“great place, great food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
UK
“great place, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Will be visiting again very soon. Loved the food and atmosphere on my first visit about 5 years ago. Went back last October and it was even better than I remembered, so good that we ate there both nights when staying in Eze. Great place, hope it will be just as good when I visit next weekend!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
London
“One of my favourite bistro restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have been going to the Cafe de La Fontaine for a number of years and it is one of the restaurants that I always enjoy eating at. You should ring in advance and book a table in French as the restaurant is always busy with a wide range of people; residents and tourists. There are 2 sittings in the evenings and there may be more than one sitting at lunchtimes. I tend to reserve a table indoors, but I tend to go when the weather is bad as the Cafe doesn't have a great outlook in comparison to the rest of the Cotes d'Azur. Service is perfunctory, brisk and usually fairly attentive, depending on the number of staff they have, but sometimes you have to go to the bar and ask for what you need. The ambience is bistro, fairly cramped and noisy from conversation so don't go expecting a quiet or a rowdy night. The food is wholesome, sufficient, delicious and well priced and if asked the waiters will try to describe what is being offered as helpfully as they can; around €7 for a starter and around €15-€20 for a main course; some may wish to have 2 starters or just a main course and puddings are generally delicious. The menu and the limited wine list are up on the blackboard; the wine list is usually well chosen and will appeal to those who know and enjoy wine, or would like to. One of the attractions of eating at Cafe de la Fontaine is that you can get some very good wines by the glass that will be appropriate for the dishes you choose; heaven! Some of the waiters will make a wine suggestion if asked for a match with the food. I should add that this is probably one of the best value restaurants in the area in terms of quality of cooking and wine selection, and I have found that the diners are fairly gregarious as well; it makes for a fun lunch or supper whether as a couple or a bigger party.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rome, Italy
“average food and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have come here a couple of times with a local friend. It's a good and reliable place, favored by many locals it seems. The restaurant was packed, including the tables on the sidewalk outside. Service was fast though some of the waiters/waitresses were clearly inexperienced, but they did a good job. Fish was almost finished when I ordered so they prepared a dish of red mullet for me, it was OK. Many regional wines, reasonably priced as far as I could tell.

We ordered natural mineral water and got a bottle of tap water. Ehen the check came they had billed us for mineral water, but promptly corrected the mistake when we told them. My friend said this is not the first time it happens to him. They should really be more careful about this.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Athens, Greece
“Average food for average customers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Not having a reservation, on a Monday night, when everyone else was closed, we were put -2 persons- to sit on the pavement, outside, beside a torn plastic screen-protection, on a rainy evening. The waiter immediately asked if we wanted an aperitif or champagne, but we hardly felt like drinking champagne next to the plastic screen. We thought he was joking, but we ordered a kirs. Lots of foreigners inside, who seemed quite content. We ordered fish, for first and second dish, the two dishes looked alike. They also tasted alike, but they were ok. Fish was frozen of course. For desert we ordered ice-cream, but it was tasteless and rather old. We told them so. With a small jar of red wine we payed about 80 euros. Lost money, we thought.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Reading, United Kingdom
“Still really, really good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was my third visit and it is still excellent, Really good value for money, generous portions. Booking (even for lunch) is a must as on a rainy Thursday in early April there was not a table free.....

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere