“Average, not 5 Star!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Karma Kandara

You added Karma Kandara to your Saves list
Karma Kandara
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Villa Kandara, Banjar Wijaya Kusuma, Ungasan, Bali 80362, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Year End Sale - 40% OFF!
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Ungasan
sydney
“Average, not 5 Star!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

When we arrived to Karma Kandara, we were advised that the room wasn't ready yet. We were asked to fill out paperwork, as we were filling out the paperwork the receptions advised us that, these people who have just arrive were the ones that occupied the Villa. We couldn't believe what we had just heard as really you don't want to know who has been in the room prior to you.

Karma Kandara claims themselves as a 5 star resort but, really they should promote it at 3 star ratings. Staff need lots of training in customer service, acknowledgement and attention to detail. On a number of occasions we would eat at the restaurant Di Mare and we were served by the same person and not once in our whole 7 days did they remember what our Villa number was, constantly asking Villa number when we were using the main pool just underneath the restaurant. Even though we had just eaten lunch at the Di Mare, I would understand maybe the 1st and 2nd day but to be asked constantly what our villa was by the same person. This is Karma's problem when they allow non guest to pay $25 USD to head down to the beach, but instead they use the pool.

Also very annoying that Karma allows the local fisherman use their lift, for them to get to the beach while the fisherman walk past you smelling awful and you're trying to eat breakfast. No to mention the dog who was roaming in the restaurant!

There were only a hand full of staff that stood out who seem to care about you and asked how you're doing and if we were enjoying our stay.

Have to say a big thank you to Ms Neti and her staff who every time she saw me and my daughter she always asked how we were doing. Something that small makes a whole lot difference and for her to remember my daughter's name was an extra bonus. I advised if she could get crayons and some paper for the restaurant so the little ones don't start having tantrums, that way they are kept amused and quiet for the other guest who are enjoying their lunch/dinner.

The only person who even remember us all by name and even Villa number was Joni whom he delivered our room service for the first time, then when we would see him at the restaurant he would greet us all by our first names. Always willing to go the extra mile not only for us but also we noticed that he was amazing with other Villa guest and remembering their names.

Also our wonderful Spa Therapist who were all great. Made you feel at ease and when you were waiting for it to be your turn. They would all chat with you which was wonderful.

On our 5th day we were finally asked by Geoff how our Villa stay has been. To which we advised our bathroom had a bad smell of sewerage, but not everyday mostly when the people from the Villa upstairs would flush its when the smell would hit. He then got a some staff to come and have a look.

Thank you to all the buggy boys who picked us up and dropped us back to the Villa. Very efficient and quick to come and pick us up, to where we needed to be. Thank you boys.

Finally the french man at the Di Mare restaurant, always lovely and would come our and see us at the table for a quick chat.

Our only other complaint was the food. Must say the Nourish Salad was to die for and not too pricey. Anything that resembled a dessert or sweet and that wasn't an Indonesian dish was horrid. The only one that we gave it any sort of rating was the toffee from granny smith apple. All others don't bother.

On check out check your final bill and keep all your receipts. As we were going to get charged a car ride and an extra breakfast that we didn't order. Those 2 total amounts were to the value of $200 USD.

Personally Karama Kandara claims to be a 5 Star but honestly they really (management) should actually go to a 5 Star (like Ayana) to experience what 5 Star really means. Karma Kandara should only be a 3 Star. Don't get me wrong it has the potential to be a 5 star, but not sure what's happened. I think Karma Jimbaran has better service right from check in to check out.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear KazDas,

Thank you for your feedback, whilst I am concerned with some points that you have highlighted, rest assured that we are continually implementing New training programs to ensure that our guest’s expectations are always exceeded. We have a very strong social responsibility program to encourage the integration of Ungasan our local Village.

We have the village chief himself work for us. So hence we offer them to use the hill tram and be a part of our traineeship program. I must however apologies that this did create an unnecessary experience for you.

We are truly thankful for mentioning our extraordinary team members are and it has been my pleasure
to give them your valuable feedback.

We trust as our valued member we have the pleasure of welcoming you back. It would be my pleasure to invite you for dinner and show you personally the improvements we have taken.

