“Good hotel but isolated and with some serious problems” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Eix Lagotel

You added Eix Lagotel to your Saves list
Eix Lagotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Circuit del Llac s/n | Urbanizacion las Gaviotas, 07458 Playa de Muro, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel but isolated and with some serious problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I stayed at the Lagotel for a week in August with my teenage son. This was our first visit to Majorca, and also of staying at an all-inclusive hotel. In some ways this is a great family hotel, but there are some problems, one or two being serious.

First impressions - enormous modern hotel complex with 6 pools, rather isolated location by a lake and the hospital. If you're looking for a clean lively family hotel, huge pools and almost limitless food and drink with the all-inclusive option, Lagotel has much to offer. If you're looking for attractive surroundings, peace and quiet, interesting architecture, good shopping nearby and sight seeing, look elsewhere! The man at reception who greeted us was unfortunately far from friendly, and quite abrupt in manner. He asked for our passports and then said he was keeping my passport. When I asked why, I was told the details would be sent to the police and I wouldnt have my passport back until the following morning. I haven't had my passport taken by a hotel receptionist before, so found this strange. I stayed in Spain a few months ago in a one-star hotel, and wasn't asked for my passport then, so its not down to being in another country.

Room and hotel staff

We had a suite comprising of a large living room with balcony, kitchenette with fridge, sink, microwave and electric hob; large bedroom with single beds and another balcony, and split bathroom with one room containing the sink, leading into another room with the bath/power shower and wc. The maid service comes every day to clean and tidy the room, and change towels if required. Beds were completely changed once in the seven days of our stay. Generally our rooms were kept very clean, and I never saw any ants or other insects.

There is air conditioning, which wasn't switched on when we arrived so the room was very hot. Not the best environment to greet you after a long day's travelling! I switched the air conditioning on, and it worked for a couple of hours then fizzled out. To cut a long story short, in which i had to go to reception twice and also speak to the excellent First Choice rep Mark, it transpired that the balcony doors had to be closed in a particular way or else the air con would be cut off. After some training with this by a more helpful receptionist, we had no further problems with the air con.

I thought the food was outstandingly good in the restaurant. A huge variety of good quality food is made available in buffet-style at breakfast, lunch and dinner times, and changes are made every day so it does not become repetitive. Definitely one of the most enjoyable features of the hotel, it was quite difficult sometimes to exercise restraint as one delicious course followed another - all in your own control!

The food available in the snack bars by the pool was of course far more limited, but also delicious - we enjoyed our hot dogs, burgers and pizzas there. Unlike the restaurant, food is available at the snack bars throughout most of the day, whereas at the restaurant there are time limits. In addition to the food, a wide range of drinks are available, including tea, coffee, hot chocolate, juices, slush puppies, pepsi, fizzy orange, etc. Every day ice creams are available in the bar, and also in the restaurant.

I have read some quite scathing reviews of the food on here, and can only conclude that the quality must have improved since then.

Pools

We didn't make much use of the huge pools, but they seemed clean enough. It was not always possible to obtain a sunlounger because many people "booked" them by placing their towels on the sunloungers. The hotel advises that residents cannot book sunloungers by doing this, and that staff will remove towels left on sunloungers, but I never saw staff doing this and it was clear people were taking advantage of the hotel's slack policing. Its not really a serious problem, but it is irritating.

Entertainment

Our room overlooked the pool, so was directly above the bar area where every night entertainment took place until midnight or 1am. Even with the doors shut, this was very noisy indeed, almost forcing us to go down to watch the entertainment whether we liked it or not. I would say the entertainment wasn't bad, fairly average. I did wonder though whether a Rod Stewart tribute singer, Beatles tribute band and another 70s tribute band are likely to appeal to most of the hotel's resdients who seemed to be young families with parents in their 30s/early 40s. I know the music but I'm in my 50s!

Insects

Several reviews refer to problems with mosquito bites at Lagotel because it is situated by a lake. I am particularly susceptible to bites, but fortunately neither of us were bitten during our week at the Lagotel despite the unusually hot weather. Not sure whether this was because our room overlooked the pool instead of the lake, or whether it was because of the insect repellant we sprayed on each day! I also used one of those plug-in insect repellants in the bedroom, which you can buy from amazon.

