“Worse stay ever!! Will never go back!” 1 of 5 stars

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Courland Bay, Plymouth, Tobago   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Plymouth
San Fernando, Trinidad
“Worse stay ever!! Will never go back!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Being a trini you would think comfort in your own land was a given...well not at this resort! I stayed on the 24th-25th Jan with my team from work. The locals had a separate eating area (outside) and was given different meals for breakfast (limited options), while the foreigners were given utmost comfort. My team was labelled as uncivilized by the foreigners because they were laughing out and having drinks and dancing from time to time. As a result of the complaints, some of the staff mostly the ones in supervisory positions treated us differently, the waiters/bartenders and waitress were still accommodating. I will never advise anyone to stay at this place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
I would like to thank you for choosing the Turtle Beach for your recent stay.

We thank you for taking the time to review our resort and we sincerely regret the discomfort experienced during your group short stay with us. The reason the decision was taken for different dinning arrangements was only to facilitate you and your team members sitting and having dinner together as a group. There was no other preconceive notion for separating the local guests from the European guests. Clearly its was a case of arrangements and plans not being executed as planned and for this I apologize sincerely.

Turtle Beach by rex resorts is one of the leading hotels in Tobago hosting Trinidad and International groups, families and couples and our focus and primary goal is and will always be the same, which is to meet the satisfaction of all our guests. The volume of new business generated through recommendations from repeat business both international and local alike is a clear indication that the services we offer holds no boundaries.

The comment made that the locals are uncivilized was inappropriate and I would like to assure you that the Turtle Beach by rex resorts do not condone the labeling of any one set of its guests. It is unfortunate, but I hoped that effort made by the management of the hotel went in some way to prove that the satisfaction and comfort of all our guests is what is paramount to us at Turtle Beach by rex resorts.

Once again, my sincere apologies for the discomfort experienced and thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your group short holiday. I do hope that you will reconsider and will permit us the opportunity to offer our services to you in the future.

Sincere regards

908 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
San Juan, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife, daughter and myself stayed here with a family friend in Dec 2012 and we all decided to return again in 2013 . We were just a little concerned about this visit based on the more recent reviews that we had seen but I was pleased to see that the manager was obviously interested in the reviews and was responding to any stated concerns.

Our stay turned out to be even better that the previous time. We arrived around 2 p.m. and expected to have to wait a bit for check-in (the previous year we got our room near 4 p.m. having arrived before 2 p.m.) but to our surprise we got our room almost immediately. Happily for us as well, we also got a room that was very near to the lobby/pool area so we didn't have a very long walk either.

The food was even better than in 2012 (our compliments to the cooking staff) and service was overall quite good. As usual the lobby staff were pleasant and helpful. Our daughter had a wonderful time and her top likes were 1 - the beach, 2 - the pool and 3 - the food.

There were really only 2 things that we were disappointed with.

1. The bridge by the pool was no longer there.

2. The "Jacuzzi" section needed some proper cleaning (is this why the bridge was removed?)

My daughter especially wanted to be able to swim under the bridge and that's the first part of the pool she was heading for. Unfortunately there was no bridge. Its a pity because it was a nice section of the pool. Also the Jacuzzi section really needed a good cleaning out and this was not done during out stay.

We still enjoyed it though and have already booked another visit for April 2014. This is excellent value for the price you pay and we're looking forward to another enjoyable stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
It is wonderful to hear that you and your family had another enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and for the loyalty and commitment shown.

Your acknowledgment of the improvements that has been made over last year (2012) is very much appreciated and we will continue making these improvements for the satisfaction of you our valuable guests.

I note your comment on the Jacuzzi and this has been sorted. The bridge is being built and should be installed very shortly. I do apologize for not having these facilities available during your stay.

Once again, thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and we look forward to your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Lovely holiday at Turtle Beach. Was a bit worried at first as there seemed to be quite a lot of negative comments on here - however I certainly had no issues at all. Room was excellent nice and clean and large. Fridge provided and ice maker outside the room - not that this was needed as the bar provided everything! Food was good and varied - I saw no queues or problems with food running out. The outside restaurant was lovely overlooking the beach. Everyone was very friendly and this was especially good for me as I was travelling on my own. Met some good friends both in the hotel and out - see you soon Val and Yvonne:). Special thanks to Dain working in the restaurant and Aubrey on security. Had a lovely time and will be back!

