“just perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott's Village d'Ile-de-France

You added Marriott's Village d'Ile-de-France to your Saves list
Marriott's Village d'Ile-de-France
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Allee de L'Orme Rond, 77700 Bailly-Romainvilliers, France   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“just perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

We regret we stayed just one night at this perfect place. But it was too expensive for 2 nights.
We had a vacation home with 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms. Everything was very clean and looked new. Fully equiped kitchen, washing machine, living room.

20 minutes drive to Disneyland Paris, huge supermarket around the corner.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

We planned our vacation for about six months and during that time I read mixed reviews regarding this property so we were hoping for the best as we own four Marriott timeshares and have never had an unpleasant stay. Our 7 hour flight turned into a 15 hour flight as the airline experienced problems and we had to fly back and start over. When we arrived at the property we asked for a lakeside villa and we were also very early for check-in. The staff was extremely helpful. They stated that they had a villa that we could go to but a lakeside would be a few hours. We opted to wait the additional time. The villa was excellent! We found our way to the local market and purchased some goods to hold us over til the next morning. We got back to the villa and called the front desk stating that the can opener did not work. Within minutes another can opener was delivered. The service was absolutely super. The staff could not do enough for us. After reading some of the past reviews I think folks should also take into consideration of the feelings for the staff personnel as well. Treat them with respect and it more than likely will be returned. When you travel abroad you are "in their house". We were in Paris for numerous days, at the Val De Europa (supermarket) numerous times etc. A few house-keeping items! Exchange your money in Paris as the rate is, or was, 76 euros compared to the hotel/disney park 63 euros. Get an all day rail pass which is good everywhere. The local supermarket takes all credit cards including AMX as the Val De Europa does not take AMX. Minor things! Again, the property was fantastic and the staff was fantastic as well! We will go back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

I'm a Platinum Marriott guest, and typically stay in hotels more than 100 nights every year. My short stay at this property was undoubtedly the worst experience I've ever had. We had many small problems that alone would have resulted in my never returning, but the final experience was the last straw that prompted me to both write this review and to write to Marriott asking for recompense (since the property never offered any).

Here are just a few of the minor problems: 1) a strong sewage smell in our unit that never dissipated, 2) ridiculously long lines at reception, and you have to go to reception regularly, due to all the problems. Calling by phone is useless; they tell you they'll respond, but they don't, 3) I asked them to call a taxi to take me to the airport. They didn't actually call a taxi - they scheduled their own driver to take me, but didn't tell me that it would be twice the price a taxi would have cost. They charged me 100 Euros for what should have been a 50 Euro trip, which I confirmed by checking on the internet in several places. 4) No soundproofing at all. If someone outside or in a neighboring unit were talking, it was as if they were standing in our unit. My travel companion, who's a lighter sleeper than I am, was awoken many times every night by various noises around our condo, so she was sleep-deprived the entire time.

But the worst problem was on the final night of our stay. I had washed a load of clothes in preparation for returning home, which was the first time we had used the washer. When I tried to locate the dryer, I couldn't find one. I called reception who told me it was in the pantry. I looked again, both in the pantry, and every other place I could think of, to no avail. I ended up calling reception 3 different times, and just kept getting the same non-helpful answer - that it's in the pantry.

Finally, when I lost my temper and told them to send someone down to show it to me, they put me on hold for 15 minutes and finally came back and said that the dryer in my unit had been removed for repair. They said they would see if they could bring me a new one the next day when their maintenance person returned to work. Unfortunately, I was leaving the property at 5 a.m. for my flight to return home, which was clearly earlier than they would have gotten a dryer into my unit. I calmly explained that I couldn't pack a suitcase full of wet clothes and asked for a solution, but they simply repeated I'd have to wait til tomorrow. I asked if they could give me a key to an empty unit so that I could use a dryer (and there were clearly many empty units in October). They said they could not do that, and repeated, many times, that I'd have to wait until tomorrow. Again, I had to finally lose my temper and resort to shouting.

