“Just what I was looking for.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pineapple Guesthouse

You added Pineapple Guesthouse to your Saves list
Pineapple Guesthouse
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   291 / 4 Patak Road | Karon Plaza, Karon, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #7 of 76 Karon B&B and Inns
4.5 of 5 stars 146 Reviews
Australia
“Just what I was looking for.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

I stayed at the Pineapple for over a week in January 2011; two nights in a private room, the rest in the dorm. I loved it, extended my stay after my initial booking, and would come back any time. The Pineapple is comfortable and welcoming with almost a family atmosphere, which was a real bonus for a solo traveller: I found it easy to meet people there. It's that friendliness that is the guesthouse's main asset.

The place is also clean and safe. It's very well located, convenient to Karon beach, shops, eateries and bars. You can walk to Kata and to Karon night markets.

Note that it is not a 5 star resort. Nor is it as expensive as a resort.

Another TA reviewer stated the Pineapple is "located in a very seedy, tacky area" — in my opinion that's untrue. There's a small bar at the end of the street that sometimes gets noisy at night, but it didn't bother me in the slightest and it's easily avoided. Apart from that the Pineapple shares its street with other accommodation places, a good restaurant (Mama Noi), and a travel shop & commercial tailor that I barely noticed. The "seedy" bars are in a different part of town, and in Karon they're not even very seedy.

You know how, when someone goes off travelling, you hope they'll be okay? The Pineapple is the sort of place you hope they'll find.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

I booked my stay with Steve through email. When I arrived, Steve showed me the room. It was clean. The air-cond really works. Lek helped me organise my daily outings at good prices. The Pineapple served excellent meals. The beach is just a short walk away. Take a nice relaxing scroll. A handy 7-11 is just around the corner. The staff together with Steve and Lek made me feel very comfortable staying at the Pineapple Guesthouse.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Just arrived home last night from another great stay at the Pineapple. This year we stayed in the 2 bed apt. Last year in the guest house. Both times were great. Steve and Lek are always very hospitable and helpful. This is a home away from home. Very casual, comfortable and clean. The cafe attached serves great Thai food as well as western food. All the staff are helpful and very pleasant. The location is perfect for the beach, shops, bars....whatever you want. First week of our trip was spent in a resort approx. 1/2 hr. north. The experience didn't compare to the time spent at the Pineapple. If all goes well, we plan on returning for a month next December. Thanks once again Steve, Lek, Gina and Jo.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Milford, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

Loved my stay and felt befriended by the owner and help. Not my first trip to Thailand but my first trip to Phuket. I wasnt sure where to stay so called Pineapple from home before leaving. I was told not to worry, if they didnt have a room, they would help find me one! Very personable, well in my comfort zone, small enough to have helpful conversation and your breakfast custom made, loved it!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

I arrived at the Pineapple Guesthouse on November 15 and was scheduled to stay there for two nights. Upon arriving, I had the pleasure of meeting the owner whose name is Steve. He was incredibly nice, and helped me carry my bags up to my room. Upon entering the room, he was kind enough to show me how the safe worked and he also pointed out instructions that were written in English. A very nice touch right off the bat. The last place I stayed in had a safe as well, but no directions were given nor were there any written directions. Needless to say, I didn't use it there. Here, though, I took full advantage and used it.

Upon my first day, I completely fell in love with the location. It's a short walk (about 5 minutes) to the beach and it's a very easy walk. There were also many shopping and eating options withing very close distance, not to mention the fact that they have their own cafe downstairs which served some great meals. I had the bulk of my meals downstairs because I kept finding that everything I ordered tasted so good! Oh, and don't even get me started on the price. The prices were fantastic! I was having full meals for 70 baht or a little over 100 baht if I was very hungry!