Unattended children

Several reviews have referred to unruly kids running about the hotel, which wouldn't normally particularly bother me, but the extent of this at Lagotel is more than I have seen before. Some of these unattended children are very young indeed eg about 5 or 6 years of age. On our second day at the hotel, one tiny little boy of about 4 or 5 seemed to be spending the entire day going up and down in the lift on his own, from the ground floor to the sixth floor. This is despite a sign in the lift, and also in the hotel's own welcome pack, that children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

There are a great many young children running about the hotel on their own, mostly in twos or threes, but sometimes alone, with no parent in sight. I am not sure why this is happening, but wondered if it had something to do with alcohol being available from 10am onwards and that the parents were, quite literally, too drunk to notice. Another incident I noticed was a mother pushing a toddler in a pushchair, with the child unsecured. The child fell out onto the path which runs outside the bar, and the mother reached down to the screaming child and literally threw him back into his seat, again unsecured, before roughly pushing the chair away again.

Clearly not all of this is the hotel's fault, but it is their fault that they are not policing the rule that children must be accompanied by an adult at all times. In the light of the Madeleine McCann tragedy, in which her parents were strongly criticised for leaving her unattended in their apartment whilst they ate at a restaurant within sight of the apartment, this problem at Lagotel should perhaps be taken rather more seriously than appears the case at present.

The hotel has at least three entrances I can think of, one at the front, and two at the back, none of which are secure. Hotel staff are clearly not acting in loco parentis, and nor are the First Choice reps apart from those involved in the kids club, so quite who some Lagotel parents think are looking after their very young kids when they aren't is anybody's guess!

The Area

Apart from the beautiful sandy beaches, there isn't a great deal to see in the immediate location of Lagotel. The hotel is a bit cut-off. On the walk down to the beach there are a great many shops but nearly all of these are beach/tourist shops full of beachwear, inflatables, sunglasses, toys, and of course food and confectionary. Several expensive excursions are offered by the hotel reps, and most of them are to attractions near the airport at Palma, about an hour away. If you decide to go on these, you can ask reception for a packed lunch the day before your excursion. We did this when we went to Marineworld, which was enjoyable if excessively busy. The hotel reps were especially plugging an excusion to see a show called Pirates.

Conclusion

Would I go to Lagotel again? Although I enjoyed our week and loved the food, I probably wouldn't stay there again. The hotel is clean, fun and for the most part, well run, but doesn't entirely make up for the sum of its negatives - the isolated position, noisy and rather dull entertainment, lack of sunbeds or policing of their occupation, lack of policing of unattended kids, and drunken residents.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ricardeix, e-commerce at Eix Lagotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Hola
Thanks for your long review of the Lagotel.
We see mostly you are very happy with our service and this makes us happy.
About childrens, we understand we cannot supplant the parents.
Abot passport, it is compulsory in spain to get the passport details of every guest and put them in a database for the police. They don't use this for anything unless something happens.
Because we have more than 100 guests, we don't take the details at the moment, we take them with some delay, only because of this we keep the passport for aprox 24 hours.
best regards

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Polish first
cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

another successful holiday - 8 of us in total went - 2 kids and 6 adults. There was something for everyone. We loved it. All inclusive is the way to go. We found the staff pleasant - if bar staff were a little more friendly they may have got more tips. Our room overlooked the pool - the run for the sunbeds every morning was so funny to watch. No need to run as there are plenty of beds for everyone as there is another pool across the road (salt water pool). The food is geared towards kids but if they are fed and happy the adults will eat anything - choice was good. The free shuttle bus to the town is a huge bonus but the walk to the town is only 15 minutes. Again the highlight of the holiday is the entertainment crew. Fabian, Lana, Dave and Concha are fantastic. Sarah's hobby club was a hit with my daughter. Dave had a soccer group which my son enjoyed. Overall we had a great time - it attracts a friendly family client.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ricardeix, e-commerce at Eix Lagotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Muchas gracias for your nice review.
We hope to see you again in the future.
best regards
Alcudia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Me and my family loved the Lagotel Hotel. We all had a fantastic time there. The kids loved playing in the pools and having food on tap as we paid to go all inclusive. The food in the restaurant was lovely. There was a great choice of food at breakfast, dinner and at tea time. There is something for everyone. The only negative was having to queue up at 10am in order to get a sun lounger. However, this is not the fault of any of the staff as they were all extremely helpful and polite. Mark the First Choice rep was absolutely hilarious and he had us in stitches at out arrival meeting. I do recommend the excursion to Marineland and Western Waterpark. We split the day in half and it was well worth the money. The dolphin and sea lion show was fantastic and at the water park there were hardly and queues and my two boys loved the park a lot!! We all had a fantastic time at the hotel and we would definitely stay there in the future.

