“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chermside
Perth, Australia
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

The Essence Apartments were well located for what we needed. It's close to the airport and has easy access to both the Sunshine and Gold Coasts. The nearby Chermside shopping centre and surrounds has some good restaurants. Our apartment was a good size, clean and quiet and we had a small private courtyard. There was a free breakfast available - cereal and toast which is served in a communal area.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
The staff and management really appreciate your valuable feedback. We are pleased that we met your expectations on our apartments, our home-style buffet breakast and location.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Christine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were two couples that stayed here for the Sunday night over the Australia Day weekend. That was the night that the heavens opened up with a storm - but no problem there other than heaps of towels being placed in part of the communal floor to soak up all the water coming through an exposed part of the building.
I had read on TA about WiFi issues not being available in the room and even about one guy who took to going outside his room to get some reception. Well I tried getting it in our room, then just outside the room, and went down to the breakfast area, and even then tried in the reception area.
No WiFi. The receptionist told me the quality of service was questionable at the best of times and that with the storm that it was further unlikely I would be able to get connected. But she told me that tomorrow (being Australia Day - duh!) that a new server system was going to be installed which would improve the WiFi. Pity I wont be going back to find out.
With regard to the breakfast - well two elderly parents/in laws went down on the Monday morning to have a feed. Oops - hotel forget to mention they do not provide breakfast on public holidays - not sure why seeing its only a process of stocking up some bread and cereals in a container. Maybe they don't serve breakfast on a Saturday or Sunday either - I did not bother to ask.
We had a two bedroom apartment and it was functional and large. I have given it a mark of 2/5 on the ranking given this fact.
Check in was a bit of a hassle - I had driven up from Sydney and so my wife got out of the car with her credit card details etc to do the paperwork side of things. However as the booking was originally done in my name the receptionist insisted I turn off the car and go inside and sign off.
C'mon guys - you could have easily change the booking name into my wires name and completed the formalities - why make it any harder than it has to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and are disappointed that we did not meet all your expectations.

Our complimentary breakfast is our gift to you - the cost is not included or built into your room rate, it is provided to encourage a home-away-from-home feeling while you are staying with us which is available 7 days a week between 7am and 9am. Though with the limited days that we have public holidays we are unable to provide this gift to our guests due to increase costs involved in providing this service. It is our belief that this is announced within our establishment clearly.

The Wifi issues that were caused via the storm were a one off via yourself and no other issues raised would have been extremely frustating and we apologies for this inconvenience which was mothers nature at her best, clearly outside our control. The new server being installed was to improve on the existing server to make it faster which in actual fact was installed on Monday the public holiday.

We pride ourselves on the highest level of guest security and we do not apologies for this inconvenience given that the proceedure is in place to protect your privacy and provide security to your details and room key. We insist on seeing the person who's name is on the booking to ensure that only the person that books and pays for the room is the person who is given access to the key, had you listed your wife's name as your second guest then we would of happily allowed her to check in.

We would always welcome your feedback with our reception staff or management team and would encourage you to visit us again in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Just needed a 2 bedroom apartment(4 adults)for a night before a late flight to airport . Couldnt fault the place, tv in each room breakfast included late check out chermside shops 5 minutes away and yes airport is 20mins away but we did have our own car and it was a sunday.if you dont have your own car i can why some of the negative comments on its location may arise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Essence Serviced Apartments in the near future.

Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Where do I start...

1. I booked and payed in advance through HotelClub, when I arrived the girl on reception asked for my credit card number in case there are any charge backs, pretty standard practise so I had no problems with that. However I DID have a problem when I arrived home and realised they had charged me IN FULL again for the 7 night stay. It took several phone calls at my expense and lots of excuses and several days before I finally got my nearly $850 back. No compensation for the waste of my time and money I had spent.

2.Parking was a nightmare, nowhere near enough spaces in the under building carpark, it appeared they hired out spaces to surrounding business. All around the apartment it is 'no parking" twice when we arrived home around 8.00 pm we had too park up the hill and walk in the dark to the apartment, fine if you are a 6 ft bouncer but as two females in a strange area it was not good.

3. While I didn't expect a change of sheets everyday, I did think if I left a glass or cup in the sink that the room service person would wash them and it the bed was not made they would make it. Also the electricals in the tiny kitchenette are hooked up so that you need to have on the very noisy extractor fan whenever you have the toaster or kettle on, very annoying. Also there is no washer or dryer in the apartment which is a first for me. There is a laundry but the opening hours where during the day when we were out so we had to resort to hand washing clothes.

4. The complementary breakfast service is awful, when we arrived at about 8.00 am there was no clean cups and the girl had to hand wash one.