Finally, I spoke to a manager. She first repeated that I'd have to wait until tomorrow. After I shouted at her for another 15 minutes, she finally agreed to give me a key to another unit. She told me to call reception again in a few minutes and she would have made arrangements for them to give me a key. When I called, they told me which unit number they were going to send me to - it was completely on the other side of the property. I asked if there were another unit closer, so I didn't have to carry my wet laundry so far. They first said no, but as soon as I said "then connect me with the manager again", they changed their story and happened to find the unit right next door to me was empty. Huh - imagine that. Then I asked if they would bring me the key. No, they made me walk to reception myself to get it. When I picked it up, rather than apologizing for all the inconvenience, the woman at the desk scowled at me. I finally received use of a dryer at approximately midnight, before having to wake up at 4 a.m. to leave for the airport. So needless to say, I got little sleep that night.

At no time during this more than 2 hour debacle did anyone ever make any kind of apology for the inconvenience or offer any recompense for the fact that the condo I rented, which was supposed to include a dryer, didn't actually include a dryer. Their attitude the whole time was that I was clearly a bother to them and making their lives difficult. It was the worst customer service I've ever experienced anywhere in the world.

Don't stay here. I guarantee you'll be sorry if you do.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

The hotel accommodations were awesome. The villa was perfect; spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff was not only very kind an friendly, but also very helpful with information on tourist sites. This was our favorite hotel on our entire 10-day trip touring Europe and England. The hotel was close to the subway/train station - within 2-3 miles and there were either taxi's, buses, or the hotel shuttle that were convenient to get us to the hotel from the station. It would have been nice if the hotel shuttle operated a little later at night - but there were alternate options that worked. The hotel does not offer a restaurant for breakfast, but it does maintain a well stocked convenience store that offered sufficient food items to start each day. Loved the place!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I would like to be able to recommend Marriott’s Village as so many people have but I’m afraid that this was easily the worst time-share experience that we have ever had. If the management/housekeeping had checked the house before our arrival we could have had a memorable stay in lovely surroundings. It was certainly a memorable stay but for the wrong reasons. One cannot say that it was like “Faulty Towers” as the staff were invariably courteous and anxious to put things right. However it often took a phone call and a visit to reception to get things done. I will write a day by day account of our stay.

There was a large queue at reception when we arrived. This was not acceptable as we had had a long journey and the last section had taken 2 hours longer than the GPS had foreseen and then we had to go over 3 or 4 sets of sleeping policemen to get to the queue. The function of these seemed to be to allow the golfers to march across the road in front of the cars without even bothering to look to see if anything was on the road. No help was offered to get our luggage into the house. As my husband and I are 74 and my son has a degenerative condition the first impression was bad. Completely different from the reception at our home resort which even has lifts. We were however able to enter the house early and were near to reception as requested.

The outside surroundings of the house were not appealing. No grass but a ground-cover plant which was long and straggly and in September had no flowers. On entering the house we arrived in a little hall. A steep staircase with a nasty turn led to the bedrooms. We all found this difficult to manage. The lounge/dining room was a pleasant room. The walls and paintwork were in pristine condition but the carpet was a little stained. The wooden cupboards smelt new. I was not impressed with the dining chairs which looked like kitchen chairs and were unlike the chairs in any of the photos. There was a lovely view of a lake and I spent ages watching the ducks, geese and both grey and white swans.

Upstairs the bedroom looked nice but I hadn’t noticed the filthy carpet or I’d have been asking for another house. The bathroom had a large bath, which I didn’t dare use as I thought I’d never get out, two washbasins and a full supply of towels and face cloths. However this was the only time we had the full complement as the cleaners took away at least one unused facecloth each day until we were left with none. There was a bathroom with a large shower cubicle on the landing and a bedroom with twin beds.

