“Love this beautiful place on Earth!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Karma Kandara

You added Karma Kandara to your Saves list
Karma Kandara
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Villa Kandara, Banjar Wijaya Kusuma, Ungasan, Bali 80362, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Direct Booking Offer
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Ungasan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Love this beautiful place on Earth!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Just back from another great week at Karma Kandara,

This is my fourth time to this beautiful place. Not everything is perfect. I have stayed at Hotel De Crillon, Byblos Hotel in Cannes, In Presidential Suite at the Hilton in Hong Kong etc..... This is 5 star in a different way.

A great day spa, the best I have been to in a long time. It reminded me of how absolutely gorgeous this resort is and the people that attend to you whist there you could almost think you had arrived into the clouds of heaven,,, Hopefully to young to do that yet.. and perhaps that Karma Kandara is the godly spot we all end up at if we are good!!!!

Pretty is not a word neither is nice as it devalues the whole experience me and me many friends that have shared this stay with me whom will also say amazing.

The Balinese have such beautiful smiles.

The renovations at the beach club are wonderful , the water is just so crystal clear and you have to try the dragon Sushi, it's sensational.. I tried the stand up paddle boards for the first time , not as hard as it looks and the life guards were darlings to help me with some lessons.

Got upgraded again to a three bedroom villa , this time in a different style but all such great space to enjoy . Much Bigger than my apartment in Sydney. I just love the outdoor open air bathrooms.

Watch out for the traffic when you try to go down town in the evening time you get stuck with cars from the temple coming back after sunset.

Prices in the restaurants are high but worth it and most good restaurants now in Seminyak are similar.

Going back again next year !!!!!!

Room Tip: Just enjoy the beautiful view and the lovely staff that do their absolute uptmost to make sure your...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Lisa Ann F,

It was a pleasure to have you back. Next time lets try the sunrise yoga or if you lucky we are also have Full moon yoga where you will have different experience.
Thanks again for your great feedback on the new look of the beach club as well as the villa ambiance. Look forward to your return.

Kinds Regards,

Rochelle Kilgariff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I just got back from a trip to Bali which was really good but made great by our experience here. Very often the service lets the setting down or vice versa. Karma Kandara has both in bucket-loads. No trip to Bali would be complete without this on the agenda! Loved it and will be coming back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Neil P,

Thank you for your feedback, we pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Again, thanks for your great feedback and love to have you back soon.

Regards,

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

My husband and I checked in to the Karma Kandara and contrary to what I have read from the last couple of reviews, our experience was completely different. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly , welcoming and attentive. I'm surprised when people write about stairs and having to walk! I'd like to point out that the resort is built on a cliff and that's the beauty of it! Fantastic view! Any resort in the world, built on a cliff, has stairs and people must walk. As for sea creatures, that's even funnier, hello that's the ocean! The beauty of this resort far out ways a few steps and couple of creatures living in their natural habitat.
We had a beautiful romantic dinner in the restaurant overlooking the ocean and pool. The meal was beautifully presented, tasted fabulous and the service was amazing! The Caramel chocolate desert was a winner! Actually entrée, main and drinks were FAB! Make sure you have an espresso martini!
The SPA.I have travelled the world, stayed in many famous hotels and I feel the ladies really know what they were doing and again you can't beat the view or treatments.
Our room, beautiful pool, everything we needed, everything worked, what more can you say! It was great. I think when you are starting to complaining about depth of pool or length, its time for a reality check. It's called a plunge pool, to enjoy in the privacy of your villa, not to train for the Olympics!
We met the Manager Rochelle, we congratulated her on her wonderful team, we could tell they all enjoyed their jobs and loved their working environment. Great Job Rochelle, we look forward to returning to your wonderful resort and enjoying everything about Karma Kandara.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kate_b,

Thank you for your great feedback, pleasure to hear you had a great time.
I will proudly share you comments to my great team, they deserved for their hard work and genuine service.

