“Quiet location; TERRIBLE SERVICE!” 2 of 5 stars

You added White Beach Bungalows to your Saves list
White Beach Bungalows
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Fe | Marikaban Beach, Philippines   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Bantayan Island
“Quiet location; TERRIBLE SERVICE!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My family visited this resort for 5 days last December 2012. I should start by saying, the moment we landed Cebu AirPort, we expected the private van (recommended to us by the owner) to be there and pick us Up to send us to Hagnaya port (where ferries to Bantayan are stationed). Unfortunately, when i phoned the driver, he was so shocked coz he forgot about our arrival. So we ended up waiting for him for 20 mins or more. We were Very disappointed coz we have already arranged the holiday with the owner months before December and i even phoned the Driver from abroad two weeks before our arrival to remind him.

Then, Jenny (the owner's) wife told us to sms her the moment our ferry Is on the way to Bantayan already so she can arrange one of her staffs to pick us Up from the port to the resort, therefore i did sms here. We arrived in Bantayan port and nobody Is there for us and i had to call her again and ask what happen? She said, the Driver Is on the way. Again, we had to wait for about 10mins.

We arrived At the resort and we were welcomed by friendly staffs with a welcome drink. Good enough! We were told that they only serve breakfast but we can order food deliveries from other restaurants but has to wait not more than An hour for the food to be delivered. It was ok for us. We ordered food and waited about 45mins indeed. That was ok coz we were already informed about it.
However, on our 3rd night, we ordered food from Jenny for dinner and after An hour and a half, the staff told us that one of the menu we ordered was not available so what should we order to replace it? We were shocked again coz it Took them An hour and a half first before they informed us probably because Jenny was too busy talking to her mates and on the phone that she forgot about our order. She must have noticed that we are not Very happy, she then drive her bike on way to the Restaurant where she ordered the food and brought us our food after another hour. She only said that the Restaurant was Very busy without apologizing At all! Fancy that huh? While our 10 year old daughter was already starving that she decided eating biscuits instead. I must commend El (the guy staff) for apologizing to us and offered us a free drinks instead but we relinquished the offer coz we were that disappointed but we told him not to worry coz it's not his fault.

That night itself we have pre-ordered our breakfast for the next morning by 9am. And yes, we ordered it from Jenny again. We woke Up by 7:30 and by 9 am sharp we ask for the breakfast to be serve already and what they said Is just wait a bit. That 'wait a bit' ended Up to be another hour and a half! Fancy that again?

That day we decided to go have a look At the island and ask the guy staff to pls have our bungalow cleaned and he said yes no problem. We were out for atleast 6 hours and when we Came back to our Room, it has not been clean while the guy staff with some other staffs were busy facing the laptop! Thus, we had to wait for another hour for them to clean our bungalow.

Again, there was no apology received! So my husband and I begin to wonder, was it because the staffs and the owners themselves are being ignorant or it has something to do with the island's culture?

Tell you guys, u have to be there to experience it! Me and my husband have been traveling couple of times before but we never experience service as bad as we had from white beach resort! I wrote this not to criticize the resort itself coz personally, it alright for us. But hopefully this will help the owner realize that above all else, for people, great service matters most.

Nevertheless, we wanna thank the other staffs like COCO, VILMA, THELMA and the other girl (I forgot the name) for being so kind and helpful. We really appreciate your help guys!

All the best!

Joy

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I booked this hotel based on reviews from TA. I ended up leaving before even checking in. The specific reason was the terrible beach. We dropped our bags in the room upon arrival and walked out to the beach. The beach was not sand at all. Felt like packed dirt. I walked into the water and my feet sank into mud. Then when I pulled my feet out as I walked the water turned murky under a cloud of mud. Its was so disgusting. The photo's on their website are not the beach in front of the resort.

The only reason I came to Bantayan Island was for the stunning beaches. This beach was totally unacceptable.

After some arguing with the Manager (AKA owners girl friend) I just decided to leave even though I was told to pay. I probably would have paid something but the manager/GF was so unprofessional I just decided to leave without paying. We had not been officially checked in such as filling out or singing any forms. The owner was in Cebu so could not talk with him.

I ended up moving to Yooneek Beach resort which was great. I was later visited at Yooneek by one of the workers from White Beach demanding payment. Since I had received a text message from the owner stating I would not be able to leave the country and be arrested at the airport because I left without paying, I decided not to negotiate any payment for their lack of professionalism. I told her just send the police, I will be here waiting. The photo's on the website are misleading, as I showed her from my samsung galaxy tablet. I felt cheated. I would be happy to talk to the police. If they say I have to pay, then I will pay. The employee from Yooneek who witnessed the entire discussion later said its happened before...people leaving White Beach and coming to Yooneek then owner comes and demands payment.

