great exercise for them and they didn't have to be on leash. They were also supplied with a dog bed and dog bowls with a couple of treats each. The spa is the perfect touch after a long day doing nothing. The fire-place would be nice but I could not get it to stay lit (city girl). The kitchen was great, everything that I needed was there, except for normal tongs I couldn't find any. The location of this property is beautiful, 20mins to Apollo Bay, 30mins to Johanna Beach (NOT safe for swimming but is dog friendly year round) and various spots/waterfalls/activities in the Otway National Park. Unfortunately the weather wasn't the best so I was stranded in the cabin for a few days which was fine since there is a TV & DVD player. I never met the manager but all my enquiries were dealt with and replied to within an hour which was nice. I will definitely stay here again and I highly recommend this property to anyone wanting a quiet, secluded place.
Tip: A 4WD would be easier for access to this property

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My partner and I have been looking everywhere for a private cottage with a spa and fire which is pet friendly. We were very excited to find Otway Cottages. However, I then sent two email enquiries and received no response. I called and spoke to Sharon who booked us in and requested I call back in a few days to pay the 50% deposit. I called back as requested and no one answered so I left a voicemail message. It is now two weeks later, and after numerous calls by both myself and my partner, as well as several voicemail messages (both mobile and landline), no one has returned our calls. Very disappointed, terrible service. We will be looking elsewhere instead. To clarify, I have not stayed here. This is a review of my customer service experience only.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon C, Manager at Cape Otway Cottages, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
We thank-you for your feedback, and I am sorry you have not been able to contact us.

I actually have tried calling back the mobile number (left on voicemail) a couple of times, however when I call it tells me that "this phone is not currently accepting calls from this service". This means I cannot leave you a voice message, so I'm a bit perplexed as to why I cannot get through on your mobile. I do not have any emails on record (nor have I received any) so have not been able to email you either.

Once again I do sincerely apologise for your disappointing experience and frustration.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed in July 2013 with our 2 dogs. The accommadation is ok but very overpriced for what you get. If you want total seclusion then you have it. It was an effort though to get to the nearest beach ( 25 mins) drive at Johanna or Apollo Bay around (30 mins) drive for the dogs to play.There is plenty of area for the dogs to walk on the property. In hindsight we would have stayed at Apollo Bay for the easier access.

We stayed at Moonrise cottage for 7 nights and it was comfortable enough. However the service was lacking. We would have appreciated a change of linen and towels during that time. The cottage is cosy for 2 but there are some safety issues regarding the fire. The late tiles are loose at the front and the safety glass is in need of repair. Little things like kitchen light not working, outdated TV system meant we marked this experience lower than others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Steve,

We thank-you for your review and feedback.

I am very sorry to hear you were not 100% with your stay in MoonRise Cottage.

With regards to the location of our property it is quite clearly indicated on our website and in our email enquiry replies (with maps) where we are located as well as information on pet friendly beaches in the area etc. Most guests that stay choose our property because of this complete seclusion and privacy, allowing them to escape from the world.

We strive to give our guests privacy and space during their stay and for weekly bookings do not service our cottages as guests are able to wash their towels etc in the laundry facilities in the cottage. Most guests are more than happy to do this and enjoy/prefer their privacy. We would have been more than happy to come and offer a linen service had you of contacted us.

I will pass on your feedback to the cottage owner about the TV, maintenance issues etc, these comments are greatly appreciated and will be taken into consideration/actioned.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We decided to escape to the Otway Ranges for a few days away and WOW!!! what an amazing place we found at Cape Otway Cottages.

From the moment we spoke to Sharon the manager who was lovely to the moment we walked into the cottage with lovely lamps on and the cottage all warm and toasty we were in heaven!

We find the few negative reviews on here very very hard to believe as we could not fault the service and standard of the accommodation! The cleanliness of the cottage for a pet friendly property was second to none.

We cannot wait to escape down there again one day!

Room Tip: We stayed in MoonLight Cottage and is was lovely with a view across the hills.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Moonrise cottage which was fabulous. Very secluded with no one around. The cottage was very clean with fresh towels, chopped wood, bread making and breakfast supplies ready for the first morning. We never saw or heard from owner. When we arrived the key was in the door ready to go.
Having our car under a carport was great as well
The location is perfect for exploring the great ocean road and twelve apostles. We loved all the bird life and koala,s that came to visit.
Would definitely recommend!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The cottage and settings were absolutely lovely! Great escape into nature, and we loved the secluded location. Amazing setting and perfect for just a romantic getaway or for a small group of friends. Loved all of the inclusions - from a breadmaker (and all supplies), to a cozy fireplace, BBQ, heaters, hot tub (spa), and even windchimes! The place was very tidy and and had all amenities needed for a rustic weekend. Great place for hiking, bushwalking and not even too far from Apollo Bay should you want to sneak in a beach trip. All in all, very comfy, cosy and can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I pre booked 6 nights with full payment. I am a business woman on my own with two pooches. I arrived and could not switch on Foxtel, there was no signal. The BBQ didn't switch on. Two windows in the cottage had blinds removed, the spa and the bathroom, made me very uncomfortable. The cottage was dated and needed repairs. I checked out 24 hours after arrival. I left voicemail to management one hour after arrival for assistance, they claim they didn't receive. Then sent email to express my disappointment and let them know I had checked out and they didn't have decency to even respond. Would not recommend to anyone. Very over rated and unprofessional management.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Cape Otway Cottages? Share your experiences!