“Unreliable” 2 of 5 stars

Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Unreliable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Have had 2 experiences with this company, first they forgot to collect us at a Patong hotel, the agent drove us to the wharf in his own car. The second attempt was on October 19th. Once again failing to send the minibus we phoned them to be advised that as the weather was bad they had cancelled. We made our own way to the wharf to find that most boats were operating and the cancellation was caused by lack of numbers of clients.

Last minute cancellation without notification in completely unacceptable. There are several operators offering fishing trips in Phuket. I would suggest that you use another company

Visited October 2013

Bruxelles
3 attraction reviews
“The only mistake of a 3 weeks trip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Hi all,

we checked this page before booking with them. We wanted to trust Mark P as he said "WOW! today just may have been the best day of my life.". Damn! Or this account is fake, or ...

This company, the day, the food, the fishing was disapointing. But I won't criticize or shout at them. I will just explain what a fishing day trip with Sommai is.

Arrive on the boat

Don't say hello or anything. They don't even explain you how will be the day or what you can/can't do. They just don't speak to you except with gestures or by doing the things for you.

A kid will come with cards from 1 to 14. You pick one. I had the n°5. They don't even explain you what it is. We asked but no answer.

The boat leaves. They put 6 fishing rods at the back of the boat. That's it.

When a fish is caught by one of the rod, you understand the reason of the cards. They call NUMBER 1. Number 1 sit on the chair at the back of the boat and use the rod for like 10 seconds. Then when the fish is near the boat, they asked number 1 to move, they take the fish into the boat, give it to number 1 for a picture and then number 1 can move back to his seat. Number 2 can be ready.

FYI: too bad, they only got 2 fishes that day so only number 1 and 2 had 10 seconds of fun. Number 3 to 14 had no chance.

Then they stop somewhere. They give you a fishline (not with a rod, just the "cord" on a ring). You put squids parts on it and try. You don't even know how far you should put the squid in the water. They don't care. They are just too busy preparing the "lunch". Lucky me, I got 1 small fish in 1 hour time. We were 3 lucky basterds on the boat. 11 people didn't get anything. But seriously: with just the fishline, you don't even have the impression you are fishing. Then the boat move next to a touristy beach full of other boats, lunch is ready (and disgusting and cheap - dived during 5 days and all the time excellent, this time not.

Then, they proposed us to just snorkel around the boat. They were throwing the rest of the food into the water, which is really not recommended. Ok.

Then going back.

Worst day of my holidays. Definitely. I would not recommend them... at all!

Oh BTW: they asked 2700bats. We paid 800. Already too much.

Visited April 2013
“DO NOT WASTE/RISK YOUR MONEY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Firstly we arrived at the boat on time which in Thailand seems to be a bonus! There were 10 of us and we all noticed only 5 rods available for trolling which instantly showed we would be Sharing rods and as I went on my own, this was not good news. You are not told this when you book.

The weather was appalling and we were only on the water for 2-3 hours with absolutely no fishing involved. We were all shocked to see we were arriving back at port with absolutely no discussion from any staff and no input on the decision to turn around from the passengers. When we got off the boat we had no apology what so ever and we literally got back on the mini bus back to the hotel. The cheeky ******* even tried to sell us pictures of us from before we got on the boat.

My hostels receptionist rang up asking for a refund and was told they would not be issuing any sort of refund to any passengers. I emailed them directly asking nicely for my money back which ended up being £50 or a 2 hour uncomfortable cold boat journey instead of what should have been around 8 hours of fishing. I have received no reply from either my email or my Facebook email.

Do not risk your money with his company, they are only thinking about money. They over book the trips for more money. They ignore complaints an any other worries from passengers. They are not friendly or co operative. We were not told where to get water on the boat. We had no safety talk when they knew the sea would be incredibly rough.

There are plenty over companies you can go with that I'm sure must be better than this fiasco of a company which seems to be run by a group of profit hounding amateurs!

Visited June 2013
Perth, Australia
“SOMMAI Fishing Disaster Phuket”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I recently went on a fishing trip with Sommai Fishing.

We travelled (12 of Us) for 2 and a Half hours to get there! and the bottom fishing caught was 1 Medium fish total for the day, That was the lunch! (they don't let you keep) . As we had only fished for under (ONE) 1 hour, all that time was wasted travelling there, and Trolling time.
They'd would be better off not travelling so far a distance, 2/half Hrs each way i.e. just go out into the bay, and spend more time just bottom line fishing, (Preferably with RODS) the Trolling is a complete waste of time. We did no POPPING or JIGGING
The hand lines they use are not any good, and very difficult to wind in (They need handles on the inside of the reels). They do need to provide RODS, as we were having to pull them hand lines up all the time to move on, within the Hours fishing.
Then one gets hassled by the locals to buy the photos back at the wharf.
I paid 2,500 BHT. Don't You, if you must go with this Tour, you can get it for 1,200 as did most all of the others who only paid 1,200 BHT, More fool me!

Visited May 2013
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Avoid these terrible people”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Right off the bat they arrived 15 minutes late to our hotel. We ended up arriving at the boat nearly an hour late. Maybe they need to review their times there. Then they crammed 12 people plus 2 staff onto the boat. We physically fit up not terribly comfortably. There wasn't enough rods or reels for this amount of people.

We chose the it game charter and paid 3500baht each for the big game experience. The biggest fish we caught was 40cm max and we all thought these were bait fish.... They weren't. They made us take turn because of lack of equipment and my wife on caught one 30cm fish.

Their brochures claim that their experienced staff will teach us trolling, popping, jigging and bottom fishing. They taught us nothing. They set up the trolling and then handed us a rod. There was no popping or jigging. They're en handed us per set up bottom fishing reels. With no instruction and only enough reels for 3/4 of the people on board people we arguing and not many catching.

We were lucky that we got a swim next cause I think a few people needed to cool off. We then had lunch which was ok. They cooked up some fish we cause and then some fried rice and deep fried chicken. It was nothing fancy but was good for something cooked on boat an overloaded old boat.

We then started trolling home. When I asked the partially English speaking fisherman about the size of the fish he stated that good fishing is in July and you never catch anything during feb. I really wish they have told me this when I booked. I also checked forums and websites and everyone says feb is meant to be great for fishing.

After not much luck on the long trip back we arrived at the dock where we were harassed about buying photos because our taxi was late. We then had to wait 30 minutes for a different taxi driver because ours didn't turn up. After it all I arrived home over 30 mins late with nothing to show for it.

No good pictures or big fish and an overall dissatisfied day. I've been on many tours on Thailand and overseas but none as bad as this. I would avoid them as their are many better ones out there.

The surprise was that other fishing tours spoke to us while we waited for our late taxi and they seemed much better. I should've went with another company to avoid this shocking disappointment.

Visited February 2013