“Turtle beach week holiday” 3 of 5 stars

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Courland Bay, Plymouth, Tobago   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
London, United Kingdom
“Turtle beach week holiday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I went with my kids and my sister with high expectations. We generally enjoyed our stay. The beach was nice, and facilities were close by and the staff were really nice. However, the pool opened at 9 and shut at 6 which was poor. The food was ok, a bit on the greasy side, ran out of major lunch items, cereals were stale, ran out of jam/butter occasionally, and played the same CD 3 mornings in a row !! The evening entertainment was good for one night, dreadful for 2, cancelled for 3 nights. Things often did not work- no fridge in one room, faulty in another, rooms not cleaned for the first 3 days, irons+ board delivered after the 3rd day, towels not replaced after cleaning. The resort shop was a joke - hardly anything in - especially basics such as insect repellant ! The whole place was poorly managed - the whole place could do with a major renovation with more modern facilities. I would rate it as 3star

Room Tip: Rooms are much the same
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Polish first
Tunapuna, Trinidad
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Just got back from a trip with my wife in the early August 2014 period. I read the reviews before going and kept an open mind. But must say how disappointed we both were. The persons at the front desk and bar were not very friendly and appeared to be burdened when we sought to get information or make transport arrangements. The rooms were just ok. Nothing fancy. The balcony small and the table had bird filt. A ceiling fan and foot mats by the bed would be great for those who cannot tolerate the cold floor and AC. It would have been nice for the room to be cleaned everyday. The beach chairs could have been cleaned regularly and beach towels provided in the room. There much to be desired about the bathrooms also.

The most friendly staff were in the restaurant. Dernelle..you rock!! You made us feel right at home. The food was the best thing. The stew goat was great!

All in all, we couldn't wait to get back home. The cheapest alcohol was offered and not very much entertainment in the night. Beach walks in the night were cool, only if there were other groups walking. If not, it is very dark and caution should be excersized.

On the plus, it is a great beach beach for bathing (not snorkeling). I will not be back to this hotel ever. It needs to be definitely upgraded. Will pay extra money and stay in another hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the far south end with the 3rd story give a beautiful view of the beach.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Dear people,

If you are a nit picker, please don't waste your time on Turtle Beach. You'll bug me.

If you love chilling out and enjoying a genuine Caribbean experience with no hassles and great people and great value for money, come,

There are few hotels in this ridiculous tick box world which give you comfort and relaxation from the start at a good price but you need to have the brain and the experience to recognise this.

See you there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Great place to stay anytime.

I humbly suggest, you consider offering? Dinner and Bed or Bed and Breakfast. To accommodate guest schedules.

Example:

Scenario 1: Guest arrival at 4 p.m, on Monday and departs 5 a.m. on Tuesday this guest will GREATLY appreciate Dinner and Bed.

Scenario 2: Guest arrival at 4 p.m, on Monday and departs 10 a.m. on Tuesday this guest will appreciate Bed and Breakfast.

Having experience your all inclusive, good service, sometime after I experience bed and breakfast, in Scenario 1, although I aware the standard traditional package is bed and breakfast, I am hoping as a group that takes great pride, in leading you will implement another package called (D and B or B and B), Dinner and Bed or Bed and Breakfast,

Room Tip: Speak to the CSR
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
San Fernando, Trinidad
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

A real disappointment to say the least. When we arrived we were handed a key and had to go and look for the room ourselves. Was supposed to get a room with 2 queen beds as promised but we got one with a twin and a full and another twin in a small adjoining room. Wanted my kids in the same room with us but didn't make a fuss because my 9yr old said she would sleep in the small room. The rooms are old and gloomy. The lighting is very poor. The sliding door that leads to the balcony was very very hard to open and close, so hard infact that I couldn't do it and had to leave it up to my husband. Didn't get a good nights sleep on those beds, really uncomfortable.Stayed for 3 nights and couldn't wait to be back home. The bathroom although it was clean the shower head was too big for such a small bathroom so the entire area around the toilet was completly soaked everytime we used it. Had to unplug the tv to use the coffee maker to get some hot water for my son's bottle.The only two good things abou the room was that it was clean and the air condition worked.We took the all inclusive package but it was not worth it. Was told that there were bottled beers available but the bar only had draft beers. This was really an issue for me because I had asked about the drinks before booking. I made a fuss and the bar supervisor got a few bottle beers for me on the 1st day. After that everytime i asked there were none. One employee even told me that even if they have bottle beers they don't last long because once ppl see them they all want them which goes to show that Turtle Beach's know that ppl would rather them but they choose to take the cheaper way out and offer draft beer. I was told that they had all the local drinks even Ginseng up which is the only thing my husband drinks because he doesn't drink alcohol and they didn't even hav that. The mamagemant eventually bought a case of it though which was appreciated. Absolutely hated feeling like we were begging for things that i was told we would get. On the plus side the food was great, the staff was pleasant, the pool was awesome and seeing the baby leather backs was a treat. We had enough towels. Saw lots of security guards but the entire place is very gloomy and feels unsafe at nights. Would I return? NO. Did i get value for my money? Only where the food was concerned.I understand that this is not a five star resort but they can do a whole lot better than this.

Room Tip: rooms near to recption are old
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

My last review on Rex Resort was on the Halcyon Beach Hotel in Antigua, So you would imagine my pleasant surprise when I got to Turtle Beach in Tobago. The food was a vast improvement to my Antiguan experience, our room was aptly decorated for our 10th anniversary, although there was a 45 minutes delay before we could access or room. I even saw two turtles nesting outside my room, awesome ( took photos). Everything went well until the last day when the rain fell and blew into the newly designed breakfast and lunch restaurant. No one told the acting manager that it would have been more expedient to temporarily relocate lunch to the dining room. The result; more than a half an hour delay, so persons who were expecting to eat before going to the airport couldn't. They(some foreigners) left angry and disappointed. Luckily our flight was later so we ate. I'll still recommend highly this resort.

Room Tip: If you don't like long walks book a room closer to the reception area.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was our second visit... and we still loved it, the rooms hadn't really been updated since our last visit and there was not much in the way of entertainment and if quiet the bar shut at about 11 and as Turtle Beach is quite far from the other hotels and local nightlife there is little to do. However, the location of the hotel is fantastic right on the beach, seeing the Turtles lay their eggs or the conservationists releasing the baby turtles is a must see. The food is good and the staff helpful (for the most part).

Big thanks to Erica Augustus who makes fantastic daiquiris to die for :-), Juliet Joseph who kept our room spotless (nothing was too much to ask) and Andre Alleyne who sorted out our AC and safe.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!