“Perfect.... But.....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Blue

Save Saved
You added Viva Blue to your Saves list
Viva Blue
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Passeig de Bateman, s/n, 07408 Playa de Muro, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #7 of 30 hotels in Playa de Muro
Geneva, Switzerland
“Perfect.... But.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our family holiday at the Viva Blue. The service was really excellent, with staff always smiling and ready to help/serve. We stayed in the first half of July, and the hotel was full of uber-fit Scandinavians (they really incentivized me to get fit!). The room was always very clean, nothing to say there. We initially thought we would be self-catering, but soon found out that the "kitchen" was quite useless (too small) and there was only a tiny table for 3 (while we were 4). So we took up half board and were positively surprised by the quality of the buffets. The food was actually quite good, easily beating the tourist restaurants nearby that we tested the first couple of days.

Now for the really annoying thing: noise! The buildings are built on 3 floors with an open atrium in the center. That makes them very luminous, but at the same time, you hear all the noises in the hallway from everybody on all floors. The strongest noises are from people slamming doors, which resonates through the whole building. Then there are people arriving very late (like after midnight), or leaving very early (4:30, seriously!). As the floor is tiled, it transmits even the slightest suitcase wheel noise. To top this off, the first night while I was trying to get asleep, I was disturbed by snoring sounds, so I got up to check my kids in the living room, but it was actually the neighbor! The walls are razor thin, so if you have light sleep like me, be sure to take your earplugs!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Keighley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed for a week from 30th May to 6 June 2013. A family of 4; mum, dad, and two boys (aged 2 and 6). We stayed in a premium 1 bed apartment.

Room
The bedroom is light, airy and well kept. We asked for the bedroom to made up as a twin and put the boys in there, we slept on the pull out sofa bed. That was all done for our arrival. The bathroom is quite cramped (although the sink is in the ante room outside) with the unnecessary provision of a bidet. There's plenty of storage for clothes, suitcases, etc. in the bedroom and living room. The air con worked well, my wife found it a bit noisy at night.

The kitchen is a joke, there's nowhere to store food as all the cupboards and drawers have kitchen utensils in. As we were all-inclusive we never ate in the room and just used the fridge to store a bit of water, milk and juice in. The draining board stored a few snacks for late afternoon (after-pool, before tea) or early morning hungry children emergencies. Bizarrely there was washing up liquid and a tea-towel but no washing up brush / cloth for cleaning with.

What others say about noise is true, within reason. We were in the end room on the 2nd floor so only had neighbours on three sides (above, below and one side). The boys room abutted the neighbours on the second floor, and there was quite a bit of noise audible through the wall at times, luckily they sleep like logs and it never bothered them, we couldn't hear it in the living room. Noise from below was imperceptible, asumming there was anyone there. Noise from above was an issue - as others have said the sound of furniture moving about on tiles transmits well. One night about mid way through our stay some new people arrived above us at some time in the middle of the night (seriously about 3am) i could hear all their luggage being moved about (wheelie cases on tiles), someone seemed to be wearing 9 inch heels too. A couple of nights later i was treated to the sound of sobbing, then vomiting, children complete with the accompanying sounds of flushing toilets. To be fair, my wife slept through it, but I am not normally woken by noises in the night and this was noticeable. If you're a light sleeper or have mild insomnia this could be a big distraction.

The telly was also a waste of space, the only english channel is BBC World and the picture poor. We didn't have much cause to use it as there was so much else going on.

We ate at the hotel for the whole week, except one lunch we ate out in Alcudia.

Overall i'd describe the food as fair. It was good value overall but none of it exceptional. There was always good variety, the evening buffet changed daily. The fruit was pretty poor - strawberries were either canned (yuk) or the one day real ones appeared they were already well past their best and quite battered. I sometimes had a bit of tinned pears and peaches, some of which were tough as old boots. The a la carte restaurant was ok - we ate there on our last night - i had the steak (rare) which was tough and chewy. Having never been all-inclusive before i guess it was as good as i hoped it would be but not great quality, but reasonable value.

Facilities
As others who were there around the same time, the swimming pools were not warm. They might have warmed up slightly by the end of our week as the weather was consistently sunny and 20C+, but it might just have been my imagination! The kids enjoyed the pools immensely and to be honest this was the main factor in choosing this hotel, and it did not disappoint.

The kids club was fairly 'free form' and it took our eldest a few days to get engaged but when he was he thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes the majority of other children seem to be german or scandinavian but I preferred it not being full of Brits abroad to be honest...

I tried reserving a bike through the Viva Cycling arrangement before i went, it all seemed to be set up fine but when the day came to collect it there was no sign of the bike or any staff. Reception tried to help but explained that the peak season was over and the cycling shop not open any more. It was very disappointing given they'd confirmed my bike reservation. Lucky for me there was a bike shop on the main drag that did me a good deal on a hire but the hotel failed to deliver on this front.