I gave it 2 stars because the Modern Apartment which I reserved was pretty nice. No complaints about the room..for the 3 minutes I was in there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I have been backpacking for a long time through many countries and wanted to find a nice place off the beaten track to enjoy a romantic escapade in Philippines. We stumbled upon Bantayan Island and White Beach Bungalows and after arranging everything with Gerry (the owner) we arrived to what would be one of the most romantic weeks of our lives!! Gerry and his fiancé, Jenny, made sure our stay was as comfortable as possible, they are truly great hosts. The bungalows are simple but cozy, beautiful relaxing atmosphere and amazing scenery. We were taken on a boat tour to do some snorkeling and to a private beach which was absolutely breakthaking! The local people are polite and often very welcoming so it added to the overall experience. Although there is no actual restaurant on site, you can easily go by scooter to Santa Fe town and go to one of its many restaurants, or they can bring the food to you.
If what you are looking for is a romantic getaway, this is the place to go! Complete value for your money too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We are couples from the USA and we use to stayed there for 4 days in a modern Apartment and enjoyed it very much. It’s a quiet and romantic place with many wellness offers: relax pool, gym room, table tennis, beach volleyball, massages, beach walking, swimming, snorkeling, and the best: breakfast from 7 to 17:00!

We liked the outside grill, where they prepared our fresh fish and steaks served on our terrace.
Sometimes we went out with our scooter to one of the restaurants in downtown Santa Fe. You can also order their food from the resort with delivery service.

The boating tour to Paradise beach and their Coral Garden was very exiting. Just 20 minutes walk distance on the beach there was a Mangrove Park, also nice to make photos from each other. We walked also a lot through the small village and I must say I never met met so many friendly people.
There were no beggars and no salesmen, who want to take advantage from the foreigners.
The place is clean, safe and worth to visit a second time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We are 2 couples from UK. “Paradise Beach” is the name of the neighbor beach of this resort - perfect for swimming!
While the resort beach of the “White Beach Bungalows” is a natural coral beach – ideal for relaxing, facing the Coral Garden with plenty of fish and colorful corals – ideal for snorkeling!
Me and my girlfriend stayed there 1 week and at the beginning there was a little sea grass after a storm, but after next day it was away. We also rented a scooter and a motorbike and drove the whole highway of the island, which is 35 km long.
The accommodation was cosy and clean – so was the small relax pool 3x3 meters, where you can sit in and enjoy your cocktail of the day. The staff and the owner couple were very flexible, concerning our individual needs and wishes, because they have only 5 – 8 units. Customer care becomes reality here.
You must also try the heal massage from their “wonder healer” (living in the jungle) I had back problems since years and no western doctor could help me. One massage 10 minutes from the wonder healer and it was away!

The meals we mostly ordered from outside with their delivery service. We could choose from several menu cards in the resort and let them serve it on our terrace, where we enjoyed the beautiful sunset.
It’s a magic place and we will come back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I like this place because it is not yet so crowded. In the future, this will become the next Boracay. I am glad i came here before it becomes flooded with guests. So as not to spoil your night tours, bring a lot of mosquito spray. I swear the mosquitoes have teeth like nails. I see a lot of my skin got holes to the nerves,

Room Tip: Choose the cottages, it is very comfortable to sleep at.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We were two couples staying at the White Beach Bungalows end of November. It was our first time to Bantayan and we were impressed by the beauty of the island that is not crowded by many tourists yet. The White Beach Bungalows are located a couple of minutes away from Santa Fe and most of the other resorts on the island. Therefore it is a really quite place that is just perfect to hang out in paradise for a couple of days. The place has all you need: cosy and clean bungalows, friendly staff, good service, a nearby coral reef etc. Also it is a very safe place.
The German owner, Gerry, is a great host that is taking care of visitors very well and will support you with getting things organized.
White Beach Bungalow maybe is not the place, if you are looking for a luxury 5 star resort with all its amenities. However, it is a little paradise that is still affordable and makes you feel like home if you just want to hang out for a couple of days, far away from the buzz of your everyday life.
We were very happy staying at this place!

Room Tip: There are not so many rooms. The ones we had made all a nice impression.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to White Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!