Gracias
Hope to see you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

To put it simply, the hotel is airy, clean, bright and well equiped for all inclusive guests. The staff are very cheerful and professional and Fabien( the main compare) for most evenings was entertaining, (crackling jokes and integrating with the audience frequently).

There are 6 swimming pools! 3 are salt water! Very clean, bright and the shallow and deep ends are easliy accessible. One issue that so many other resorts have is that sunbeds are resevered unafirly by placing towels on them early in the am , yet this doesn't happen at Lagotel! You can't enter the pool area before 10 am. However there is at 9:30 (by very eager guests) a long queue outside the swimming pool gates and by 10 am or so they run as the gates open to get a bed! However, this is better than allowing early rising guests to reserve the beds. Also, myself and my family wouldn't queue and would go to the pool after 10 30 and still get a set of beds.

The eveing entertainment for the children is a mini disco at 8:30 which plays 5-8 songs repeated very night for the kids to learn the words and follow the actions. It can become too much after one week ( repeatative) but the kids loved it!

The food was varied,tastly, cooked properly, fresh and excting to see what was next. You never got the same meal twice!

However, the one thing that did disappoint the family was the kids club provision. There was a very clear limited set number of places! This was a surprise and disapointing as we booked the resort primarily for the kids club. On 3 occassions my daugter and I queued up for a club date and the places ran out. Granted, the fee paying dates you had to sign up the day before at 5pm. (some kids club dates you paid for it if included a party). However, it was not a great holiday vibe when your 7 year old who is wearing a club Tshirt , hat, and water botttle;all given to children under 13 on ther first day, is turned away 3 times! The staff were lovely, professional and polite when they explained that they have a certain mumber of staff and this changes day to day, so the number of club places alters! So we had to be 15 mins earlyto get a place or sign her in on paid events which worked out FINE in the end. I just think that you can't assume that the kids club provision can cater for ALL chn who attend.

But a part from this we had a wonderful 2 week stay and enjoyed the great bingo, tennis, mini golf and water volleyball offered at LAGOTEL!

Thankyou
Satsue from Essex!

Room Tip: The maids were very clean and quick with the room cleaning! Towels were changed very day too.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Gracias
We liked your nice and realistic review.
hope to see you again.
st helens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

we went here in august 2011 in total there was 6 adults and 7 kids this was a very good hotel with very little to fault when arriving the reception staff were very helpful and throughout the stay the food was excellent and had enough choice for everyone the only faults i could find with this place were the beds were like sleeping on the floor but at the end of the day when you had a few drinks it just somewere to sleep and we were on the first floor above reception and got woken up by someone who was knocking on balcony door luckily for her we did see the funny side as she was a bit drunk there is different types of entertainment every night the food is constantly topped up in resturant and snack bar and tables are quickly cleared so easily able to find a seat when eating the bar staff at night were ok but quick at serving overall a very good experiance

Room Tip: if possible get rooms above reception as they have some of the better views and quieter at nigght
Hola
We loved your review, thanks.
We will keep working and trying to improove.
blackburn, lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Just returned from a really good week all inclusive at lagotel. We are a family of seven, Two adults and five children, ages 11, 8, 6, 4 and nearly 2.
Food was excellent, good choices available and really tasty. I am a really fussy eater but never went hungry. Snack bar food very good. Restaurant a bit hectic but only a problem if you allow it to be. Drinks are help yourself which is brill and kids loved it.
Hotel very clean, pools clean and well kept(major wasp problem tho), rooms cleaned everyday. Toilets around the pools need cleaning more regular.
Rooms very spacious and i found the bed comfy, i slept well every night and i am 7 months pregnant.
Entertainment very good for adults and children. Activities good too. None of the kids went bored.
Now for a moan, was really disapointed with kids clubs as they were on a first come first serve basis, so unless you want to que up for over an hour to sign kids up you wont get a place. The whole point of the kids clubs is to give adults a break but defeats the object when ya have to que for ages to get them in in my opinion!!! Didnt really find the reps friendly or helpful either.
Overall would deffo come back and was really pleased with everthing.

Hola
Thanks for your nice and realistic review.
Hope to see you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Great place to stay with kids. Lovelly beach close enough to walk to although free bus shuttle service from hotel, great swimming pools for all ages. Kids clubs - get in early we used once but my 10 year old not interested! However all evening entertainment kept everyone happy! Please visit the Pirates show in Magaluf - Amazing!

Room Tip: Ask for lakeside
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Eix Lagotel? Share your experiences!