“Paradise in Gods own Country” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kappil Beach, Bekal 671319, India   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bekal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Paradise in Gods own Country”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed here for 3 Nights in the month of August. The hotel is indeed a paradise in the country of Gods. I wanted a Plunge room, but due to nonavailability, had to settle in a Tower room, though I was shifted the next day.

This resort indeed beats all your expectations and proves out to be far more than what you expect. The tower rooms provide a amazing view of the backwater and the sea. The Balcony has a large swinging divan, where you can simply spend the whole of your evening, provided someone helps you with the swings, which in my case was my three year old kid :). The food was just "all right" though the service was excellent and the staff ever friendly. The staff will go out of their way to help you with every minor needs that you may have. But this I can definitely say is a usual Taj signature.

I was a bit disappointed though as the hotel does not support all dongle networks, though this made my better half and kid quite happy!!! And in the evening you get nothing to do except spend time in the room or the restaurant.

But daytime was fun and the Plunge room more than makes up for any grudges you may have. The SPA as boasted by them is the biggest SPA in this part of the world and it does seem to be, being on a sprawling 2 and half acres.

It was a lifetime experience, and we liked the resort so much that we never bothered to visit the nearby Bekal fort too. The drive from Kasargod to Bekal is amazing and at this time of year the only visible color was GREEN.

A must visit, if you have a three day holiday for relaxing and rejuvenating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Taj Bekal, is one property I would ask all my friends to go and I have been doing it. "HOSPITALITY" was at the best from the time we checked in till the time we checked out. We stayed in a Deluxe Room with a Plunge Pool and I must say that this room is a definite must if you are staying in this property. The photos uploaded here by other traveler's do not deceive you and you'll find more than that when you visit this place. Mr. Gopal Jayaraman, the Executive Chef took special care and made sure we carried packed breakfast when we were checking out early morning which greatly helped us on our road trip back to Chennai.
Bottomline, this place is the best for a peaceful vacation and I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Go in for a Deluxe room with a plunge pool if you need more privacy. Else a Premium Indulge Room wit...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed there from the 24th till the 27th....of Aug..with my family and friends....We were given a room...421....stiniking of Garbage smell outside the entrance to our room,which they are very much aware of....No apologies....Is it Taj?.....
My friends stayed in room 423...,would you believe that stray dogs just roam around the room and infact my friend once entering his so called private villa,found the dog sleeping over the squared matress on the swing outside?.....Pointed out to the manager Mr.Seral Nair....No convincing reply?.
My daughter wanted to get a DVD to watch a movie and i called up the reception,and the reply was,come here and get it?.Is it Taj?....
Food was average and not of Taj standards.

Now had a talk with the so called duty manager,Mr.Seral Nair,and he was fantastically defending his team for all the above ,and so i strongly feel he deserves a promotion!....Hats of to you guys....Lets see how far the management in the Tak head office would take this negative feedbacks?....

Also surprisingly,no responses for any reviews written on the tripadvisor,from anyone from the Htl side?.....

Now,i believe it is a property owned by Khanna group and managed by Taj?,,,,is this the reason it is absolutely hopeless frm the regular what we know of Taj group?....

I am sorry,others who wud want to visit there,guys u have a choice nearby,the LALIT RESORTS,PLEASE GIVE IT A TRY,ATLEAST GO THRU THE REVIEWS OF LALIT ON TRIPADVOSR,U WILL SEE THE GM'S REPLY TO ALMOST ALL THE REVIEWS....

I SINCERELY HOPE THE TAJ HEAD OFFICE WOULD SERIOUSLY TAKE STOCK OF THE PATHETIC, UNPROFESSIONAL SITUATION,AT THE TAJ BEKAL,KERALA....

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Happened to Dine in recently in Latitude on the eve of Onam. The Buffet spread was awsome with over two dozens of Onam special delicacies and again some more regular veg and non-veg spread and a dozen desserts. Special thanks to Chief Executive Chef Mr Gopal for setting up the same.
also do try their Special Mocktails at the bar next to Latitude.

Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Just as the plane touched down at the Mangalore ariport, it started to drizzle and this set the tone for the vacation. Colour me biased, but i do believe that the best time to visit most places is in the monsoon and Kerala turns particularly pretty in the rains. Bekal is a sleepy lil coastal village in the northern part of Kerala that celebrates the unhurried pace of life. At the minimum plan a 4N5D trip to maximize on the relaxation quotient that Bekal offers.
The drive from Mangalore to Bekal is about 2 hours and my recommendation is to take a pre-paid taxi at the airpot than prebook one with the hotel. When you book a taxi with the hotel, the cost is almost double and this is an unnecessary expense can be put to better use at the spa :) Most cab drivers know the route to vivanta and there are plenty of signboards to direct you to the hotel.
This relatively young property of Taj is stunning and beautifully designed. The highlight for me is the beach that is a just 3 minutes from the property. Monsoon puts the sea in a dangerous mood and watching the sea roar and bite is therapy in itself.
Superb hospitality is a given at any Taj property, but I must add a mention of the simply fabulous team at Bekal who go out of their way to make you feel pampered..allowing you to make the most of your stay with them. Check in and Checkout was quick and effortless. Book a room opening into a garden with view of the backwaters. The sit out is perfect to sip a cup of coffee watching the rains or reading a book on the big swing bed while you hear the rustle of the breeze.
The property has a coffee shop where most of the meals are served. Every meal includes a delicacy of the region and the F&B team will prepare additional local dishes on request. So even if the in-room dining menu doesn't have something that interests you, the chef and his team will put together a meal suiting your preference. It is this attitude of the Taj team at Bekal that makes your vacation extra special.
For all those who like their coffee strong and potent, skip the filter coffee. Either ask for a cappuccino [their blend of espresso is good] or ask for a regular strong coffee..but stress on the words strong a few times.
Pencil in sometime for a visit to the Bekal fort and if you are up for a lil more activity then ask the hotel to arrange for day trip to a plantation for some added local flavor. For the more active traveler, the property offers kayaking and fishing trips.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view of the back waters and a private sit out opening into the garden. There real...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Usually you cannot go wrong with Taj hotels and this is not an exception either. The property is really nice and well maintained.
Room: We took the most basic room, but that was also quite big, comfortable and with a balcony.
Beach: Beach is quite private and easily accessible.
Pool: It's a bit small, but good enough for quick dip and kids.
Spa: The spa is quite good - had a great deep muscular massage that was refreshing after a long drive.
Location: This is not near the mainstream Kerala attractions, but certainly a good place to get away from daily routine and pamper yourself.
I would definitely recommend this for everyone who want a nice, stress-free and relaxing vacation. This is not for you if you plan to do lot of sightseeing around Kerala.

Room Tip: I heard the rooms with plunge pool are quite nice. To save money, the basic rooms are good too.
Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I took a while to come up with the header. Here's all you need to know.

BTW, If you are just looking for places in Kerala, drop this and pick the Kumarakom Taj. Hands Down.

Pros:
- Easy accessibility. Good roads, hard to miss the property
- Backwaters and a Beach. Its all very pretty.
- Good Ala-Carte food. Limited choices for a vegetarian, but good.
- Taj is very good on its promises. 20% off and F&B does mean what it says. 10% off due to being a Gold Inner circle member gives 10% off and that really means what it says. I didn't come across a "*conditions applied and you missed it" kind of clauses. I respect them for that.
- Good Buffet breakfast

Cons:
- Too many buildings too close to each other. It feels crowded even if it isn't.

- Service is sloppy. Most often its just plain annoying.
----- Plates weren't cleared until someone showed up with the next day's meals. They ask when they could show up, and they never do. Calling them up doesn't help either. Waiters were sloppy. We had to constantly scan them just to get some water. Aargh!
----- Housekeeping was sloppy. They'd always miss re-stocking something or cleaning something. Every time our room was done, we were left wondering if it was a Taj after all. Not like them to not do things to a T.

- Most of the staff doesn't seem to believe in the concept of a shared tipping.
----- I strongly do. Even those who work in the background get a piece. Taj Kumarakom enforces it and they made me a believer. They'd just refuse individual tips.Out here though, everyone expects one and they pick it up happily.

- Lower rooms with the private sit-out have too much of a moisture build-up.
---- Buildings are far too close and these rooms barely get any sunlight since they are placed lower than the ground level. I constantly felt as though I've just moved into a construction site and into a room which has been sprayed wet for the cement to set. At first I assumed it was because of the monsoons, but none of the other areas felt that dank.

- My room had an annoying phone.
---- It beeps the peace out of your sleep just for the kicks. It just goes on and off with these semi-beeps and half rings and and it does that randomly. What is wrong with that phone?! What is it trying to tell me?

- Both the staff and property are new.
---- Which means they're still trying to get their mojo. Call them up and often, you'll hear 'Let me check with my manager". They are very inconsistent with their hospitality too. When we checked-in, we were swarmed by 5 of the staff, handing out welcome drinks, getting us seated on a sofa, asking about our journey and getting forms filled out and so on. While I left, I was standing by the counter waiting for the biller to finish. The letters 'W-T-H' silently floated in my head while I did so.

- Average Buffet Meals
---- Nothing which will tease your taste buds. Nothing which will make you go back for seconds. Its just food you live with. I'd take the a-la-Carte food over buffet every time.

I don't think I'll return. Although I still prefer Taj over others when it comes to vacations, I don't think this particular place has left much to get back to.

Room Tip: Do not chose the private sit-out rooms. They are priced a notch above their basic rooms, but they ar...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Vivanta by Taj Bekal? Share your experiences!