Start with positive things:
Beatiful area, nice relatively new and spaciaous villa (even for three), nice partial ocean view, challenging but worth-to-see beach access, really nice cousine at Ju-Ma-Na restaurant, very good hotel spa... Breakfast ok, but not something special or outstanding, just regular one with everything you possibly want to have for breakfast.
But those are one-time things.
Then all the "minus" things start:
Area is beatiful, but very far from everything. And taking into consideration horrible traffic - it is not less than one hour taxi trip from all the rest of the Island. Staff is probably OK, but most of the times with very poor English and sometimes strange: several times we ordered food to the villa, and even after they verify and repeat the order, they bring not what you ordered - so they had to change it.
Stupid dress code at the restaurant finally started to annoy. Upon check in we got some promo discounts for the restaurants we could not use because of the restrictions that were not mentioned when they handed the coupons in.
We booked the Island tour - and the hotel gave us only the driver (!), not even offering a guide. Generally, guest service office was very unhelpful in giving us an advice what to do during our stay. They almost ruined our New Year Evening dinner - long story to describe, but we could manage it the very last minute.
The other day I tried to exchange 150 USD for local currency. The front desk was able to give me exchange for only 20 USD, since they did not have enough cash. One day for almost 2 hours the was nobody on duty at the hotel pool - so we were supposed to take towels, water and everything by ourselves.
For three days in a row (not to mention that those were the only sunny days, not to blame the hotel for this of course) when we tried to relax next to hotel pool hotel staff right next to us (literally,10 m away from us) was mowing lawn with this noisy machine! Horrible noise at the Resort and Spa where you are supposed to relax completely. How about that?
One of the last mornings at the hotel started very early - at 9 am we got a call from housekeeping to clean our room. 9 am?!
The room cleaning service is a separate thing: if you are lucky you get a good one (we were, 3-4 days out of 12 days staying), if you are not - you will find some strange things in your villa which were not left by you: trash, ashes in the grass etc.
The very last drop did it - I had the longest check out in my life - 30 min. Just one example: the guy at the front desk who was doing it was not able to simply swap the credit card through the terminal :-)
Overall: this is NOT a 5-star hotel, poor management and unprofessional staff, who sometimes hide unprofessionalism by over-friendly words and guestures. Would NOT recomend to stay there.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali Hotel Ungasan
- Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali Hotel
- Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set high on the cliffs near to the Uluwatu Temple, Banyan Tree Ungasan brings definitive fine cliff top living to the renowned beach island of Bali. An all-pool villa resort located at the southernmost point of Bali, Banyan Tree Ungasan offers one of the best unparalleled views of the Indian Ocean, complete with a level of comfort and privacy synonymous with the Banyan Tree brand. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Splendia, Orbitz, Tingo, Amex, Otel, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.