Warm Regards,
Rochelle Kilgariff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I came from spending a week at Como Shambhala Estate in Ubud to Karma Kandara last week for a weekend with one of my girlfriends, and wow-ee, what a let down Karma was. Both Como and Karma claim to be 5 star, and I assure you that only one is, and it is not Karma Kandara. Karma I think would struggle honestly to be much more than 3 star.

Karma was a huge let down for my friend and I who stayed here for the weekend. We are very used to 5 star (which they claim to be), and especially given we were paying 5 star prices (in low season); the experience fell well short of what we expected and paid for. The only saving grace for this old, tired and shabby resort is the beautiful beach below it and the wonderful spa (which also tired and old but staffed by wonderful therapists). Awful value for money and I would not recommend this to anyone I know, unless heavily caveated by this little disclaimer "if you have no expectations and like paying high prices, stay here".

The reasons for this are below:

- the service is appalling (except for the spa where Tri and the girls are fantastic); this is made even more galling when you remember how much you are paying for your rooms. Forgotten orders (completely forgot our breakfast order 3 times - it never actually arrived), missed reservations (taxis that never arrived when they said they had called), requests for assistance ignored or forgotten (broken WIFI left for whole visit - no explanation until checking out when we complained again). We tried 6 times to get a late check out, and were told 6 times they would come back us, and never did, we had to chase and chase and chase until a manager finally help when I escalated my complaint. No attention to detail and disorganised. Made you feel like a number, and at times an outright hassle, not a guest. Also, I would have thought that paying $700+ a room a night might have entitled me to more than a paltry fruit platter and stale pastries for breakfast. I could go on, but won't bore you with additional lousy moments...

- the place is tired and old and you're still paying brand-new prices. The apartments are Spartan in their decor, not luxurious at all as claimed. My friend warned me before leaving that Karma was on the downward slide, but nothing could have prepared me for how far this slide had gone. Cracks in the walls, mustry smelling lounge areas, the towels in the room had make-up stains on them (disgusting), there were crumbs and marks all over the kitchen benches when we arrived. Just crummy. No pun intended. No attention to detail at all - and sloppy maintenance. Beds were rock hard and I had to get them to come and put doona underneath to make them "sleep-able".

- the "beach club" is so scungy, it's actually embarrassing for Karma. It looks old, dirty and not at all what you expect of a five star resort. I kept my thongs on when in the club and the place had such a "clapped out" feeling and vibe that I did not want to be barefooted. Gross, just gross. This is such a shame, because the beach itself is gorgeous. The water is clean, warm and divine. Also, surprisingly, the pizzas are really good here.

- restaurants - staff are at best vague and at worst dissmissive. On the first night I arrived and ordered room service. I ordered without dish specifically without shellfish, as I am allergic. It arrived, despite a long explanation on my part, with prawns and sea urchin. What the? Then, the next morning, we wander down to breakfast, and we were promptly ignored for over 45 minutes, then when we finally were permitted to order, our breakfast never arrived at all. When we complained, she said "it's too late for breakfast you should have ordered earlier" (uh, we did, like an hour ago). The restaurant, Il Mare, is not at all what it claims (5 star restauraunt my foot). The tables were covered in ants, and concrete floors crumbling. Very shabby overall. Food average and below (nothing was good or above); we avoided eating here after being served rubbery cod on the first night and being denied breakfast the next morning. We went over to Bulgari to eat, and this only highlighted the difference between an actual 5 star resort and Karma.

Good bits:

- the spa: the girls that run the spa are lovely and so helpful. The treatments I had, particularly the oxygen facial, was phenomenal. The views are fantastic, and if there are two of you, so worth getting the ocean view room. Thank you Tri and team, you were a highlight of an average stay.

Never coming back. Ever. Left feeling like we overpaid in a major way. Karma is barely saved by an amazing beach vista, and not much else. Give it some thought before staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms are sparsely appointed and average at best. I stayed in a 2 bedroom pool villa and was very u...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Legally_blonde1112 ,

Thank you for you feedback and my deep apologize only able to met you prior to your departure from the resort. Once again my apology for the unpleasant holiday however some maintenance need to be done and bit risk for the property located on the edge of the cliff as somehow we were easy target for heavy rain , strong winds and lightning strike , which was happen on end of January and of course this was not an excuse for our guest experience.

