“Very impressive” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
“Very impressive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is the hotel exactly in my dream. Fell in love with it at first sight. The scenery across the hotel is great, especially the main pull where you can chill out enjoying the romantic sunset. Breakfast is great with variety of food to choose for .. and very nice staff. Love it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Artty2001,

Thank you for your amazing comments. I am naturally delighted that you had a wonderful experience with us.

I truly appreciate your kind words and I certainly hope it won’t be too long until your next trip to The Westin Siray Bay.

Thomas Mueller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend in January. We chose the Sala Pool Villa, which had a small plunge pool that overlooked Siray Bay. The villa was nice and well maintained.

Check in and check out was quick. We arrived early for check in and our room was already ready. I also had to request late check-out as our flight wasn't until later in the day. The staff were very accommodating. I got a massage at the spa, which was nice.

The resort is built on a hill and you can take buggies everywhere. It's also a nice exercise to walk up and down - ie. to the gym and the pools located in various parts of the resort.

We had a wonderful stay and will definitely consider this resort again next time we're in Phuket.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear corky_c,

Thank you for providing your review. It is great to hear that you had a wonderful stay in our sala pool villa.

I am glad that you spent time enjoying our resort facilities such as Heavenly Spa by Westin and the pools.

Once again, thank you for your refreshing comments and I look forward to welcoming you to The Westin Siray Bay in the near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I wanted a nice relaxing weekend in Phuket. And despite all the negative reviews on service, I ignored it and booked The Westin Siray Bay Resort anyway (I'm fairly low-maintenance). My mistake! I will never doubt a TripAdvisor Review again.

Here were all the issues:

1. As everyone notes, the hotel is located on a hillside. Our room, 1511, was the highest point (lovely view), but furthest from the lobby. Three times we called for a ride to the lobby (one time to dinner), and three twice they didn't show. About 80% of the time during our stay, we walked to and from the lobby (and these are steep hills). One time, we actually thought they did show when two guys came to the room with a buggy. They got off, and told us to wait. They went into a room for about 10 minutes, came back and told us to call again and that they had to go. Ridiculous! If you do stay at the Westin, get a room closest to the lobby as possible.

2. The Concierge's "desk" doesn't have a sign. In fact, they shift people so often, I'm not sure if they even have a concierge. One time, there wasn't even a person there. After zero response to my plee to the front-desk to call for him/her, I actually went behind the desk and looked through all the folders myself so I can pick a dinner restaurant. I even helped another couple as well. My first time working for a hotel that I paid to be serviced, but why not?

3. Dinner at the hotel Asian fusion restaurant was another mess. They were so understaffed that the entire row with outdoor seating couldn't even get water for 20 minutes. Everyone was so flustered with what they were experiencing, we literally had a bonding experience with the couples front and behind us. We would all raise our hands, and a waitress would just hold her hand out to wait. We couldn't flag anyone down. I laughed and joked with the people around us. It was the only way to lower our anxiety. The food did come fast after ordering, but it wasn't great. Don't eat there.

4. For booking tours, it appears the Westin outsources this to another company. They have a desk at the main lobby, but she was unfriendly both times we approached her. No smile. It was like pulling teeth to have her show us her portfolio. When we asked her a question about a specific tour, she made me feel like I was taking up her time (there wasn't anyone else there!).

Some positives... at night, the resort is quite scenic. The lighting.. the ocean.. everything is just really romantic and peaceful.

I think there's a lot of potential, but as a form SPG Platinum member who still loves Starwood for both business and leisure travels, I have to say that this hotel's service falls below expectations. I really question the management team there.

In summary, Phuket has a lot of great choices, but the Westin Siray is a thumbs down.

Room Tip: Pick a room close to the lobby.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ghktravels,

Thank you for providing your feedback.

I apologize for the issues regarding buggy service, concierge, dining experience and tour desk which you have encountered during your stay. I have personally discussed with our relevant managers of the concerned areas. I appreciate your comments as this will guide us to improve experience for other guests in the future.

