“No TV!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hordern Vale B&B and Inns
Sevilla
“No TV!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

If you like American Hotels with a room service menu, a piano bar, and a 64 channel TV in your room, don't stay here. If you like peace, stunning views, great food, really attentive and personal service, and the odd Koala, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Susie and Golly truly create the best holiday adventure you will ever have.
Both my wife and I have travelled all over the world and have never come
across people so friendly. The food was magnificent and the walk just to
die for, but what made it all was Susie and Golly. If you really want to live
life then head to Aire Valley Guest House. Truly the best.

Room Tip: All rooms are very comfortable with opening french doors to the beautiful balcony. Quiet and peacefu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

When I travel, which I do all the time, I seldom book ahead or know what I'm going to be doing from one hour to the next.... so, having spent a joyous afternoon at "Opera in the Otways", imagine how surprised I was when I was driving along the road, was forced to stop the car right outside of Aire Valley due to a meandering koala hogging the centre part of the highway, noticed their invitiing 'organic' sign that I would otherwise have missed if driving by at 100 kph - on the basis that they offered both accommodation as well as food, both of which I was in search of (it already being 7pm), it seemed cherlish not to investigate - that when I stepped inside Dimitri (the waiter) announced, "bonjour - it's YOU from the opera!" Yes, I had been blissfully unaware that I had been sitting right next to Dimitri and Susie (the owner) during the extravaganza, whistfully lost in the music with my eyes shut (not just due to the excellent local wine!) - Susie showed me a video where I had been captured as part of the ambient surrounds - listening to "Pecan Summer" extracts, an opera composed by an aborigine about the Stolen Generation (1910 - 1970), apologised for by the Ozzie government in 2008... all very moving and very beautiful. I was warmly invited into the dining area, shown my room, and opted to take a Gin & Tonic out on the balcony, musing on the day's activities as the sun began to set. To say I was contented is somewhat of an understatement. Definitely 'ye olde world' springs to mind - no supermarket in site (just the organic vegetable garden that is mandatory in order to have the kitchen licence, but the size of the hectare patch gave a strong hint that the 'mandatory' bit wasn't actually needed), no motorway sounds in the distance, just sheep gently grazing in nearby fields that swoop down to the coast - this was a colonial-style house warmed to its heart with the loving attendance of Susie, an exceptional breadmaker of 25 years (that's how old she's had her sourdough culture), the laughter from her charming your children, the fire roaring in the front room, and the unexpected French country cuisine: simple, delightful, and delicious. Again, all washed down with the local tipple (I tried two - both to be highly recommended), I was satisfied with my fill, when Susie joined me at my table to keep me company... a particularly engaging lady, who understands when you travel alone, it's nice to have a chat occasionally. We whiled away the next hour or so before I was instructed to have a lie-in in the morning and not to worry about being up early like the other guests - I dutifully folllowed my orders, took a deep sleep in the mountainuos fresh air, and swanned through at 9a.m. after an invigorating shower to a filling, sumptuous breakfast with all the trimmings. It was difficult to break the tie, but I had to move on as there was still a lot to see for the rest of the day... I can't say it was the cheapest joint I've every stayed in, but if you asked if I'd pay the money again, absolutely I would. You see, it's all about value, and Susie's joint has plenty of it - I spent on one night dinner, bed and breakfast at Susie's, with a warm welcome, what I'd spent the night before in one of those big hotel chains in Melbourne just for bed, without the personal attention. The only reason I selected 'very good' rather than 'excellent' above is that I believe in the basic principle that there is always room for improvement, although I couldn't spot the opportunity here... maybe a pool?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sankt Englmar, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in this charming guest house and were treated to delicious gourmet meals -ingredients mostly direct from the kitchen garden. The Garden Room room was decorated in simple cottage style with a wonderfully comfy bed and spectacular views to Castle Cove. The main living room, with its large open fireplace, was a great place to relax and enjoy the views. After a day of walking, exploring and great outdoors, this was a terrific retreat, with home comforts and classy food. We'll be back for more!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

spent a couple days here just before Easter,and found the location to be ideal to explore the parks,fish,surf,or just relax and read a book.The host Susie was charming without being overbearing,the room was old cottage style but everything worked except no TV,phone,internet,just sublime!Would suggest an in house dinner as all the ingredients come from the garden and have some interesting combinations.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

My walking partner--we were walking the Great Ocean Walk during the day--and I stayed two nights here. Perched up on a hill, it is a beautiful bed and breakfast. My room was simple, nicely decorated with a plush bed. The fire in the common room was always aflame and the food--gourmet and homemade--was a nightly adventure. The second night, the proprietress, Suzy, served up rabbit. Never had it before, but very tasty. Suzy was always helpful and friendly. A great place to stay, right off the Great Ocean Road, and not far from the Otway Lighthouse.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

My partner and I were lucky enough to stay at this beautiful guest house for 2 nights while doing the Great Ocean Walk. After a day of hiking it was a most lovely sight. The property is gorgeous and the rooms are spectacular, especially with the large balcony surrounding the house. We stayed in the corner room and had spectacular views of the valley from our bed.

But what made our day was the warm welcome we got from Suzie. She really is something special and her stamp was on everything on the property. She is warm, kind, diplomatic and totally understands what her guests want. And her food was outstanding - 3 courses each night, each course absolutely delicious. Our first night we had blinis with horseradish & smoked salmon, followed by trout caught in the pond on the property and then a tastey dessert. All I could say is "wow" after a hard day of hiking. I don't think we could ever go back to staying in campsites. Suzie has convinced us that this is the way to do bush walking.

We will definitely be back - hopefully for more than 2 days. Staying here has got to be the best way to relax.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Aire Valley Restaurant and Guest House? Share your experiences!