“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Karma Kandara

You added Karma Kandara to your Saves list
Karma Kandara
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Villa Kandara, Banjar Wijaya Kusuma, Ungasan, Bali 80362, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Direct Booking Offer
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Ungasan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My daughter got married here. Several dozen friends/relatives stayed in the villas for a few days surrounding the wedding. Aside from the beautiful beach, which is the reason my daughter chose it, there is little to recommend this place. The villas as a whole and each room within the villas are a bit cramped and offer fewer amenities than comparable places. It is overpriced. The restaurant is likewise overpriced and limited in selection. The location is far from anything, with a drive of 30 minutes to get to Jimbaran. The staff (including and/or especially the manager) had not the slightest interest in working out problems that we encountered upon arrival. For example, one villa that we booked online as a 4-bedroom turned out to only have 3 real rooms plus a portion that could be separated with fold-out walls/screens, but with no shower. This might be fine for a family but it wasn't for the 4 couples who did not know each other who were designated to sleep here. The manager's response was, "Didn't someone tell you when you booked that it wasn't really a 4-bedroom?" Of course not. We booked online, and the only info that the online sites have is whatever info the hotel supplies. In another 4-bedroom villa, the downstairs rooms were unusable because of mold and mildew. No help whatsoever from the manager. So we had to make do. I'm a patient guy and never raise my voice over anything, but left with the impression that the manager shouldn't be managing anything, especially not this hotel. The people who were friendly and helpful were the groundskeepers. If they ran the place, I'm certain I would have enjoyed it more. By the way, my daughter's wedding was fantastic down on the beach. Our Bali-based wedding planner told us his company was in a constant struggle with Karma management and basically the wedding turned out great in spite of the hotel. Would I stay here again? No.

Room Tip: The villas that I saw were all different from each other, each with its own quirks. Some have a lar...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Cliff

We were privileged to have been chosen as the venue for your daughters special occasion.
I am very concerned to read your feedback and disappointed that you feel this way. I would like to personally reply to your comments above via email. I trust we can regain your confidence in our beautiful resort.

Rochelle Kilgariff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

what a beautiful and relaxing place to holiday, the villas are perfect. When we arrived we were given the wrong room, but after notifying the staff, the issue was resolved promptly and to everyone's satisfaction. The views are spectacular, the meals are great and staff were very courteous and efficient. This place is away from all the hustle of Kuta and I highly recommend for a relaxing getaway.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Steve

Thank you for your positive comments with regards to your recent stay at Karma Kandara and I am happy to hear that our team were able to efficiently rectify any villa issues for you so that you were able to enjoy your stay. Look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back some time soon.

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was fortunate enough to have stayed in Karma Kandara for 3 nights. There were 6 of us (traveling with 2 infants) staying in a 3-bedroom luxury pool villa. Everybody was happy - we love our spacious villa, we spent most of the days in the resort only (I wish we could have stayed longer!). The food at Di Mare restaurant was awesome. The view at the main pool & Di Mare restaurant was spectacular! We didn't mind taking line to wait for the tram to go up as we were very busy with our cameras! :)

The only thing minus is that there was less privacy in the private pool (we stayed in villa #45) as people who walked down the front street could see you, and other villas (on the front and left) also had a view to our private pool. Nevertheless, I would still recommend Karma Kandara to those who love quiet place and really want to relax and escape from busy/hectic city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Lullaby14

Thank you for your positive feedback of your recent stay at Karma Kandara and it was a pleasure to have you and the family with us. Being Bali’s largest collection of 3 & 4 bedroom villas, this offers a great alternative for families or groups travelling together such as yourself and we hope we can welcome you back again on your next trip to Bali.

A appreciate your feedback with regards to the villa that you stayed within and will be speaking with our gardening team to provide greater privacy in and around this villa.

General manager
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We have stayed in many hotels in Bali (The Legian, the Intercontinential, the W, Kemah Tingghi, Semara Seminyak and more) and have always been very happy. Until now. This was the most disappointing Bali experience.

A very underwhelming hotel, particularly for the money.

The good things are: the view – which is truly breathtaking; the staff at the kids club - who were very warm and caring; the relaxed feel of the resort; a decent supply of water and milk (I am clutching at straws to find good things).

The bad things: I could write a very long list of every way in which this hotel missed the mark. To name a few –

1. On arrival there were plates from previous guests outside our villa. I advised reception within about an hour. They were still there more than 24 hours later.

2. On arrival at either the beach club or the beds around the main pool, you would not be offered drinks or towels and would (eventually – on one occasion after more than an hour) seek them out yourself.

3. I rang housekeeping at 7am the day before we were leaving to advise that I had some washing for collection that I needed returned that evening (well within the noted requirements for same day service). At midday when I returned to the room it had still not been collected. When I rang to follow up I was told that they would let me know if it was still possible to get it done by that night. At 5pm I was told someone was coming to get me to sign a form with prices before they would even start processing the order! Needless to say they did not get it to me by the evening so that I could pack. So very badly managed.

4. The first time we used the cable car down to Nammos with our two young children, we had to queue up to get back (not the only time we had to queue). The attendant invited other guests (from a wedding) to go ahead of us. That in itself would have been fine if she had asked us if it was ok, but she didn’t. In fact, she did not even acknowledge what she had done; while our tired children waited even longer in line. We then had to catch the cable car up with the men taking up the smelly rubbish. Not a good start.