The kitchen was small and had most basic requirements but lacked a fish slice, serving spoons and table spoons. There were only 5 teaspoons. There were no instructions for any of the appliances. There were instructions for a washing machine and a tumble dryer but not the models we had. So far not too bad but I will now go through all our trials and tribulations in 4303.

At the house as I unpacked I looked for a bin to put our water bottles etc. in but was unsuccessful. When I moved the plate drainer I found a plastic bin liner under it and just used that. When my husband unpacked the car I went to the in-house store for some supplies and had another long wait as the storekeeper couldn’t find the postcard that the person in front of me wanted. It put me off going there again. I put the kettle on to make some instant coffee and when the red light went out I made the coffee. When I drank it, it was barely lukewarm. My husband said I had filled the kettle too full which was not the case. He made tea later with the same result- lukewarm tea. We got another kettle quickly when we reported the fault. When we tried to set the safe we found that too didn’t work. At about 8pm we started to fiddle with the air conditioning/heating unit as we were getting cold but were unsuccessful. We reported this later but the technicians had gone home. The weather was unusually cold for September. We went to bed early but were woken by the radio alarm playing music at midnight. A high frequency buzz woke me at 6.00am and a finger was itching. The coffee maker didn’t work. I reported all the faults at 830. The receptionist told me there was a heater either in the cupboard in the hall or the one in the bedroom but there wasn’t so we stayed cold. At about 12.00 I went to reception to complain again about the lack of progress and when I was standing in the long queue the safe and coffee maker were repaired and 2 heaters were brought in. (for 3 rooms) so we were warmer than before. Nothing had been done about the buzz so we had to have CD’s on to mask the noise. I prefer reading to daytime television.

The next morning after being woken again at 6.00am by the buzz although I was wearing ear plugs and the bedroom door was shut. I also had more itchy bumps on my hand. I phoned reception again at 8.00am and was almost crying from frustration and lack of sleep and told the receptionist that it was then worst place I’d ever stayed in. She put me on to Vivienne, a customer relations person who said that we shouldn’t have had to suffer like that and they would recompense us. Two and a half days of our holiday had been spoilt and no money would put that right. Anyway Vivienne came over and I took the opportunity to show her the state of our bedroom carpet. She was horrified and asked if we wanted it cleaned immediately but we declined as we didn’t fancy a wet carpet in a room without heating. The carpet looked as if it had been cleaned and then people in dirty boots had walked over it when it was wet as the sides were clean and the rest was filthy. She left us some vouchers and we got another heater later but we didn’t like to leave the heaters on when we left the house in case of fire. The buzz was sorted out. It turned out to be from an appliance that gave out perfume but made that noise when it needed to be recharged. We insisted that it be turned off and then found the reason for it as there was a smell of sewers emanating from the downstairs toilet. It was better than having the buzz however. I had to ring reception for an ironing board as I wanted to do some washing that evening and there was no board. I had to visit reception later and ask again for a board. The receptionist said that I didn’t have to come over but could phone and didn’t like it when I said I’d tried that and I was still waiting for the board.

That evening I put some washing in the washing machine and went upstairs for a shower. My husband heard something unusual and went to check in the utility room. The water was gushing out of the bottom of the machine; not a leak, but a deluge.
The technician came quickly to suck up the water and said that the machine was now OK. We went to the welcome meeting at the bar. We told Marie-Therese another customer relations person our woes and she too wanted to give us something to make up for our troubles. In the end we accepted the offer of a free taxi from Disney to Marriott’s the next day. A great mistake. When we returned to the house we found that the washing machine had vibrated its way from its position in the utility room to the door into the kitchen and that the drier had fallen off it. The technician couldn’t believe his eyes and put it right and set off my washing in the tumble dryer. We kept an eye on the tumble dryer as we didn’t want the clothes cooked. The machine heated for what seemed an appropriate amount of time but the cooling cycle went on and on. After well over half an hour we finally managed to extract the clothes unharmed. No way was I going to try and use either the washer or the dryer again. When we wanted to watch a DVD we found that there was no remote control but managed to watch it by using the switches.

