“Budget backpacker” 3 of 5 stars

Phuket Backpacker
165 Ranong Rd | T. Taladnaue, A. Maung, Phuket Town, Phuket 83000, Thailand   |
“Budget backpacker”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed in a 2 person room for 3 nights. It is purely a very basic room to base yourself in when you're in Phuket. Its not in a very lively area, Phuket Town has very little to offer tourists especially at night. It was nice to walk the town and see Phuket Old Town but otherwise its probably better to stay somewhere else if you're looking for a busy area with lots to see and do.
Walking into the dorm area isn't very welcoming. Its down a passage and then there are 5 levels and flights of stairs.
Overall it is very basic, a plain room and basic bathroom facilities to base yourself if you have plans on exploring all of Phuket. You won't be spending much time in your room!
Hire a scooter, but check if there's fuel because they don't fill up for you.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed in Phuket backpacker for 6 days whilst I was visiting the island.

Firstly, the facilities are basic but absoutely fine - they have everything you need. Dorms are in 4s or 10s, you can also get a private room with AC if you want too, there is a common room and a chillout zone and access to a computer if you need it.

Secondly, the location of the hostel is great, it is next door to a 7/11 where all the local buses leave from, its roughly a 20minute journey to kata beach or 20minutes the other way to Chalong where you can visit big buddha (the biggest buddha temple in Thailand).

Finally, the real selling point of the hostel (for me and a lot of people I met there) is the staff and the atmosphere there, they are mega fun and are only too happy to help you if you have any questions.

Highly recommended hostel!!!! :)

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As mentioned the rooms have everything you need. Warm water...ac etc. Its clean and after a horrible matraze in koh phi phi it was pretty comfi. I would not come back here because of the extremely bad service..this is a huge part of a hostels personality. The staff was never able to give us good advice about any activity concerning phuket. Businformation you could ask any randomn and ull know better. They sent us by bus to the big buddha not knowing that the bus doesnt bring u up there the 6 km steep hill to the buddha u have to take a cab for extra 200-300 goin down no way if u havent told the same cabdriver to pick u up one hour later and then u pay again. Nothing like that was mentioned ..going down we luckily found people in a rentalcar and they took us in the back - otherwise taxidrivercharge u extreme prices. That was only one example ...asking them about any info concerning taxi or bus whatever just makes no sense! (I mean checking things like that out on the internet could be one thing but thete is nothing better than asking the locals - they just know it) Also asked for a simple orange banana juice ( said extra without yoghurt a few times - since milkproducts and orange is not working together) but they just didnt care charged me 99 baht and that wasit. As i
said the rooms i can recommand but the rest made me quite disappointed.

• Stayed November 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014 via mobile

the staff is nothing less than great! Always super friendly and always willing to give you information or help you out in any situation. They booked our excursions and any cab if we needed. All in all a great atmosphere. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

The worst backpackers ever, no door in the bathroom just an horrible plastic curtain, no hangers, nothing. CRAZY HIGH prices for nothing. The staff? Unfriendly, rough and they are there just to suck money from your pockets.
This is what happened: it was the krathong festival, and I was looking for some information about it. They were building their own krathongs (little boats made by banana leaves and flowers). I love artcrafts and I joined the group, the staff told me that it was 50 baths to use the materials and DYO and if i wanted to buy one at market was very expensive (100/150 baths).
I made my own with lots of pressure by the staff, using what was left from the group (no choise of flowers, worse leaves). The staff wanted to clean the table and I had to finish it in a rush, even if I was not satisfied about the result.
When i walked around the city, I saw that the price for a beautiful krathong was 30 baths. THEY LIE!
But ok. It's fine. The morning after we asked information to get to Khao Lak. We knew that the songhatew is the cheappest way to get around, and we asked if the pink one goes to the bus terminal.
They said that it doesn't stop at the terminal and there was a man ready to give us a ride by motorbike for 50baths each. (The songhatew is 10 baths each!!!). They told us that the only solution was walking (20mins). We walked. At the station we saw a songhatew stopping. THEY ARE LIARS!!!
PLEASE PEOPLE, OPEN YOUR EYES AND RECOGNISE A TRUE SMILE FROM A FALSE AND MEAN F*** SMILE.
AVOID THIS PLACE.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

I stayed there for 4 nights during the Phuket Vegetarian Festival. The staff was extremely helpful and sweet, espacially girls who worked there. They help me to rent a bike and every time when I need something, they did everything what they could to make me happy:) I stayed in 4 bed dormitory room. It was clean and nice. The bad thing is, that it looks like a prison, but no worries about that.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

We stayed one night at the backpackers hostel in Phuket. We slept in a four person dorm room with bunk beds. It's a clean hostel, everything was fine. Only the airconditionin during the night was pretty cold. It works only automatically from 21:30 in the evening until the morning, but no way of turning it down a bit. Other than that it was a good and cheap place to stay.

• Stayed October 2014

Been to Phuket Backpacker? Share your experiences!