“A great relaxing visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Turtle River Falls and Gardens

Turtle River Falls and Gardens
Eden Bower Road | Ocho Rios, St. Ann's Bay, Jamaica (Formerly The Enchanted Garden)
876-974-5114
Folkestone, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“A great relaxing visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

If you want a nice quiet afternoon,in lovely surroundings,this is a great place to spend it.Try and go late in the day as it can be hot,but well worth it.

Visited May 2013

Texas
12 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great Experience. We had a guide as well as a photographer with us the entire time, we felt like celebrities =). Grounds are heavenly. Had always wanted to be a guest at the old Enchanted Gardens, but never got the chance. I now see why the place is so special. Several water falls, beautiful landscape grounds. Could spend an entire day. Guided tour and once that is over you have the option to remaining on property and enjoy the pool etc. Well worth the price, and really enjoyed our time there. Learned about many flowers, plants etc, very informative.

Visited May 2013
Fredericton, Canada
54 attraction reviews
“safe safe and fun fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just back- 1 km. from cruise dock- walkable albeit uphill. Gorgeous property and totally worth the $20 admission as you have a guide and a guard who with you at all times. Really really nice and if you are like me, was looking for something safe to do.

Visited April 2013
Monterey, California, United States
“Go there. You won't regret it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

None of the excursions offered by the cruise line really interested me, but all the positive online reviews of Turtle River Falls persuaded me to try it. So two friends and I started to walk directly there from the port at Ocho Rios. A very nice uniformed man (tourist authority, I think he was) met us on a corner a block or so inland, and suggested we take a taxi, and found us a driver immediately who would take us for $5 apiece (each way). Since the taxi drivers at the dock were quoting a price of $50, we figured this was a bargain. He drove us up the hill, though the gates, and at the entrance building said he'd find someone to help us. Soon a young woman invited us into her sparse office, where she collected our $20 each and asked me to sign in on a sheet giving my name, how I got to the island, and where I heard about the facility.

Then our guide Jordan met us and took us up the trails beside the falls. We were followed by a photographer whose name I cannot remember (the optional photo CD at the end was $20). At one point we put on our water shoes and waded to a bench in the midst of the falls, and had our picture taken there. One friend and I are avid photographers, and Jordan let us take as much time as we needed. A couple of times along the way, he stepped off the trail to open a valve and let air out of the water pipes, and he told us in addition to being a guide, he's also the plumber!

After the falls, we went by the koi pond, where Jordan whistled and all the fish came over. Then it was the aviary, where the birds found my friend's wide-brimmed hat to be a convenient two-level condominium for feeding purposes. My other friend thought the bird feeding alone was worth the price of admission. After a quick hand-wash outside the aviary, we meandered back to the entrance building, where we waited for the photographer to burn our CD. Our taxi driver arrived to pick us up, and we went back to port.

Originally, we were told the tour would take about 45 minutes, but I asked the driver to come back in about an hour and a half instead, and we used up every minute of that and then some, and could have stayed longer. But we were getting hungry, and our driver was waiting, so we went off to Margaritaville for lunch.

Also, we bought bottles of water in one of the many shops at the port and took those with us. There isn't really a concession of any sort at the Falls and Gardens, so if you want to eat or drink, bring it along with you.

The facilities themselves are a little rustic around the edges, but the restrooms were clean and in perfect working order, the people were wonderfully friendly, and the natural beauty of the tropical rain forest and the falls (and the koi and the birds!) are unmatched.

After we left our ship back in Fort Lauderdale, we met up with some people who were waiting to board the next cruise on the same ship, and we told them about Turtle River Falls. I hope they find their way there!

Visited March 2013
Springville, Utah, United States
“Excellent Day trip for our family of four”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place came highly recommended on trip advisor and so on our last cruise in February we decided to give it a go. We didn't want to fight the crowds at Dunns River falls and we have two kids (ages 6 & 4) and thought this place would be better.

We were blown away by the sheer beauty of the place. Simply gorgeous. This is a little slice of heaven that nobody knows about. Even the taxi drivers didn't know what we were talking about when we asked them to take us from the cruise terminal in Ocho Rios to Turtle River Falls & Gardens. Just tell them Enchanted Gardens and they will know what you are talking about. Also don't let the taxi driver charge you more than $10 each to get there. It literally is five minutes at the most from the cruise terminal. You could even walk there if you wanted to. We got hoodwinked and definitely paid like $50 for our family of 4. The taxi van drivers in Ocho Rios really take you for a fool. Don't let that happen.

Anyway, back to the falls. My family really had a great time. My senior parents also came and were able to climb around the grounds fairly well. You start at the bottom and climb up to the upper falls. We enjoyed taking our time playing in the water and in the falls. Your guide lets you climb around and basically soak in the environment to the finest. Our guide Jordan was a great dude, but I felt bad as we all played in the water as he just sat there and kindly watched. As we climbed along the 14 falls it seemed they got more and more beautiful. I really felt we were in the Garden of Eden or something.

The best part of the whole excursion was that we were the only guests on the whole property. Literally. My wife and loved the solitude after being on a cruise ship for the week. We also felt this placed deserved more publicity because it is a rare gem in the Caribbean. We've been to waterfalls in Grenada, St. Lucia, Belize, St. Kitts, and this place blew them all away and it isn't even close.

After the falls we fed the Koi in the large koi pond and then went to the bird sanctuary where we had fun feeding the parrots and birds. My kids really loved that part. After the birds my kids swam in the swimming pool they have on the property and we found a relaxing spot on the edge of the pool area that was next to the river/falls. Very soothing and relaxing place. Like I said before we were the only one there that day and it was like we owned the place. Even if there had been other people there the atmosphere is so relaxing and beautiful. I would definitely go back. A great place to spend the day, very friendly and helpful staff.

The only drawbacks we experience was spiders. There were a lot on the property. Once when playing around on the falls I went a bit off the main falls area and ran into a spider web. I got a bite on the arm. I guess that's what you get for playing around in the jungle. Oh well. You've been warned ;) Other than that, this place was one of the real highlights of our Caribbean Cruise.

Visited February 2013