The next day I phoned reception and asked for a remote control for the DVD player and for someone to come over and check everything as the central heating still wasn’t working. The remote control arrived promptly. The housekeeper who had a bad cold came. She offered to have any washing I wanted done done for me but I was afraid that I’d never see it again. She seemed worried by the itchy bumps on our hands and my face and said that she would have the bedding changed completely and the room cleaned. We had thought the bumps were an allergic reaction to something but after the bedding change we didn’t develop any more bumps so they may have been due to bedbugs. She was evidently more conversant with the bed bug infestations in some American cities than us. My son and I went to Disney We hired a wheelchair as he can’t walk far. When we were ready to come back I phoned reception who told us to go to the number 6 bus stop. This of course was at the furthest point from Disneyland. I then realised that we were at the number 6 stop for hotel buses and phoned to ask if this was the right place. The receptionist directed me to the number 6 service bus stop. There was no number 6 but we found a 06 which seemed a weird spot for a pick up and I phoned again. This time she said the taxi was already there so I tried to find it among the taxis not the buses. Luckily the taxi driver had my number and phoned me and directed me to the taxi. If we had taken the 34 bus as originally planned and then phoned my husband from the gatehouse my poor son wouldn’t have had to walk so far. My husband said that someone had been to sort out the central heating and it now worked but of course this was wishful thinking. He had tried to have lunch at the bar to use up one of the vouchers we’d been given but was told that it wasn’t open until the evening so had to go to town. The remote control was not compatible with the DVD so we were unable to watch the second programme on the disk.

The next morning I reported the still malfunctioning central heating and gave the receptionist the make of our DVD player so we could have the correct remote control. We arrived home on our last afternoon to find a nice even warm temperature in the lounge/dining room and a compatible DVD remote control. However when we tried to turn off the dimmer switch we found that it had stuck in the on position. It was put right when we went out for a meal. In our bedroom we discovered that the air conditioning was blasting out cold air and that it was impossible to sit in the chair without getting goose bumps. My son was luckier as in his room the air-conditioning was not doing anything and the portable heater kept him warm.

Our last morning I returned the bathrobe I had and found I could check out there and then and leave the keys in the house when we left. At last a plus for the resort! I went to the in-house store and bought a baguette to make sandwiches for our journey and was horrified to find that it cost 1.35 euros. In the supermarket the cost was .55 euros

It’s hard to believe that what prides itself as a premier resort could be so incompetent but I swear all this happened. I haven’t even mentioned the odd habits of the cleaners who systematically removed the clean face cloths and set off the dishwasher with 3 dirty plates and 3 clean sets of cutlery retrieved from the table that was laid for the next meal. Some of the many technicians who visited us must have taken a short-cut over the front gardens and got muddy shoes. They left the muddy floor in the hall for me to clean.

I won’t say that we returned home in need of a holiday as we were content to be somewhere warm where everything worked. I did however catch the housekeeper’s bad cold.

• Stayed September 2010
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Terrible experience at this location, have actually created a profile just so I could warn others off staying here.

Regular Marriott user due to business, and currently a Gold member of the Rewards loyalty scheme, however this is meaningless to staff here.

Arrived at 2:45pm after travelling with small child for 7 hours, looking forward to resting up and getting a bed for our child to nap, however upon arrival, was told that room would not be available until 4pm, and this is clearly stated on website (the fact that she pointed this out before I even said anything in response, shows that she'd been asked many times about this, so maybe it's not quite so obvious on the website).

Even if it is clearly stated on the website, I still find this an unacceptable time to checkin, considering that villas have to be vacated by 10am. They should be ready for 2pm, like most hotels are.

