“Great Food, Great Atmosphere & Great Staff !!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Great Atmosphere & Great Staff !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We visited The Roxborough on two occasions on our recent trip to Jamaica due to reading about the restaurant here on Tripadvisor. We were based around 20/30 minutes away at an all inclusive resort in Runaway Bay, but we're so glad we made the effort to try it out. We had a fantastic time in a pleasant, safe environment and the food was excellent each time. The second time we visited on a Friday night live music was provided by a local band and this is a regular occurrence each Friday if you plan to visit. A big thank you to all the staff especially our waitress Angela. Please try it for yourself as you won't regret it and organise a local driver who will most probably stay with you all evening. Can't wait to return.

• Visited September 2012

London
“Sensational authentic food - gorgeous setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stumbled upon the Roxborough during a day trip from our hotel in Runaway Bay to Dunn's River Falls. It is on the seafront as you pass St Anns Bay. It is located on the sea front between the main coast road and the sea. It was lunchtime when we passed by, so we decided to stop for lunch. We sat at one of the beach front tables and the lunch was so good that we decided to return for dinner that evening. When we booked we were told that there would be live reggae music (Fridays is live music night). When we got back that evening we noticed that there were many local Jamaicans dining there - always a good sign of value and authenticity in a tourist area. I had marinated conch (pronounced Konk) for my starter, my wife had salt fish fritters and our companions had seafood soup. For main I had fish in beer batter with sweet potato French fries. The fish was among the best I have tasted - crisp batter and succulent white fish. My wife has rundown shrimp (cooked in coconut milk) she said it was mouth watering. Our companions said their garlic shrimp and escoviech fish were to die for. After dinner we joined the locals at the bar and partied the night away to a great reggae band. It was a truly memorable night. We will head straight for the Roxborough as soon as we get back to Jamaica. Highly recommended if you want to get away from the plastic tourist traps and sample the real Jamaica

• Visited June 2012
Brooklyn, New York
“I want to meet the chef!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I went to Roxborough Beach Bar quite by accident...it was on the same tiny peninsula outside St. Ann's Bay that used to house the Mug (where I have had many great meals AND drinks over the years!). A single traveler, I was looking for a safe, healthy place to eat. Who knew I'd find cloth napkin service and amazing food at a beach bar! The friendly staff made several recommendations and the first night I settled on a spicy conch salad followed by the escovitched fish with bammy. I almost cried with delight in the near dark of the restaurant as the waves played in my ears just beyond the bar. I decided to have my Friday night dinner before my early Saturday AM departure at Roxborough. As serendipity would have it, I even had a nice welcome from one of the co-owners.There was a lively band churning out some soulful reggae and R&B staples. My meal on that evening was the grilled lobster. Seasoned and charred to perfection, I savored my meal slowly as the band played. There was a nice mix of locals and visitors among the few guests that Friday night. I have been raving about this place to all who will listen since I got back! They were even quite generous with my Myers and cola...it was my first time being offered one shot or two anywhere. I was driving...so I was modest. And when you go, ask for the Jamaican specials! They really need to put the chef's picture up in the entryway...that person stands to become a hero for many!

• Visited March 2012
Miami, Florida
“FANTASTIC! Authentic Jamaica, great food, lovely setting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

My family & I were looking for a place to eat -- on the water -- near Ocho Rios or in Ocho Rios ... and all we found were either chain restaurants or cheesy tourist spots (usually not on the water) or questionable rum shops...until we finally drove west to St. Ann's and saw the Roxborough. Lovely open air setting, fantastic view, newly painted and furnished. My husband and I both ordered escovitch fish. (He's Jamaican and has high standards for this dish.) This is basically a whole fish, pan seared, with spicy pickle sauce on top. It was absolutely delicious! Excellent rice and peas. My daughter had a child's meal and liked it a lot. She also enjoyed walking along the rocky waterfront and looking for shells or driftwood. Very good service, good drinks, all good! Clean, pleasant bathrooms. I hope they maintain this facility. If you have to time drive the distance from Ochee, a must go! Not fancy, but very pleasant seaside place, with Jamaican classics on the menu. (It was not cheap, but then most restaurants in Jamaica aren't, since as an island so much has to be imported at great cost.) I'm not a big fan of Ocho Rios but will return to the area to eat at Roxborough and also Toscanini's (to the east of Ochee).

• Visited December 2011
Miami, Florida
“Best Bar and Grill Restaurant in JAMAICA!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This place has the best fish I ever tasted...it was well seasoned and presentation was fantastic!....The venue is also very relaxing ..Its right on the beach and the nice sea breeze just topped it off. The best part was the sunset in the evening ...We enjoyed that while having one of there amazing cocktails.
MUST GO TO THIS SPOT ON YOUR NEXT VISIT TO JAMAICA