“You must see this in your life!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 236 Activities in Phuket Town
5.0 of 5 stars 925 Reviews
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: After 12 years designing and developing one of the World's most highly awarded Ecotourism companies, John "Caveman" Gray goes his own way by forming "John Gray's SeaCanoe" with 18 of his most loyal and experienced guides. "After 12 years in Phuket, the experiment ran its course and I was packing for Polynesia," says Gray, "but when all these guides showed up, I had no choice but to stay and do another start-up."
5 attraction reviews
“You must see this in your life!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Excellent enthousiastic team that takes you to more than one paradise with there canoes. The beaty of the nature is impossible to describe.
On the boat they cook a good meal and they entertain you with flower art and fishing
All the guides are trained by john gray's team, they learn everything on the spot. They know they have the most beautiful job in the world, so they do their best to serve you. Up till now this is the highlight of our 2weeks journey!
Keep up the friendly and enthousiastic approach!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We booked this trip on recommendation from friends who had previously done it as there are many Sea Canoe trips in Thailand but this is quite different as you do . The tour includes lunch and dinner and your own guide per two people. We had a fantastic day/night, the food was outstanding and the crew were very entertaining. Our guide was very informative and we learnt lots about the caves, hongs and wildlife. The highlight was making the kratongs and lighting them in the hong at dusk and the plankton sparkling in the cave at night. This tour is more expensive then others but was well worth the extra money as. A wonderful trip and would highly recommend it.

London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Absolutely amazing.. Till one guy let the team down at the very last moment!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Had a lovely day with John Gray Sea Canoes. Our guide Mario was lovely as was most the crew, and the trip was interesting and fun. Even the lunch and dinner was nice, which is a first for a Phuket tour for me! It was an absolute joy.... until the very last moment and is the sole reason for the poor review.. Upon disembarking the boat (I was last except two stragglers way back) I felt a tug on my bag and turned to find one of the crew had undone it. He giggled it off, and being alone with my son I decided to give him the benefit of doubt that this was a cheeky game and laughed it off (or perhaps being alone instinct made me laugh it off). On reflection I'm finding it really hard to see the joke in his actions and am quite disgusted by it actually! I doubt very much he would have pulled that "joke" had I not been alone with a kid! What a shame I was seen as an easy target by what I hope is just one bad apple amongst many good!

Visited August 2014
lingyai45, Owner at John Gray's Sea Canoe, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Dear Searsy82,

I want you to know that we took your comments very seriously and did a full investigation. We have ZERO tolerance for theft or any impolite behavior.

We discovered that one of the boat crew (not our staff) had - I emphasize “Had” - a reputation for petty theft. When we discovered this and he was confronted by our guides and the boat owner, the Bad Apple resigned and the boat owner sends you his apologies. (We contract our support boats.)

I emphasize that we have never had such a problem before, and our guides/cooks also send you their apologies.

Next time you come to Phuket, we invite you and your son to join us for another Hong By Starlight trip.

See you on the water,

Ling Yai
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We booked this trip via the Marriott at Mai Khao Beach in Phuket. It was a well organised and very enjoyable trip. I shared a canoe with my eleven year old daughter and my partner was in a separate canoe but we all travelled through the caves as a group.

Our guide was knowledgable and gave us lots of information about the caves and the wildlife within the lagoons. The boat was comfortable and the food was really outstanding.

The making of kratongs and the demonstration of the ceremony was something very special and particularly memorable as was experiencing the bio luminescence of the plankton in the dark.

A great trip, enjoyed by everyone an highly recommended.

Visited August 2014
“Experience of a lifetime! Best tour ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

There seems to be operators selling tours on every corner so I decided to do some research. The best reviews came up with exquisite tours run by Miss We. We decided to go with the John Grey island canoeing tour. Best decision we ever made. It was a bit more expensive but the tour was just so unbelievable it was almost priceless. Great guides, amazing food, absolutely beautiful locations. I'd do it all over again! Highly recommend!