5. The apartment is tiny, we had a 1 bedroom which really was just a studio apartment with a wall dividing the lounge/kitchenette/dining area from the bedroom.

6. No air-conditioning in the the corridors or lift, we would leave our apartment fresh and by the time we got to the car we would be dripping with sweat.

7. Thin walls, we had a group of about 4 young people in the apartment next door and they partied all night, calls to reception were ignored.

I have stayed in apartments all over the Australia and the world and this was by far the worst.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
The management team at Essence Serviced Apartments are always willing to be of assistance for our guests. We are greatly disappointed that during your stay you did not speak with any of our staff or management regarding your concerns. Over 20 years Industry experience allows me to rely on the fact that guests usually highlight concerns during their stay so that the staff can remedy those concerns to their satisfaction. Not only would we have truly appreciated the opportunity to assist you during your stay, I would like to highlight that the first we knew of your disatisfaction was in your trip advisor post some 2 months after your stay. I have tried to contact you directly on several occasions to discuss this matter privately without any success.

We acknowledge that our staff made a 'human error' and charged your card instead of HotelClub's credit card for the correct amount of $751.80 (not $850.00). Your reversal was processed immediately on 10 December 2012.

We make our secure undercover car park available to our guests Free of charge - we have 47 undercover and 10 offstreet external spaces on site, 8 of which are reserved from Mon-Fri 7am-5pm. We have sufficient car parking available to meet the demands of our inhouse guests based on the ratio of rooms to spaces. As with all the concerns you have raised, had we known at the time that you were unable to access a car space, we would of certainly been able to arrange a solution for you.

Our Guest laundry on level 1 is open 24 hours for your future knowledge and we have a selection of 1 bedroom suites, 2 bedroom apartments and 2 bedroom suites all of which have their own washing machine and dryer available in the apartment.

We offer a FREE breakfast as our GIFT to you! - the cost is not included or built into your room rate, it is provided to encourage a home-away-from-home feeling while you are staying with us. Our guests travel for many reasons - work, leisure, relocating and hospital visits. It is our hope that all our guests will enjoy and utilise the free home - style continental breakfast which is a selection of tea/coffee, toast and cereal - just like you'd have at home.

Our 1 bedroom apartment is 45 m2 internally with an 11m2 balcony which is considered generous and it also boasts a Full sized Kitchen (including dishwasher, full size fridge/freezer, microwave, 4 burner cooktop and oven) Our 1 bedroom also has a completely separate bedroom with its own TV, a huge bathroom with shower, vanity and toilet. The full size work station also has Free Wi-Fi and direct international dial telephone with voicemail service. Our apartments also have a separate dining table, chairs for 4 people, another large flat screen TV and a 3 seater lounge which also converts into a queens size bed. We are pleased to direct you to a full floor plan of each room type on our website for any further clarification.

I trust this addresses and clarifies your concerns, and we would always welcome the opportunity to invite you back to the property should you wish to arrange this please contact me personally.

Hervey Bay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here as it was close to the Chermside Hospital. We enjoyed our stay this time and the Managers were very helpful. Modern, clean and has everything you could need. We stayed in a spacious 2 bedroom apartment and were very pleased. No road noise in this apartment.

Room Tip: Choose room away from Rode Road
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Essence Serviced Apartments.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was in Brisbane for 1 night. Had to find something closer to my appointments so this looked like the best choice. About 20mins drive from Brisbane airport. I found it very clean, modern and accomodative. It included breakfast which was just basically toast, cereal, and coffee so if you we're after hot food then go to the nearest McDonald's.
a good value for money option for a business trip.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our home style continental breakfast and found the location ideal for your appointments.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

At the end of a great holiday stayed one night in Essence serviced apartments, I was not happy as like others before me the proximity to the airport is incorrect.
On arrival at this accommodation I was greeted with a lady sitting behind her computer, a very unwelcoming receptionist who continued to work on other things while checking me into my room. Not a great start to my stay at this accomodation. When I asked questioned the receptionist response was very abrupt I found her to be rude and was very disappointed in the way I was treated.

While traveling to Brisbane airport I noticed cheaper accommodation and closer to the airport than this accommodation.

I had stayed at four and five star accommodation in Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and the gold coast and received friendly service from all the staff at places that I had stayed at while holidaying in Australia.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent comments. We are deeply disappointed that your stay with us was not to your satisfaction. We pride ourselves on our guest services and have engaged with our reception staff on our policies/proceedures when greeting arrivals to our hotel.

We have taken your comments on board regarding distance from the Brisbane airport and note that we have represented this correctly at 15kms or approx 15-20minutes drive.

Been to Essence Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!