Looking forward to welcoming you and husband back again.

NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This hotel uses a lot of tricks including surprise charges at check out, and physically stopping us from leaving at risk of missing our flight by opening our taxi door on the side where my 6 year old child sat, then blocking our taxi with various hotel vehicles while claiming that I hadn't left an imprint of my credit card or signed their registration contract, threatening to call the "tourist police", finally releasing the door without so much as an apology when they realized they were wrong.
Not only had I put my credit card down upon registration, but also my confirmation letter says "Prepayment in full" as well as non-changeable and non cancellable, so again, how could it possibly be unpaid?

Pros
Food tasted good
Pretty

We booked here because our Indonesian friends have a time share here, and we wanted to be with our friends. We would have done better to book anywhere else in Bali and visit.

Cons
Location far from everything, even within Karma Kandara, you have to wait for a "buggy", even if you wanted to walk in the extraordinary heat and humidity (the hottest part of Bali) you can't find your way, there are no maps or plans of the hotel complex and the paths are mis marked. You must get a car and driver.

Facilities- deteriorating. We had 2 different "villa" accommodations, our air conditioning broke 5 times in one room, 3 times in the other, the safe was locked when we arrived in the second, and locked again with my jewelry inside, both times requiring a technician to open, water bottles supplied had expanded in their bamboo box decorative holders - couldn't get them out. The freezer let our ice cream melt, there was no hot water in the shower- I got to know the engineering staff pretty well... Faucets fell apart in my hand, sink stoppers were stuck, shower heads blocked with crud... the people who work here are really nice and come quickly for repairs and help- and we needed a lot of help. I felt penned in because I couldn't just go where I wanted, I needed to have someone come and get me to take me anywhere. They were nice enough about it, but it was still strange.

Bugs- mosquitoes are a huge problem. The hotel guide says there are coils under the sink for use with a terra cotta pot, and there are electric plug in diffusers they can plug in your room. Ants are also a problem, I opened a fresh carton of milk and poured into a mug for my son- he found ants in the milk.

Pools- the beach is pretty and shallow but there are dangers under foot, sea urchins and such so to swim we'd prefer a pool. There is a small curved pool around the hot not air conditioned dining "room", not suitable for much, and strange to be on view of the diners. Each villa had a small pool, differing lengths and depths- our friends' was no more than 18 feet long, our first was more than 22 ft long, and about 3.5 feet deep, our second was about 5 feet deep, so unsafe for my son, who swims but needs to be able to stand as well. I could not measure because there were infinity sides on all sides, which also sucked any pool toys over the edge.

Activities- the Monthly "events" calendar is simply ads. Kid events are making a small batik item or a cooking lesson for 20 dollars or so...

Comfort- No place provided to hang wet bathing gear. When I asked they supplied wire hangars we were to hang on the shade umbrella... A clumsy affair, and then it rained, and everything was wet again. There are NO feather pillows, only hard foam rubber type. In the first villa, there were no shades on the morning sun side, and the manager offered garbage bags to block the light. In the second villa, no drinking glasses, only coffee mugs and wine stems. Wifi was spotty and wouldnt support instant messaging. Outlets were hard to find and illogically placed ( e.g. I had to leave my computer on the kitchen table) light switches - easily 20 switches in the first villa, for accent lights, which left the rooms dark in any case, and no rhyme or reason in their placement.

Fees- already paying $640/nt, then being charged incessantly. e.g. We were invited to happy hour with "complimentary" canapés only to discover we must buy a drink to be eligible for the "complimentary" canapés. "breakfast included" means Danish and coffee "continental" breakfast. If we could have gone some place nearby for food that might be different, if there was an alternative, but there's nothing near.

Technology- They couldn't access their own confirmation letter at check in, I had to forward it to them, they don't answer emails, although my confirmation letter clearly stated in the comments section that we wanted to be near our friends, they put our friends next to a construction area with no possibility of a nearby room, a two page faintly printed checkout xerox on our bed told us we'd need to pay an airport departure tax in local currency, I didn't find the note until we went to sleep the night before our flight.