The room itself was pretty good. I had a private room and it was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was nice, although my hot water wasn't exactly hot. It wasn't cold, but not very hot either. This didn't really bother me though as it was warm enough to shower comfortably. The room also had a fridge (with water), TV, desk and dresser to hang up your clothes. The view was nothing spectacular, but seriously when you have the beach 5 minutes away why do you want to sit in your room and look out the window?!?!? The room also had great wifi for those traveling with a laptop. If not, Pineapple Guesthouse also offers a complimentary computer with internet so you can check e-mails or surf the web. This was a very nice touch also.

Customer service here was incredible. I had forgotten a beach towel when I traveled here, and Steve let me borrow one during my stay completely free of charge. They also have beach toys that you can borrow and take down to the beach along with swim goggles. It was the little things like this that made me absolutely love the place. Steve & Lek have such a good grasp on customer service and it definitely shows that they genuinely care about their guests by offering little things like this. Steve also was nice enough to help me book a tour with a local shop for about 200 baht cheaper than I could find anywhere in Patong.

If you're expecting a 4 Seasons or Hilton experience, you will be sorely disappointed at this guesthouse. However, if you're looking for a spacious room that's close to the beach and offers amenities that a lot of guesthouses don't offer (not to mention superb customer service), I would definitely recommend this place. I loved this place so much I ended up canceling my next stop and stayed for an additional two nights. I loved it that much.

Definitely worth checking out!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Winchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

EXCELLENT LOCATION; 5 minute walk to Karon Beach/ less than a minute to the famous ‘7- Eleven’ convenient store, less than 5 minutes to local shops, bars, restaurants and tour agents.

GREAT ROOMS; I stayed in the dorm mostly but spent one night in a twin room. The dorms are great value for money (only 200 baht/ night at peak season!!!). All the rooms are very clean but for the more sophisticated traveller, be advised there is no AC in the dorm (ALTHOUGH I THINK IT WILL BE INSTALLED IN THE NEAR FUTURE) and the water isn’t too warm! Although, at equally great value, the double. /twin rooms do and have little luxury extras!

FRIENDLY STAFF; very friendly staff, happy to help with any travel needs from airport transfers, tours, finding accommodation (when fully booked!) As a first time female solo traveller to Asia I felt very safe and welcomed here.

Had an overall great experience staying at the Pineapple Guesthouse, would stay again and definitely would recommend. Thank-you to Steve and your family for all your help!

(Natasha, December 2009)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

Pineapple Guesthouse seemed ok to me off the bat. The rooms are fine and you get what you pay for in that regards. Nothing fancy, but everything you need. And the location in Karon is very nice with a pleasant ten minute walk to the beach which passes through numerous shopping and dining areas.

This changed quickly on the third night of my stay when I woke up at 4 a.m. with bite marks all over my body after being eaten alive by small ants. I have never been so uncomfortable in my life. I was actually terrified to go to sleep the next night. I typically won't write bad reviews for hotels because I know how much it can damage business, but this was way too much.

Bottom line is had I known about this issue I would have gladly handed over a few more dollars to stay in a place without the bugs and hassles that came along with it as I had bite marks on my body for a solid week afterwards.

I would stay away from this place. Period.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
madmitchphuket, Owner at Pineapple Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 9, 2010
I've only just seen this review.

I've suffered many ant-bites since living in Thailand so I know what they are like. I've come across ants in much more expensive hotel rooms than ours. I personally react quite badly to them.

I don't remember this particular incident but i am aware of about three or four ant problems in four years at this guesthouse, all of which were caused by guests leaving food about or dropping something sweet on the floor. Only one room at a time was ever affected. As soon as the food is cleared the ants disappear.

We do our best to keep rooms clean and there are no ants' nests in any of our rooms but this is the tropics ants thrive here and the fact this occurred in the middle of the night implies to me that it was nothing to do with our cleanliness or hygiene.

Look at our other reviews and there are no incidents with bugs. This is a one off review that I wish I had seen earlier.

Been to Pineapple Guesthouse? Share your experiences!