I apologize that we did not meet your expectations this time around. I hope in the future you would grant us another opportunity to restore your faith in The Westin Siray Bay product and service.

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

On our third trip to to Phuket, we stayed at the Westin Siray Bay. What a gorgeous property. The resort is situated on a hillside overlooking Siray Bay on the southern coast of Siray Island, which is adjacent to, but not actually contiguous with Phuket Island because an inlet of the Andaman Sea cuts between them. The resort is only 3 or 4 km as the crow flies from Phuket Town, but is secluded because of hilly terrain. It's a good thing the resort is inclusive because it's not convenient to walk off the property to go anywhere. There is a shuttle that goes to various Phuket tourist zones, but you must reserve your seat a day in advance, and the bus leaves about 8:30AM, returning around 4PM.

The resort is arranged on a open floor plan; common spaces are covered but not enclosed, with modern decor that takes advantage of the natural lighting. Guest rooms are clostered in bungalows all over the hillside. To get from the main lobby to your room, you could either hike, or you could wait for the bellhop to drive you up the hill in a golf cart. We usually opted for the golf cart. My room had floor-to-ceiling windows, including windows in the bathroom, with sweeping views of the bay and Phuket Town. Floors are dark hardwood. The room also included 2 beds dressed with crisp white linens and memory foam mattresses, a spa bathtub large enough for two svelte adults, a separate enclosed shower, and a 40" flat panel television on the wall with international cable channels (CNN, RAI, RT, Al Jazeera, NHK, et al). The room also has a small balcony where you can enjoy the lovely vista.

We spent much of our time at the Horizon pool, an infinity pool with an amazing view of the Bay. The pool offers Happy Hour every day between 3:30 and 5:30 with 2 for 1 deals on beverages. The specialty cocktails are all tropical, but the bartenders can make a traditional cocktail if you so please. Great, funny, friendly bartenders. But who wants a Manhattan when you can have something icy with mango, lychee or passionfruit? As an American, it is also worth noting that the well rum is Cuban (Havana Club). Can't get that stuff in the States. Bacardi, eat your heart out.

Dining options are nice. One night I had dinner at EEST, the pan-Asian restaurant on the property. The food is okay -- it is toned down for tourists. I wish there would have been more daring local options on the menu. I had a lunch of noodles at Seasonal Tastes. Nice, but again, toned down. Seasonal Tastes has the breakfast buffet in the mornings. Breakfast is a wonderful array of Thai and Western options. I think I put together a full English breakfast for myself with a side of khâo tôm (Thai rice porridge). Extra bacon. Always extra bacon. Restaurant service is impeccable. The restaurant staff is international so English is definitely proficient, but some may not speak Thai.

There is a private beach, but because the property is situated on a hill, it can be a bit of a walk to get up and down from the beach. And it may have been because of recent inclement weather, but the Bay isn't as clear and blue as most beaches around Phuket.

We took advantage of the tour concierge and booked a day trip to Racha Yai Island. The rate for the tour was 1800 baht per person, which is a bit more than I remember paying last year. Half of our party cancelled their reservation, and the tour concierge refunded their money without any hassle.

Overall, Westin Siray Bay is a great property. I had a lovely stay. Excellent hospitality. great amenities. I wish it was better connected to other sights and had a nicer beach. But if you like seclusion, tranquility and relaxation, this Westin is an ideal place to stay.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms face eastward. If money is no object, get a pool villa for a truly luxurious exper...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GumdropGirl,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at The Westin Siray Bay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the peace and had a relaxing stay with us.

Thank you for sharing the insights with other travelers here. My team and I are glad that you enjoyed everything from our room to dining experience.