5. The boards around our villa pool were broken and dangerous. Despite me advising management, nothing was done about this at all during our stay.

6. The staff at Di Mare restaurant and Nammos had no idea about service. There was no consistency. We had to ask for everything, twice. They missed parts of our order altogether on more than 1 occasion.

7. The food at Di Mare was decent. The food at Nammos was less than average. A greek salad with no olives and no fetta – although when I did ask for the fetta mentioned in the menu I received a small plate with a chunk of fetta. Having had the Greek salad at the Semara just the day before, the difference in the quality of the product was marked. Another complaint was that while our breakfast was "included" if you wanted granola that was another approx AU$8. Why?

8. We had to ask (twice) to get our mini bar topped up with soft drink (once).

9. They were unable to change currency.

It really is a shame, the property has such potential but misses every mark. They desperately need someone to come in and train their staff properly, redecorate the villas and generally give what is otherwise a nice quiet location a total revamp.

We will not be back, and if we had not pre paid our stay I would have left half way through. We could have been at The Legian or the St Regis for less money and exceptional service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear AlwaysDreaming

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about Karma Kandara. We take your comments very seriously and use them in our efforts for ultimate guest satisfaction.

I have investigated each of the issues that you have mentioned with great concern and spoken with the relevant departments to ensure that necessary training procedures are being followed.

With regards to your laundry items we like to ensure that all items are signed and accounted for so that the correct number of items are returned to you without any discrepancy and apologize that this delayed your packing.

We acknowledge that access to Nammos beach club, especially during busy periods, can result in a wait for our hill tram. We do prioritize each of our in-house guests and events guests and appreciate your patience during this period. We are currently in the process of ordering an additional line to Nammos which will ease the traffic flow and also provide an alternative to transport the produce to the venue.

I would be happy if you would like to contact me directly and I will personally ensure that your next Karma Experience would exceed your expectations should you wish to return.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at this property in June 2013 for 4 nights in a two bedroom villa. The outlook is magnificant and the facilities were the same. We have two boys and we spent most of our time at the beach, where the staff were extremely friendly towards us and our boys. The staff spent hours playing soccer with my boys the other kids on the beach plus kept a close eye on all the patrons and their safety whilst swimming. Our Villa was wonderful with its own pool, kitchen, and all the modern conveniences. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer. The management were attentive and courteous. We enjoyed the BBQ on the beach one night which was a great experience as we invited some friends to join us, again we were very well looked after by the staff. I think by the time we left my kids knew all the staff who genuinely seemed to enjoy their company. I had a massage on the beach which was very relaxing with the sound of the waves in the background. Thanks for showing us a great time...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear IanuEm

Thank you for your positive comments with regards to your recent stay at Karma Kandara and it was a pleasure to have you and the family here with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back hopefully for a longer stay when you would be able to try our full week activities including our Monday movie night on the beach under the stars which is a must!

Nelson, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We spent a week in a two bedroom villa as a result of being upgraded from another Royal property. Villa 72 was a recent build and both bedrooms were located on the same level with our pool area receiving sun until about 2pm. A couple of other villas (71, 74 & 75) do face towards the sea however the two bedrooms are on different levels. Several of the other villas in this phase V build were still being fitted out however there was no contruction noise. Free Wifi was provided at the restaurant, beach area and at the room. It was a five minute walk to the di Mare restaurant via the walled pathways which are quite steep in places – good to have some exercise after plenty of relaxation. The daily fresh fruit and twice daily towel changes were appreciated. There was no problem with monkeys as these villas are well away from the bush areas.
This was our first week in Bali and Karma was the ideal place to relax and unwind in a luxurious environment. The taxi ride from the airport at 1am cost Rp150k. A taxi ride from Karma to the Nirmala supermarket on the Uluwatu road only cost about Rp25k each way.
Most days we ate breakfast and dinner in di Mare restaurant. Whilst the prices were dearer that in other Bali hotels, di Mare provides a fine dining experience at half the cost of a similar meal back home. Service was excellent without being intrusive.
Nammos beach is a unique relaxing area accessed via the lift from di Mare restaurant area. Staff at the beach were very good, providing towels and loungers to suit our needs. An interesting experience was dinning at Nammos whilst watching a movie on the beach.
The only downside to our stay was some local dogs barking / fighting for 30 to 45 minutes on three nights. Written instructions for the room safes should be provided as we had an issue with the very brief verbal instructions provided at 2am on our arrival.

Room Tip: If you are willing to walk to di Mare and don't need a sea view then villa 72 is great with litt...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LandN449

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Karma Kandara. We are happy to have our new phase V villas within our inventory to offer a wider guest experience to those that visit the resort.

We have many plans for phase V which will include an additional restaurant and pool amongst many other facilities in order to enhance your stay next time.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We loved the location and the views and the room we had was lovely, however the service does not match the rest of the property. Employees often seemed not to know where they are supposed to be and at meal times I orders were never repeated, resulting in the wrong food being presented. This is something small but makes quite an impact at a hotel of this level. I must say, they tried to get things right, it just did not work. It seems like many staff are still in training

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear April

Thank you for taking the time to visit Karma Kandara and share your valuable feedback with us. We always endeavour to ensure that we are exceeding guest expectations and apologize if this was not shared with you during your stay.

We are continually providing training courses to our staff to ensure that service levels are at an optimum and I will personally be reviewing this to ensure our standards are flawless in the future.

Rochelle Kilgariff

Been to Karma Kandara? Share your experiences!