In some ways the bike hire experience was rather symptomatic of what i described as 'Hotel Manana' to my wife. Basically if you wanted to arrange anything (a spa treatment, hire a car, book into to the restaurant) etc. it was all ok but has to be done at 24hrs notice. With the car i just walked out the reception, around the corner and got a hire car in 10 minutes, but the hotel could do a bit more to offer things at less notice. My wife had a massage which, again, having been well pre-booked was good value but she paid the masseur direct, not the hotel. It just felt like many of the extras on offer weren't really part of what the hotel was about and it took some of the shine out of the package for me.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the evening entertainment kept the kids very happy and Bufo and Katty (the mascots) were bought and brought home with us. The all inclusive was good value but none of the food exceptional. Rooms were ok for the amount of time we spent in them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
guernsey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We travelled in May half term (25 May- 1 June). Complex immaculate and very well kept. Facilities good and lots to do to keep the adults busy( shooting, spinning, water aerobics etc). Rooms nice and recently redone. Small kitchens if self catering.

Most guests are German/Scandinavian. 2 downsides for us-
1. pools FREEZING- and I mean FREEZING. Bring wet suits/ or similar for the kids. Our 2 wouldnt go in the pool with the pirate ship as it was too cold and only in the big pool on their inflatables with swim long sleeve tops on!
2. Kids club not good. Very unstructured- most concerning you didn't have to sign the children in or out, they didn't tell you what they were doing or what time they would be finished. Also our girls felt they were being ignored as they spoke English and the rest of the kids didn't.

We didn't do all inclusive but ate in the hotel twice. Food OK- nothing special and not too pricy.

Good holiday but wouldn't go to the same complex again due to the pool and the kids club.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have spent one week the end of may with 3 little children here. The hotel is not too big and very children friendly. There were lots of guests but still it was not noisy or too crowded. During the day at the swimming pool there is no music or loud animation!!! Nice little playground! The beach is really only 5 minutes by walk and very nice! The children pool is only made for very warm weather as it is not heated. My children were freezing and went only once into it (even if it is very nice). The buffet is super! (variation and quality) The bed in the living room could be more comfortable! Having the little apartment with the garden was just perfect for our case. We always took our lunch on the terrace , and during the smallest child took a rest, the two other boys were playing in the garden, and the parents took a sunbath on the beach chairs.

Room Tip: Take the apartments with garden looking on the natural park. The gardens are bigger, than the one vi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here in May with a group of friends on a cycling trip. I really can't fault the hotel in anyway.
We used it as our base for cycling around the Majorca. The hotel is very much geared up for this as a number of specialist cycling tour companies are based within the complex with the basement used for bikes, storage, repair workshop etc. Food was excellent with plenty of choice, rooms were spacious, fresh and clean and the grounds around the hotel were immaculate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here for a week in mid October 2012. We stayed in a Royal apartment (which was a free upgrade as we had originally booked another Viva hotel in Alcudia only to arrive and discover it was closing)
Our little boy was 3 at the time and LOVED the hot tub in the room as the pools really were beyond cold even just paddling in the splash pool was too cold to bear which was a shame. I will stress however that even though during our stay I only saw someone in the pool a handful of times, the lifeguard was ALWAYS on duty sitting in his viewing chair!
This hotel is immaculate, the staff are some of the most helpful I've ever come across.
Very attentive, I was 6 months pregnant and they made sure I was happy with the food choices on offer etc - to be honest I consider myself a fussy eater but I failed to see how anyone couldn't be satisfied with the food choice or quality.
Fresh made pasta was amazing and our son ate better there than at home :)
We didn't use the kids club but he did join in the disco etc in the evenings that we weren't in Alcudia.
It was very near the end of season so many things were closed or closing but we had a simply lovely family holiday with not a single negative point that I could say was worth mentioning.
The only thing I could think of is that the patio doors don't lock with a key so I had my little boy sleep with me while Hubby slept on the sofa bed in the sitting room as the thought of him wandering to the balcony alone terrified me.
The beach at Playa De Muro is beautiful, well maintained and family friendly with shallow areas for children to play & we spent quite a few hours here during our stay. There is a charge for sun loungers.
We are currently in the process of booking the Viva C'an Picafort and I hope it lives up to the Viva Blue...Don't consider booking - Just DO IT!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Royal Apartment which was a real treat and I would 100% upgrade if I was to return!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We travelled during the Easter hols with 2 small kids, aged 5 and 2. We paid for a standard room AI. I emailed before we arrived and asked if a ground floor room was available so that we could relax in the garden if the youngest was having an afternoon nap and they gave us this (but did charge for a cot).
Service was great, all the staff were great. Maria (kids rep) was amazing and both our boys fell in love with her... She has non stop energy, is always smiling despite seeming to work 14 hours per day! We didn't actually leave them but it was possible to and they seemed safe and well looked after.
The food was lovely, plenty to choose from, lovely salads and a good selection of hot buffet food plus speciality food cooked fresh in front of you every evening (Mexican, paella, etc.)
The facilities were excellent, great playground, loads of pools and loungers. It was only April but all the pools were FREEEEZING!!! Even the indoor pool wasn't as warm as it could have been.... It is only 5 mins from a beautiful beach which is great for kids. Lovely shallow clear water. A few shops on the strip too. We didn't eat out so can't recommend any local restaurants, that's testament to the hotel's restaurant!
Only negative was the long transfer from the airport (not the hotel's fault). We were told that it was about 45 mins from the airport but we had nearly one hour on the coach before we even left the airport and were then the last drop off so it was over 2.5 hours before we got there... Longer than the flight! The only thing I would do different if returning would be to book a private taxi at the airport.
Overall, excellent and I'd wholly recommend to families with young children.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Viva Blue? Share your experiences!