“Kat's Kitchen Rocks” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kat's Kitchen

Kat's Kitchen
Jalan Uluwatu I, #132, Ungasan | Jalan Uluwatu II, #2, Jimbaran, Ungasan, Bali, Indonesia
+62 361 2728600
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 20 Restaurants in Ungasan
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Jimbaran, Indonesia
“Kat's Kitchen Rocks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I eat more often at the Jimbaran location.
Best Thai food I can remember having had anywhere. That includes Thailand.
All the curries are fantastic although I am addicted to the Pad Thai so usually have that with Fresh Spring Rolls or an order of Money Bags.
Beer always icy. Friendly and courteous staff. All you could hope for.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Indonesian first
Innsbruck, Austria
“the staff is horrible and kind of not interest!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

so i went there last friday because i was looking for an catering service near to my house in jimbaran.
i went inside nobody said hello, so i went to the small "frontoffice" and i asked if they would be able to make traditinoell balines food like " nasi goreng" for the catering, the answer was " we dont do catering" well why you have than outside the sign with*dinner*take away and catering?!! my answer was, the girls said: not have! i try to call the manager from there phone witch i could not understand bc of the " not realy well english" sorry for that! anyway the girls try to get rid of me insted of "cell a lot of food"?! -.- poor place.

Joseph S, Manager at Kat's Kitchen, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Lovely Staff

Dear Janine: Last Friday, my staff directed you to call me, which you did. You asked if we could cater for 40 people for the next day, and I told you we already had a large booking for that day. I explained that we could prepare take-away, but could not cater on such short notice. You asked for a discount, and I explained that our prices are already very low, and that we do not include a service charge. To that, you said, "fair enough," and stated you would come in later to check out the menu. After that, you somehow felt the need to write this scathing review?
Allow me to explain that we are a Thai fusion restaurant, and do not cook traditional Balinese food. All of our staff are local Balinese women, hired from the Jimbaran village area, provided with a very nice employment package. Maybe you would like to come in and explain to them how horrible they are?
Regarding catering, we need advance notice, to allow for the scheduling of staff and food preparation. We have catered many beautiful weddings and other events, and continue to do so. However, we will never be catering for you, Janine.
Kat
Manager/Chef
“They don't value local guests,racist attitude from the waitresses, will NOT come back!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just had the most awful dinner since 13 years living in Bali. We are Indonesians. I came to Kat's Kitchen Jimbaran with husband and our 2 yo son craving for some fresh thai salad. There was a closer Kat's Kitchen branch from our house which is in Ungasan, but from the last experience about 2 years ago when we saw a big mouse running around the restaurant, pointed it out to the waiter and received the unpleasant look in the face as if we were joking, we just can't go back to that branch anymore and thought the newer resto in Jimbaran would be a pleasant dining experience. Now I know from the first time, years ago we visited this place, the Thai Lady (owner?) at the cashier desk and the waitresses NEVER put a smile on their face every time we, the locals entered the restaurant. They're only friendly and 'look' sincere to the 'bules'/westerners guests.

Tonight, when we asked to sit on a table with long wooden sofa, it was marked 'Reserved', actually all the tables with sofa have this sign on the table (there was only 7 tables with the guests tonight,it was 9pm, nearly closed!). The waiter directed us to the smaller table, we asked for a high chair for our son, but since he refused to sit there like a baby, we asked to move to bigger table as we saw the previous guests had just left. The waiter said hesitantly:"hmm..ok but if there is a big group of tourist you will have to move again'. I was stunned because this is the FIRST time I heard a restaurant reserves the right to ask the guests who are enjoying (and chewing!) the meal to move when someone else needs the table. So we decided to stay on our table. During our dinner I noticed the waitresses never put a smile on their face to us, but they're like over excited to chat with the bules tamu/westerners/other asians guests. Again, we have noticed this since the very beginning we visited this resto, some of our indonesians friends also nod and agreed with us.

When I paid our bill at the cashier, I asked the girl why there are two westerners guests were given the bigger table like we requested, when there were 3 of us? This is the answer that made me in a BIG SHOCK tonight and still can't believe a fellow indonesian could say this to us::"oohh..they are DIFFERENT, those "bule" (westerners) are our LOYAL CUSTOMERS, they always ordered lots of food, and always brings friends to our place afterwards'. She also added the two westerners guests booked the table for six persons but only showed up 2 pax, which is understandable but NOT the first explanation.

Kat's Kitchen used to be our favorite Thai resto, even though the owner and staffs are never ever friendly to us. We have removed this restaurant from our list of recommendation to our blog readers and friends. This 'racist attitude' can actually be found in many cafes/restos in Bali, as the island is frequented by tourists from all over the world, often the locals have to receive different treatment from the staffs. I just thought this place should reconsider the new attitude of service. When there was an incident in Bali that made all the tourists gone from the island for some period of time, guess who were the 'loyal costumers'? Us, The Locals, fellow indonesians....

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Joseph S, Owner at Kat's Kitchen, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Gabby: We take all criticisms seriously, and value all of our customers equally. I am sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience in our restaurant. While I question the accusation of racism, I agree that there are times when our staff need to be more friendly with our guests, and are trying to improve in that area. They are very hard working, and sometimes while very busy, they forget to smile.
Please keep in mind that we are an inexpensive restaurant and our prices do not include a service charge.
Regarding our table usage, it is our policy to reserve large tables for large parties. Otherwise, we have no place for large parties to sit. I can assure you, race does not enter the equation on that.
We hope you will give Kat's Kitchen another try.
Joseph Scures
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Authentic Thai Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Best tom yum ever.... Liked it!!!! Fussion Pad Thai. Good coffe and cookies. Though it's a small resto but it's quite coozy to stay quite some times.

Visited April 2014
Denpasar, Indonesia
“Orchids in the toilet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Best authentic Thai food in Bali at good prices with daily blackboard specials. Aircon section with no smoking. Friendly and efficient service and safe parking. Check out the beautiful orchids in the toilets (which are clean).

Visited April 2014