Room Tip: If you dont want to walk too far, dont go for any room higher in number than 119/219 or so.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Many thanks for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay at the hotel.

We are pleased to know that we delivered to your satisfaction on our promise to offer warm and consistent service, good food, clean comfortable rooms and environment. Your salutations will be extended to the staff mentioned.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Chaguanas, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed at Turtle Beach Hotel for Christmas 2013 along with my sister and her family. The experience was phenomenal because the food was so fantastic, the rooms were airy, roomy and very clean. The staff, especially Ms Moore, was quite accommodating and friendly. The check-in time was too long as our rooms were not ready in time, but for the duration of our stay, we soon forgot the delay, and my husband and I had no other complaints. Being right on the beach is a plus, and the massive pool is unforgettable. I'll definitely be staying here again. Hats off to a great hotel.

Room Tip: Room 107 and 108 are closer to the dining room. But for turtle watching, I'd definitely choose t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your short yet special (Christmas Celebration) family vacation and for taking time to post a review on your stay at the hotel.

We do apologize for the unexpected delay on check-in, which was due to problems experienced with our Laundry Department. Albeit a lengthy delay, the problem was resolved and we have implemented a back plan to avoid such delays in the future.

I am pleased to know that the staff were able to impact positively on your stay with warm and consistent service throughout.

Once again, thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and we certainly look forward to welcoming in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

this is a very late review but When i arrived at this resort it was disappointing .. i never booked the hotel it was a group of 25 for a wedding but every day i was there it grew on me and by the end of the holiday i really loved the place. food is good. locals are brilliant. bar man are very slow if your all inclusive

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We are thankfully that Turtle Beach by rex resorts was the hotel chosen to host the wedding party, which you were a part of.

I note your comment of the initial disappointment, but more importantly and gratifying, is the fact that we were able to turn it around with the warmth of service, good food and fantastic location.

The issue with the slow service from the bartender is not our acceptable mode of operation and I do apologize. This has been addressed with the bartenders to ensure the promptness in service standards is not compromised in future.

Once again, thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us.

Regards

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I booked 5 nights here for my bf and I months in advance. I requested a room with king sized bed and nice view the lady who took our reservation assured this, arrived at 2.30pm check in was 3pm never got a room till 8.40pm along with over 4 groups of ppl waiting on rooms. The room we eventually got was dirty and disgusting. The next day we got a better room for the next 4 nights. However nice resort horrible service & disorganised! Never again!!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for choosing the Turtle Beach for your recent stay.

We thank you for taking the time to review our resort and regret the inconvenience experienced when you arrived. Also that you were not kept informed of the reason for the delay which we acknowledge is not welcomed after a long journey.

The reason for the delay in having rooms ready was due to an issue in our laundry department. This was subsequently rectified and we have now introduced other backup plans to avoid repeat of these issues in the future.

Despite the discomfort experienced, we are thankful to you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your short holiday. Once again, my sincere apologies for letting you down, I do hope that you will reconsider and will permit us the opportunity to extend a warm welcome back to our resort in the future.

Sincere regards

Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

By the time we arrived here we had been in the Carribean for nearly 3 weeks - 10 days in Antigua, a 8 days in St Lucia and then Turtle Beach in Tobago. Perhaps we were therefore very ready to sample the truly lovely relaxed ambience, which I couldn't fault. Lovely long walks along the beach, opportunities to help the fishermen bring in their nets and watch them harvest their catch, turtles, and plenty of white sand and beautiful palm trees. Food and accomodation was fine and the staff were lovely. If you're able to holiday in the sun and enjoy what is truly a spectacular location without niggling about every small detail, Tobago and the Turtle Beach offer a fantastic Caribbean experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Very true to what we press so hard to deliver and maintain consistently, warm and friendly service, clean and relaxing comfort in a fantastic setting (location), and good food.

It is wonderful that the end of your Caribbean vacation was in Tobago at Turtle Beach by rex resorts and we were able to deliver to your satisfaction.

Thank you for choosing us, cause we are fully cognizant that there are so many options/choices available and I am indeed pleased that we were able to truly show our appreciation through our product and service delivery that made your stay with us and in the Caribbean a wonderful one.

Leslie Amedeé

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!