Children- the whole place is a hazard for kids, railings were just two wires a kid could easily fall through, stairs with no railings, pool far too deep for a child to stand, at least they had Disney jr and Nickelodeon, but I didn't bring my child to Bali to watch tv.

Management:. My personal concierge was just so relieved to be in air conditioning and let me entertain her, she offered garbage bags for the windows that were missing drapes, she said I could call upon her at her extension- but she was never there, when we moved rooms, I asked the operator to notify our friends we had moved so they could find us. Instead, the operator told our friends we moved and that didn't want to hear from them!!!!!!! Our friends left without us for the day, offended, and we were stranded at the hotel because we were depending on their car and driver. Finally we ordered a taxi but taxis only take cash in Indonesia, and I hadn't much cash on me. I asked the hotel to let us charge it to the room, so I could pay the driver. The staff at reception said "the manager is not here, only returning in the morning" and "our accounting department returns on Tuesday". The driver even offered to wait to be paid until Tuesday, and stlll the hotel refused. When we discovered they had told our friends we didn't want to see them, we had a shouting match between friends at breakfast and two cars with drivers instead of one, after traveling all the way around the world to be together, the hotel still refused to let us charge to to our card on file to pay the driver. Here it was the next morning, at 930am on a weekday they said the manager still wasn't in!!!! Once our friends realized the mistake the hotel made, they loaned us the cash so we could pay our driver.

Which brings us back to where I began this review... At departure, with the general manager suddenly popped up not only not offering us any accommodation or apology, she actually opened our taxi door, accused me of not paying the bill, threatened to call the police, and she was 1000% incorrect, she hadn't even checked her records before she made these outrageous assertions. Finally the staff told her we had paid, had a card on file, had already signed, and we escaped this terrible situation.

It appears that this hotel once was great and now is something entirely different.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

When we arrived to Karma Kandara, we were advised that the room wasn't ready yet. We were asked to fill out paperwork, as we were filling out the paperwork the receptions advised us that, these people who have just arrive were the ones that occupied the Villa. We couldn't believe what we had just heard as really you don't want to know who has been in the room prior to you.

Karma Kandara claims themselves as a 5 star resort but, really they should promote it at 3 star ratings. Staff need lots of training in customer service, acknowledgement and attention to detail. On a number of occasions we would eat at the restaurant Di Mare and we were served by the same person and not once in our whole 7 days did they remember what our Villa number was, constantly asking Villa number when we were using the main pool just underneath the restaurant. Even though we had just eaten lunch at the Di Mare, I would understand maybe the 1st and 2nd day but to be asked constantly what our villa was by the same person. This is Karma's problem when they allow non guest to pay $25 USD to head down to the beach, but instead they use the pool.

Also very annoying that Karma allows the local fisherman use their lift, for them to get to the beach while the fisherman walk past you smelling awful and you're trying to eat breakfast. No to mention the dog who was roaming in the restaurant!

There were only a hand full of staff that stood out who seem to care about you and asked how you're doing and if we were enjoying our stay.

Have to say a big thank you to Ms Neti and her staff who every time she saw me and my daughter she always asked how we were doing. Something that small makes a whole lot difference and for her to remember my daughter's name was an extra bonus. I advised if she could get crayons and some paper for the restaurant so the little ones don't start having tantrums, that way they are kept amused and quiet for the other guest who are enjoying their lunch/dinner.

The only person who even remember us all by name and even Villa number was Joni whom he delivered our room service for the first time, then when we would see him at the restaurant he would greet us all by our first names. Always willing to go the extra mile not only for us but also we noticed that he was amazing with other Villa guest and remembering their names.

Also our wonderful Spa Therapist who were all great. Made you feel at ease and when you were waiting for it to be your turn. They would all chat with you which was wonderful.