Other than that hope you still able to enjoyed holiday and wish to see you again

Warm Regards,

Surabaya, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We booked the three bedroom villa (number 19) for our family holiday. The villa condition is lower than our expectation and worse than other resorts in ungasan area.

The good things are, villa's living room is big and spacious, the kitchen comes with complete utensils, and the air conditioners in the living rooms are powerful to make our stay feel comfortable (even though outside is very hot).
On the other side, pool is a bit on the smaller side for 3 bedroom villas, and the bedroom is small so the air conditioner always breeze to your the face during your sleep. (mosquito net help to redirect air flow but the bedroom downstair does not have the net)

But, the breakfast at the restaurant is really great and something that we look forward every morning. It is one of the greatest feeling in the world to have breakfast on the cliff side restaurant with such an extensive menu. You would just forget time and enjoy one of the best view in Bali.

The service is very good, they are quick to attend to our need and was very understanding.

The resort's location is quite secluded and I would recommend hiring a car to get good eats as the room service is quite expensive.

Bottom line is, the resort and the service is up to luxury resorts standard, however the condition of the villas are worse than other luxury resorts in Uluwatu/Ungasan area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear JL_epicurean,

Thank you for your comment and glad to know that you enjoyed your holiday with us . I am excited to announce that we are currently in the process of refurnishing and upgrading our villas.

Thank you for the great comments on our service team , I have proudly shared that with all the team. I trust you will let me host you a one or two night when you are back in Bali next to enjoy our new look. Please let me know and I will be very happy to arrange.

Regards,
Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I'm conflicted on my review of Karma, I'll try to explain as best I can. We got married at Karma Kandara in July 2013 on Nammos beach, and stayed there 3 nights with almost all our guests. We reserved 4 4-bedroom villas, 1 3-bedroom villa, and 1 1-bedroom villa for our 40 guests. First I can say that our wedding was perfect in every way, I couldn't have asked for a better day! I'll always have great memories of Karma because of that. Overall, I had a dream wedding in a dream location, so for that I'm giving Karma 4 stars. It was definitely expensive, but at the end of the day I was really happy. I did feel like the resort was a little stuck up, and could have been more accommodating. Its a beautiful venue, but unfortunately the way it is run makes it fall a little short.

1. AMAZING view and beach. As far as dramatic locations, you can't beat the cable car down to the private beach. The restaurant, pool, and bar area are also amazing for the view. This is really the reason to come to Karma, and what makes it all worth it!

2. Location - for us this was a positive, Karma is out of the way, but thats what we were looking for. If you want to be near nightlife and things to do outside the resort, then its quite far out when you factor in traffic.

3. Breakfast was great, something for everyone. We had a "day after" brunch at the restaurant, and ate there a number of times for other meals. Some of the dinner items were amazing, some just ok. Drinks were pricey, but really really good!

4. Service from event planners: The event planners were very helpful. We hired private wedding planners, One and Only Bali Weddings, who worked with the hotel wedding planners. The only negative here was that while were planning the event there were new event planners a number of times. I guess there is high turnover? Luckily for us, we had One and Only Bali Weddings who worked with the hotel for us. I highly recommend them! I would recommend having your own wedding planner just because of the high turnover at Karma.

5. Nammos beach: the beach is so fun! snorkeling, sun beds, and the best part is that it is (relatively) private. This means no getting hassled or sold anything and its a great relief. Yes, people can buy entry to the beach, your aren't allowed to own a beach, but still the feel is that it is private for Karma. Yummy pizza at the restaurant.

6. Service from staff was great. Everyone in our group was very happy with the service from the hotel staff, restaurant, etc, but you would expect this from a 5 star resort.

7. Villas were beautiful. They were smaller than some of the other villas we stayed in in Bali, but they were very nice. Especially the bathrooms with outdoor tubs!

8. Wedding: basically everything about our wedding was a "positive". We had the Asian Seafood buffet option on Nammos beach. We had an open bar and selected the cocktails we wanted to serve. The cocktails were delicious! So was the dinner. Everyone was really impressed with this part. The drinks are expensive, but we felt the day was really worth it. The Karma event planner set up a "cigar lounge" with cigars for the men. We ended up renting chairs, and doing the dance floor and decorations through our wedding planner (outside Karma). You have to buy the food, drinks, and fireworks through the hotel but we were very happy with all those parts.