Should you plan for another restful holidays, The Westin Siray Bay is always here to welcome you back.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Had an amazing first stop in Thailand at the Westin. Incredibly friendly staff - special mention to Fresh and the wait staff at Eest who made dinner the first night of our honeymoon extra special - lovely large villa rooms with spectacular views. I can't imagine a more romantic way to start a honeymoon than sitting in the pool, drinking a fresh fruit cocktail and watching the sun set. Don't stay here if you want to be in the heart of the action (although Phuket Town/Patong is only a short trip away), do stay here if you want stunning views, friendly staff, outstanding service in a peaceful and relaxing location. Would happily go back to the Westin again!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Panny12,

Thank you for sharing with us your stay experience. I am glad to read that you had such an amazing time celebrating your honeymoon at The Westin Siray Bay.

It is wonderful that you enjoyed everything from our villa, views to dining experience and that you had a memorable romantic time staying with us.

Once again, thank you for your lovely review and I hope to welcome you back to The Westin Siray Bay again in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have not even checked into the hotel and I am already appalled by its practices. I made a reservation through Starwood for the Upgrade Offer and received a confirmation email that the cancellation policy is "Cancel by 6:00 PM Hotel time 3 days prior to avoid 1 Night penalty.". One day after I made the reservation, I received an email from Jetiya Potiworagarn of the hotel claiming that the "promotion “Upgrade offer” its condition, Fully pre-paid. Non-refundable, Non-changeable as notice through Term & Condition that you have been informed before making online reservation. Therefore, the credit card which is provided while making online reservation have debiteted for reservation deposit, the receipt is attached.".

For the record, it is 8 days before my check-in date.

As for my request for an early check-in, the email says "Anyway, Referring to the resort policy;Check in time is at 15:00 and check out time is 12:00.". It looks like the hotel is also not going to honour my SPG Gold status which gives me a 4 pm late checkout.

In all my years of staying at Starwood hotels, I have never encountered such a dishonest and distasteful practice of changing the cancellation policy unilaterally and debiting my credit card without my approval.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Pavel T,

Thank you for taking your time to provide your review.

I thank you for choosing to book your stay with us and sincerely apologize for the confusion. Please kindly contact me directly via e-mail with your reservation details at thomas.mueller@westin.com We will process the refund to your credit card immediately.

As we always endeavor to honor early arrivals or late departures for our SPG gold & platinum members whenever possible, please include in your e-mail of your request for an early check-in. It is subject to availability on the day, however, we will do our best to accommodate your request.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

we stayed for 3 nights at this property and had to request for a change of rooms 3 times! the first room allocated was right next to the entire block's air conditioner units. we noticed the noise level when we were shown the room but were assured that it was cos the AC for our room was just 'starting up' hence the noise. we had to endure the noise the entire night (with earplugs) before we switched rooms the next day. the next room they gave us smelled like a pigsty. again, they assured us that it was cos they had just cleaned the room and that they would spray it to conceal the smell. we left our luggage there and went out the entire day only to return to that disgusting stench. had to wait and waste a whole lot of time before they allocated us another room, completely unacceptable. and apparently they know about this sewage problem in that particular room/block!
in the last and final room, the AC broke down just as we were about to sleep. the only good thing about this is that the repairmen came quickly and managed to get the AC up and running within 1.5 hours. so good on them.

other than these problems, the property is lovely, clean (however we found a long hair in the unopened plastic comb given as part of the hotel toiletries!) and has great views. for those worrying about the distance from lobby to room, a buggy is easily available at all times and its a pleasant walk anyway. its true that the resort is a distance away from basically anywhere and to get out you need to take the shuttle or hire a cab , these costs can and will add up so be aware of it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear lilybulb,

Thank you for your review. Your feedback is very important to us as it allows us to continually improve our product and service.

Please allow me to apologize as we unfortunately have not managed to deliver an experience in line with your expectations. I am sorry about the issues in the room particularly the air conditioner. We will take your feedback on board and make progressive improvement to the area you have mentioned.

Thank you again for your feedback. I do hope you will allow us another opportunity in the future to restore your faith in The Westin Siray Bay.

Thomas Mueller

Been to The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!