On our 5th day we were finally asked by Geoff how our Villa stay has been. To which we advised our bathroom had a bad smell of sewerage, but not everyday mostly when the people from the Villa upstairs would flush its when the smell would hit. He then got a some staff to come and have a look.

Thank you to all the buggy boys who picked us up and dropped us back to the Villa. Very efficient and quick to come and pick us up, to where we needed to be. Thank you boys.

Finally the french man at the Di Mare restaurant, always lovely and would come our and see us at the table for a quick chat.

Our only other complaint was the food. Must say the Nourish Salad was to die for and not too pricey. Anything that resembled a dessert or sweet and that wasn't an Indonesian dish was horrid. The only one that we gave it any sort of rating was the toffee from granny smith apple. All others don't bother.

On check out check your final bill and keep all your receipts. As we were going to get charged a car ride and an extra breakfast that we didn't order. Those 2 total amounts were to the value of $200 USD.

Personally Karama Kandara claims to be a 5 Star but honestly they really (management) should actually go to a 5 Star (like Ayana) to experience what 5 Star really means. Karma Kandara should only be a 3 Star. Don't get me wrong it has the potential to be a 5 star, but not sure what's happened. I think Karma Jimbaran has better service right from check in to check out.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear KazDas,

Thank you for your feedback, whilst I am concerned with some points that you have highlighted, rest assured that we are continually implementing New training programs to ensure that our guest’s expectations are always exceeded. We have a very strong social responsibility program to encourage the integration of Ungasan our local Village.

We have the village chief himself work for us. So hence we offer them to use the hill tram and be a part of our traineeship program. I must however apologies that this did create an unnecessary experience for you.

We are truly thankful for mentioning our extraordinary team members are and it has been my pleasure
to give them your valuable feedback.

We trust as our valued member we have the pleasure of welcoming you back. It would be my pleasure to invite you for dinner and show you personally the improvements we have taken.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I came from spending a week at Como Shambhala Estate in Ubud to Karma Kandara last week for a weekend with one of my girlfriends, and wow-ee, what a let down Karma was. Both Como and Karma claim to be 5 star, and I assure you that only one is, and it is not Karma Kandara. Karma I think would struggle honestly to be much more than 3 star.

Karma was a huge let down for my friend and I who stayed here for the weekend. We are very used to 5 star (which they claim to be), and especially given we were paying 5 star prices (in low season); the experience fell well short of what we expected and paid for. The only saving grace for this old, tired and shabby resort is the beautiful beach below it and the wonderful spa (which also tired and old but staffed by wonderful therapists). Awful value for money and I would not recommend this to anyone I know, unless heavily caveated by this little disclaimer "if you have no expectations and like paying high prices, stay here".

The reasons for this are below:

- the service is appalling (except for the spa where Tri and the girls are fantastic); this is made even more galling when you remember how much you are paying for your rooms. Forgotten orders (completely forgot our breakfast order 3 times - it never actually arrived), missed reservations (taxis that never arrived when they said they had called), requests for assistance ignored or forgotten (broken WIFI left for whole visit - no explanation until checking out when we complained again). We tried 6 times to get a late check out, and were told 6 times they would come back us, and never did, we had to chase and chase and chase until a manager finally help when I escalated my complaint. No attention to detail and disorganised. Made you feel like a number, and at times an outright hassle, not a guest. Also, I would have thought that paying $700+ a room a night might have entitled me to more than a paltry fruit platter and stale pastries for breakfast. I could go on, but won't bore you with additional lousy moments...

- the place is tired and old and you're still paying brand-new prices. The apartments are Spartan in their decor, not luxurious at all as claimed. My friend warned me before leaving that Karma was on the downward slide, but nothing could have prepared me for how far this slide had gone. Cracks in the walls, mustry smelling lounge areas, the towels in the room had make-up stains on them (disgusting), there were crumbs and marks all over the kitchen benches when we arrived. Just crummy. No pun intended. No attention to detail at all - and sloppy maintenance. Beds were rock hard and I had to get them to come and put doona underneath to make them "sleep-able".