Knowing I could do nothing, I waited with my family in the bar area until 4pm, then asked for key to my villa. The person dealing with me disappeared through the back for about 10 minutes, before returning and explaining that it'd be another hour. I calmly reasserted the fact that this was completely unacceptable, that we had a very tired toddler in tow, and we needed a room with a bed immediately. No amount of reasoning would convince him of this though, just a derisory offer of compensation to be spent in the bar or on-site shop (more on these later).

Thankfully the guest relations manager saw us at 4:45, wondered why we were still here, and managed to get us our room then - only 45 minutes later than the "advertised" time, but still it managed to ruin the entire Disneyland break for us as our son never recovered from the tiredness of that first day.

When we got to the room, the high chair and cot bedding for our son that we'd reserved hadn't been put into the room (arrived a couple of hours later).

The choice of food from the bar was terrible, and the shop was extremely poorly stocked. If you dont have a car, you really will suffer here. Yes, there's a supermarket nearby, but I wasn't there to view the surrounding area, I was there for Disneyland Paris.

The third day, when we returned from Disneyland, our villa hadn't been cleaned. Our "cleaner" turned up just before 7pm as we were trying to put our son down for the night, so we had to tell him not to bother tonight (even though it was required) What type of hotel doesn't clean a room until 7pm? Completely unacceptable and no reason the hotel could ever give for this attitude to their guests will ever placate us.

To sum up, if staying for Disneyland Paris and you dont have a car, AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!! I stay almost 200 nights per year in hotels on business, and have never been treated this way before. What makes it worse is that I'm very loyal to Marriott - no more, this experience has soured me completely, I'll be taking my expense account to the Hilton from now on.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Just returned from a week here. Overall, we were pleased, but for a couple of issues. First, this resort offers daily tidy-up and towel service. That should be a nice perk as the Vacation Club locations in the US do not offer daily service (without charge). But the service was AWFUL. Each day we got a differing number of towels. Upon arrival, there were 4 bath towels in the master bath; each day hense, there were differing numbers. Often no bath mat left. Toward the end of the week, we had to BEG to have them leave some more toilet paper. Despite leaving the kitchen towels on the floor as instructed (for replacement), they never did replace them, just put the dirty towels back on the kitchen counter!

The first few days, we left what we thought was a reasonably generous tip (4-5 euros a day) for the cleaning staff, thinking we'd get good service. A few days into the stay, we were running out of coffee filters, and left the two remainning filters on the table with a note (next to the tip), asking for "More coffee filters, Merci". That night we found that they had taken our last two filters and left no more!

As for location, for someone wanting to see only Paris, this probably isn't the best location, but we wanted to spend some days in Paris and some days in the countryside, so the location worked well for us. But I wouldn't have done it without a car. Driving is ok in the the countryside and in the area of the resort, the only day I drove into Paris was on Sunday when the traffic was somewhat lighter. And a GPS is a MUST HAVE. Before the trip, I bought a new Garmin GPS with lifetime traffic service and both US and European maps on Amazon.com, for the same cost as purchasing European maps for my existing Garmin unit. Train service was very good by our experience.

Having noted a couple of cautions about break-in and theft from the villas, we were concerned. Upon arrival, we found that the safe in the villa had been ripped out of the closet wall. When we inquired of the front desk, we were told "some villas have safes, some don't"!!! We were told to bring our valuables to the front desk for storage in the "big safe". Sure, every time we left the villa, we were to bring valuables to the front desk and stand in line to stow them away!?!?!? Also, the lock on one of the patio doors was broken. The resort was aware of this because they had added a simple filp style latch to "lock" the door, but in the installation, they had split the wood on the door, so the latch wouldn't have held anyone back. Fortunately, we did not have problems.

The villas and peacefull setting of this report make it perfect for a laid-back visit.

We would come back, but the service is not up to usual Marriott standards. As multiple week owners, we have stayed at a lot of the Vacation Club locations. Management needs to work on improving the daily service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Marriott's Village d'Ile-de-France? Share your experiences!