9. The negatives we had were that there were some issues with the rooms when we checked in. Other hotels that we stayed at with our wedding group were very prudent about helping organize our guests and making sure things went smoothly. When we checked into Karma we found that one of the 4-bedroom villas, where we had planned to sleep 4 couples (friends), only had 3 bedrooms with bathrooms, and one that was just two twin beds and no bath. This would have been fine for a family, but it was not our understanding of how the 4-bedroom villas were set up. The other 3 4-bedroom villas all had 4 bathrooms. Our guests who were supposed to have that room were upset. The hotel did not have any other available villas. We ended up having to do some room shuffling, which caused a some drama. Then, in another 4-bedroom villa one of the bedrooms had mold in it, and smelled of mold, to the point where it was not usable. The couple who was supposed to be in that room ended up sleeping on sofas. This was frustrating for us because its not what you would expect from this kind of resort and at the price you pay. We had a looonnnng discussion with the manager when we checked out, who, in the end, discounted both of those rooms. They also updated the information online about the one 4-bedroom villa with 3 baths. In the end it worked out, but while I greatly appreciated the discount for those rooms what I was really more concerned about than the money was that all my wedding guests were happy, and that for our wedding stay things go as smoothly as possible. The last thing you want to be dealing with as a bride is stuff like this! The fact that we even had to have a long discussion with the manager about our rooms was a frustrating experience. This may sound spoiled, but we felt that since we were having our wedding there, and had brought 40 guests to the hotel, they could have gone out of their way to help us smooth things like this over. Every other hotel that we stayed at during our Bali trip with our huge wedding group of guests seemed to know us by name, and really go out of their way to do things to make sure we were ok, and make sure that we had a special stay (come on, even the airlines bring you a cake on the flight when they find out you are getting married!). We did not feel like we got the same "extra special" treatment at Karma. They do tons of weddings, which might be part of the reason.

10. One thing to be aware of if you are planning a wedding at Karma, there are a lot of fees for all sorts of things. Especially if you want to bring in something and not use their services for any part of the wedding. This is pretty typical of resorts who do weddings all over the world, so just keep it in mind when budgeting. The prices are high, but this is also "normal" for 5 star resorts. Our biggest expense was drinks. We brought in our champagne, and there were very high cork fees. Expect to pay 10-15 usd for a drink.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lalalani,

Thank you for your comment and constructive feedback in details on your wedding. I can understand all your concerns and thank you . I am truly happy that you have great memories of your wedding . We have made adjusted and updated information on room description to avoid any further confusion. I trust you will let me invite you back for a night or two when your next in Bali to celebrate your anniversary with us so you can see the improvement we made.
Please send me email or contact me directly

Kindest regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic place for a honeymoon or family stay if you are very rich! Beautiful location and facility. Very out of the way so if its night life you are after you will be disappointed and bored. But for rest and relaxation it's amazing

• Stayed November 2013
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Kimistyle13

Thank you for your review , we are very proud of our Beautiful location and facility. We truly enjoy our secluded setting and the advantage of having a private beach . I hope to welcome you back some time soon and let me treat you to a spa treatment….that is relaxing and amazing on the cliff

Kind regards
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

No faults at all stayed two weeks with the wife like a second honeymoon :-) The spa was good and the two bed apartment we stayed in was superb. The staff were friendly and genuinely helpful. Best of all was our personal concierge she was outstanding !!

Room Tip: Two bed villas are best
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Hydrous ,

Congratulations on your second Honeymoon, We are excited to read your great feedback. Especially regarding our Private Concierge , all designed to make your holiday extra special and have everything taken care of.
See you for the third Honeymoon we trust.

Best regards,
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We just stopped in for one night but the place was lovely. Most definitely recommend the spa which was amazing. The service in the spa combined with the most fantastic view over the sea made it one of the best massage experiences i have ever had! Even one night was enough to was away the stress of the week. The beach is amazing too and not to be missed. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Gabygabriella,

Oh yes one night is never enough .. Thank you for your wonderful comments. Our Spa and Beach are unforgettable. We look forward to welcoming you back some time soon for some more beach and spa time.
many thanks

Rochelle Kilgariff

Been to Karma Kandara? Share your experiences!