- the "beach club" is so scungy, it's actually embarrassing for Karma. It looks old, dirty and not at all what you expect of a five star resort. I kept my thongs on when in the club and the place had such a "clapped out" feeling and vibe that I did not want to be barefooted. Gross, just gross. This is such a shame, because the beach itself is gorgeous. The water is clean, warm and divine. Also, surprisingly, the pizzas are really good here.

- restaurants - staff are at best vague and at worst dissmissive. On the first night I arrived and ordered room service. I ordered without dish specifically without shellfish, as I am allergic. It arrived, despite a long explanation on my part, with prawns and sea urchin. What the? Then, the next morning, we wander down to breakfast, and we were promptly ignored for over 45 minutes, then when we finally were permitted to order, our breakfast never arrived at all. When we complained, she said "it's too late for breakfast you should have ordered earlier" (uh, we did, like an hour ago). The restaurant, Il Mare, is not at all what it claims (5 star restauraunt my foot). The tables were covered in ants, and concrete floors crumbling. Very shabby overall. Food average and below (nothing was good or above); we avoided eating here after being served rubbery cod on the first night and being denied breakfast the next morning. We went over to Bulgari to eat, and this only highlighted the difference between an actual 5 star resort and Karma.

Good bits:

- the spa: the girls that run the spa are lovely and so helpful. The treatments I had, particularly the oxygen facial, was phenomenal. The views are fantastic, and if there are two of you, so worth getting the ocean view room. Thank you Tri and team, you were a highlight of an average stay.

Never coming back. Ever. Left feeling like we overpaid in a major way. Karma is barely saved by an amazing beach vista, and not much else. Give it some thought before staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms are sparsely appointed and average at best. I stayed in a 2 bedroom pool villa and was very u...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Legally_blonde1112 ,

Thank you for you feedback and my deep apologize only able to met you prior to your departure from the resort. Once again my apology for the unpleasant holiday however some maintenance need to be done and bit risk for the property located on the edge of the cliff as somehow we were easy target for heavy rain , strong winds and lightning strike , which was happen on end of January and of course this was not an excuse for our guest experience.

Other than that hope you still able to enjoyed holiday and wish to see you again

Surabaya, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We booked the three bedroom villa (number 19) for our family holiday. The villa condition is lower than our expectation and worse than other resorts in ungasan area.

The good things are, villa's living room is big and spacious, the kitchen comes with complete utensils, and the air conditioners in the living rooms are powerful to make our stay feel comfortable (even though outside is very hot).
On the other side, pool is a bit on the smaller side for 3 bedroom villas, and the bedroom is small so the air conditioner always breeze to your the face during your sleep. (mosquito net help to redirect air flow but the bedroom downstair does not have the net)

But, the breakfast at the restaurant is really great and something that we look forward every morning. It is one of the greatest feeling in the world to have breakfast on the cliff side restaurant with such an extensive menu. You would just forget time and enjoy one of the best view in Bali.

The service is very good, they are quick to attend to our need and was very understanding.

The resort's location is quite secluded and I would recommend hiring a car to get good eats as the room service is quite expensive.

Bottom line is, the resort and the service is up to luxury resorts standard, however the condition of the villas are worse than other luxury resorts in Uluwatu/Ungasan area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear JL_epicurean,

Thank you for your comment and glad to know that you enjoyed your holiday with us . I am excited to announce that we are currently in the process of refurnishing and upgrading our villas.

Thank you for the great comments on our service team , I have proudly shared that with all the team. I trust you will let me host you a one or two night when you are back in Bali next to enjoy our new look. Please let me know and I will be very happy to arrange.

Regards,
Rochelle Kilgariff

Been to Karma Kandara? Share your experiences!